PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for dancing in Leicester area?

Gus
21st-February-2007, 07:11 PM
Due to sins against humanity I'm being exiled to Leicester (during the week) for a month or so. As I'm reliably informed that nightlife in the area is to be avoided at all costs, any recommendations as to weekly MJ classes worth visiting/avoiding?

Achaeco
21st-February-2007, 07:50 PM
Due to sins against humanity I'm being exiled to Leicester (during the week) for a month or so. As I'm reliably informed that nightlife in the area is to be avoided at all costs, any recommendations as to weekly MJ classes worth visiting/avoiding?

Gus. The night life is ok in Leicester, just make sure you wear your stab vest.

The MJ venue in Leicester is run by Alex Faulkner and he is a very good teacher (are you listening Alex) but the dancers there are nornaly very new to MJ.
I spent a couple of years going to Leicester and had to stop when all the faces you knew stopped going.

I would without a doubt AVOID it and get in your car. Rugby on a thursday is well worth going to, Marcus Garvey is again well worth it. Thats on Tuesdays and thursdays and is in Nottingham.

Northants Girly
21st-February-2007, 07:52 PM
Forget Leicester Ceroc :sick:

However, Rugby Ceroc isn't too far away and is definitely worth a visit on a Thursday :D (there's been a few threads/posts about this recently if you do a search)

I've heard good things about Marcus Garvey in Nottingham on Monday nights too

I lived in Leicester for a long time and I thought the nightlife wasn't too bad - better than Northampton!

Jivecat and Mr/Mrs Warwick live there so they might be able to help you out more :flower:

Northants Girly
21st-February-2007, 07:54 PM
Achaeco beat me to it!

DavidY
21st-February-2007, 08:35 PM
I would without a doubt AVOID it and get in your car. Rugby on a thursday is well worth going to, Marcus Garvey is again well worth it. Thats on Tuesdays and thursdays and is in Nottingham.Marcus Garvey (as run by Ceroc Central anyway) is on Mondays and Wednesdays (not Tuesdays and Thursdays).

MG on a Monday night is well established and busy. :clap:
MG on a Wednesday is quite new and pretty quiet.
There's also West Bridgford in Nottingham on Thursdays (but I prefer Rugby).

Tuesdays offer Northampton to the South (I went last night and didn't have a bad night, but there seemed to be more grippy, bouncy types than elsewhere :sick: ) or (non Ceroc) Pulse to the North (near Jn26 of the M1). Not been to Pulse a Tuesday night for a while so don't know what it's like, but the monthly-ish Saturday freestyles are busy and popular (not that this proves anything about the weekly class).

Wednesdays you could try Ceroc South Birmingham's venue at Sutton Coldfield/Castle Vale (which is to the North of Birmingham :rolleyes:). Again I've not been for a while but Andy Bragg is a good teacher..

Probably some others I've missed...
HTH

Yogi_Bear
21st-February-2007, 10:15 PM
How far do you want to travel? Leicester itself may be no great shakes but head in any direction and there are many opportunities, including Nottingham, Coventry, Rugby, Daventry, Nuneaton, Derby, Northampton, Rushden, Kettering......

In terms of modern jive the main player is Ceroc Central. The website is rather tortuous in my opinion compared with its previous incarnation, but they are (I think) the largest such franchise outside London. I would particularly recommend Thursdays in Rugby, with Marc and Rachel teaching, a very friendly crowd, and a DJ who isn't afraid to play music well outside the MJ mainstream. Also recommended are the quarterly Daventry weekend events if they happen to be on the right dates fro you, and the Bedford Corn Exchange events.

You also have Blitz Jive in Coventry, Jive Vibe in Rushden, Pulse in Beeston (Nottingham) and check out the Blue Room (monthly at the same venue as Pulse).

Besides Mj there are of course opportunities to dance Argentine tango, west coast swing, lindy hop and doubtless others without having to travel too far from Leicester.

Gus
22nd-February-2007, 01:13 AM
Many thnaks guys. I know MG very well from days of yore and know Jive Fever when they were 'Blitz Coventry'. Dissapointed to hear about the standard of the local club ... but seems like an excuse to travel a bit. Any specific directions to the WCS?:grin:

drathzel
22nd-February-2007, 01:31 AM

oh i am feeling deja vu!

Dan Hudson
22nd-February-2007, 07:47 AM
cool:clap: when i am exiled to coventry for a few days in the not too distant future:what: :what:

we can do beers:cheers: ..... at least that means you will meet one normal person:devil:

Gus
22nd-February-2007, 08:36 AM
cool:clap: when i am exiled to coventry for a few days in the not too distant future:what: :what: we can do beers:cheers: ..... at least that means you will meet one normal person:devil:Since when does a Southern wannabe-DJ wannabe-instructor with bad hair count as a normal person??? :wink: Fear not, would be good to introduce you to the land NORTH of Watford where all the good dancers are:devil: :devil:

Cruella
22nd-February-2007, 09:05 AM
cool:clap: when i am exiled to coventry for a few days in the not too distant future:what: :what:

we can do beers:cheers: ..... at least that means you will meet one normal person:devil:

Thanks Dan, love you too! :wink:

Yogi_Bear
22nd-February-2007, 09:09 AM
Many thnaks guys. I know MG very well from days of yore and know Jive Fever when they were 'Blitz Coventry'. Dissapointed to hear about the standard of the local club ... but seems like an excuse to travel a bit. Any specific directions to the WCS?:grin:
I will send you a PM on WCS

Northants Girly
22nd-February-2007, 11:30 AM
Any specific directions to the WCS?That reminds me . . . . . . somewhere I forgot to mention!

Last week I heard about a new club called JustDance (http://www.justdance.org.uk/index.html) opening in Market Harborough (not far from Leicester) on Tuesdays. Their emphasis is gonna be on WCS I believe :)

Yogi_Bear
22nd-February-2007, 11:32 AM
That reminds me . . . . . . somewhere I forgot to mention!

Last week I heard about a new club called JustDance (http://www.justdance.org.uk/index.html) opening in Market Harborough (not far from Leicester) on Tuesdays. Their emphasis is gonna be on WCS I believe :)
Yep, I've pointed Gus in that direction too, as well as Corby WCS and Rushden...I even go to Corby WCS myself :innocent:

Lost Leader
22nd-February-2007, 06:26 PM
Rugby on Thursdays is good - it has a very nice floor and Marc and Rachel teaching. Not quite so sure abut the music (its not bad but not great imo.) You might also want to try Daventry on a Monday, again a nice venue with a new DJ who is showing a lot of promise. Emma Petit is the normal teacher but as she is pregnant she has recently only been doing the intermediate class and I guess it wont be too many more weeks before she has to give up entirely for a while. The best nights I have had recently have been at Milton Keynes on Wednesday - again it is Marc and Rachel teaching and it is a very plush venue with a suprisingly even gender balance. I might be at any or all of these venues myself.

Hope you manage to find somewhere good to dance and interested to hear any feedback in due course on the different venues.

Northants Girly
22nd-February-2007, 06:37 PM
Daventry on a Monday . . .A friend of a friend went there last year and took her Mum. She'd not been dancing that long and it was her Mum's first time. They got there early and found 2 chairs on a table. Then some of the regulars came in and asked them to move tables cos that was where they (the regulars) normally sat! :eek:

friendly eh?

needless to say it isn't one of my weekday haunts :whistle:

DavidY
22nd-February-2007, 07:14 PM
Rugby on Thursdays is good. Not quite so sure abut the music (its not bad but not great imo.) You might also want to try Daventry on a Monday, again a nice venue with a new DJ who is showing a lot of promise. I thought Chris (the regular DJ at Rugby) is also the DJ at Daventry on Mondays. :confused:

Has Chris stopped doing Daventry now (he hadn't been there for very long, I'm sure)?

Northants Girly
22nd-February-2007, 07:33 PM
I thought Chris (the regular DJ at Rugby) is also the DJ at Daventry on Mondays. :confused:

Has Chris stopped doing Daventry now (he hadn't been there for very long, I'm sure)?That's right. Chris dosn't do Daventry but he does do Rugby.

In fact I was introduced to the new Daventry DJ at MK last night - his name is Roy . . . . or is it Ray? :confused:

(I always get mixed up with Roys/Rays :o . . . I also get mixed up with Keiths/Trevours - goodness knows why!)

Lost Leader
22nd-February-2007, 08:30 PM
A friend of a friend went there last year and took her Mum. She'd not been dancing that long and it was her Mum's first time. They got there early and found 2 chairs on a table. Then some of the regulars came in and asked them to move tables cos that was where they (the regulars) normally sat! :eek:

friendly eh?

needless to say it isn't one of my weekday haunts :whistle:

I am somewhat surprised (and disappointed) to hear this story. I have generally found Daventry to be a very friendly venue and that is one of the reasons I like it. That said there will always be one or two less than friendly types at any venue. Shame that your friend of a friend happened to encounter these individuals that particular night. I guess a lot of us have places we prefer to sit at our regular venues but I would never dream of asking someone else to move because they were sitting in "my" chair.

sidney
23rd-February-2007, 11:10 AM
That reminds me . . . . . . somewhere I forgot to mention!

If it right that this new club is gonna be teaching WCS then I would be interested in going to it, but not if it is another MJ, as I reach a stage where I have become stalemate with MJ, but nowhere to go local in Leics to do other types of dance apart from salsa which I have done a bit this year. It be great if someone could start a blues class and WCS in Leics as it is crying out for some new blood.:sad:

Yogi_Bear
23rd-February-2007, 11:19 AM
If it right that this new club is gonna be teaching WCS then I would be interested in going to it, but not if it is another MJ, as I reach a stage where I have become stalemate with MJ, but nowhere to go local in Leics to do other types of dance apart from salsa which I have done a bit this year. It be great if someone could start a blues class and WCS in Leics as it is crying out for some new blood.:sad:
You should also consider the fortnightly Sunday morning WCS classes at Corby, see http://www.uk-wcs.co.uk/ for links
and jive vibe at Rushden also....

sidney
23rd-February-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for that Yoga Bear, I was told about that class, because it is ever two weeks and a bit far to go on a regular basis, as I have to take in the cost of petrol,class chargesetc. There must be a lot of rich members on the forum when I read where they are going every weekend and all those weekenders. I am having to be very careful this year with my money so I am having to be selective where I go and sharing the car with others, but I have cut down a lot compared to last year as I relised it was starting to get of control.:sad: