PDA

View Full Version : Why do you ask?

Mythical
21st-February-2007, 12:45 AM
So, partly following on from this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9544), and partly becuase I got more dances out of pity on Sunday than out of smilng and people knowing me at my regular lesson, (three to nil!) Guys, what, if anything makes you ask a lady to dance? And what makes you decide not to?

StokeBloke
21st-February-2007, 12:56 AM
Guys, what, if anything makes you ask a lady to dance?
There are a bazillion reasons why I ask to ask anyone to dance - ladies or men. I do love to have a challenge. That means I will ask a newbie-death-grip-bouncy-stagger-round-in-a-circle type dancer, or a champion and anyone in between.

And what makes you decide not to?
If I am new to a venue I will tend to be a bit shy about asking people to dance. The main reason I don't ask people is if I have danced with them in the intermediate lesson and they were appauling to dance with. One of the bonuses of doing the lesson. Also if they hide away in the corner I tend to leave them alone too, in case they are hiding away for a reason. Although that won't stop me if they are very pretty [TB's not reading this is she shhh] :wink:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 12:58 AM
I got more dances out of pity on Sunday than out of smilng and people knowing me

I wouldn't worry about it, I didn't even get pity dances on Sunday :tears:

Ooooh this is gonna be a fun thread, think I will grab some popcorn and wait for the party to start....... cos this has never been discussed before :rofl:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:02 AM
Guys, what, if anything makes you ask a lady to dance? And what makes you decide not to?

Only just twigged on this....
Why weren't you doing the asking?

Jhutch
21st-February-2007, 01:04 AM
Oooh, chance for another poll?:yum:

I got more dances out of pity on Sunday

:really: Don't be so hard on yourself - most people know what it was like to have just started out and will want to encourage you - i think that seeing it purely as 'pity' is a bit harsh. After all, it is supposed to be a social thing rather than a competition!

I don't really have a set system for asking people. In terms of the other two things you mention then i do tend to ask people i know. Smiling is less of an issue for me though - i may be more likely to ask someone who is not smiling actually as they may be having a bit of a bad night or be a beginner feeling a bit nervous. At the end of the day, it often tends to be whoever is unfortunate enough to be standing near me at the time that i haven't already danced with during that evening. I don't ask women twice unless i really do know them fairly well. One group i don't really ask are the women who are really good as i just feel that my repitition of first moves and yo-yos might be a bit below them:blush: Women who i have bad dances with in the past i will ask again quite happily - as we all know it is always the man's fault:wink: so it makes me wonder if i could lead them better next time.

I don't really match women to songs yet - have probably only asked on this basis two or three times.

angelique
21st-February-2007, 01:05 AM
Pass the popcorn Witty, am gonna sit back and watch with interest, cos it's you and me both girl, that don't get asked to dance! :flower:

Who knows, I may even do the robotic routine for good measure if you dare to ask me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:09 AM
Pass the popcorn Witty, am gonna sit back and watch with interest, cos it's you and me both girl, that don't get asked to dance! :flower:

I've concluded that it's because all the other women need more practice than us :D Well that's my story anyway :rofl:

Who knows, I may even do the robotic routine for good measure if you dare to ask me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah baby, I can't wait.
I wish I'd filmed it now :respect:

Mythical
21st-February-2007, 01:09 AM
Only just twigged on this....
Why weren't you doing the asking?

Today i was. Lots and lots of it. Most guys were nice enough to say yes, so I did get to dance plenty.

On Sunday, everyone was so good, I was scared to ask to start with - then the first guy i asked refused, and all the confidence I'd built up ran away and hid.

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:13 AM
On Sunday, everyone was so good, I was scared to ask to start with - then the first guy i asked refused, and all the confidence I'd built up ran away and hid.

Where were you sat cos I was there on Sunday and I didnt dance much either

angelique
21st-February-2007, 01:13 AM
Yeah baby, I can't wait.
I wish I'd filmed it now :respect:

:what: :what:

U mean u didn't ??
I have been keeping a sharp eye on Youtube in case you bu**ers had posted it on there! :wink:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:16 AM
:what: :what:

U mean u didn't ??
I have been keeping a sharp eye on Youtube in case you bu**ers had posted it on there! :wink:

Believe me I'd pay good money for that, unfortunately it was a spur of the moment thing and I didn't have my camera, just thinking about it makes me wanna pee my pants :whistle:

Mythical
21st-February-2007, 01:16 AM
Where were you sat cos I was there on Sunday and I didnt dance much either

In the corner behind you

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:18 AM
In the corner behind you

Well why didn't you say hello? You could obviously see I WASNT dancing that much so why not chat?

Mythical
21st-February-2007, 01:21 AM
Well why didn't you say hello? You could obviously see I WASNT dancing that much so why not chat?

Because I didn't know who you were until fletch pointed everyone out in pictures for me.

angelique
21st-February-2007, 01:22 AM
Where was all this non-dancing going on?

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:23 AM
Because I didn't know who you were until fletch pointed everyone out in pictures for me.

Yeah, whatever, righto :rolleyes:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:27 AM
Where was all this non-dancing going on?

It was at Bromsgrove Tdance on Sunday :wink: I find it highly amusing that people have no idea who I am, but then again there are hardly any pictures posted of me all over the forum and Fletch didnt advertise the fact that I would be there so it's no wonder really. :what:

I'm now officially bored. :na: Even more so than I was on *** *** **** * * ** **. so :na: :na:

StokeBloke
21st-February-2007, 01:40 AM
See, you should have hung on until I got there and there was someone who wasn't so good to dance with.

I did dance with you though Witty, thanks for the dances you always make me look good on the floor (even in my Witty hat) :rofl:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:49 AM
See, you should have hung on until I got there and there was someone who wasn't so good to dance with.

She was there when you were there :rolleyes:

I did dance with you though Witty, thanks for the dances you always make me look good on the floor (even in my Witty hat) :rofl:

You really cheered me up bringing that 'SFH' out. It was lovely to see both of you again on Sunday and I really enjoy dancing with you. :waycool:

Believe you me you were one of the best dances I'd had that day :love:

Ghost
21st-February-2007, 01:55 AM
So, partly following on from this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9544), and partly becuase I got more dances out of pity on Sunday than out of smilng and people knowing me at my regular lesson, (three to nil!) Guys, what, if anything makes you ask a lady to dance? And what makes you decide not to?

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." -
-- Hebrews 13:2, The Bible

Reasons to ask
- they're near
- I know them
- they're cute
- they're practically dancing already
- I haven't danced with them yet
- their friend just asked me to dance with them
- so the guy who's about to ask them will hopefully ask the person next to them who really wants to dance with them
- I won't see them again for a while
- I associate the song with them
- they look happy
- they look sad (and I think I've got a decent shot at cheering them up)
- no-one's asking them (for some bizarre reason this often means they're a REALLY good dancer :confused: )
- they're chronologically gifted (again tends to have a fair amount of experience)
- they know Jango
- I've mistaken them for someone I know

Reasons not to ask
- someone will get hurt
- it's a fast song, they like to dance slow and I really want to dance fast
- someone else is about to ask them who I know they really want to dance with

Jamie
21st-February-2007, 01:57 AM
What makes me want to ask a follower to dance (sorry, I ask guys too! I'm not sexist!) it's mostly because they look like they can follow... I don't go for major styling, it's a bit off putting, I like a little styling, but enough to keep me interested and not OTT... I ask people who are recommended to me, and sometimes I ask them because I just want to dance and they're the nearest one to me... George Moss got a taste of that when I turned round to a group of people at Southport and said who can WCS??!?! :rofl:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 02:02 AM
"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." -
-- Hebrews 13:2, The Bible

" Be not rudeth to the wittier one as she will cometh and taketh your ice skates away"
Rebekah 32:3 game:set:match, The Witty Manuals

StokeBloke
21st-February-2007, 02:06 AM
What makes me want to ask a follower to dance (sorry, I ask guys too! I'm not sexist!) it's mostly because they look like they can follow... I don't go for major styling, it's a bit off putting, I like a little styling, but enough to keep me interested and not OTT... I ask people who are recommended to me, and sometimes I ask them because I just want to dance and they're the nearest one to me... George Moss got a taste of that when I turned round to a group of people at Southport and said who can WCS??!?! :rofl:
Ohhh yeah, seeing Jaime there reminds me of another reason that I'll ask someone for a dance.... they make me look like I know what I'm doing :D

Ghost
21st-February-2007, 02:07 AM
" Be not rudeth to the wittier one as she will cometh and taketh your ice skates away"
I'm mindful to always ask you to dance - politely :wink:

And am suitably rewarded for my good deeds :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

StokeBloke
21st-February-2007, 02:24 AM

Stokie 3:16. Lo it is written, that who so ever asketh witty to dance shall be rewarded with an abundance of happiness. But woe to the one who is rude unto witty, for the fleas of 1,000 camels shall infest their crotch.

:wink:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 02:35 AM
I'm mindful to always ask you to dance - politely :wink:

You are :D

And am suitably rewarded for my good deeds :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You are so lovely :grin:

Stokie 3:16

I didn't realise you were 3 years old and 16 months :wink:

Lo it is written, that who so ever asketh witty to dance shall be rewarded with an abundance of happiness. But woe to the one who is rude unto witty, for the fleas of 1,000 camels shall infest their crotch.

I am laughing so much :rofl: Can I borrow your copy of HTWFAIP please?

Jamie
21st-February-2007, 02:51 AM
Stokie 3:16. Lo it is written, that who so ever asketh witty to dance shall be rewarded with an abundance of happiness. But woe to the one who is rude unto witty, for the fleas of 1,000 camels shall infest their crotch.

:wink:

I'm still waiting on this... :whistle:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 02:58 AM
I'm still waiting on this... :whistle:

Run Forrest...........

Believe me pal, your skating.

Cruella
21st-February-2007, 09:00 AM
I didn't even get pity dances on Sunday

REALLY? That surprises me. :rolleyes:

David Bailey
21st-February-2007, 09:24 AM
Anyway, to answer the question

If it's someone I don't know, and if I haven't seen them dancing, then it's usually, in order of importance:

Attitude (looking like they want to dance)
Position (standing up near the floor, not sitting down on a table chatting to a mate)
Looks (yes, I know I'll get more comments on this than the other two...)

Cruella
21st-February-2007, 09:27 AM
Anyway, to answer the question..snip..

So what is the reasoning for 'not' asking some people you do know? :whistle:

fletch
21st-February-2007, 09:30 AM
OK so here is my two peneth for what its worth.

I apologise now to the people that have heard this story before.:rolleyes:

When I first travelled to London I didn't know what people were going to be like, so I said the girls I was with 'biggest smile be friendly and we will need to ask' it worked and I have never had a problem in getting dances.:na:

Threads like this are really getting up my nose.:mad:

If you want a dance get off your ar$e smile and ask or sit in the corner or the middle of the room looking unappreciable and stop bleating on about how no one asks you, the choice is yours.:(

:flower:

JiveLad
21st-February-2007, 10:01 AM
.........proximity.

StokeBloke
21st-February-2007, 10:02 AM
here is my two peneth for what its worth.
That'll be 2p then :hug: .... now I am just waiting for my slap! :flower:

fletch
21st-February-2007, 10:10 AM
That'll be 2p then :hug: .... now I am just waiting for my slap! :flower:

You might have done a few minutes ago. let put it down to me getting out of the bed the wrong side.:rolleyes:

its just there are some NICE guys that go to the 't' dance, they might not be 'the best dancers' or have the 'most confidence' but they are nice and are friendly, sometimes its up to us to make the first move, just to put people at ease, why should we expect that they have more confidence and will come to us, life isn't like that. :flower:

moan over i'm going out shopping hopefully that will put me in a better mood.:na:

:hug:

David Bailey
21st-February-2007, 10:45 AM
So what is the reasoning for 'not' asking some people you do know? :whistle:
Different question - I assumed the thread was about "stranger dancing" rather than the wide and complex area of social interaction... :grin:

David Bailey
21st-February-2007, 10:47 AM
its just there are some NICE guys that go to the 't' dance
I'm almost curious enough about this "Bromsgrove T dance" thing to go myself.

Almost.

StokeBloke
21st-February-2007, 11:22 AM

Almost.
Probably best if you don't come David. I'm sure it's not really your thing at all :wink:

Lory
21st-February-2007, 11:49 AM
If i've previously danced with them and they've said they really enjoyed it, then they'll automatically be on the top of my list for next time.. nothing beats dancing with someone that your sure likes dancing with you too:clap:

They look happy, relaxed and confident:grin: :na: :waycool: (I know its a bit harsh but I don't really enjoy dancing with people who feel tense, worried and serious... I wouldn't refuse them but wouldn't go out of my way to ask them either, its too much like hard work:sick: )

They've been recommended :yum: (I do love the girls network :wink: )

They can do different styles, appropriate to the music that's playing:worthy:

They happen to be walking past:)

I've never danced with them before

Reasons I wouldn't ask...

They make me feel inadequate (and weirdly, its NEVER the really good dancers that do this)
They smell
They're rough
Can't dance in time
I've seen them tipping people upside down and dancing dangerously
Too serious
They have no manners (from a previous experience)
I've had a tip off that I should avoid them for whatever reason

Dreadful Scathe
21st-February-2007, 12:05 PM

Because I want to dance :)

I find it highly amusing that people have no idea who I am

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM ?? :)

..I suggest a t-shirt bearing aforementioned slogan :)

killingtime
21st-February-2007, 12:21 PM
Guys, what, if anything makes you ask a lady to dance? And what makes you decide not to?

Well the voice in my head (of my non-specified deity) tells me that my world would be complete if I just danced with this one person for this track. That person is then bathed in a glowing light. Then another woman taps me on the shoulder and asks me to dance and I dance with her instead.

When I get the chance to ask (some places when the ratio is really weighted toward women it can take a long time before I get a chance) there are a lot of factors that go into who I try and get. There are those people I really wanted to dance with in an evening and I'll probably try and get a dance with them (least I miss them the whole evening). Sometimes I'll fancy a dance with someone I never met before so I'll look for someone I don't recognise. Other times it will be the closest follower who looks like they want to dance.

Lloyd witters about this stuff (http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/dance/askbeasked.html) on his site about trying to increase your chances of being asked. I say ignore all that though and go ask people to dance :D.

fletch
21st-February-2007, 12:55 PM

Almost.

well thats your choice :rolleyes:

all I would say is that IMO Midlanders aren't that different from anywhere else in th UK, don't just expect people to fall over themselve to ask you to dance when they don't know you, go with an open mind, and a freindly aproch, funny its seems to work wonders for me :whistle:

They look happy, relaxed and confident:grin: :na: :waycool: (I know its a bit harsh but I don't really enjoy dancing with people who feel tense, worried and serious... I wouldn't refuse them but wouldn't go out of my way to ask them either, its too much like hard work:sick: )

They've been recommended :yum: (I do love the girls network :wink: )

Reasons I wouldn't ask...

They make me feel inadequate (and weirdly, its NEVER the really good dancers that do this)
They smell
They're rough
Can't dance in time
I've seen them tipping people upside down and dancing dangerously
Too serious
They have no manners (from a previous experience)
I've had a tip off that I should avoid them for whatever reason

:yeah:

the boys have a network to :what:

I think we all want to dance with relaxed friendly people who make us feel good and not 'not good enough' :sick:

killingtime
21st-February-2007, 01:03 PM
the boys have a network to :what:

We do :confused:? Is it a VPN or something? Do I need an account, what's the address? Why has no one told me about this :tears:?

David Bailey
21st-February-2007, 01:20 PM
well thats your choice :rolleyes:
Always is.

all I would say is that IMO Midlanders aren't that different from anywhere else in th UK, don't just expect people to fall over themselve to ask you to dance when they don't know you, go with an open mind, and a freindly aproch, funny its seems to work wonders for me :whistle:
Open mind? :what: Friendly approach? :what: Me? :eek:

What are these things of which you speak? :confused: :na:

We do :confused:? Is it a VPN or something? Do I need an account, what's the address? Why has no one told me about this :tears:?
It's a Secret; it's like the identities of the Ten.

Jamie
21st-February-2007, 01:50 PM
have you neaver hear guy's saying. goodness she's a misserable c*w, :rolleyes: or who does she think she is?, :confused: I bet you dash across the floor slide and do a pirouette in front of her before asking her to dance :wink: :D :kiss:

:rofl:

I do that anyway! :devil:

Mezzosoprano
21st-February-2007, 01:56 PM

If it's someone I don't know, and if I haven't seen them dancing, then it's usually, in order of importance:

Position (standing up near the floor, not sitting down on a table chatting to a mate)

What!!!! Looks!!! am I allowed to say that I'm apalled. Nay, horrified at this! But, it's TRUE - the chickie babes get more dances than us "ordinary" looking folk!:sad:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:56 PM
It has been mentioned before ............Fletch you are differently a '10' I wondered what they were on about :wink: :na:

Well you know from experience they won't give you one :wink:

David Bailey
21st-February-2007, 02:50 PM
What!!!! Looks!!! am I allowed to say that I'm apalled. Nay, horrified at this! But, it's TRUE - the chickie babes get more dances than us "ordinary" looking folk!:sad:
What part of
If it's someone I don't know, and if I haven't seen them dancing, then it's usually, in order of importance didn't you read? :confused:

LMC
21st-February-2007, 02:57 PM
In no particular order, the reasons I ask someone to dance include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:

1) They happen to be stood there not dancing with anyone else
2) I know them and know I enjoy dancing with them
3) I don't know them but either i) they looked great leading someone else, so are possibly a good dancer or ii) they look like they are FUN
4) They are drop dead gorgeous (yeah, I'm shallow sometimes, so sue me - I don't believe that DJ and I are the only ones. So there.)
5) Because I want to be dancing (possibly *particularly* to this track 'cos I love it)
6) Occasionally, out of charity. Yep, that makes me Evil, but I don't believe I'm the only one who asks for that reason either, perhaps the only one to admit it. People dance with me out of charity sometimes (hopefully not as often as they did when I first started out!) - so it's good to "pay it forward".

StokeBloke
21st-February-2007, 05:41 PM
now i'm confussed :confused:

sleeper no this carn't be me, well not at the weekends anyway :na:
It would have been if you'd gone to Swish! By the sounds of it they were tucked up Zzzzz in their four posters by 1:30am :na: :na:

fletch
21st-February-2007, 06:52 PM
It would have been if you'd gone to Swish! By the sounds of it they were tucked up Zzzzz in their four posters by 1:30am :na: :na:

I have to say i'm not sorry I missed this weekender, I think it would just remind me I have no one to snuggle up to in a four poster bed :tears:

StokeBloke
21st-February-2007, 07:33 PM
I have to say i'm not sorry I missed this weekender, I think it would just remind me I have no one to snuggle up to in a four poster bed :tears:
I suppose you prefer the weekenders where you dance until breakfast, then grab a couple of hours crammed into a small apertment with a couple of other girls before starting all over again! :na:

Gav
21st-February-2007, 10:20 PM

How do you know they were pity dances? Did the fellas come up to you and say, do you want to dance? I only ask because I felt sorry for you.?

Why do I ask? Because I know you're a good dancer or because I have no idea whether you're a good dancer or not.

BTW, that doesn't mean that if I don't ask it's because I don't like dancing with you. It usually means that it's because I'm enjoying chatting or watching. Anyone got a shovel I can use to dig myself out of this hole?

Yogi_Bear
21st-February-2007, 11:03 PM
Reasons to ask:
I have had good dances with her before
I have always wanted to dance with her but haven't had the chance before
She is a great dancer
She must be a light follow
She looks like she could be a great dancer
She is attractive
I love this particular song and justhave to dance to it
She isn't getting many dances

Reasons not to ask:
I have had rotten dances with her before
I have had more than one refusal before
I have it on good authority that she will have a vice-like grip and will do her own thing regardless
She is twice my size
The music is rubbish and no way will I dance to this with anyone

frodo
22nd-February-2007, 12:56 AM

Decide to ask:

She clearly wants to dance.
I particularly want to dance to that track, and she is nearby..
She is nicely dressed / looks like she has made an effort..
She doesn't look like she is dancing much..
She has demonstrated knowledge of another dance style which I'd like to dance..
I haven't danced with her before..

Decide not to ask:

It would be awkward to get turned down where she is located..
She looks too far above my standard..
She looks fragile and the music is fast..
She is very good looking..
She has long nails, or is wearing big earings..
I want to impress her, for some reason, but something isn't ideal at that time.

Green-eyed Monsta
22nd-February-2007, 04:47 AM
Decide to ask: She is nicely dressed / looks like she has made an effort..

Decide not to ask: She is very good looking..

:confused: Oh that is just not playing fair!!!!:tears:

fletch
22nd-February-2007, 09:21 AM
I suppose you prefer the weekenders where you dance until breakfast, then grab a couple of hours crammed into a small apertment with a couple of other girls before starting all over again! :na:

Nope! not doing this again, its causes to much stress stoping on my own or with someon I feel I can defo share with wothout a problem, when you are tired its a long wekend to keep your gob shut :na:

How do you know they were pity dances? Did the fellas come up to you and say, do you want to dance? I only ask because I felt sorry for you.?

There is possibly a confidence thing going on hear :flower:

We all have 'em some aren't so viserble on some people :hug:

Cruella
22nd-February-2007, 09:33 AM

It makes total sense. He prefers mingers that are well dressed.
You can ask me anytime Frodo. :D
(Thought i'd get that in before RobD)

frodo
23rd-February-2007, 01:56 AM

Decide to ask:

She is nicely dressed / looks like she has made an effort..
Decide not to ask:

She is very good looking..

Actually that would be better put as 'extremely good looking'. I hope that's an improvement. :flower:

StokeBloke
23rd-February-2007, 02:58 AM
I wonder how many wonderful dances you guys have missed out on because of your huge array of reasons not to ask people to dance? Maybe you could try this. Find someone who fits into your 'wouldn't ask' list.... and ask them. If you are still alive at the end of the 3 minutes, try it again... you never know you may just have more fun than you thought imaginable.

Ask, ask, ask.....

Sheesh... some people need a damn good (HARD) beating with the fun stick on this forum! It's a laugh, it's fun, ask people to dance... it's why they paid good money to get in to the venue after all!

timbp
23rd-February-2007, 07:51 AM

Accepting the "if" conditions, then :yeah:

Tim

timbp
23rd-February-2007, 07:56 AM
I do love the girls network :wink:
That sounds useful. Can you post the URL and password?

fletch
23rd-February-2007, 08:32 AM
I wonder how many wonderful dances you guys have missed out on because of your huge array of reasons not to ask people to dance? Maybe you could try this. Find someone who fits into your 'wouldn't ask' list.... and ask them. If you are still alive at the end of the 3 minutes, try it again... you never know you may just have more fun than you thought imaginable.

Ask, ask, ask.....

Sheesh... some people need a damn good (HARD) beating with the fun stick on this forum! It's a laugh, it's fun, ask people to dance... it's why they paid good money to get in to the venue after all!

with all the man I dance with in all the venues I think there is only two people I won't dance with one makes me feel very unsafe,:eek: the othere is not worthy and really has refused once to often :sad:

dave the scaffolder
23rd-February-2007, 06:52 PM

with all the man I dance with in all the venues I think there is only two people I won't dance with one makes me feel very unsafe,:eek: the othere is not worthy and really has refused once to often :sad:

Tell me it is not me XXX XXX:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: I am not worthy

Martin
23rd-February-2007, 10:16 PM
OK so here is my two peneth for what its worth.

I apologise now to the people that have heard this story before.:rolleyes:

When I first travelled to London I didn't know what people were going to be like, so I said the girls I was with 'biggest smile be friendly and we will need to ask' it worked and I have never had a problem in getting dances.:na:

Threads like this are really getting up my nose.:mad:

If you want a dance get off your ar$e smile and ask or sit in the corner or the middle of the room looking unappreciable and stop bleating on about how no one asks you, the choice is yours.:(

:flower:

:yeah: :yeah:

If you want to dance, just ask..... don't sit back and blame the guys / venue

Reasons I ask...

I LOVE dancing with them
A good track has come on and you are near
We are friends (even though I do not love dancing with you)
You don't pull my arm out of my socket
You look lost / are not dancing much
You are obviously new to the scene

Blueshoes
24th-February-2007, 03:02 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, I didn't even get pity dances on Sunday :tears:
You're giving up anyway, so what's the problem?
:love:

SteveK
24th-February-2007, 03:27 AM
I always make the effort to dance with people I don't recognise. However there's a thing that makes it really difficult - if there is a "closed" group of women sitting together, (I guess that the reverse could happen, but you don't often see blokes sitting round in a huddle?)

If there is choice between asking a lady sitting on her own and approaching a group of women, I'm afraid that it's much easier to ask the individual woman :blush:

It's awkward for a bloke to approach a group of women, as we run the risk of offending all the other women except the one that we ask. My usual technique is walk up and ask the group "who wants a dance" trying to make eye contact with one of them, but it's still awkward. :o :o

fletch
24th-February-2007, 10:11 AM
Tell me it is not me XXX XXX:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: I am not worthy

No chance you don't get away that easy not from 'the Fletch' :wink:

we all know who the refuser is :(

killingtime
27th-February-2007, 03:57 PM
I wonder how many wonderful dances you guys have missed out on because of your huge array of reasons not to ask people to dance?

I wouldn't say that many people have given a huge array of reasons why they haven't asked people to dance. What was being asked is why you ask someone to dance. If you walk past a bunch of women looking for someone who dances a particular style, say, though you aren't refusing them directly there is an implied rejection. If the person wanting to be asked could do just one thing to draw someone's attention then maybe they'd have a better night (saying that I still think they should just go ask people :D).

StokeBloke
27th-February-2007, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't say that many people have given a huge array of reasons why they haven't asked people to dance.
I'm easy.... all the more for me to ask :D

Seriously, I hear what you're saying about selection from a group, but some folk seem to need reminding that this is supposed to be fun. Not some stress test that you need to conquer. Get out there and have fun. If you want to dance with someone ask them. If you find that you didn't like the dance you had, ask someone else next time. Hardly rocket science is it :wink:

The most important thing is to just... ask, ask, ask.

fletch
27th-February-2007, 05:15 PM
The most important thing is to just... ask, ask, ask.

But not every one does, I carn't understand why girls take time to put 'the slap on' get dressed to sit there hoping someone will ask them to dance,:sad: I thought all my Birthday's had come at once when I found ot it was quite accepterble for girls to ask guy's :clap: I have neaver looked back since :yeah: