PDA

View Full Version : Follower support for leader's improvisations

MartinHarper
20th-February-2007, 01:23 AM
This thread follows on from the previous thread for follower's improvisations (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11495).

Does anyone have suggestions on what kinds of things are best for a follower to do to support improvisations from a leader?

Minnie M
20th-February-2007, 01:32 AM
This thread follows on from the previous thread for follower's improvisations (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11495).

Does anyone have suggestions on what kinds of things are best for a follower to do to support improvisations from a leader?

copy them :flower:

Feelingpink
20th-February-2007, 09:17 AM
Copy them, as Minnie says, or reply in 'kind'. If they're a bit hip hoppy, reply in a similar language or something that complements it. Using the dance as a conversation analogy again :blush: if you're getting along great, your body language reflects each other.

Another thing is to try to find what they're listening and responding to in the music - then you can be on the same page and respond in your own way to the same things.

Frankie_4711
20th-February-2007, 09:29 AM
I know it sounds obvious, but follow ... properly! Don't try and anticipate or backlead because you just don't know where you're going to end up. I know I am sometimes a bit guilty of these :blush: but I'm trying to improve because I dance a lot with someone who improvises A LOT! Occasionally I find myself on autopilot, but I do think (hope!) I'm getting better.

Feelingpink
20th-February-2007, 09:40 AM
I know it sounds obvious, but follow ... properly! ...Get your point, but sometimes they just go off on one (as followers sometimes do too!). Are you suggesting that, for instance, if you aren't in physical contact, that you do the same thing as them ... or something different?

ducasi
20th-February-2007, 09:53 AM
I know it sounds obvious, but follow ... properly!
:yeah:

Isn't everything the leader does, in some sense, an improvisation?

Gav
20th-February-2007, 10:04 AM
From time to time I get the confidence to improvise, it tends to just happen really rather than anything planned. However, I always get my confidence knocked back again when followers point out what I did wrong!

I took 3 beats to open out a first move last night, because it fitted at the time. The lady I was dancing with, refused to slow and told me I should work on my balance, then I'll be able to keep up!
Also, with another lady last night, I did a left handed comb, placed her hand on my chest and led her backwards in a Tangoish style. It worked really well and fitted the music. She proudly told me "you did that move all wrong". What move? I wasn't doing moves at the time?

Then of course, I get the opportunity to dance with you lovely ladies from the forum, who I'm sure would welcome improvisation, and I go to pieces! :blush:

Feelingpink
20th-February-2007, 10:18 AM
From time to time I get the confidence to improvise, it tends to just happen really rather than anything planned. However, I always get my confidence knocked back again when followers point out what I did wrong!

I took 3 beats to open out a first move last night, because it fitted at the time. The lady I was dancing with, refused to slow and told me I should work on my balance, then I'll be able to keep up!
Also, with another lady last night, I did a left handed comb, placed her hand on my chest and led her backwards in a Tangoish style. It worked really well and fitted the music. She proudly told me "you did that move all wrong". What move? I wasn't doing moves at the time?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Seriously though, didn't know that kind of reaction still happened. Given that, it's not surprising that some leaders don't want to improvise or play. :eek: You poor sod.

Then of course, I get the opportunity to dance with you lovely ladies from the forum, who I'm sure would welcome improvisation, and I go to pieces! :blush:Based on our dancing in Southport, that's not at all true. :wink:

David Bailey
20th-February-2007, 10:22 AM
:rofl:
Did she pat you on the head and say "Well done" at the end of the dance too? :)

For me, I'd say that "auto-speed" tendency of some (most) followers is the worst thing - especially when they insist on hopping from foot to foot when I'm specifically trying to lead weight changes...

I usually get round this by leading lots of walkarounds / wraps - they allow me to control the tempo of the follower.

Lots of followers don't actually follow, in other words. Of course, I'm sure even more leads don't lead, but that's not my problem :)

Gav
20th-February-2007, 10:31 AM

She might as well have done :angry:

For me, I'd say that "auto-speed" tendency of some (most) followers is the worst thing - especially when they insist on hopping from foot to foot when I'm specifically trying to lead weight changes...

The left handed comb/tango walk incident, I didn't even bother trying to lead the weight change, I signalled my intention, felt which foot she was stepping back on and quickly changed my weight. I thought that was probably the easiest way.

Feelingpink
20th-February-2007, 10:31 AM

For me, I'd say that "auto-speed" tendency of some (most) followers is the worst thing - especially when they insist on hopping from foot to foot when I'm specifically trying to lead weight changes... To be fair, if you don't know what a leader is doing when they are trying to lead weight changes, you can just think they are trying to pull you off balance.

I usually get round this by leading lots of walkarounds / wraps - they allow me to control the tempo of the follower.

Lots of followers don't actually follow, in other words. Of course, I'm sure even more leads don't lead, but that's not my problem :)Or they sit down on a chair to 'watch' their partner in the middle of the dance :rolleyes:

PS Gav just hit 2000 posts - well done!

David Bailey
20th-February-2007, 10:41 AM
To be fair, if you don't know what a leader is doing when they are trying to lead weight changes, you can just think they are trying to pull you off balance.
Fair? You want fair now? :eek:

But, OK, good point - that goes back to the "vocabulary" discussion, doesn't it...

Gav
20th-February-2007, 10:46 AM
PS Gav just hit 2000 posts - well done!

2000 posts in less than 6 months. :clap: I really should get a life. :tears:

Double Trouble
20th-February-2007, 11:01 AM
2000 posts in less than 6 months. :clap: I really should get a life. :tears:

Yes, you really should:D