PDA

View Full Version : Dancing as a man?

Rios Dearg
19th-February-2007, 09:10 PM
Ive been cerocing for almost a year now, and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on the above?

My problem is, because of child-care issues, I cant stay for much of the second freestyle. Equally, knowing what Im like, if I dont go for the start of the class, I'll get all comfy and end up not going at alll. :wink:

But Im finding the beginners class rather less than challenging now, so Ive thought about trying dancing as a man during it. My worries are

1. That for the first few (or many!) times, Im going to be a total dope in the first freestyle after the class and mess up some lady's good time for her.

2. That Im going to revert to expecting to be led.

How hard is it to switch between dancing as a lady and dancing as a man?

Lynn
19th-February-2007, 09:37 PM
Give it a go. If you really don't like it, you can stop again, but I've found it fun doing the beginner class as a lead. And on those evenings when there are lots of extra ladies, its nice to still be able to get up for a dance if you can lead.

1. That for the first few (or many!) times, Im going to be a total dope in the first freestyle after the class and mess up some lady's good time for her.Fine - just explain you are a beginner at leading. You won't be any worse than a beginner man who has just started, and will probably find it easier as you already understand some of the principles.

2. That Im going to revert to expecting to be led.Yep - that will happen. You'll get confused about which hand you should be holding out! But only for a second or two - once you are leading a dance you'll be so busy concentrating on leading that you won't slip back into following.

How hard is it to switch between dancing as a lady and dancing as a man?It gets easier - sometimes I need to get into the right frame of mind - lead or follow. You may find its easier to spend a few dances on one or other at first. Eg - do the beginner class as a lead - have a couple of dances as a lead after the class, then switch into follower mode.

Eventually you'll be able to swap between lead and follow within the same dance - which can be fun if you dance with another follow who also leads as you can play 'lead swap'.

Minnie M
19th-February-2007, 10:18 PM
Dancing as a man? :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry that expression always makes me laugh (got a picture of a couple of forumites in my head)

Even funnier when men "dance as a woman" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (should have said ladeeeez)

Rios Dearg
19th-February-2007, 10:25 PM
Even funnier when men "dance as a woman" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Eeep! Ive never seen a man "dance as a woman"...still less as a "laydee"!

Have I just led a sheltered life, up till now?

:eek: :rofl:

Double Trouble
19th-February-2007, 10:31 PM
Eeep! Ive never seen a man "dance as a woman"...still less as a "laydee"!

Actually, you probably have and not realised it.

I have seen a few cross dressers at ceroc venues and the men have no idea.

It's hilarious to watch as the men do saucy moves with these 'ladies' :rofl:

Minnie M
19th-February-2007, 10:42 PM
.........It's hilarious to watch as the men do saucy moves with these 'ladies' :rofl:
:rofl: the 'laydeez' I was thinking of look more like sexy teapots

BTW there are men who make fab followers (eg: Alex & Jamie)

Sorry Rios Dearg - I think I have sabotaged your serious thread ....

Back on thread - would rather call the title "Women Leading" and we have about half a dozen female forumites who make as good if not better leads than most men :worthy:

Rios Dearg
19th-February-2007, 11:01 PM
:rofl: the 'laydeez' I was thinking of look more like sexy teapots

Back on thread - would rather call the title "Women Leading" and we have about half a dozen female forumites who make as good if not better leads than most men :worthy:

Sexy teapots...hehe. :rofl:

Ahem. Yes, being serious, 'Women leading' is a much better title, and I know a couple of women from my class with whom I would much rather dance than with certain of the guys.

I guess Im just looking for tips to make the first few weeks easier?

Like...in the first freestyle dance, should I just stick to the four moves we have done in the beginners class, and risk being boring ... or try and maybe add in something else at the risk of having it all go horribly wrong?

Minnie M
19th-February-2007, 11:11 PM
........I guess Im just looking for tips to make the first few weeks easier................

Personally I don't think it is good idea leading until you are confident in your following, it can get confusing.

When first learning MJ, the more practice you have with different leads really really helps, in both the lesson and freestyle

Good luck !

MartinHarper
20th-February-2007, 01:08 AM
It would be good to construct a list of threads containing answers to frequently asked questions. I know there's this dancing as a man (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3246) thread, but there are lots of others and I don't have the links handy. If we could collate them somewhere it would be easier to point newcomers at the previous discussions, which contain a variety of excellent advice.

Minnie M
20th-February-2007, 01:11 AM
It would be good to construct a list of threads containing answers to frequently asked questions. I know there's this dancing as a man (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3246) thread, but there are lots of others and I don't have the links handy. If we could collate them somewhere it would be easier to point newcomers at the previous discussions, which contain a variety of excellent advice.
As the originator of the famous "Harper Links" I think that is an excellent idea :worthy:

WittyBird
20th-February-2007, 02:45 AM

Not just those two.

Jammy, Sheepman, Under Par, Trampy, The Wurlitzer Rocks, JiveP, DirtyD, Spice N Easy, Pretzel Meister, CJ, Marc Forster, Baldrick, Andy McGregor, Clive long, David James, RobD, Russell Saxby, ESG / Donkey Boy, Shodan, StokeBloke, Woodface, Gav, turbo tomato, wouldbe, Raphael, Ducasi, Ghost, Bigger Andy, Paul Warden, Trousers, Animal Talk, Blueshoes, Asif, Dale, Elliot (fab dancer non forumite) MikeyR, Martin Harper, SpinDr, James (non forumite - Kent/Bromley) , Craigybaby, The Wacko, Robin, Adam/CerocMetro, Roger Chin, Roger Paine, KevF, DavidY, Magic Hans, Captain Fantastic, Killing Time, First Move, Les Snell, Mr Cool, Dave Hancock, Dave The Scaffolder, Iain Langridge, McJester, Mr Darcy, MsFab :wink: , BeoWulf, Sheppy, TGNS, Yogi_Bear, Onkar,Patrick & Jive Addicted.

I think I've also seen or read they do/have....... (but i might be making this up)

SimonR, SilverFox, MickS, Rocky, Amir, Gus, ChrisA, TWK, Chef, Rhythm King,
Tom Baker, Tim Sant, Seamus (:whistle: ),Andreas, Simon Borland :drool: , Barry Schnikov, DavidB, JonD, Azande, Organic Marc (can't remember his forum name), TigerPants, Brady, Mick Wenger,Geordie Ed, Mr Fitz, Seahorse, Graham Fox, Danny Lewington, Bob Gadget, Azande, Karl Hudds, Dazzler, Keith & Armstrong.

Sorry If I've offended or missed anyone by not putting them in the correct categories or missing them off etc but its late, I'm tired and tough. :grin:

Minnie M
20th-February-2007, 08:34 AM
Not just those two............
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :whistle:
I did say good followers :rolleyes:
Seriously though, there are a couple in your list who are quite good (I apopologise for not naming you) ......... but ......... as much as I love him Under Par as a follower :whistle:

Alex is IMO the best male follower I have ever seen (since Ben Borengo from Brighton) :respect:

Most guys think they need to dance like a woman to follow :really: (hips and all - if you get my jist, plus silly face sometimes) and they seem to travel when they turn (a beginner follower problem) and I respect them for trying - it must be harder for them than us girls leading :respect: even though they don't have to think about moves, but I don't think many take it seriously (thank goodness - we need you leading fellas)

Have to say it is very entertaining - I do love to watch two men dancing, even funnier when they do 'double trouble'

When women lead, they just lead, they don't try and dance macho, and contrary to above we DO take it seriously, and it sure comes in handy when there is a shortage of men :clap: :respect: :cheers: :worthy: :flower: :clap:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-February-2007, 09:31 AM
Not just those two.

Jammy, Sheepman, Under Par, Trampy, The Wurlitzer Rocks, JiveP, DirtyD, Spice N Easy, Pretzel Meister, CJ, Marc Forster, Baldrick, Andy McGregor, Clive long, David James, RobD, Russell Saxby, ESG / Donkey Boy, Shodan, StokeBloke, Woodface, Gav, turbo tomato, wouldbe, Raphael, Ducasi, Ghost, Bigger Andy, Paul Warden, Trousers, Animal Talk, Blueshoes, Asif, Dale, Elliot (fab dancer non forumite) MikeyR, Martin Harper, SpinDr, James (non forumite - Kent/Bromley) , Craigybaby, The Wacko, Robin, Adam/CerocMetro, Roger Chin, Roger Paine, KevF, DavidY, Magic Hans, Captain Fantastic, Killing Time, First Move, Les Snell, Mr Cool, Dave Hancock, Dave The Scaffolder, Iain Langridge, McJester, Mr Darcy, MsFab :wink: , BeoWulf, Sheppy, TGNS, Yogi_Bear, Onkar,Patrick & Jive Addicted.

I think I've also seen or read they do/have....... (but i might be making this up)

Tom Baker, Tim Sant, Seamus (:whistle: ),Andreas, Simon Borland :drool: , Barry Schnikov, DavidB, JonD, Azande, Organic Marc (can't remember his forum name), TigerPants, Brady, Mick Wenger,Geordie Ed, Mr Fitz, Seahorse, Graham Fox, Danny Lewington, Bob Gadget, Azande, Karl Hudds, Dazzler, Keith & Armstrong.

Sorry If I've offended or missed anyone by not putting them in the correct categories or missing them off etc but its late, I'm tired and tough. :grin:
if theres a terrible follower list , Ill be on that one :)

Minnie: I find the phrase "dancing as a man" hilarious too :)

Dai
20th-February-2007, 09:47 AM
Most guys think they need to dance like a woman to follow... I respect them for trying - it must be harder for them than us girls leading :respect: even though they don't have to think about moves

Have to say it is very entertaining - I do love to watch two men dancing, even funnier when they do 'double trouble'

From the guys following point of view - its a letting go thing - may be a self confidence issue. I leant to lead not follow, and for the first 2.75 years of my dancing - i managed to avoid following (not completely - i might have had the odd dance as a follow every 3 or 4 weeks or so). So when i decided i was going to learn to follow it was really tough for me, i haven't perfected my spins by any stretch of the imagination, but at least i can now follow most moves i think (well most of the ones i have been led at least).

I must say - i found following really hard, and i felt somewhat of a prat trying to act all fem and girly, with the spare arm and hips wiggling and all. If i found this hard - can only imagine how hard it must be for a guy to let go and express himself freely.

With regards to the double trouble - its so funny to watch the guys doing it together - StokeBloke, Jamie and MartinHarper danced it together at Utopia on Friday, (evesham). And i personally love dancing double trouble with Alex and Jamie - we do get some strange looks let me add!!

Dai
20th-February-2007, 10:03 AM
Ive been cerocing for almost a year now, and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on the above?

But Im finding the beginners class rather less than challenging now, so Ive thought about trying dancing as a man during it. My worries are

1. That for the first few (or many!) times, Im going to be a total dope in the first freestyle after the class and mess up some lady's good time for her.

2. That Im going to revert to expecting to be led.

How hard is it to switch between dancing as a lady and dancing as a man?

If you tell the woman you are dancing with that you are just learning to lead - they shouldn't actually mind, most people expect to dance with a beginner at somepoint in the beginner class!! If the last part of the track into freestyle with a beginner lead messes up a lady's night then i think the lady may have a few issues.

It is sometimes a problem reverting from one to another, but the more you dance as a lead and a follow, the easier it will be to change between the two

With regards to female leads -

Unless you are totally happy with your following, then it seems that leading is something you should leave for a while - try to get one aspect sorted before you confuse yourself with a second.

However - if you feel you are ready - then my opinion is:

1) there are never enough leads - so it means you can have more dances as you are more versitile

2) Dancing from the other point of view can have radical effects on your normal dancing. (i for example have recently discovered from following, that i do actually have hips :really:, and this discovery is - i am told - now apparent in my leading)

3) If you go to ceroc to have fun, and to meet people, then as long as you are having fun - does it matter if you lead or follow. Yes it might make a difference to your dancing, and i have often been told that if a woman leads, it has a detrimental effect on her following. But unless you are trying to be the next national champion dancer, does it really matter?

Try to assess what you want from the ceroc night, then do what you can to get it, it may well mean that you learn to both lead and follow.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

killingtime
20th-February-2007, 12:43 PM

Tessalicious :drool: (that's in relation to her leading not just drooling about her in general)

Tessalicious :drool: (that's more general :devil: )

Most guys think they need to dance like a woman to follow :really:

Well the people I generally see following are women I might subliminally pick up style from them :really:. I don't mind though I can't even get the Man Spin looking manly so what chance do I have following in a macho fashion?

Rios Dearg
20th-February-2007, 05:41 PM
(snip)Try to assess what you want from the ceroc night, then do what you can to get it, it may well mean that you learn to both lead and follow.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I have thought a lot about the various things I would like to get from the class...and one of them is being able to Ceroc when my mate (whom I go to class with) and I are on a normal night out. Since there arent usually any men around in the place we go clubbing who can Ceroc... I guess this means I should learn to lead :wink:

Thanks for all of the advice, people. This forum is one of the friendliest and most helpful I have ever found. You guys rock!

:clap:

DavidY
20th-February-2007, 05:51 PM
DavidY:hug:

I'm trying to learn to follow, but not done it much... I'm probably on the "terrible follower" list with DS at the moment.

I'm open to offers to help me improve, though... :wink:

MartinHarper
20th-February-2007, 05:52 PM
... the people I generally see following are women ...

The people I generally see dancing are women. Lots of men tend towards either "walking", or "standing still" as their style choices. If that's macho dancing, you can keep it.

dave the scaffolder
20th-February-2007, 05:53 PM
Not just those two.

Wity i love you, you do think i am a man
Bless your heart i am going to dance you into the floor next time i see you.
XXX XXX:worthy: :kiss: :hug:

Minnie M
20th-February-2007, 06:03 PM

Not just those two............

Wity i love you, you do think i am a man
Bless your heart i am going to dance you into the floor next time i see you.
XXX XXX:worthy: :kiss: :hug:

:confused: have I got it wrong - the Witty's list are followers not leads - if you use the title - you dance like a woman :whistle:

killingtime
20th-February-2007, 06:11 PM
The people I generally see dancing are women. Lots of men tend towards either "walking", or "standing still" as their style choices. If that's macho dancing, you can keep it.

True enough. I think there are more male style classes being made available and men might put in these style points which makes other men think about trying it and thereby generally increasing the level of style. It's probably quite a slow process though.

dave the scaffolder
20th-February-2007, 06:27 PM
:confused: have I got it wrong - the Witty's list are followers not leads - if you use the title - you dance like a woman :whistle:
Witty still called me a man
She loves me XXX XXX:clap: :clap: :clap: :love:

Minnie M
20th-February-2007, 07:59 PM
Witty still called me a man
She loves me XXX XXX:clap: :clap: :clap: :love:
I'm sure she does :flower: don't fret - but where did she call you a man :confused:

dave the scaffolder
20th-February-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm sure she does :flower: don't fret - but where did she call you a man :confused:
I thought she did, however i may be mistaken, (was going to say over optimistic but couldnt spell it).
Ruined my night you have Minnie off to wash my hair and do my nails.
Flounces away from the keyboard. XXX XXX:wink:

Minnie M
20th-February-2007, 08:24 PM
I thought she did, however i may be mistaken, (was going to say over optimistic but couldnt spell it).
Ruined my night you have Minnie off to wash my hair and do my nails.
Flounces away from the keyboard. XXX XXX:wink:

Sorry DTS - but the fact is you DO dance as a man - I personally can't imagine you dancing as a woman (following) - I am sure that is what Witty meant, so she does love you :love: :awe:

(BTW don't forget to match your toes nails with the same colour varnish)

dave the scaffolder
20th-February-2007, 08:35 PM
Sorry DTS - but the fact is you DO dance as a man - I personally can't imagine you dancing as a woman (following) - I am sure that is what Witty meant, so she does love you :love: :awe:

(BTW don't forget to match your toes nails with the same colour varnish)

I will prove that I AM MAN

i have just done a mixed load in my combined washer dryer

Taken out some delicates and reset the dryer to dry my normals

HAVE AT YOU I AM MAN XXX XXX

:respect:

and i am house trained

Minnie M
20th-February-2007, 08:48 PM
I will prove that I AM MAN

i have just done a mixed load in my combined washer dryer

HAVE AT YOU I AM MAN XXX XXX

:respect:

and i am house trained

The proof .............

Are your whites still white :confused:

or are they a lighter shade of blue etc., :whistle:

Sorry :-
I misread this:
to be:
"Taken out some delicates and reset the dryer to dry my nails "

Caz
21st-February-2007, 02:27 PM
I can definitely recommend anyone who wants to lead to try it and have a go.. I have only been dancing MJ for almost a year now and I lead.. To be honest I have nights when I just want to follow but leading makes the night so much more varied and as many people have said, u r never stuck for a dance - u can ask anyone! I love leading - and to repeat again what many have said - Jamie is my favourite follower!!! He is a better woman than me I have to say that!!!

True my following suffered at first but now I make sure that I follow some dances every night - keeps me up to speed - but I have to admit that I still find following harder than leading!! Guess the control freak in me like to lead! :rofl:

Piglet
26th-February-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi Rios Dearg,

How is your leading going? I found it quite a challenge when I started - I'd been following for 18 months before I gave it a try, but the follows were very kind and I would just explain I was a beginner-lead when I didn't feel confident with new moves in the Intermediate class.

As for whether to lead the same 4 moves after the class or not - I found it would depend on my follow. If they were a new person I'd stick to the 4 moves and stay in my comfort zone (except when I forgot what the routine was :whistle: ) but if I got a follow that I knew was more experienced and whom I knew was forgiving, I'd try throwing in other stuff too.

Hope you are enjoying it - I'm sure you are :hug:

DD+
26th-February-2007, 03:21 PM
I absolutely adore taking the lead, took me a while to get the basics tho! i started learning in the beginners class then began dancing with friends, dancing with more experienced dancers sometimes help as they know what your trying to do and almost can show you the postions of the moves. i then expanded to dancers at camber (some of the wonderful forumites) and my first dance other than at my venue was with fletch- she is a star!:flower: and since then i've never looked back...even tried leading Blues at Utopia...and think i got away with it:clap: :clap:
So to all you forumites that i have led -THANK YOU:respect: :respect: :respect:

DD+
26th-February-2007, 03:24 PM
PS... If you see me at Camber please ask me for a dance too...i'm the one in the DD+BOOBS - Work that wiggle t-shirt:wink:

Trouble
26th-February-2007, 03:24 PM
:rolleyes:
I absolutely adore taking the lead, took me a while to get the basics tho! i started learning in the beginners class then began dancing with friends, dancing with more experienced dancers sometimes help as they know what your trying to do and almost can show you the postions of the moves. i then expanded to dancers at camber (some of the wonderful forumites) and my first dance other than at my venue was with fletch- she is a star!:flower: and since then i've never looked back...even tried leading Blues at Utopia...and think i got away with it:clap: :clap:
So to all you forumites that i have led -THANK YOU:respect: :respect: :respect:

i tried to bee line my way to you for a stalk and grab at utopia, you looked like great fun to dance with but you was always busy....so we will have to wait until next time and i'll have to move my ass quicker. :rolleyes:

Paulthetrainer
26th-February-2007, 03:52 PM
Dancing as a man is very difficult.

I've been trying for ages and I'm still rubbish. :D

Paul

Caz
26th-February-2007, 06:32 PM
PS... If you see me at Camber please ask me for a dance too...i'm the one in the DD+BOOBS - Work that wiggle t-shirt:wink:

I will def be asking u for a dance DD... !!:clap:

Rios Dearg
12th-March-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, finally took the plunge and danced as a lead for the first time (although only in the beginners class).

The ladies I danced with were all very kind and understanding, and forgave me when I caught with the wrong hand, or span them the wrong way. I even led my mate for one dance in the freestyle - although I only did the 4 moves we had just learned.

I enjoyed it immensely, and though I wont deny a certain sense of relief in going back to following in the intermediate class, I will certainly be leading again in the beginners.

Many thanks to all who put up with me and gave me encouragement!

:flower:

MartinHarper
13th-March-2007, 01:51 AM
Congratulations. :)

Keep trying out what you learn in freestyle. There's a lot of fun to be had as a lead.

Caz
15th-March-2007, 03:38 PM
congrats on leading.. enjoy it!!!
xx

Rios Dearg
20th-March-2007, 12:56 AM
congrats on leading.. enjoy it!!!
xx

Thank you, Caz.

Second week, and the ladies I led gave me enough encouragement to try out not just this week's moves, but to throw in a couple from last week in the "twice through and straight into freestyle" :flower:

Having said that, on the next track I ran straight to the nearest man and begged him to 'OMG, lead me, please?' (And then proceeded to backlead for the whole dance.) :o Luckily, he was a nice chap who totally forgave me once I explained my slight schizophrenia...(Bear with me folks, I'll get the hang of this....eventually.)

What I have noticed is that leading has showed me how important certain things are in a follower. It has highlighted that when guys ask me certain things like....to relax my arms, or not grip their hands, there are damn good reasons for that.

Has anyone else found that taking a turn of leading helps one to become a better follower?

Daisy Chain
27th-March-2007, 12:25 PM
I love dancing with other women because they actually dance with you as opposed to standing there and twiddling you. (However, I prefer men for the more cuddly intimate moves).

I hate to say this, but the best lead at my local venue last night was a woman. She even put me into a very competent drop.

Daisy

(A Strictly Hetero Little Flower)

killingtime
27th-March-2007, 01:05 PM
I love dancing with other women because they actually dance with you as opposed to standing there and twiddling you.

Well you sure know how to make male leads feel appreciated :what:.

Daisy Chain
27th-March-2007, 08:00 PM
Well you sure know how to make male leads feel appreciated :what:.

I aim to please! :grin:

Daisy

Rios Dearg
23rd-April-2007, 11:20 PM
K, a month or so on, and I think its going ok. The beginners class goes well, the 'straight into freestyle' is not too bad. I can usually lead the 4 moves we have just done, and maybe throw in another couple. However, I tend not to lead after that because I find it requires a lot of effort to think of what to do next, so I dont get much more practice than the class.

I have two main problems:

One: I find it hard to string moves together, because I still find that Im automatically offering the right hand. It still feels odd to be dancing left-handed.

Two: When following after leading, I often find myself anticipating. Particularily with leads I either dont know, or who whose cues Im not recognising. I try to catch myself as soon as I realise Im doing it, but Im concerned that it will put leaders off asking me to dance.

It usually takes me a couple of dances to become comfortable following again.

Does anyone else have the same problems, and if so, how do they overcome them?

Leila
25th-April-2007, 05:50 PM
The only thing you can do is to keep going on as you are. I was in the same situation and found that as time progressed I was more able to switch between leading and following without too much anticipation or disruption. I find that I enjoy leading now as much as I do following but am still better as a follower! :flower:

LMC
25th-April-2007, 06:13 PM
Leila is right, it gets easier to "switch heads" with time. When I first started leading, I always made sure that my first dance or two as a follower afterwards were with people I knew, who were also fairly good leads - it helped me switch back quicker and they wouldn't hold it against me if I fluffed!

A good way to get into "switching heads" quickly is dancing with someone who can also lead and follow and swop between you during the dance - see how neat you can make it (stealing a lead when you're right-to-right as a follower or double handed is obviously easiest). It's fun too :D

Jamie
25th-April-2007, 06:23 PM
You can't learn to lead by dancing one song per night. Try and set yourself a goal, dance 5 songs per night as a lead, only then will you start to build up your repertoire.

SeriouslyAddicted
26th-April-2007, 08:55 AM
A good way to get into "switching heads" quickly is dancing with someone who can also lead and follow and swop between you during the dance - see how neat you can make it (stealing a lead when you're right-to-right as a follower or double handed is obviously easiest). It's fun too :D

:yeah: Have a friend at my regualr venue that I play this game with. We had a good dance like it last night and we are even getting the stealing much more flowing now.

Rios Dearg
27th-April-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I went to a social MJ do this evening - no class, just practicing, and since to start with there were only two chaps, I led several ladies, asking if they wouldnt allow me to practice my leading with them. They were all very kind and by the end of the night, I felt much more confident stringing moves together. I still have to think hard about offering a left hand, though. :D

Astro
1st-May-2007, 12:05 PM
Actually, you probably have and not realised it.

I have seen a few cross dressers at ceroc venues and the men have no idea.

It's hilarious to watch as the men do saucy moves with these 'ladies' :rofl:

If the men are cross dressing and dancing as women this could explain the gender imbalance. Which venues have you spotted them at? I always used to fancy Boy George.

I'm just hoping the stripper's heal doesn't make it onto the dance floor.....

nebula
21st-June-2007, 09:46 AM
Leila is right, it gets easier to "switch heads" with time. When I first started leading, I always made sure that my first dance or two as a follower afterwards were with people I knew, who were also fairly good leads - it helped me switch back quicker and they wouldn't hold it against me if I fluffed!

Due to the distinct lack of men last 2 nights I had to bite the bullet and be a lead in the intermediate class, as well as the beginners. The appreciation for poor men was high after that - it is bloody hard work!!! I managed to do the routine - in fact, was one of the very few leads who got it right first time :whistle:, but I had to really, really concentrate. I only have 2-3 songs per night of leading, but find no problem in switching back to follower after leading...
I have yet to try the "switching" leads with another girl who is also a leader in the class - should be fun!!!:D