PDA

View Full Version : Dance Bags

Lynn
18th-February-2007, 11:23 PM
I've just bought a new dance bag. (£4.97 in Tesco's, really splashing out :rolleyes: )

I started with a simple drawstring bag (£1 in Primark!) and after a while it wasn't big enough, so bought a larger one.

Recently its been getting a bit of squeeze fitting in 3 pairs of shoes, bottle of water, and at least one change of outfit, along with all those other bits and pieces you need. So I've gone up a size again.

Anyone else done this? What matters to you in selecting a dance bag?

ducasi
19th-February-2007, 12:07 AM
I have two dance bags – my first one is a simple Nike drawstring one that I use almost all the time – holds one pair of shoes, water bottle and other essentials.

When I need to carry more, like a second pair of shoes, I go to my DKNY drawstring bag, which is bigger and stronger and has more wee pockets.

The first one I think was about a fiver and I got it for carrying stuff around on holiday originally. The second one was a freebie when I bought some DKNY smelly stuff.

Selection criteria...

Space! (Obvious one!)
Uniqueness factor. (So you can easily spot it when you forget where you've put it.)
Coolness. :waycool:
Waterproofness – will it keep my stuff mostly dry?
Build quality – will it last?

Looking forward to seeing what others think...

Whitebeard
19th-February-2007, 01:20 AM
I have two dance bags – my first one is a simple Nike drawstring one that I use almost all the time – holds one pair of shoes, water bottle and other essentials.

When I need to carry more, like a second pair of shoes, I go to my DKNY drawstring bag, which is bigger and stronger and has more wee pockets.

The first one I think was about a fiver and I got it for carrying stuff around on holiday originally. The second one was a freebie when I bought some DKNY smelly stuff.

Selection criteria...

Space! (Obvious one!)
Uniqueness factor. (So you can easily spot it when you forget where you've put it.)
Waterproofness – will it keep my stuff mostly dry?
Build quality – will it last?

Looking forward to seeing what others think...

Well, yes. Up until now I've managed with a sponge/toilet bag which just about holds a small water bottle, a small towel, my specs case, a pen and paper should I wish to take note of something, and a packet of plasters should a lady attack my delicate skin with her nails or jewellery. No need for any change of clothing as I don't/can't exert myself that much.

However, I've been thinking of a second pair of slippier shoes [the current Bloch Stealths I don at home before leaving and doff when I get back ;-) - the stroll across the car park does them little harm] and in the absence of any local source I've been perusing online dancewear suppliers. And aren't they absolutely clueless and incompetent? What is the most important aspect of a dance bag - surely to goodness that is it's size; it's dimensions. I see a Bloch bag which might just be the modest sized ticket. Does the maufacturers site quote dimensions? (it must be long enough at 12ins+ to carry my size tens). No. Does any UK supplier quote dimensions; not so far as I can find. I have to go to a US site to find the size of this bag - and aren't the Americans great, they still speak my language; inches. And, they're cheaper in dollars, than English sites are in pounds. But it's red, rather than black (am I prepared to make such a big statement), and delivery times and other factors deter.

DKNY ?

Sheepman
19th-February-2007, 01:38 AM
Almost a perennial subject this, which probably just goes to show what short lives the bags have, but for me, the one mentioned here is stll going, and it gets a whole lot heavier now on nights when I'm DJing:-

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1568

and another similar thread - http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8417

Greg

Whitebeard
19th-February-2007, 01:45 AM

Oh, gawd, you poseur ;-)

Baruch
19th-February-2007, 03:07 AM
What matters to you in selecting a dance bag?
I'm currently using a small rucksack as a dance bag, but may upgrade to something a bit bigger soon as it's wearing out and is often too full.

A bag for me needs to have a fairly large waterproof section to put sweaty shirts, towel etc. in when I change. It also needs to have several side pockets for things like fans, energy sweets, plasters, ibuprofen tablets, ibuprofen gel, safety pins, leaflets and the many other things that find their way into a dance bag. The main compartment needs to be large enough to hold 3 shirts, spare trousers (sometimes), at least 1 pair of dance shoes (preferably 2) and a bottle of Tesco Diet Kick (Red Bull equivalent).

Minnie M
19th-February-2007, 08:17 AM
Strange that only men have replied to this post - much easier for them to select a correct bag.:whistle:

I have recently bought one from a shoe shop - it is similar to a Mary Poppins bag and funny enough it seems to hold anything and everything, but still be pretty and girly (got sparkly bits too)

My fave one was bought for me for my last big birthday and it fitted all the requirements, but unfortunately it wore out :tears:

I have wasted so much money buying dance bags I thought would be good, but just not big enough, so I understand where you are coming from.

Lynn
19th-February-2007, 09:08 AM
Almost a perennial subject this, which probably just goes to show what short lives the bags have, but for me, the one mentioned here is stll going, and it gets a whole lot heavier now on nights when I'm DJing:-

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1568

and another similar thread - http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8417

GregI remembered there was a thread somewhere about what people take in their dance bags, but forgot there was one already about the bags themselves (which is what this was about). :blush:

For me, based on all my dance bags, a key point seems that they must be black!

Its also a plus if they can double as a carry on flight bag, so it can't be too big! One that will rest on top of my suitcase if I have to walk any distance pulling it behind me is therefore also good, and I think my new one may do that better than my last one.

However, I've been thinking of a second pair of slippier shoes [the current Bloch Stealths I don at home before leaving and doff when I get back ;-) - the stroll across the car park does them little harm] and in the absence of any local source I've been perusing online dancewear suppliers. And aren't they absolutely clueless and incompetent? What is the most important aspect of a dance bag - surely to goodness that is it's size; it's dimensions.
They may be shoe carry bags just designed to carry the shoes themselves, not anything with them. This is to protect the shoes. You do usually get a soft drawstring bag when you buy new shoes that should be adequate to do that without needing to purchase a seperate shoe carry case. You'll need to get another larger bag to put the shoe bag, and your other bits and pieces in. And while you can wear your Bloch trainers to and from the venue, if you get leather soled shoes you'll need to carry them to the venue and put them on when you arrive.

David Bailey
19th-February-2007, 09:14 AM

Having spent 10 minutes frantically looking for my black dance bag, I've now resolved to buy my next one in a nice bright shiny colour. :rolleyes:

I never had this problem when I used Tesco bags :(

Gav
19th-February-2007, 09:37 AM
Strange that only men have replied to this post - much easier for them to select a correct bag.:whistle:

You need to find yourself a man who's going to the same venue and who takes a small rucksack. Then you just put your stuff in his bag and you don't even have to carry it!
Works for some people anyway :rolleyes:

Mythical
19th-February-2007, 10:28 AM
My criteria for a dance bag is:
1)Cheap
2)Cheap
3)Cheap

Coolness and uniqueness, I'll take care of after i've bought it, and as for size. Everything WILL fit in.

David Bailey
19th-February-2007, 11:19 AM
1)Cheap
2)Cheap
3)Cheap

I'd definitely recommend the Tesco bag option then :)

Mythical
19th-February-2007, 11:32 AM

err...not quite that cheap!!

Lynn
19th-February-2007, 12:03 PM
1)Cheap
2)Cheap
3)Cheap So far, I'm on my 3rd dance bag and the total expenditure for all 3 added together is (just) under £10.

I don't mind having plain black - my new one may look similar to others though, so I can always tie a nice ribbon on it if I want it to be easy to locate. :D

Almost an Angel
19th-February-2007, 12:48 PM
Its also a plus if they can double as a carry on flight bag, so it can't be too big! One that will rest on top of my suitcase if I have to walk any distance pulling it behind me is therefore also good, and I think my new one may do that better than my last one.

I was looking for a new dance bag that could hold the plethera of junk I seem to carry around with me dancing. the answer was actually a flight bag. It has the added bonus of having lots of pockets etc and places to store bits and pieces and my record so far is having 3 pairs of dance shoes in it plus water change of top etc..... To really stand out from the crowd mine is bright pink, with a picture on the front so I'm not going to misplace it easily.

The lovely SuzyQ has also bought one - although not the same colour

I sneakily managed to wangle it as a present for Christmas but it was only about £10 and is really very practical. everything just fits inside.

Angel xx

Aleks
19th-February-2007, 01:16 PM
a flight bag.

That's what I use - separate pockets for shoes and clean clothes; always a bonus! Mine cost around £25, but as I've had it almost 5 years, it's been worth it. I give it a scrub out a couple of times a year and after weekenders to keep it fresh. It has been a great investment.

If I only need my shoes for an hour's freestyle I use a brightly decorated tin lunchbox with a handle which people often comment on - very cute and small enough for my tiny shoes to fit snugly!

Freudian Hips
19th-February-2007, 01:24 PM

:love:
Has also been known to use extra space in the black ruck sack preferred by FH

I like my ruck sack because:

I can wear it on my back
The side pocket holds essential toiletries and foot repair items
Can take up to 3 pairs of shoes, waterbottle, chocolate and a change of clothes (as long as they don't crease easily)

SuzyQ
19th-February-2007, 03:33 PM
I was looking for a new dance bag that could hold the plethera of junk I seem to carry around with me dancing. the answer was actually a flight bag. It has the added bonus of having lots of pockets etc and places to store bits and pieces and my record so far is having 3 pairs of dance shoes in it plus water change of top etc..... To really stand out from the crowd mine is bright pink, with a picture on the front so I'm not going to misplace it easily.

The lovely SuzyQ has also bought one - although not the same colour

I sneakily managed to wangle it as a present for Christmas but it was only about £10 and is really very practical. everything just fits inside.

Angel xx

It is the best bag ever - plenty of pockets.
Mine is purple :D
SuzyQ

philsmove
19th-February-2007, 06:33 PM

The re-usable bright orange Sainsbury’s ones are even better

Jamie
19th-February-2007, 06:40 PM
Mine's Spongebob! Doubt anyone has the same bag as me!

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8119/dsc00223th6.jpg

Lost Leader
19th-February-2007, 06:45 PM
So far, I'm on my 3rd dance bag and the total expenditure for all 3 added together is (just) under £10.

I don't mind having plain black - my new one may look similar to others though, so I can always tie a nice ribbon on it if I want it to be easy to locate. :D

I was going to suggest something similar to get around the identikit black bag syndrome. Just stick a bit of coloured insulating tape or similar somewhere on the bag so that you can easily spot it in a crowd. Hopefully no-one else will wander off with your bag by mistake (unless of course they find that coloured insulating tape irisistible).

Frankie_4711
19th-February-2007, 07:27 PM
Being the sadling that I am I opted for the good old Ceroc drawstring bag. May not have a lot of pockets (OK, it's only got the main bit and one side pocket!) but it's pretty spacious and has so far managed to fit everything I need in it ... including overnight stuff when needed. Might change now that I have three pairs of shoes to cart around (breaking in 2 new pairs ready for Storm).

I did worry about there being lots of them around when I first bought it, so got myself a little teddy keyring and attached it to the zipper for easy identification. Needn't have worried - have only seen three others in all the time I've had it, and two of those have been a slightly different style!

Lynn
19th-February-2007, 09:44 PM
It is the best bag ever - plenty of pockets. Sounds good.

Mine is purple :D Where's the :jealous smilie: when you need it...

drathzel
19th-February-2007, 11:08 PM
I got a powerpuff girls bag but i can only fit one change of clothes and 2 pairs or shoes, nothing else:tears:

for my weekly class i tend to bring about 7 pairs of shoes as each week i feel comfortable in a different pair and i want to be comfortable when i am teaching and i put them all in my trusty ceroc drawstring bag!

Mythical
19th-February-2007, 11:37 PM
I got a powerpuff girls bag but i can only fit one change of clothes and 2 pairs or shoes, nothing else:tears:

for my weekly class i tend to bring about 7 pairs of shoes as each week i feel comfortable in a different pair and i want to be comfortable when i am teaching and i put them all in my trusty ceroc drawstring bag!

SEVEN???? That's hardcore, right there!

I don't even own seven pairs of shoes, let alone seven pairs of dancing shoes. Though, I do admit to having two pairs of shoes I've vowed never to wear outside - 'cause the sole is just perfect for dancing!

Lynn
19th-February-2007, 11:40 PM
for my weekly class i tend to bring about 7 pairs of shoes as each week i feel comfortable in a different pair and i want to be comfortable when i am teaching and i put them all in my trusty ceroc drawstring bag!7 pairs in one drawstring bag? I'm doing well if I fit in 3 pairs (how many I usually take on a regular night).

drathzel
20th-February-2007, 12:07 AM
7 pairs in one drawstring bag? I'm doing well if I fit in 3 pairs (how many I usually take on a regular night).

yeah and i have big feet!

I normally have 2 ids 2 seksi 3 freeds that makes 7:D

i think i have around 15 pairs of dance shoes

frodo
20th-February-2007, 12:14 AM
1)Cheap
2)Cheap
3)Cheap
Based on this thread lots of people have quoted sub £10.00 prices.

Just to balance it out I've never bought a bag for that little. I think they average towards £30.00.

And in the context of the total amount spent dancing over time there isn't much difference between using a tesco bag and a £40.00 bag. So cash flow permitting I reckon go for the best bag regardless of price in that sort of price range.

Minnie M
20th-February-2007, 12:33 AM
.........Just to balance it out I've never bought a bag for that little. I think they average towards £30.00......

How much did the bag in your avatar cost :whistle:

frodo
20th-February-2007, 12:40 AM
How much did the bag in your avatar cost :whistle:I've only borrowed that one. Only vaguely remember what it looks like it as I haven't had avatars switched on for ages - must remember to give it back :nice:

Minnie M
20th-February-2007, 12:43 AM
I've only borrowed that one. Only vaguely remember what it looks like it as I haven't had avatars switched on for ages - must remember to give it back :nice:
:rofl:

I am sure it is top quality brown paper though :D

Shodan
20th-February-2007, 02:21 PM
My first dance bag was a free bag I got from the gym. Simple pullstring, put on your back thing. After years of abuse and me trying to put too much into it, it finally broke.

I now have a similar one that was also a free bag from Orange phones. Its bigger than the previous one but still the same idea.

Before all this my dance bag used to be a tescos carrier bag, until I was banned from using it by the fashion police (my lady friends at jive). :rofl:

straycat
20th-February-2007, 02:27 PM
For some reason I expected this thread to be about bad-tempered screechy old women littering the dancefloor.

Very disappointing.

Baruch
20th-February-2007, 02:30 PM

You used a Tesco bag? I'd never stoop that low.

When I started out, I used a Morrison's carrier bag. :wink:

David Bailey
20th-February-2007, 03:37 PM
You used a Tesco bag? I'd never stoop that low.

When I started out, I used a Morrison's carrier bag. :wink:
You were lucky, when I were a youung un, we only had... oh, you know the drill.

Baruch
20th-February-2007, 03:54 PM
I've never had a drill in my dance bag either.

straycat
20th-February-2007, 04:10 PM

Know the drill? Most of us aren't that old, remember...:devil:

Lynn
20th-February-2007, 04:14 PM
Most of us aren't that old, remember...:devil:Ah but when you get a bit older you tend to forget things...

Now can we get back to dance bag discussions? After all it is a serious subject - because the bags are what we use to transport the shoes.

Jamie
20th-February-2007, 04:21 PM
Anyone would think you own more than one pair of shoes Lynn! :eek:

Gav
20th-February-2007, 04:23 PM
because the bags are what we use to transport the shoes.

Nah, I carry my own shoes. It wouldn't be fair to ask her to carry mine :devil:

Lynn
20th-February-2007, 04:30 PM
Anyone would think you own more than one pair of shoes Lynn! :eek:Whatever gave you that idea?!:innocent:

drathzel
20th-February-2007, 04:47 PM
Anyone would think you own more than one pair of shoes Lynn! :eek:

she does only have one pair of shoes......per outfit:whistle:

Lynn
20th-February-2007, 04:54 PM
she does only have one pair of shoes......per outfit:whistle:I still don't have quite as many as you though! (Outfits or shoes!)

straycat
20th-February-2007, 04:57 PM
Now can we get back to dance bag discussions? After all it is a serious subject - because the bags are what we use to transport the shoes.

I thought the bags used men for carrying things :whistle:

drathzel
20th-February-2007, 05:20 PM
I still don't have quite as many as you though! (Outfits or shoes!)

Not far off, as i have stopped buying :tears: recently

Lynn
20th-February-2007, 05:22 PM
Not far off, as i have stopped buying :tears: recentlyShoes, I guess. I seem to recall you buying a new outfit recently. :wink: Not that I would do anything like that....:whistle:

drathzel
20th-February-2007, 06:21 PM
Shoes, I guess. I seem to recall you buying a new outfit recently. :wink: Not that I would do anything like that....:whistle:

no especially not something similar:rofl:

Whitebeard
20th-February-2007, 08:00 PM
Well, yes. Up until now I've managed with a sponge/toilet bag which just about holds a small water bottle, a small towel, my specs case, a pen and paper should I wish to take note of something, and a packet of plasters should a lady attack my delicate skin with her nails or jewellery. No need for any change of clothing as I don't/can't exert myself that much.

However, I've been thinking of a second pair of slippier shoes [the current Bloch Stealths I don at home before leaving and doff when I get back ;-) - the stroll across the car park does them little harm] and in the absence of any local source I've been perusing online dancewear suppliers. And aren't they absolutely clueless and incompetent? What is the most important aspect of a dance bag - surely to goodness that is it's size; it's dimensions. I see a Bloch bag which might just be the modest sized ticket. Does the maufacturers site quote dimensions? (it must be long enough at 12ins+ to carry my size tens). No. Does any UK supplier quote dimensions; not so far as I can find. I have to go to a US site to find the size of this bag - and aren't the Americans great, they still speak my language; inches. And, they're cheaper in dollars, than English sites are in pounds. But it's red, rather than black (am I prepared to make such a big statement), and delivery times and other factors deter.

DKNY ?

Went to Matalan today for a new pair of Wranglers and, mindful of the mention of flight bags on this thread, kept my eye open as I wandered around. Even glanced over the womens bags section but they mostly looked pretty rubbishy. Eventually came round to the luggage section and staring at me was a flight bag/vanity case in the fiore range which looked just the size I had in mind. I'm a much more decisive shopper these days, so it's now mine. It's mainly black, though with skyblue trim, and so should be fairly distinctive (unless I have one of those 'he's wearing my shirt/toting my bag' moments).

Now, where'm I going to find the shoes to slot into it of a dance night ?

Lynn
20th-February-2007, 08:21 PM
Now, where'm I going to find the shoes to slot into it of a dance night ?I'll let a guy answer that. But of course now you have a new bag, you just have to buy a new pair of dance shoes!

Baruch
21st-February-2007, 02:56 AM
I'll let a guy answer that. But of course now you have a new bag, you just have to buy a new pair of dance shoes!
Said the voice of impartiality! :wink:

Don't do it, Whitebeard - it's a slippery slope leading to loads of shoes and a very much lighter wallet.

Lynn
22nd-February-2007, 12:34 AM
for my weekly class i tend to bring about 7 pairs of shoes as each week i feel comfortable in a different pair and i want to be comfortable when i am teaching and i put them all in my trusty ceroc drawstring bag!I've seen the evidence. Yep, 7 pairs in that bag. :respect: