PDA

View Full Version : Any great self invented moves?

Lee Bartholomew
14th-February-2007, 12:13 PM
Anyone invented any decent moves recently?

I managed to invent one last night where I bite SA's nose and put her on the floor twice. Im sure it looked better than it sounds.

SeriouslyAddicted
14th-February-2007, 12:34 PM

I managed to invent one last night where I bite SA's nose and put her on the floor twice. Im sure it looked better than it sounds.

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=341763&postcount=131

No need to guess who I was referring to in this thread now then !!!

Simon r
14th-February-2007, 12:38 PM

a few thanks for asking

TheTramp
14th-February-2007, 01:02 PM
No need to guess who I was referring to in this thread now then !!!

Actually, for some reason, when I read the original post, woodface did spring to mind. Can't think why! :rolleyes:

MartinHarper
14th-February-2007, 01:04 PM
Obviously nobody will give away their great self-invented moves, but I'm quite happy with my "Man's Basket Walk with a Wave". Even if it is frame-breaking.

TheTramp
14th-February-2007, 01:08 PM
Obviously nobody will give away their great self-invented moves, but I'm quite happy with my "Man's Basket Walk with a Wave". Even if it is frame-breaking.

That's not true. I teach them all the time. Well, the ones I invent. I'm not sure if anyone else thinks that they're great. Not to mention actually performing them, where they are then available for other people to watch and learn without me actually teaching them. The only way to stop them being given away is never to actually do them. I'm considering this with one particularly good one at the moment..... :wink:

Then, of course, you have to try to work out some more new self-invented moves.

MartinHarper
14th-February-2007, 01:10 PM
... I teach them all the time. ...

It's not really "giving away" if you're getting paid. :)

Gav
14th-February-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm working on a move from Norfolk to NW Kent/SE London, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off just yet and it may have been done before. :whistle:

SeriouslyAddicted
14th-February-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm working on a move from Norfolk to NW Kent/SE London, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off just yet and it may have been done before. :whistle:

:clap: Does that mean more dancing at Orpington/Bromley or even Tunbridge Wells if we can tempt you that far!

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 01:17 PM
Obviously nobody will give away their great self-invented moves
Why not? That's like saying "obviously no painter would display their great paintings" or "obviously no web designer would let anyone see their HTML code".

For example, Amir's not exactly shy about teaching people his invented moves.

It's not the move that makes it great - there are only so many ways two people can move together after all, and I'm sure they've all been used before. It's the way you use it that makes it great.

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 01:19 PM
So obviously no DJ would ever post a playlist for free then?
And no MJ teacher would ever give advice about dance technique?

TheTramp
14th-February-2007, 01:21 PM

True. But you don't have to teach your great moves. I know some teachers who have said that they don't teach their best moves in classes. They save those for themselves :what:

Those people probably don't post playlists either!

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 01:27 PM
True. But you don't have to teach your great moves. I know some teachers who have said that they don't teach their best moves in classes. They save those for themselves :what:
Hmmm, how does that work then? Do they sit in their rooms by themselves and gloat over their wonderful moves and how great they are? :devil:

(Actually, I can believe that of some Ceroc teachers...)

Chef
14th-February-2007, 02:05 PM

I am struggling to understand the artistry in such a move as this. Your report of it suggests that was a move concept that you feel works (but may require additional polish). Seriously addicteds' report of it on another thread suggests that it was not impressing her sense of artistry. You say that you "put" her on the floor (sounds quite nice and gentle) and that you did it twice (not sure if that was in the same move or if it was one move done twice) but Seriously addicteds' view of it was that she was "knocked onto her ar$e" (which doesn't sound so gentle).

It is such a ground breaking concept to include nose biting and knocking the lady to the floor within a move that someone like me, educated in old school dancing of "keep your feet underneath you" teaching cannot conceive of such a move.

Is there any chance you will put a video of you and SA doing this move on the web?

Double Trouble
14th-February-2007, 02:07 PM
Err........Donkey Drop and the Marmalade. :D :whistle: :wink: :yum: :devil:

Chef
14th-February-2007, 02:36 PM
Err........Donkey Drop and the Marmalade. :D :whistle: :wink: :yum: :devil:

I have never heard of these moves but it could be that

a) Different places have different names for the same moves. So it might be something I have been taught before - just that someone else calls it a different name.

b) I don't travel that widely so I don't get exposed to a wide variety of moves.

Perhaps some kind sould soul will put video of these moves on youtube for people like me.

Lee Bartholomew
14th-February-2007, 02:37 PM
Currently working on the Hover Spin (tm woodface inc)

Double Trouble
14th-February-2007, 03:21 PM
Perhaps some kind sould soul will put video of these moves on youtube for people like me.

No probs......when I see Woodface, I'll get him to demo with me and I will youtube them.

Simon r
14th-February-2007, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, how does that work then? Do they sit in their rooms by themselves and gloat over their wonderful moves and how great they are? :devil:

(Actually, I can believe that of some Ceroc teachers...)

No new moves are worked on for competitions to make one couple diffrent from another,
After that event we would then pass that on by teaching the move to others ....

Have you tried not to compare everyone to your own standards....

Why the comment i believe that of some Ceroc teachers ...are we diffrent from anyone else who teaches, ithink you will find this is the same for most genre of dance...

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 05:13 PM
No new moves are worked on for competitions to make one couple diffrent from another,
Assuming there was supposed to be a comma after the "no", then I doubt that competition-style moves would be easily-shareable or indeed very useful, unless being taught to other competitors.

After that event we would then pass that on by teaching the move to others ....
Well.. that's... nice... { /swamp thing } :innocent:

Have you tried not to compare everyone to your own standards....
I know, it's not easy being me.

Actually, all I'm saying is that the "move protection" mentality is like any other "protectionist" mentality - music, web sites, playlists etc. It's negative, it's wasteful, and generally it's pretty ineffective in the long run.

Personally, I don't have any great moves; I'd share them if I did. I share my experiences and suggestions, lowly though they may be, because I think information-sharing and peer-discussion is one of the best ways for me to improve.

But if we're talking about teachers, Amir shares his entire teaching programme, moves and all, so he obviously doesn't think that it's worthwhile keeping them secret.

Why the comment i believe that of some Ceroc teachers ...are we diffrent from anyone else who teaches
Yeah, you're uglier. All of you. So there. :na:

Ghost
14th-February-2007, 05:40 PM
Define "great"

Ghost Hallelujah (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=214195&highlight=ghost#post214195) - does exactly what I wanted it to and does it very well. It's not going to make you stand out on the dance floor though.

Pink Manhattens
Lead manhattens / mambo walks and travel left as you do so. Don't know what it actually looks like, but it's got a nice feel to it.

Yogi_Bear
14th-February-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm considering a self-invented move from Norwich to Evesham to be able to go to Utopia every week....:wink:

Yogi_Bear
14th-February-2007, 07:03 PM
I do rather like these:
Overturned shoulder pull
Half basket
Held shoulder slide into lady's walk around
Push break (adapted from WCS)
Double dominatr*x (oops, that was Michala's and needs two followers) :wink:

Gadget
15th-February-2007, 02:05 PM
You could have a look at the "Moves, moves, moves" workshop in my syg and invent some yourself. There are some examples of the moves I've come up with in the "Blues & Moves" workshop. And I've recently found another few I'm honeing.

{Note: "found" - I very much doubt that there are any moves that are to be "invented"; just pieces rearranged in a slightly different order - sheer arrogance to think I'm the only one who came up with a move... although I may be one of the few who actually use it :wink:}

FoxyFunkster
15th-February-2007, 09:21 PM
I`m currently doing a jango workshop with the fantastic Mr Amir Giles and he is actually quite protective over his stuff, he certainly doesn`t want us showing the routines to everyone till after the performances and quite rightly so, People like Simon R and Amir who are in this for business purposes as well as enjoyment do spread their knowledge but as Simon quite rightly points out this can only happen after they have utilised the moves first, then they can teach them, there would seem little point on working on new stuff if your merely going to develop it and then give it away!

Ghost
16th-February-2007, 12:13 AM
I`m currently doing a jango workshop with the fantastic Mr Amir Giles and he is actually quite protective over his stuff, he certainly doesn`t want us showing the routines to everyone till after the performances and quite rightly so, People like Simon R and Amir who are in this for business purposes as well as enjoyment do spread their knowledge but as Simon quite rightly points out this can only happen after they have utilised the moves first, then they can teach them, there would seem little point on working on new stuff if your merely going to develop it and then give it away!
I'd be interested on Amir's take on this. My understanding is more that he doesn't want the routines seen now as it will lessen the impact of their "official" viewing if we've seen them before. He was teaching at least one of the moves at the last T-Jive and explained the adaptation he'd made for the routine. (I'm guessing he'd also prefer it if the first viewed performances were "the finished product").

From a previous Jango class after being shown some of the moves from the routine being practiced at the time
"So are you going to teach us the whole routine then?" - ChrisA
"Well, yeah. Eventually. Keep coming to class :) " - Amir

FoxyFunkster
16th-February-2007, 03:42 PM
I'd be interested on Amir's take on this. My understanding is more that he doesn't want the routines seen now as it will lessen the impact of their "official" viewing if we've seen them before. He was teaching at least one of the moves at the last T-Jive and explained the adaptation he'd made for the routine. (I'm guessing he'd also prefer it if the first viewed performances were "the finished product").

From a previous Jango class after being shown some of the moves from the routine being practiced at the time
"So are you going to teach us the whole routine then?" - ChrisA
"Well, yeah. Eventually. Keep coming to class :) " - Amir

it is slightyl different concept to was simon was refering to. Amir does team cabaret and i please correct me if i`m wrong but i think simon only works on stuff for his showcase performance, so i woiuld think simon has more reason to reveal the new stuff post any perfor,mance, either way the truth is if i`m feeling a liitle flat with moves i`ll watch Phil or simon or any other top dancer and pick moves up that way....

FoxyFunkster
16th-February-2007, 03:45 PM
That should have read........it is slightly different concept to was simon was refering to, Amir does more team cabaret and i please correct me if i`m wrong but i think simon only works on stuff for his showcase performances, so i would think simon has more reason NOT to reveal the new stuff till after he performs it, either way the truth is if i`m feeling a liitle flat with moves i`ll watch Phil or simon or any other top dancer and pick moves up that way....[/quote]

JiveLad
16th-February-2007, 08:27 PM
One move, which is still at the conceptual stage is the Random Mangle. Inspired by Jackson Pollock, it involves:

1. Having no pre-conception of what the move will be or how it will turn out - so blank your mind
2. With both hands, turn, spin, twist, move arms in out and around until it 'feels' complete (usually about 10 seconds dependent on record)
3. Look at your partner with a vaguely apologetic grin and untwist as necessary - carry on in 'normal' mode.

Beowulf
16th-February-2007, 09:10 PM
sheer arrogance to think I'm the only one who came up with a move... although I may be one of the few who actually use it :wink:}

Gadget.. ALL your moves are great self invented moves :) :rolleyes: