PDA

View Full Version : Dance-specific sections?

David Bailey
13th-February-2007, 04:42 PM
What do people think about having subsections within "The Land of 1,000 dances" for specific dances?

e.g.

Tango
WCS
Ballroom

?

Lynn
13th-February-2007, 04:46 PM
Makes some sense I guess and other dance forums I am on do this - eg I'm on a salsa forum that has a tango section, swing/MJ section (guess who is the moderator of that bit :rolleyes: ) and a flamenco section.

Why is the Land of 1,000 dances now accessible without being registered/logged in? Not entirely happy about that, especially as it used to be available only to registered users and I posted in the past being aware of that. The change makes me wary of what I post anywhere on the forum now as similiar changes could happen to other sections. Anyone know when that happened?

straycat
13th-February-2007, 04:48 PM
Can't honestly see that there's (presently) enough threads to make it worth worrying about. Personally, I think it's shiny the way it is.

Stray
Unless you were planning on making a 'Morris' section, because I'm sure I wouldn't want to mix with people like that :devil: :whistle:

David Bailey
13th-February-2007, 04:49 PM
Makes some sense I guess and other dance forums I am on do this
Blimey, that was weird - you replied on that thread before I'd typed the "poll" bit in :eek: :rofl:

Why is the Land of 1,000 dances now accessible without being registered/logged in?
Dunno - that'll be one for Franck, I think.

Lynn
13th-February-2007, 04:52 PM
Blimey, that was weird - you replied on that thread before I'd typed the "poll" bit in :eek: I didn't know you were still working on the thread - these invisible people... :whistle:

OK - I'll go and vote.

LMC
13th-February-2007, 04:52 PM
Can't honestly see that there's (presently) enough threads to make it worth worrying about. Personally, I think it's shiny the way it is.
:yeah:

Splitting* might be worthwhile if traffic increases, but in the meantime I reckon AT can carry on slumming it with the rest of 'em :devil:

*cue: obligatory Life of Brian quote - I'll let someone else do that...

TheTramp
13th-February-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah. I don't see the point either. 2 (related) reasons:

1. This is a MJ forum. Other dances are at best a minor issue. I don't think that they require a forum set aside for them on their own.

2. A quick look at the 1000 dances forum shows that on the first page, there are threads that were last updated the 26th Jan. Only the top 4 threads have been updated in the last 4 days. It's not exactly hugely busy in there is it....

TheTramp
13th-February-2007, 05:04 PM
Splitting*

*cue: obligatory Life of Brian quote - I'll let someone else do that...

It's those Action Front of Tango people. Splitters.

(Happy now?)

LMC
13th-February-2007, 05:12 PM
Surely that would be the Tango Action Front? :innocent:

(Yes, ecstatic thank you)

TheTramp
13th-February-2007, 05:13 PM
Surely that would be the Tango Action Front? :innocent:

(Yes, ecstatic thank you)

Maybe it's the Front Action Ronde Tango. Or, as we like to know them.... :rolleyes:

frodo
13th-February-2007, 08:19 PM
Why is the Land of 1,000 dances now accessible without being registered/logged in? Not entirely happy about that, especially as it used to be available only to registered users and I posted in the past being aware of that. The change makes me wary of what I post anywhere on the forum now as similiar changes could happen to other sections. Anyone know when that happened?

It has been like that for quite a long time, but :yeah:.

Lou
13th-February-2007, 08:19 PM
Can we have a separate Monty Python forum, so that people who quote Python can be kept apart from me? Please? It's for their own sakes. :flower:

frodo
13th-February-2007, 08:24 PM
What do people think about having subsections within "The Land of 1,000 dances" for specific dances?

e.g.

Tango
WCS
Ballroom

?
I don't think it is near busy enough to justify it.

It can be a pain to go to a different subsection just for a single updated thread or so.

Also 'other' is very easy and well defined category, so it probably goes downhill from there.

Dreadful Scathe
13th-February-2007, 08:40 PM
Can we have a separate Monty Python forum, so that people who quote Python can be kept apart from me? Please? It's for their own sakes. :flower:

I already told you. Im not allowed to argue unless you've paid. :rolleyes:

ducasi
13th-February-2007, 11:41 PM
:yeah: for sci-fi and fantasy stuff too! :flower:

Lynn
14th-February-2007, 01:36 AM
Yeah. I don't see the point either. 2 (related) reasons:

1. This is a MJ forum. Other dances are at best a minor issue. I don't think that they require a forum set aside for them on their own. Shocking isn't it, that MJ dancers who do other styles want to talk about dance with other MJ dancers. :whistle:

Good grief, next thing people will be wanting a non dance related chat section. Or a geeks section. Or a book section. Or a part just to wish people happy birthday.:rolleyes:

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 09:01 AM
The reason I suggested it, was because I think it works well in the MJDA forum; and it allows a lot of different topics to be discussed in that place - of course, that may be just because of the general attitude of the MJDA-ers.

We have a lot of "depth" of threads here, but not much "width" - and dance-specific sections might encourage such width.

From a usability point of view, I don't feel the extra navigation is a burden, as most people won't manually navigate to this area more than once; but it does allow clear definition of the dances that people are discussing.

TheTramp
14th-February-2007, 09:33 AM
of course, that may be just because of the general attitude of the MJDA-ers.

Yeah. They're snooty, right? :whistle:

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah. They're snooty, right? :whistle:
Yeah, bunch of snooty snoots.

But they occasionally talk about dancing. Crazy people that they are.

ducasi
14th-February-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah, bunch of snooty snoots.

But they occasionally talk about dancing. Crazy people that they are.
It'll never catch on...

Lynn
17th-February-2007, 09:05 PM
Why is the Land of 1,000 dances now accessible without being registered/logged in? It now appears to be back in the 'registered users' level - I'm rarely on and not logged in, but just had a look.

But it definitely wasn't the other day, yes? Or am I going crazy...

Franck
18th-February-2007, 02:00 PM
But it definitely wasn't the other day, yes? Or am I going crazy...No Lynn, not going crazy, I fixed the setting after you pointed it out :hug:

Lynn
18th-February-2007, 04:32 PM
No Lynn, not going crazy, I fixed the setting after you pointed it out :hug:Thank you! :hug:

killingtime
19th-February-2007, 03:16 PM
Since I'm a Recent Posts and UserCP junkie I've got no idea what the forum structure actually is. I don't know where I am right now or anything. All I do is just take the pills when people tell me to and live in my happy state of ignorance.

Lynn
28th-February-2007, 06:11 PM
Why is the Land of 1,000 dances now accessible without being registered/logged in? Its back to being accessible to all again.

I don't mind some sections of the forum being open for all to read, without having to register - and I understand that its easy for anyone to register and thus be able to read everything. But shifting sections back and forward makes having any sections for registered users only a bit pointless, if tomorrow they may not be.

Is there a reason for this changing? What are the parameters for sections being for registered users only? And why are sections that were for registered users only now open to be read without registering/logging in?

Franck
28th-February-2007, 09:44 PM
Is there a reason for this changing? What are the parameters for sections being for registered users only? And why are sections that were for registered users only now open to be read without registering/logging in?No specific reasons for the recent random changes, except that the forum is growing ever complicated and I missed a few areas when updating permissions.

The current idea is to have most of the forum open to all (for reading not posting) and only to keep a few specific areas for registered members only.
At the moment, the Private Lounge, Upstairs, Outside, The Intermediate corner and the DJ booth are the only areas you need to be logged on for.

I am still undecided when it comes to Social events and 1000 dances, but currently leaning towards leaving them open to all.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention, but you haven't expressed a preference either way, so would appreciate your input.

Lynn
28th-February-2007, 10:35 PM
I am still undecided when it comes to Social events and 1000 dances, but currently leaning towards leaving them open to all.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention, but you haven't expressed a preference either way, so would appreciate your input.What I would like would be too complicated I guess - that areas and threads that were for registered users only, still are and that new threads can be open, if so decided. I think Social events should be for registered users and I'd prefer 1000 dances to be as well.

For example I felt free to ask question about a local tango class teaching point (the lead for the cross!) because it wasn't going to be found on a search engine by just anyone but required someone to be a registered user. But that thread is now one that is open and therefore that post is now searchable I presume?

Another dance forum I am is totally open. Another is registered users only for everything. And there are dance topics for discussion that I've opted to raise on it rather than here because of that.

I'm aware its all open to anyone who simply registers, and I do take things to PMs if I want to be more discreet about a situation that might be too identifiable.