PDA

View Full Version : Ladies - Suede Soled Shoes???

Chicklet
30th-June-2003, 11:08 AM
what are they good for, what are they bad for??

Seen a gorgeous pair, but thought I would check with the experts out there!!

Cx

Dreadful Scathe
30th-June-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet

Suede ho-ha! What is it good for. Absolutely nothing. Say it again.

Chicklet
30th-June-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Suede ho-ha! What is it good for. Absolutely nothing. Say it again.
:rofl:
such bellicosity on a mild Monday morning!!!
have your stinky users been bothering you before that third cuppa????

TheTramp
30th-June-2003, 11:41 AM
Why only ladies?

I have two pairs of suede soled dance trainers. And they're great. Would choose to wear them over all the other dancing footwear I have.

Steve

Lou
30th-June-2003, 11:43 AM
They are wonderful for those less than slippy floored venues (such as Elmgrove in Bristol). :nice:

Chicklet
30th-June-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Why only ladies?
Steve

helloooo Trampie!!!!

good to hear from you in our time zone!!!

was asking ladies cos I wasn't going to buy mens' shoes!!!!!

but your opinion is very valuable and I appreciate you taking the time to give the beginner's view!!!:kiss:
C

PS Lou, you just said exactly what I wanted to hear too!!!!
was very annoyed at a non-slippy floor last week and overbalancing all over the place cos my body was willing and spinning but the feet weren't playing!!!

Dreadful Scathe
30th-June-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Would choose to wear them over all the other dancing footwear I have.

Wouldnt they need to be progressivly bigger sizes? and you'd have MASSIVE clown feet if you did that ?!?

:what:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-June-2003, 12:07 PM

have your stinky users been bothering you before that third cuppa????

Im lecturing lecturers today - lots of gaps in the proceedings to visit here :).

Stuart M
30th-June-2003, 12:13 PM
Suede soled shoes This phrase should be used to decide whether a person's sober enough to be allowed on to a dancefloor - "If you just repeat this quickly three times into this microphone, sir.." :eek:

I bought a pair about 6 months ago, after swearing blind that I'd never take dancing seriously enough to buy special shoes for it...:sorry Good for dancing in but the maintenance is a bit of a nightmare. A good brush is essential, or you have to accept that they'll soon need re-soling after a few trips to the bar, lav, etc.

Or you could religiously change shoes every time you leave the dancefloor...

One problem I've found in using them was that the traction disappeared completely on the edge of the heels (especially when brand new...). Had a few skidding moments in them as a result. Whether this is just down to the particular shoes I have, or the way I dance, I don't know...any other blokes encounter this problem with suede soled shoes?

BTW Chicklet, this is too dance-relevant a thread for the Chit Chat section. Are you attempting to do the taking threads off-topic thing in reverse? :)

Jayne
30th-June-2003, 12:40 PM

Seen a gorgeous pair, but thought I would check with the experts out there!!

Cx

Chicklet,

IMHO suede soled shoes are the best for dancing in - although you need to take care of them.

Before you wear them make sure you've been to a good hardware shop and bought a proper wire brush (none of the poncy soft suede shoe brush things - get a proper wire brush!!) and brush your soles religiously after wearing to remove all crud.

Also, avoid any wet patches on the floor - you'll suddenly have shoes with sucker soles, not suede soles :tears: And never wear them outside... they'll turn into gremlins!

Enjoy!
J :nice:

Sheepman
30th-June-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
- although you need to take care of them.
And never wear them outside... they'll turn into gremlins!

Oh dear, it seems I've been going astray with this bit.
My absolutely favourite dance shoes are a pair with suede soles, bought well over 3 years ago, (for just a tenner) and still going strong. (Whereas my trainers, at over 5 times the price, are going home after about 7 months!) But I've been abusing them, with very little recent wire brushing - they're now smooth and shiny and great for spinning in. Well past the wire brushing stage, but very occasionally when I might need some grip, they get rubbed VERY lightly with a VERY coarse (40 grit) wet and dry paper. And as for wearing them outside, I recently had to dance 4 numbers on a Notting Hill pavement in them (it was dry, and as clean as your average dance floor), this did a great reconditioning job on the soles! But don't try this in your new shoes!

Greg

Jayne
30th-June-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
very occasionally when I might need some grip, they get rubbed VERY lightly with a VERY coarse (40 grit) wet and dry paper.

oooohh, I never thought of that! My Dad tried to retrieve mine from the "shiny suede" stage with a sanding disk attachment on his drill - it didn't make the slightest impact!!

Grant
30th-June-2003, 04:06 PM
I've been abusing them, with very little recent wire brushing - they're now smooth and shiny and great for spinning in.
Greg
I have a pair which have never seen a wire brush. They went smooth and shiny very quickly but as pointed out above that makes them easy to spin in. If you do this be very careful on dusty floors (like the one used for the Glasgow party nights) as they can be slippery.

Grant
PS. As Jayne pointed out it is best to keep the soles dry and also not to wear them outside if you want them to last.

Sheepman
1st-July-2003, 11:01 AM
with a sanding disk attachment on his drill!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Gobsmacked!
Seriously though - sanding down is usually done to produce smooth shiny surfaces . . .

And Grant is dead right, they can be too too fast on dusty floors.
Greg

Chicklet
1st-July-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks everybody - shoes purchased and test run for half of last night, so far so good, still feels a bit weird being in heels after months in the trainer things but I felt my posture was much more upright and I was pulling my tum in properly!!

Spinning was coming towards the end and I didn't end up on my arse once so I'm calling them a success - don't have an awful lot of clothes to go with them though - oh dear, might need to shop.:waycool:

DavidB
1st-July-2003, 11:37 AM
don't have an awful lot of clothes to go with them though - oh dear, might need to shop.Buying shoes, and then buying clothes to go with them - you must have met Lily

Jayne
10th-July-2003, 01:35 PM
very occasionally when I might need some grip, they get rubbed VERY lightly with a VERY coarse (40 grit) wet and dry paper.
Sheepman,

I acquired some wet and dry paper from my Dad at the weekend. Do I use it wet or dry? I'm thinking wet might damage them but if it's dry why not use ordinary sandpaper?

Cheers!

Chicklet
10th-July-2003, 02:00 PM
saw this coming around again and though I would report in, some of you have seen them cos I was dancing around like little goody two shoes on monday and saturday but I made my purchase and am delighted. thanks for all the advice!!
C

Lou
10th-July-2003, 02:33 PM
some of you have seen them Pic! Pic! :wink:

Chicklet
10th-July-2003, 02:48 PM
not in Lily or Deb's league but pretty damn fine for a first pair of grown up shoes when you have been dreaming of such a thing since you were 4 !!!:rofl:

Aleks
10th-July-2003, 03:01 PM
shoes there Chicklet!

Lou
10th-July-2003, 04:05 PM
Lovely shoes! :grin: :drool:

Dreadful Scathe
10th-July-2003, 04:17 PM
'mon the shoes

:)

Emma
10th-July-2003, 05:53 PM
ooh...a moment of silence for those shoes {................................................. ............................................}
*sigh*

[high-heeled shoe rant]
I still have trouble with that whole *heel* thing. I have wedges which are OK, and one pair of heel-esque dance shoes which I wear occasionally (incidentally they used to be gold, but I dyed them red - clever me!)..they're about 2 inches high I suppose, which isn't exactly tottering...but I just don't find them comfortable. I hear women describing their heeled dance shoes as comfortable...have they been on some sort of special training course or something? I'm distressed frankly, because there's a whole area of shoe-purchase I am currently denying myself on the basis that I shan't wear them...:tears: :tears:...and the LBD looks odd with trainers and the wedges aren't sufficiently glamorous for me, I admit it :sniff:
Girls, I need help. Well, we knew that, but specifically I need shoe-help :nice:
[/high-heeled shoe rant]

Chicklet
10th-July-2003, 06:20 PM
Thank you for the nice words.

well, I have to admit that as a short arse with pudgy legs I'm a big fan of the every day work heel as well as the evening heel so the whole heel thing as a concept wasn't that much of a challenge. I wore them round the office the day I got them to get the feel and get used to their particular nuances and can report thus: the upper at the back makes a BIG difference to how they adhere to the foot so would certainly recomend that in favour of the sling / strap back (even with a t-bar or such) as a dance shoe for the novice. I was more concerned with the toe arrangement, not being closed in, these particular beauties presented a theoretical hazzard for the small toe. However my fear has proved unwarranted as the straps and gaps are excellently placed to accommodate said tender items. Ref short arse and pudgy legs, I have not been brave enough to sport them with a skirt yet as the criss cross over the ankle will only serve to shorten (and therefore fatten) the leg. But I have developed a cunning plan to obtain a tin of gold spray paint for the legs (perfectly acceptable, I am an "autumn" after all) , that way I can create the illusion of length as I will be monocolour from (short) arse to toe. I will then have all the confidence in the world and dance like a dream!

so there you have it girls, the secret to dancing in heels is a can of spray paint!!!

C big:D

PS Noticed that we hit a record of people on line an hour or so ago, and can I just say that the shoes are absolutely DELIGHTED that so many of you logged on to view them!!

Let's post some more favourite shoes pictures and see if we can get a new record!!!

PPS seriously would LOVE to see other people's favourite shoe pictures!! I have pictures of most of my shoes (and my ice skates and my bowling ball, obviously) for insurance pictures so I'm sure y'all must have too!

Emma
10th-July-2003, 06:44 PM

PPS seriously would LOVE to see other people's favourite shoe pictures!! I have pictures of most of my shoes (and my ice skates and my bowling ball, obviously) for insurance pictures so I'm sure y'all must have too! ...you find out the oddest things on this forum...*and* your bowling ball, you say?

Gold legs certinly sounds like a plan...heck I dye mine brown (sooo convincing, darling) so why not gold?

Just don't clash with your beamer :wink:

Chicklet
10th-July-2003, 06:56 PM
oy you, I lugged that bowling ball as hand luggage from T'rono in 1989, we're very close!!

You'll appreciate this Ems, I have a pillarbox red lipstick that exactly matches the motor!!!:rofl: Can only wear it when I've got a nice new pot of Lipfix (TM) cos it bleeds a bit.

Emma
10th-July-2003, 07:02 PM
I am *so* resisting the temptation to suggest you dye your legs red to match....:what:

LilyB
11th-July-2003, 01:15 AM
not in Lily or Deb's league but pretty damn fine for a first pair of grown up shoes when you have been dreaming of such a thing since you were 4 !!!:rofl:

Yup - pretty damn fine pair of shoes. I got 2 myself - in gold and silver. When you look this good in heels, what's a bit of pain & discomfort, eh? :D

LilyB

DavidB
11th-July-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by LilyB
what's a bit of pain & discomfort, eh? What Lily fails to mention is who is suffering the "Pain & Discomfort"!

Divissima
11th-July-2003, 09:31 AM
ooooooh!!:what: :grin: How fantastic!! Can you teack TwK how to do that, David??

And referring back to Emma's high-heeled shoe rant, it does take a bit of practice to dance in heels. It has taken me ages to be able to do it - but I'm so glad I kept trying :grin: Of course, seeing Debster and Lily around looking wonderful in their shoes was a huge inspiration :grin: :wink: I have some similar to Chicklet's in tan satin, with a diamante t-bar. *sigh* would love to graduate on to 3 inch heels, but I fear two and a half is my limit :sad:

Lindsay
11th-July-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by LilyB
When you look this good in heels, what's a bit of pain & discomfort, eh? :D
LilyB

Does it wear off after a few months??... the pain of dancing all night long in heels??

Emma
11th-July-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
And referring back to Emma's high-heeled shoe rant, it does take a bit of practice to dance in heels. It has taken me ages to be able to do it - but I'm so glad I kept trying So what did you do....work up slowly or just grin and bear it until your feet stopped complaining (and you stopped toppling)?

Jayne
11th-July-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Emma
So what did you do....work up slowly or just grin and bear it until your feet stopped complaining (and you stopped toppling)?

when I did ballroom I just got on with it - but then again I've never really mastered the art of dancing in heels. I can do it, but I dance better in lower, stubby things...

Personally I'm not a fan of wearing heels at ceroc nights (either myself or others wearing them) - I always think that there's more chance of stabbing someone with them than at a Ballroom night. I think it's all those airsteps and crowded dance floors to blame....

J :sick:

Graham
11th-July-2003, 12:21 PM
I think it's all those airsteps and crowded dance floors to blame....
Airsteps: your favourite :grin: Or are you converted now? Last time I saw you (or rather heard you screaming) you still seemed a little wary of them :wink:

Jayne
11th-July-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Airsteps: your favourite :grin: Or are you converted now? Last time I saw you (or rather heard you screaming) you still seemed a little wary of them :wink:
No! I squeel less often than I used to but I'm no fan of them....

Chicklet
11th-July-2003, 12:30 PM
Personally I'm not a fan of wearing heels at ceroc nights (either myself or others wearing them) - I always think that there's more chance of stabbing someone with them than at a Ballroom night. I think it's all those airsteps and crowded dance floors to blame....

Very good point J, it had occured to me that extra care needs to be taken. I also don't want to wear them too long and risk the sore feet thing or wear them too long and loose the frisson of illicit grown up excitement I feel when I've got them on as this would probably lessen if I was wearing them all night.

So plan is for an hour or so at the start of the night when it's a)not quite so busy and b) I don't look too scruffy (scruffy and heels don't go!) and hot and bothered!:D

Dreadful Scathe
11th-July-2003, 12:35 PM
and hot and bothered!:D

so you dont wear heels when hot and bothered ?:confused: :)

Gadget
11th-July-2003, 12:47 PM
so you dont wear heels when hot and bothered ?:confused: :)
I doubt she wears much of anything when she's hot and bothered. :devil:

Divissima
11th-July-2003, 12:50 PM
Emma wrote:So what did you do....work up slowly or just grin and bear it until your feet stopped complaining (and you stopped toppling)? Pretty much... I always used to feel a bit unsteady in heels, but then when we did the team, Debster and the others looked so good in their heels that I just had to learn properly.
The unsteady feeling wears off as confidence grows... honest:wink:

Emma
11th-July-2003, 12:56 PM
The unsteady feeling wears off as confidence grows... honest:wink: Hurrah! :grin:

This is good for two reasons:

1) I am assured I will eventualy be able to dance in heels.
2) I get to buy shoes....several pairs...starting with low heels and working up.....

Mainly I am happy with the second reason :wink:

Chicklet
11th-July-2003, 01:07 PM
Pretty much... I always used to feel a bit unsteady in heels, but then when we did the team, Debster and the others looked so good in their heels that I just had to learn properly.
The unsteady feeling wears off as confidence grows... honest:wink:
I felt the biggest (not pain exactly but it might have been if I had worn them for long) difference was in how my calves felt. I do a little pavement pounding so although destined to be forever chubby, my legs are used to being used, but the next day I can certainly feel that i've been doing something "different".

The unsteady feeling really isn't so bad becasue the upper bit at the back means the shoe stays close to the foot.

Thinking about it a bit more, don't think I've had much unsteady feeling as a result of the shoes, plenty thru just being bad but not realy to do with the shoes because I'm sure I'm on my toes most of the time

Oooh, whole new mini subject, who puts their heels down a lot?
What's "right"??

Picturing a few blokes in the mind's eye don't think I like the look of guys up on their toes, and I can think of a couple. Like a man to look solid!!

Chicklet
11th-July-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
I doubt she wears much of anything when she's hot and bothered. :devil:
:rofl: maybe JUST the heels??

and a little Bulgari Black:waycool:

Emma
11th-July-2003, 01:26 PM
Oooh, whole new mini subject, who puts their heels down a lot?
What's "right"??
Um...was told by a ballroom dancing friend of mine that on your toes is correct....this has made a difference the few times I've danced (sober *ahem*) in heels, cos you are more stable..but I guess being constantly on my toes in thin soles is probably one of the difficulties of the heely thing, as well as the problem of putting yr foot down and finding you're on a itty-bitty heel rather than a nice big cushioned trainer :)

Jayne
11th-July-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Um...was told by a ballroom dancing friend of mine that on your toes is correct....this has made a difference the few times I've danced (sober *ahem*) in heels, cos you are more stable..but I guess being constantly on my toes in thin soles is probably one of the difficulties of the heely thing, as well as the problem of putting yr foot down and finding you're on a itty-bitty heel rather than a nice big cushioned trainer :)
hmmm, I think it depends on what move (and step within a move) you're doing. For example, I was taught that on a "step back" (eg the two of the two-three-cha-cha-cha) the heel should go down but there are other steps where you're not supposed to.

That's why I gave it up and came across to ceroc - just enjoy the dance!

Chicklet
11th-July-2003, 01:32 PM
getting flashes of Patrick Swayze shouting "don't put ya heel dahn":D

Slightly different tack again, guys, does it feel different, better, worse to dance with a girl in heels?

DavidB
11th-July-2003, 01:52 PM
guys, does it feel different, better, worse to dance with a girl in heels? It can feel different.
- She is unlikely to take big steps, but can get a really nice hip action on the smaller steps. So you should lead different moves.
- She is 2-3" taller, so be careful of the hair.
- On a slippy floor she might rely on you a bit more for support.

Would I notice if a lady suddenly started wearing heels? Only if Lily told me. In the meantime I'd just be wondering why the dance felt different.

David

Dreadful Scathe
11th-July-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

Would I notice if a lady suddenly started wearing heels? Only if Lily told me.

I tend to notice low cut tops and changes in hair colour - occasionaly even clothes, but thats about it :) :D

Chicklet
11th-July-2003, 02:23 PM
I tend to notice low cut tops and changes in hair colour - occasionaly even clothes, but thats about it :) :D
I've just remembered that the last time I saw you was in the Henry Wood Hall and my trousers were falling down at the back and I had to keep grabbing them- did you notice that??????:rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
11th-July-2003, 02:29 PM
I've just remembered that the last time I saw you was in the Henry Wood Hall and my trousers were falling down at the back and I had to keep grabbing them- did you notice that??????:rofl:

indeed, I think it was a full moon that night. :D :D

Aleks
11th-July-2003, 03:47 PM
my legs are used to being used, but the next day I can certainly feel that i've been doing something "different".

That would depend on your "core stability". If your vertical line of gravity is straight you'll probably not find much difference in your calf muscles with or without heels. if you naturally stand with your wieght down either the front or back of your body you will!

You're obviously an upright member of humanity!

Jayne
11th-July-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
You're obviously an upright member of humanity!
Are we talking about the same Chicklet????!! :really: :wink:

Sorry, Chickie... :sorry
J:wink:

Dreadful Scathe
11th-July-2003, 03:51 PM

ooh fight fight. Right both of you stripped to the waist for 6 rounds, no submissions at Glasgow Party. We need a referee - any volunteers ? :)

Aleks
11th-July-2003, 03:52 PM

You must remember that Chicklet and I have never met....

Dance Demon
11th-July-2003, 03:55 PM
ooh fight fight. Right both of you stripped to the waist for 6 rounds, no submissions at Glasgow Party. We need a referee - any volunteers ? :)

Ooohhh yes please, I've had some previous refereeing experience, I could do that, ...oh go on.....:yum: :rofl:

Aleks
11th-July-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Ooohhh yes please, I've had some previous refereeing experience, I could do that, ...oh go on.....:yum: :rofl:

OK - do you want it with or without mud?

Chicklet
11th-July-2003, 04:06 PM

well I would probably have gone for "pert" rather than "upright":wink:
but other than that my conscience is perfectly clear:D :D

and there's no WAY we're fighting unless it's in Turkish Rasul aromatic mud eh Jayne??:waycool:

Dance Demon
11th-July-2003, 05:02 PM

there's no WAY we're fighting unless it's in Turkish Rasul aromatic mud eh Jayne??:waycool:

Oh good grief....this just keeps on getting better:yum: :D

Lou
16th-July-2003, 04:08 PM
I've just found a wonderful site where it seems they make dance shoes to your specification.

http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/index1.htm

You can choose heels, soles, shape, straps, colours, fabrics, the lot. And extra sparkle! :wink:

Has anyone tried them before?