PDA

View Full Version : Partner wanted for Waltz

Seahorse
12th-February-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi there :flower: ,

I'm hoping to join several friends from my local ceroc venue (Wessex House, SW London) who are learning to Waltz.

They have organised a (good:clap:) teacher who is prepared to tailor a customised course which focuses on learning to Waltz so that we can actually dance around the room (rather than learning a 'set routine' of moves which seem to last only 30/40 seconds - a common criticism of other ballroom classes I've been to). The hope is that after five weeks everyone will be confident enough to glide around the floor as Fred and Ginger :worthy: once did! I think it will be great fun.

The partners/couples are fixed (i.e. there is no rotation) and mean that I'm hoping to find someone (a lady :wink: ) who is prepared to learn with me (I've been dancing 3.5yrs). The details are as follows.

A five-week course starting on 28th February
Every Wednesday (8pm - 9pm) in Wandsworth
Cost is £60 (£12 per class) payable at the first class.

If you are interested then please PM me.

Cheers, Chris

Little Monkey
12th-February-2007, 03:31 PM
I'd love to do this!

Only.....

I live 480 miles away from Wandsworth.........

Maybe Greg would be up for this? He actually lives there, and he does look smashing in a blonde wig and a little black dress! :D :rofl:

robd
12th-February-2007, 04:17 PM
They have organised a (good:clap:) teacher who is prepared to tailor a customised course which focuses on learning to Waltz so that we can actually dance around the room (rather than learning a 'set routine' of moves which seem to last only 30/40 seconds - a common criticism of other ballroom classes I've been to). The hope is that after five weeks everyone will be confident enough to glide around the floor as Fred and Ginger :worthy: once did! I think it will be great fun.

Freestyling waltz in 5 hours? Good luck to you Chris :grin:

More seriously, we learnt a small set routine for waltz as part of the wider ballroom beginners course I took last term with the Cambridge University Dancers Club. It consisted of

Reverse turn
Whisk & Chasse
Outside Change
Natural Turn
Hesitation Change

(I could be wrong on some of the names above though)

and the last pattern flows naturally into the first and, crucially given what you wrote above would permit you to work your way around the floor. I actually got to run through it with Sparkles at Hammersmith on Sat night and it went OK (of course, it helps a lot to have a very experienced follower )

I think most ballroom is based around set patterns and the concept of freestyle as we know it isn't there but it would be better if someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject were to comment. What I can say without fear of contradiction is that when it works and flows, the Waltz feels so special, it's lovely.

Hope you get a partner and it goes well.

Robert

Lory
12th-February-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi I'm hoping to find someone (a lady :wink: ) who is prepared to learn with me (I've been dancing 3.5yrs). I can vouch that Chris is a lovely dancer!

the Waltz feels so special, it's lovely.

Hope you get a partner and it goes well.

:yeah: Its a beautiful dance :drool: I hope you find a partner soon! :flower:

HelenB
12th-February-2007, 05:00 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears: I live too far away for a "school" night

I used to dance ballroom/latin until I moved and lost my dance partner - it's hard to find someone who wants to learn as well but not too bothered about competing. I went along to the classes at Oxford uni but all the men were in fixed couples

Good luck Chris in finding someone (and feel free to ask for a Waltz if you meet me :flower: )

frodo
12th-February-2007, 11:57 PM
...and the last pattern flows naturally into the first and, crucially given what you wrote above would permit you to work your way around the floor. I actually got to run through it with Sparkles at Hammersmith on Sat night and it went OK (of course, it helps a lot to have a very experienced follower )...

There is often an criminally empty floor, just asking to be made good use of, at the beginning of a night, but sneaking a waltz past a DJ sounds complicated.

robd
13th-February-2007, 10:48 AM
There is often an criminally empty floor, just asking to be made good use of, at the beginning of a night, but sneaking a waltz past a DJ sounds complicated.

Ah, we weren't actually on the dancefloor. We were just practicing in one of the council reception areas downstairs (which will make no sense if you've not been to Hammersmith).

I did want to follow up my posts though by asking about the ballroom practice at Ashtons at the start of their freestyles. Do they play suitable music for waltz? If so, what time does it start? I don't normally manage to get there until 9ish but did wonder if I could make it a bit earlier one time.

We did a recap of the routine I listed in my earlier post at our class last night. Very good fun it was too.

Lory
13th-February-2007, 10:55 AM
I did want to follow up my posts though by asking about the ballroom practice at Ashtons at the start of their freestyles. Do they play suitable music for waltz? If so, what time does it start?

If Bob's Djing, then yes, although Erick's very accomodating too.

A mix of Waltz, Quickstep, Foxtrot, Cha cha, Rumba, Samba and Tango are played from about 8pm for about 45mins to an hour, depending on how many MJ punters have arrived by then.:nice:

Sparkles
13th-February-2007, 11:03 AM
If Bob's Djing, then yes, although Erick's very accomodating too.

A mix of Waltz, Quickstep, Foxtrot, Cha cha, Rumba, Samba and Tango are played from about 8pm for about 45mins to an hour, depending on how many MJ punters have arrived by then.:nice:

Oooh! I didn't know they did that!
Thanks for the info, Lory. Now feeling very tempted to try and get there earlier next time :flower: