PDA

View Full Version : Has a weekender class encouraged you to try a different dance style regularly?

LMC
11th-February-2007, 12:55 PM
(Hold on, poll on its way)

Limit to poll options means that I've had to be vague, and sure that there are styles missed, sorry - please feel free to add detail :nice:

Unfortunately, most of mine are "on the list" to do - WCS when there are closer classes and I have the mental energy to take it in; ballroom only if I can get a regular partner. But I wouldn't have considered either of these if it hadn't been for weekender classes.

The few AT classes I have done were at the instigation of other forum members (guess :whistle: ) and I do intend to get back to them when finally calms down next month!

Achaeco
11th-February-2007, 01:08 PM
Started ballroom many years ago but with the amount of people in the ballroom class (eg Waltz) it would not inspire me to start again.
I have attended a WCS class Last June and would like to do more.

LMC
11th-February-2007, 01:26 PM
Nearly forgot - I tried the Charleston at one weekender class (last September) and didn't get along with it - so that's in 'Other' - although I s'pose I could class it as Swing/Lindy?

Agree with numbers of people in ballroom classes being a problem Achaeco - it's why I'll only do them if I can persaude someone to fix with me so I get some enjoyment out of it. I did the Lambada class at Feb SP in rotation 'cos I wasn't too fussed - decided I'd bail if I wasn't enjoying it - but it was in the Latin room (fewer people, easier to see the stage), the numbers were fairly even so I stayed the whole hour and it was a lot of fun.

Icey
11th-February-2007, 02:44 PM
I managed to arm-twist Mr Darcy into doing the WCS class at the BFG last year and we've managed to do a workshop since then. Unfortunately due to studying and general workload that is all we have managed.

But, once I qualify (hopefully soon - I've been working on it far too long) I will have the time and funds to be able to follow up on the WCS and hopefully Ballroom classes more regularly :)

Double Trouble
11th-February-2007, 06:47 PM
Gav has trid to persuade me to do AT, but I just cant stand it.

If it aint funky...DT aint interested.:na:

Lynn
11th-February-2007, 06:51 PM
Not an MJ weekender but a local one for the AT taster that made me want to learn more.

Lindy - tried it, went to local classes for a few months - got sore knees (I know, probably because I wasn't doing it properly) and stopped (and the pain in my knees stopped).

WCS - definitely have got interested in this through weekender classes - mostly Southport. No local classes (and I've been asking around the line dancing circuit too) so I'm going to have to pursue learning that one at weekenders and occasional events and via DVDs.

Taster classes on weekenders are fun, and definitely a good way of seeing what other dance styles appeal.

Dance Demon
11th-February-2007, 08:08 PM
Vincent & Flavias AT class at Southport has left me wanting more. Will probably seek out local classes now..........erm....once the decorating's done..:whistle:

Daisy Chain
11th-February-2007, 08:14 PM
Gav has trid to persuade me to do AT, but I just cant stand it.

If it aint funky...DT aint interested.:na:

:yeah: AT - All that unnecessary leg wiping *shudders*.

I'd love to re-start ballroom dancing but round here, if you don't take a partner to the class, you don't get to dance.

Daisy

(A Kopylova Wannabe)

ducasi
11th-February-2007, 08:49 PM
I've done some WCS at various weekenders, which did lead me on to doing some regular classes, but I haven't kept them up...

I've done some AT in a few places, but that has tended to put me off doing classes, rather than the other way about.

And then I've done miscellaneous other dances at weekenders - some swing-type things, some ChaCha, but never fancied doing any more.

I think my dance friends and this forum have been greater influences on me trying other dance styles than any taster class I've done.

Little Monkey
11th-February-2007, 09:28 PM
Yup, did WCS at Southport and wanted to continue. Just a bummer there's no regular WCS classes in Dundee..... So now I go to weekend workshops (if I can make them), and try to practice with Greg whenever I see him...

Tried a bit of AT before I ever went on a weekender, but must say having done AT classes at weekenders have made me want to do more. Again, no classes in Dundee.......

MartinHarper
13th-February-2007, 01:18 AM
Nearly forgot - I tried the Charleston at one weekender class (last September) and didn't get along with it - so that's in 'Other' - although I s'pose I could class it as Swing/Lindy?

30s Charleston is commonly included in Lindy dances and 20s Charleston is also included, though it is rarer. Both types of dance fall under the broad "swing" umbrella.

Gav
13th-February-2007, 11:22 AM
:yeah: AT - All that unnecessary leg wiping *shudders*.

Yes, that bit is quite unnecessary! :na:

I tried American Smooth last year at Bliss and would love to have taken it up, but guess what? No classes :mad:

I tried AT off my own back because there were lots of local classes and I just loved it straight away. :awe: Didn't think I ever would either, but it just goes to show that you won't know until you give it a try. :na:

Rachel
13th-February-2007, 11:38 AM
...I tried American Smooth last year at Bliss and would love to have taken it up, but guess what? No classes :mad: ...Genuine question - I'm curious: how does American Smooth differ from modern jive if they were being danced to the same tracks?
Rachel

David Bailey
13th-February-2007, 11:46 AM
Genuine question - I'm curious: how does American Smooth differ from modern jive if they were being danced to the same tracks?
Rachel
Presumably coz they're different dances?

I mean, you can MJ or cha-cha to a lot of Latin tracks, but that doesn't make MJ the same as cha-cha. Another example - most MJ tracks are also milonga-able, I imagine.

Nessiemonster
13th-February-2007, 11:47 AM
Would love to try AT and ballroom, but sadly there appear to be a lack of classes up this way. (The price you pay for stunning scenery???!) If anyone knows of any though....

Rachel
13th-February-2007, 11:52 AM
Presumably coz they're different dances?

I mean, you can MJ or cha-cha to a lot of Latin tracks, but that doesn't make MJ the same as cha-cha. Another example - most MJ tracks are also milonga-able, I imagine.Yes, true - badly worded question, sorry. What I meant was, what are the defining characteristics of American Smooth? Are there set steps/footwork/structured sequences?

David Bailey
13th-February-2007, 11:58 AM
Yes, true - badly worded question, sorry. What I meant was, what are the defining characteristics of American Smooth? Are there set steps/footwork/structured sequences?
Apparently so - there's some information here:
http://www.dancesport.uk.com/articles/amsmooth.htm

Rachel
13th-February-2007, 12:15 PM
Apparently so - there's some information here:
http://www.dancesport.uk.com/articles/amsmooth.htmExcellent - thanks! Looks good, actually.

ducasi
14th-February-2007, 12:08 AM
Genuine question - I'm curious: how does American Smooth differ from modern jive if they were being danced to the same tracks?
Rachel
From what I've seen of "American Smooth", given the same 4/4 music *some* American Smooth dances may look remarkably similar to *some* Modern Jive dances – especially if the MJ is done in a smooth, bluesy style.

But I'm hardly an expert. :)

purplehyacinth
14th-February-2007, 10:59 PM
Errrrm. An option not above. I first tried out ceroc on a weekender (does IVFDF count as a weekender? - well it lasts for a weekend).... and here I am :) .

Going to try Lindy and various other swing-type dance styles at IVFDF this year (e.g. Balboa, Charleston). Will have to wait and see whether I get hooked on any of them................