PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone recommendations

LMC
10th-February-2007, 02:31 PM
I know this topic pops up quite frequently, but phone technology changes even faster, so ...

I'm about due an upgrade on my phone.

Obviously, the phone/texting needs to work reasonably well, and since I am a man in a woman's body and never read instruction manuals, a reasonably easy interface would be good. Not bothered whether it's a flip top, slider or basic Nokia-type configuration, but it MUST NOT have one of those stupid little aerials which gets caught on things. Weight/size secondary to functionality (well, within reason).

I am probably the only person in the universe who hasn't got either an MP3 or an Ipod, so MP3 is a must - with biggest memory possible. Also, I bought my digital camera from Noah when he got off the ark, so a decent camera would be good too (although secondary).

Have taken a look at http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/ and am quite attracted to the Sony Ericsson W850i. Anyone got one? Comments?

Any other recommendations?

ducasi
10th-February-2007, 02:50 PM
I really like Sony Ericsson phones, though they tend to be a bit on the chubby side... (Yikes! A fattist comment! :eek:)

That said, if you can weight (geddit?) a few months, they have put some of their phones on a diet. The result can be seen here (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/02/06/sony_ericsson_walkman_phone_launch/).

Otherwise, the W850i looks like a good bet. :)

dave the scaffolder
10th-February-2007, 02:52 PM
I have a Nokia old version and it is virtually indistructable, i have dropped it off scaffolding at a great height, put it back together and it still works. Once i dropped it down the toilet cleaned it off put it on the radiator and next morning it worked again. Go with a Nokia babe they are the choice of construction workers everytime tough and reliable. xxx

LMC
10th-February-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm on my 4th or 5th Nokia, and agree, they are functional and indestructible - but since I'm no longer working outdoors, don't need to worry about that.

My current Nokia (6820) has no audio (not even radio like the previous one :( ) and the camera is, to put not too fine a point on it, *****.

Nokia used to be top of the game - now I'm not so sure they are.

As I said in my first post: decent MP3 and camera are the main things I'm looking for. Might be worth hanging out until next month to see if that new generation Sony comes with a reasonable price tag on my contract, thanks ducasi :)

Tessalicious
10th-February-2007, 03:41 PM
I have a Samsung D900 (http://shop.carphonewarehouse.com/pay-monthly/samsung/d900-red/)and it's great (except when it's been dropped in the washing up bowl). It has a pretty good camera, including some basic image editing software, and a pretty good music player interface, although I don't use it because I have an mp3 player.

Judging from my Sony mp3 player experience, I would avoid them again - they're just a bit complicated and the computer interface (Connect) is a bit messy. The phones might be different though - and that one you mention is probably one of the best.

HTH

DavidY
10th-February-2007, 03:44 PM
Like LMC I'm looking for a mobile I can upgrade to.

As far as free upgrades go, the chap I spoke to last night says I can choose from: Nokia 6230i
Nokia 6234
Nokia 6085 (if I want a flip phone)
Sony-E V630i
Sharp GX29Looking for reliability, good reception, bluetooth, and some form of camera (but not fussed about resolution).

Any recommendations? I'm tempted by the 6230i as I read somewhere that the (more flash) 6234 suffers from bad reception because it's 3G.

Tessalicious
10th-February-2007, 04:07 PM
One other comment about the Samsung v Sony v Nokia - texting etc on the Samsung is very similar to how I remember it working on the Nokias I used to have. Sonys and Motorolas (both of which I've had in between) are completely different, both in different ways. That's part of the reason why Samsungs are very usable - they are familiar even though they're not actually Nokias.

JiveLad
10th-February-2007, 06:33 PM
If you can stretch your budget a bit more, I would recommend the JSC Ancort.

It does have some rare blue diamonds included in the base model.

Not sure if it has a camera though. When I took mine to a Ceroc freestyle, a lady was quite keen on it - so I swapped it for her Nokia 610i as I don't really go for diamonds.

http://image2.sina.com.cn/IT/mobile/n/2006-07-18/f435d37722b4373ee0f2f7616b7fd190.jpg

Beowulf
10th-February-2007, 06:41 PM
I really like Sony Ericsson phones, though they tend to be a bit on the chubby side... (Yikes! A fattist comment! :eek:)

That said, if you can weight (geddit?) a few months, they have put some of their phones on a diet. The result can be seen here (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/02/06/sony_ericsson_walkman_phone_launch/).

Otherwise, the W850i looks like a good bet. :)

:yeah:

I have a K750i at the moment and looking to upgrade soon. I'm considering a K800i (theres really not much between that and the W850i but I don't really need all the media features of the W850i and the camera would probably get more use.. so why I plan to chose the K800i )

StokeBloke
10th-February-2007, 06:43 PM
One of the best phones on the market for features and price ATM in my opinion is the Sony Ericsson K750i (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&zone=pp&pid=10242)- great phone, Memory Stick data storage for easy upgrade (mine has a 2GB card in it). 2M/pixel camera. Radio. MP3 player. £100. Go on... treat yourself! ;)

jive_me
10th-February-2007, 06:51 PM
I have a Samsung D600...love it...apart from the fact that the battery life is RUBBISH! It will have full battery showing for absolutely ages but make one phone call and it seems to die on me pretty quickly? Anyone know what the battery life is like on the D900??? I'm coming up for a swap soon :D

xXx:flower:

LMC
10th-February-2007, 06:54 PM
K750i - I will certainly look into it - t'would be free on my contract :D - thanks SB. Standby and charge time look a bit poor though?

Martin
10th-February-2007, 07:24 PM
I am looking for a flip top phone that has NO buttons outside!

I bought a nokia 6131 reasently, but unfortunately on/off , camera, and volume controls on the sides.... I would like, when it closes, there are NO buttons to knock, so I do not need to put keypad lock on and when it goes off I open it.

Is there any out there?

Ronde!
10th-February-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm usually a mere lurker in this forum, but I thought I'd drop in a note on this topic as I might be able to lend some professional experience. I'm currently Lead Researcher in Australian standards for the use of mobile devices in education (see my blog here: http://mlearning.edublogs.org), so I've done quite a bit of recent work researching the various mobile phones out there, from a reasonably objective viewpoint.

My own current phone is a Samsung D900, a sleek black slider phone and currently the thinnest on the market at just 12.9mm. Apart from styling, it's got the best navigation I've seen in a recent-model phone: the navigation system was designed in consultation with interface experts from Adobe. It has an excellent camera (3.2 megapixels) and audio player (supporting MP3 and AAC codecs), and supports external memory, so it'll basically play as many songs as you can cram onto 1GB micro-SD cards. if independant reviews are anything to go by, it scores the highest user rating of any mobile phone on the CNET review site (8.8/10).

Unfortunately, 1GB memory cards are the biggest it will reliably take - for me, this is 200-250 songs at high quality MP3 compression, or 300-350 songs using high quality AAC+ compression (which has better quality at higher compression rations than MP3). Also, the camera, while high in resolution and fairly good in good lighting conditions, gives photos a slightly blue cast in dimmer light conditions and a little noisy. Phone cameras with better quality lenses, such as Carl Zeiss lenses in the Nokia N73, or better processing, such as Cyber-Shot technology in Sony-Ericcsons, make the D900's photo results look a bit dull by comparison.

Nokias have certainly been making excellent phones for over a decade. I was a strict Nokia fan from 1996-2003, and I didn't have a single lemon among them - all were stylish, highly functional phones. Currently, Nokia's "media" phones are its N-series, which feature superb Carl Zeiss optics, high memory capabilities, and have the added advantage of being 3G capable. You lose a bit on slimness and portability though, as the N-series are all quite square-looking, largish phones. However, if this doesn't bother you overly much, I will say that the Nokia N73 takes the best quality photos I've ever seen from a mobile phone, in a range of lighting conditions. An additional advantage of Nokia phones is that Nokia are releasing a new navigation service called "Smart2Go," which allows Nokia and Windows Mobile users to download free maps onto their handsets (either remotely or through a PC to save on download costs) for over 150 coutries around the world. The maps are searchable and even provide Points of Interest and navigation guidance. For those who are interested, I have a more complete write-up on Smart2Go on my blog. (For other phone users who feel like they're missing out on having e-maps on their phones, you can still use Google Maps for Mobiles, which Google unveiled last week, which has 90% of the features of Smart2Go, but doesn't allow you to download or store maps to your mobile using your cheap PC internet connection.).

Some of the Sony Ericcsons I've seen seem to do a reasonable job of playing music and taking photos. In particular, their Cyber-shot range of mobile phone cameras seem to do the impossible and can capture a burst of high-quality images in series within less than a second - very handy for taking photos of dancing, as dancers move so fast you need to adopt an "action photography" strategy to really get any decent images. CNET's editors have also named the 3.2 Megapixel K800i as the best camera phone of 2006. However, to make the best use of Sony's Cyber Shot camera phones, you'll need to use them in good lighting conditions. Another plus of Sony's "Walkman" phones is that they use a standard 3.5mm audio-out jack. This makes it much easier to use your own headphones, or connect your mobile phone to external wired speakers. If you decide on another model or make of mobile phone, however, there are plenty of after-party adaptors to convert non-standard audio-out ports to a standard 3.5mm format - for example, the one for my Samsung D900 cost about 5 pounds sterling, delivered, on eBay.

On the downside, I have a serious dislike of Sony's proprietary Memory Stick format, Digital Rights Management, and proprietary Atrac audio encoding systems. Sony's proprietisation of every aspect of music storage and delivery makes it much harder to share and use songs I already own on Sony Ericcson handsets; many aspects of their Digital Rights Managment strategies are repugnant to me as a mobile consumer.

There's a comparison of photos taken with a Samsung D900, Nokia N73, and Sony Ericcson K800i? (I think) somewhere around on the net, but I'm about to have breakfast with my girlfriend so I'll have to cut this, erm, short. You can probably do a quick Google for that comparison and bring it up pretty quickly... hope all this helps. :)

LMC
11th-February-2007, 01:34 PM
Interesting to hear about the proprietary stuff, thanks VERY much for the heads up on that, as that would annoy me no end as well! Will take a look at the Samsung.

ducasi
11th-February-2007, 03:33 PM
WRT Sony's proprietary slant, it's probably fair to say that it isn't so bad on the Sony Ericsson phones. They do use Sony memory sticks rather than more standard SD cards, but that's not a big deal. The other things Ronde mention aren't really an issue on their phones - except maybe DRM, which is worth looking at a little more closely...

A lot of the DRM-type restrictions on some phones are actually put there by Vodaphone, or other network providers instead of the phone manufacturer themselves - e.g., the standard SE version of my phone (the K700i) allows you to copy music on and off without restriction. The Vodaphone version requires that you DRM wrap your music before putting it on the phone so you can't share it.

This is just one of the reasons why I buy SIM-free phones rather than crippled, badged versions distributed by the networks.

DavidY
11th-February-2007, 03:36 PM
This is just one of the reasons why I buy SIM-free phones rather than crippled, badged versions distributed by the networks.Must admit I never thought to look into that - but doesn't that mean they are a lot more expensive though?

Where's a good place to buy them from?

ducasi
11th-February-2007, 04:25 PM
Must admit I never thought to look into that - but doesn't that mean they are a lot more expensive though?

Where's a good place to buy them from?
They are more expensive, but if you don't go for a contract, then it can work out cheaper - or at least similar to a pay as you go phone.

I bought my K700i from the Carphone Warehouse, but there's lots of places online that sell them.

Twirlie Bird
12th-February-2007, 12:28 AM
I have just brought a Sony Ericsson K750i for less than £100 at Carphone Warehouse. You can put whatever size memory card you want into it. If you put a 4Gb one in you then have as much media storage as the ipod nano.

I have always been a Nokia girl but fell in love with this phone when my friend brought one. It took a little while to get used to the texting as what was the space button on the Nokia is the 0 key on the Ericsson. It's got a brilliant userface as well. There is no need to read any books. Honestly!

This phone is all I need to take when I go out. It's got the mp3 player (earphones included) for the journey, an amazing camera (the lens cover is on the back. You just slide it across, point and click) and of course the phone itself. I can't recommend it high enough. :nice:

LMC
12th-February-2007, 03:01 PM
OK, following a lunchtime expedition...

Since the size of the phone is inversely proportional to street cred, I did take a shine to the Samsung X830 (http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/samsung-x830.htm). But the keypad would be a pain, and worse, it doesn't have the facility to change memory cards. Shame.

So it's looking like the Samsung D900 for me.

Just need to decide whether to stick with T-mobile or go sim free. If I go sim free, then I'm still tied to a 12-month contract, which seems a bit bizarre? So any more explanation on how this actually works and the benefits (idiot's guide style for a real fick'ead, who hasn't upgraded their Nokia brick since 2004) would be much appreciated please? :flower: - e.g. would there be better network coverage if you're not tied to one provider's software?

Thanks

ducasi
12th-February-2007, 05:14 PM
Buying a "SIM free" phone is good for a number of situations, but probably not yours.

You still need a SIM to put in it, so (unless you decide to change networks) you'd still use your existing T-Mobile SIM, and still use their network.

Some of the advantages are, you get the phone the phone manufacturer designed, without any customisations by your network; your phone is not "locked" to one network, so you have the freedom to move networks; you can give/sell/lend the phone to someone on a different network.

The big disadvantage is that the networks build in the cost of a phone into their contract prices, so you'll be paying for your phone twice.

Pay-as-you-go deals don't have the cost of the phone built-in as much, so it makes more sense if you're on one of these.

tsh
12th-February-2007, 05:22 PM
A couple of other benefits of sim-free, with the fancy new phones which need their software upgraded to make them work better, the un-branded firmware sometimes comes out sooner. Biggest plus for me was that when I ended up spending a few months in France, i could just buy a local PAYG sim card there, and use that rather than paying 70p/min for my calls!

Paul F
12th-February-2007, 06:20 PM
I have just upgraded and was toying between 2 - the Nokia N95 (just about to be released) and the PDA'esq VarioII from t-mobile.

In the end I went for the VarioII as the t-mobile offer of free fully-functional internet was nothing short of unbelievable but the N-95 does look like a VERY TASTY phone. :wink:

LMC
13th-February-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, I'm now the proud owner of one of these (http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/samsung-e900.htm) :D

I know I said I was going for the D900 - but hey, I'm a woman, I'm inconsistent. The E900 is only half the weight, and although the reviews didn't come out quite as well as the D900, I just *liked* it. It's BLACK. Fatter than the D900, but not excessively bricklike.

Fairly easy to use - only took 30 seconds to work out how to get rid of all the annoying noises which happen every time you switch it on, move the slider, press a key ... although I will have to RTFM for some of the non-phone functions during the week.

I've stuck with the T-mobile contract for the moment - I could have got a good deal on a sim free contract with Orange, but it was £10/month more than 'staying put' and I would still have been locked in for 12 months. I'll review then ...

Thanks all for feedback/suggestions :)

ducasi
14th-February-2007, 12:02 AM
I like the look of Samsung phones, and would consider getting one except that they are not compatible with iSync on my Mac, and so will not keep its calendar and address book in sync with my computer.

(Here comes the science!) As I understand it, it is because Samsung phones don't allow bluetooth peers to use SyncML without jumping through hoops (that's a technical term), and so Apple's software cannot currently work with them.

Hopefully Samsung will get with the programme, or Apple will figure out the hoops necessary to jump through...

Anyway, cool phone LMC! :waycool:

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 10:34 AM
I now like the stuff you can do with 3 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6355449.stm)... :clap:

ducasi
14th-February-2007, 10:43 AM
I now like the stuff you can do with 3 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6355449.stm)... :clap:
Give me a web browser, an email client and an SSH terminal and I'm happy.

From the article...

Vodafone just announced a string of deals that will bundle YouTube, MySpace, eBay, Google maps and Yahoo and MSN instant messaging on its 3G phones. Hold me back! :rolleyes:

mick s
14th-February-2007, 10:52 AM
I have a SE V630i quite light to keep in your pocket, camera not as good as some of the other SE range though.

Complete music experience with RadioDJ, music player, music Keys, Disc2Phone, USB mass storage, Bluetooth™ A2DP Stereo and Stereo Headset
* Compact 3G phone with a vibrant music design
* 2 megapixel camera with Mobile blogging
* HTML Browser with RSS Reader and Smart-Fit Rendering™
* Entertaining 3D gaming
* High Resolution LCD Color Screen
* GPRS (Internet Connectivity)
* MMS (Multimedia Messaging)
* Multimedia Player (MP3 and MPEG4)
* Bluetooth (Connect Other Devices)
* Tri Band (Works In the UK, Europe and America)
* Loudspeaker
* Polyphonic Ringtones
* Camera With Flash and Zoom ( Can not find Flash feature and cannot zoom on camera only video)
* RDS FM Inbuilt Radio
* Email Facility
* Games Compatible
* Internet Browsing
* Conference Call Compatible
* Personal Organiser Facility
* USB Compatible (Connect to Most Computers)

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 11:01 AM
Give me a web browser, an email client and an SSH terminal and I'm happy.
Blimey, gimme a phone that works and I'm happy. Well, "happy" by my standards.

But I like the thought of watching TV from my STB on my phone :)

ducasi
14th-February-2007, 11:42 AM
But I like the thought of watching TV from my STB on my phone :)
Sure, that'll be handy... um... sometime I'm sure...

I figure if I *really* want to watch something on television when I'm out, I'm sure I could find a TV wherever I am, or set my video recorder/PVR to record what I want to see. I'm also much more likely to have one of those than a Slingbox...

Much more useful is the application to control your Sky+ box from your phone. I hope "Virgin Media" allow that sort of thing with their new "V+" boxes.

Oh, and I've just seen a rather nice new phone which will come with the Sky+ thing built-in apparently... The Motorola MOTORIZR Z8 (http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/motorizrz8/). Crap name, cool looking phone.

LMC
14th-February-2007, 03:25 PM
Anyway, cool phone LMC! :waycool:
Thank you :nice:

It's shiny :D - and BLACK :waycool:

Problem with PC syncing is that half of my stuff is at work and half at home, so I'm not sure I can be bovvered - I'll probably just use the PDA functions standalone [shrug].

1 GB memory (for MP3s) is a Good Thing though :D (only an extra tenner for the bigger card).

Did I say it is BLACK?

David Bailey
2nd-August-2007, 01:30 PM
OK, so the pushy saleswoman at Carphone warehouse is now urging me to upgrade (read: renew contract). I quite like the look of the new Prada LG (http://shop.carphonewarehouse.com/pay-monthly/prada/phone-by-lg/t-mobile/) phone - any comments?

Brian Doolan
3rd-August-2007, 02:24 AM
OK, so the pushy saleswoman at Carphone warehouse is now urging me to upgrade (read: renew contract). I quite like the look of the new Prada LG (http://shop.carphonewarehouse.com/pay-monthly/prada/phone-by-lg/t-mobile/) phone - any comments?

Given that the 'phone is made in South Korea by Lucky Goldstar and not Prada, I wouldn't buy it 'til after any potential undocumented features (bugs) in the software have been sorted out. I made the mistake of buying a Samsung D600 (another South Korean 'phone) too soon after its launch only to find it the worst 'phone I've owned.

Terpsichorea
3rd-August-2007, 08:23 AM
N95. It seriously has everything you could want in a phone - GPS, 5mp camera and loads of functionality. Only downside is that it's a tad pricey - I got mine through work tho.

DundeeDancer
10th-August-2007, 02:42 PM
My mobile is my number 1 gadget these days. I love it due to it having a whole organiser on there that I can sync with my home computer.

So I have all my phone numbers, address book, calendar and to do list all stuck on my phone which is really handy. And as I sync it with my PC, even if I lose my phone I won't lose all my numbers. :grin:

My previous phone Nokia 6230 had great software for doing this with.
My latest phone Sony Ericsson K750i does the job OK as well.

Therefore I would wander away from these two main brands.

I wonder what other brands are like for PC connectivity? :confused:

David Bailey
10th-August-2007, 02:53 PM
Well, I've gone for the Prada, wish me luck :)

mick s
10th-August-2007, 03:22 PM
I have one of these now (N95) well actually I am on my second as used the last one in rain and it packed up an hour later so be warned.Unfortunately I cancelled my insurance the day before.

Have you got maps to download have not been able to get mine to load up?

pmjd
10th-August-2007, 03:44 PM
Anyone got or tried the SonyEricsson k810i? Thinking of it for my next phone, and as much as I love having sat-nav on my Nokia 6680 I'm just getting a bit fed up with the general slowness and naff battery life of any of the symbian based phones. Used to have SE phones but fancied a change but now thinking of going back. Also anyone know if they sync and can plug in via USB to OS X?

ducasi
10th-August-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't know if the K810i works 'natively' with Mac OS X yet, but there are iSync plug-ins on the 'net which do the business.

Re: the Nokia N95. I downloaded an application from nokia which loaded the whole of the UK map into my phone. Worked a treat!

Lou
12th-August-2007, 03:07 PM
Re: the Nokia N95. I downloaded an application from nokia which loaded the whole of the UK map into my phone. Worked a treat!

:yeah: Although it did take me ages to get the Maps thing to work at first. It's just a case of being patient until the GPS signal finds the phone. And also I had a free subscription from T-Mobile which means I can use the navigation :D .

It's a nice phone, but Craig brought an iPhone home last week to play with.... ermmm.... I mean evaluate :wink: - and it was lovelier. I can't wait for them to be launched here. :D

ducasi
12th-August-2007, 11:04 PM
There's a free navigation program for the N95, I downloaded it a few weeks back. It seemed to work OK when I tried it, but since then it doesn't launch any more – think I might have upgraded the firmware to version 12* since then...

Anyway, it's called "amAze", and here's the linkage (http://www.amazegps.com/). Will need to see if there's a newer version...

It's not integrated as well as the native map for the N95, but you can't beat the price.

*Version 12 also brought "Assisted GPS" which means you get a faster, better GPS.

I'll get an iPhone once it does GPS and 3G. Oh, and a better resolution camera that can take movies would be nice too.

andystyle
13th-August-2007, 07:34 AM
I've had the K750i for nearly 2 years now, and I love it apart from one thing - that damn joystick! It isn't the most robust component on the phone and it does eventually go. Accordingly, as much as I like Ericsson phones I'd recommend avoiding one with a joystick. It's needed for texting, for example, and is a nightmare to choose alternative words/punctuation if it is bust.

I'm upgrading in a couple of weeks myself and will likely be picking the Ericsson P1 (http://www.yourmobilephonereviews.co.uk/sony_ericsson_p1_reviews.htm). I had a look at it in a shop over the weekend and I do like it!

David Bailey
12th-August-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, I've gone for the Prada, wish me luck :)

Almost exactly one year later, and I'm quite happy with my phone - it does all I want from it.

Anyone else got any new recommendations?

Gav
12th-August-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm not due for an upgrade until October and it'll have all changed by then, but at the mo I like the look of the Samsung Omnia (http://uk.samsungmobile.com/mobile/SGH-i900) (to replace my U600).

Lee Bartholomew
12th-August-2008, 03:49 PM
Im a big fan of the HTC devices.

Would love to get a diamond HTC – Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products – HTC Touch Diamond: Device Tour (http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=46296)

straycat
12th-August-2008, 03:54 PM
Almost exactly one year later, and I'm quite happy with my phone - it does all I want from it.

Anyone else got any new recommendations?

I now have an iPhone 3G. It is a thing of elegance and rare beauty.

David Bailey
12th-August-2008, 04:33 PM
I now have an iPhone 3G. It is a thing of elegance and rare beauty.
*cough*ripoff*cough*

Stuart M
12th-August-2008, 04:39 PM
Here at "chez Toaster", we have one major mobile phone recommendation:

do not leave the thing within grabbing distance of a 10-month old as, annoyingly, few mobiles appear to be infant-saliva-resistant :o

Particularly if it's a phone that came with the new 18-month contract and they won't replace...

Lou
12th-August-2008, 05:29 PM
*cough*ripoff*cough*
:rofl: Says the man with the Prada phone...

I still have my N95 & I still love it. :love:

straycat
12th-August-2008, 07:08 PM
*cough*ripoff*cough*

All depends what you want out of a phone. For just a phone, I agree - it's not worth it. In this case though, what I've bought is a new phone, new PDA and new iPod. All bundled up into that aforementioned dazzling package of elegance and rare beauty.

Truly, we live in a time of miracles. :wink:

Lee Bartholomew
12th-August-2008, 07:14 PM
All depends what you want out of a phone. For just a phone, I agree - it's not worth it. In this case though, what I've bought is a new phone, new PDA and new iPod. All bundled up into that aforementioned dazzling package of elegance and rare beauty.

Truly, we live in a time of miracles. :wink:

Youv'e not seen the diamond then. The diamond will do everything your iphone does plus loads more (and it looks less like a polished brick). :na:

David Bailey
12th-August-2008, 09:15 PM
:rofl: Says the man with the Prada phone...
Free Prada phone, I'll have you know.

Well, OK, "free" if you have an 18-month contract...

straycat
12th-August-2008, 09:35 PM
Youv'e not seen the diamond then. The diamond will do everything your iphone does plus loads more :na:
...at about 2 1/2 times the cost... (although I admit I'm not clear on what these extra features are, video capture excepted)

(and it looks less like a polished brick).
And more like crazy paving.

Anyway - not much good is going to come from the standad Apple-phile vs Apple-phobe debate, so I'm not going to engage further. Suffice to say that having been an iPhone semi-sceptic for a long while now, I'm completely won over by it, and absolutely over the moon with its elegance and rare beauty. :D

JiveLad
14th-August-2008, 11:18 AM
http://strips.bitstrips.com/6193ef565908fd0bfc76d0735e890d2f.png

And...........

emmylou25
14th-August-2008, 11:36 AM
I have a Samsung D600...love it...apart from the fact that the battery life is RUBBISH! It will have full battery showing for absolutely ages but make one phone call and it seems to die on me pretty quickly? Anyone know what the battery life is like on the D900??? I'm coming up for a swap soon :D

xXx:flower:

Total agree with you on Samsung batteries. Have one at the mo and can't wait to get upgrade my phone as my battery didn't even last the 12 months (still have 6months on contract to go). After only a few months, it would say there was full battery left, but the next morning I'd wake to find it had died. And I don't even use my phone that much.

I'll be changing back to a Nokia as soon as poss. (apart from the good camera on Sony Eriksson's I've not been that impressed with my work Sony...not the best model though).

straycat
14th-August-2008, 12:05 PM
[snip]

And...........

Isn't this pretty much what all phone manufacturers do? (albeit some more successfully than others) :confused: