PDA

View Full Version : utopia your views

dave the scaffolder
10th-February-2007, 03:49 AM
Is it me? I was very dissapointed by Utopia. Does anyone else have views on this venue? Good or bad. Lets hear what you all have to say xxx xxx

WittyBird
10th-February-2007, 04:15 AM
I love Utopia. Music is fab, great dancers and also quite a social night. It was missing a few people that I'd like to have seen and a few I wouldn't but apart from that I had a great night.

I think the effort put in by VD&V is outstanding and it certainly is catching :whistle:

I think it's the sort of place you can only go if you have a real love for good music.
I'd rather have that than your standard boom boom tampax nights :D

Carry on Guys you're doing a great job.

Miguel
10th-February-2007, 09:34 AM
Is it me? I was very dissapointed by Utopia. Does anyone else have views on this venue? Good or bad. Lets hear what you all have to say xxx xxx

What didn't you like? How would you improve things?

Rhythm King
10th-February-2007, 10:04 AM
It was my first visit.

I thought it was fab. The music was great, the floor was good, the numbers were just right and the balance meant there was no problem with either getting partners to dance with, or having some chill time, without getting pounced on. Even getting served at the bar was without drama.

My only problem was my back is still bad and I couldn't dance as much as I wanted to. I thus missed out on some of the fantastic dancers there - some of whom I hadn't seen for ages. I also had to leave before the end.

And to top it all off, Sparkles brought chocolate cake :drool: :clap:

Definitely want to go again, I'm just not sure if I'm here for the next one yet.

FoxyFunkster
10th-February-2007, 10:10 AM
I love Utopia. Music is fab, great dancers and also quite a social night. It was missing a few people that I'd like to have seen and a few I wouldn't but apart from that I had a great night.

I think the effort put in by VD&V is outstanding and it certainly is catching :whistle:

I think it's the sort of place you can only go if you have a real love for good music.
I'd rather have that than your standard boom boom tampax nights :D

Carry on Guys you're doing a great job.

Val, Rocky and the Silvafox have definately got a good thing goin on here, Great music which is challenging to dance to and it makes a real change to be able to actually catch up and talk with people face to face rather than at at the occasional weekender or via the forum....only top end dances are to be had but i guess you can`t please everyone....

Lory
10th-February-2007, 11:12 AM
Well, last night, despite still feeling like :sick: looking like :sick: plus having no sense of balance :rolleyes: and dancing like a complete pleb :blush: funnily enough, I still enjoyed it.:cheers:

It really is 'my' kind of night and believe me, I wouldn't have made the effort for many things last night.:yeah:

In actual fact, I can't think of anything I don't really like about it. The music is exactly to my taste, the lighting's nice, its gender balanced and attracts some lovely dancers, its not too big but there's space to have a good dance and its got a great atmosphere for sitting out and chatting too. (which I needed to do rather more than usual, last night :sad: )

I can see it wouldn't suit everyone but then again, they never promised it would :wink:

(just a side note, there seemed to be a lot of people who said they were suffering from post weekenditus and weren't dancing their best as well)

Double Trouble
10th-February-2007, 11:27 AM
It was my first Utopia and I had a great time.

I thought the venue was horrible, but I had some amazing dances and met some new people and more forumites.

I liked the music but was expecting a bit more or a funky soulful vibe...still much better than your average ceroc night though.

Well done to the organisers....I dont think you will have any problems selling out of tickets at future events. I will be booking for the next one.

Gav
10th-February-2007, 12:01 PM
I had the post Southport lurgy and wasn't really feeling up to it, so I hardly danced at all. However, I did enjoy listening to the music and watching the great dancers.
The venue wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I'm sure if I'd been feeling better and dancing more, I probably wouldn't have noticed.
Keep up the good work Val, Rocky and Silverfox. I'll be back without germs next time.

Trouble
10th-February-2007, 01:10 PM

My views on the evening are as follows;

Venue >>. Floor not particularly good and hall quite small. Fans helpful but blow your head off if your dancing near them which closes off another area of the hall.

Music >> Overall the music was ok. I found the music too slow and actually made me feel tired. I felt there could have been a little more upbeat tempos mixed in to bring you round after having a nice slow dance.

Dancers >> The gender balance was perfect. There were always men to dance with and every dance i had was lovely.

Forumites >> As usual, lovely people, am now getting to recognise them without their T shirts on. Me and Silverfox made an advancement yesterday. He normally blanks me, i actually received a nod and a comment of Hello how are you.... amazing. !!

General comments >> They were taking down the hallway red netting whilst people were going in and out of the toilets. This looked really bad and should have waitied until we had finished. On top of that one of the wires holding them up nearly decapitated me when he let it go.

Coffee or Tea were not availalbe. I really missed that.

Free cloakroom - great stuff.

Lighting in hall - very nice, gave it a good feel.

Overall - not as good as i expected it to be but worth a visit. Too much of the same for my tastes.

Minnie M
10th-February-2007, 01:16 PM
........I thought the venue was horrible.....
Why :confused: what was wrong :confused:

Personally I love the WP because it is so different from the conventional Modern Jive hall, the 'split' halls usually attracts different dancers/personalities, even last night I noticed the difference in styles from one room to the other - which IMO adds to the atmospher. Plus the fact there is an adjoining pub & restraurant and a Premior Lodge as well

The hall is not actually that small, it is because it is not oblong or square that makes it diseptive - you would be surprised if you compared it to your local venue. On a good Rock 'n' Roll night there is usually about 250 dancers which compares with MJ events that 'pack then in'

dave the scaffolder
10th-February-2007, 01:18 PM
I have a couple of ideas of my own but i will not post them because the usual back biting and snide comments appear. It would be nice to actually discuss something without the usual nastiness applied to the poster. We can have differing views without the sniping by faceless forumites without the moral fibre to show their faces when bitching. xxx xxx

Double Trouble
10th-February-2007, 01:21 PM
Why :confused: what was wrong :confused:

Maybe horrible is too strong a word, so I will take that back.

I think my expectaions were too high. The room reminded me off a cross between a working mens club and a butlins hall.

Given the nature of the evening, I was expecting a more modern, upmarket venue.

BTW....the venue was the only downside for me. Everything else was spot on.:flower:

fletch
10th-February-2007, 01:32 PM
Well I left my house at 3.30 pm and arrived 8.45pm it was THE most awful journey to London so far.:tears: but the memory of the journey disappeared when I entered to venue, to be met by MinnieM and Limpy tink smiling making us feel welcome.

The music IMO was awesome. I liked Foxy's set a bit more I think due to @
'stuff' I could sing to, Rocky's set seemed a bit More instrumental, but what do I know, I had to chat about other things instead of singing, not a bad thing.:na:

Lovely to see Friends that I hand seen for a while CentrAlex, DD+:flower:

I had the most fab time and it was well worth the journey, I couldn't get of the dance floor and at one point I had 3 men asking at the same time:clap:

Free water and men to fetch it what more can a girl ask for, (a phone number maybe):wink:

David Bailey
10th-February-2007, 02:49 PM
I have a couple of ideas of my own but i will not post them because the usual back biting and snide comments appear. It would be nice to actually discuss something without the usual nastiness applied to the poster. We can have differing views without the sniping by faceless forumites without the moral fibre to show their faces when bitching. xxx xxx
I didn't have a good night.

My dancing was abysmal, like a one-legged dead donkey - I offer a group apology for anyone who had the misfortune of dancing with me last night. Also, I just couldn't get into the music, there too few "must-dance" tracks for me. But that's just me. It's a shame, because last month was great for me, I really enjoyed it.

Objectively, I felt that there was less mingling with random strangers than at a normal MJ night, so it could appear much less friendly than normal. I think the room layout is definitely iffy - too many tables in the corner piled 3-deep, and no clear "waiting for a dance" areas, which probably didn't help that factor.

( There we go, DTS, I've shown my face whilst bitching :) )

dave the scaffolder
10th-February-2007, 02:59 PM
( There we go, DTS, I've shown my face whilst bitching :) )

Excellent some differing views put across in an impersonal way that may lead to some constructive improvments, without bitching and snide remarks from faceless forumites with head and and ar*e sindrome. Does every differing view have to slide down into personal bitching?:respect: :love:

Double Trouble
10th-February-2007, 03:05 PM
My dancing was abysmal

Oh the Irony........of the many dances (ok 4 dances) that we have had, I thought the 2 we had last night were the best.:flower:

Tessalicious
10th-February-2007, 03:22 PM
I loved it. Last night was one of the best nights out dancing I've had for months.

On the subject of the venue, I have a theory on why it works for me, for blues.

If a blues room is too big, it loses atmosphere and intimacy, but if it is too small, it gets too crowded. That venue has the best of both worlds, by being large enough to fit everyone but being bisected with the columns in the middle which allows the people in the 'middle' of the room to feel like they are still dancing on the edge rather than surrounded with people.

Dunno if that's true, but if it is, it might be part of the reason why the blues room at Southport works better than the room at Camber Sands, for example.

Frankie_4711
10th-February-2007, 03:58 PM
Well I had a brilliant night.:clap:

It was great that a lot of the comments after last time were taken on board and things changed for the better - not that the first one was bad, but this one was just sooo much better. The music was the biggest and best change for me - I just LOVED it.

A huge WELL DONE to the Triffic Trio!:respect: The only reason I won't be there next time is if I don't survive Storm!

Lory
10th-February-2007, 04:26 PM
being bisected with the columns in the middle which allows the people in the 'middle' of the room to feel like they are still dancing on the edge rather than surrounded with people.

OOOh I think you may have a point there :yeah: ...As I'm definitely an 'edge' dancer normally, I just feel more comfortable not being hemmed in at all sides :) but last night I found myself dancing in the right in the middle quite a lot..and kev and I had a ball playing silly buggers, hiding and dancing round the pillars :rofl:

Dizzy
10th-February-2007, 04:28 PM
I had a great night dancing - everything was right - the music, Sparkle's cake, the dancers, the atmosphere, the floor........ I just don't think I was right!! :blush:

Apart from my funny mood swings, it was definitely Utopia of the dance world last night - Well done Val, Dave and Vince :clap: :clap: :flower: :love:

Lory
10th-February-2007, 04:33 PM
Music >> Overall the music was ok. I found the music too slow and actually made me feel tired. I felt there could have been a little more upbeat tempos mixed in to bring you round after having a nice slow dance.

Yes but, I come there specifically to get away from the 'normal' night, where everyone's tastes have to catered for in 'small' doses, which usually ends in everyone having 'something' they don't like..

I believed the whole idea of Utopia, was to play music that's generally slower and has been advertised as such.. if they start getting faster and faster, they might as well just be another Ceroc night.

TheTramp
10th-February-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes but, I come there specifically to get away from the 'normal' night, where everyone's tastes have to catered for in 'small' doses, which usually ends in everyone having 'something' they don't like..

I believed the whole idea of Utopia, was to play music that's generally slower and has been advertised as such.. if they start getting faster and faster, they might as well just be another Ceroc night.

:yeah:

If you want more upbeat tempo's, then don't go to Utopia.

I've not made it along yet, but wish I could. I don't want upbeat music. I want what it sounds like they play there. I'm sure that I won't like every track, but I'm sure that I'll like more than I usually do :)

angelblue
10th-February-2007, 04:52 PM

I agree Lory, Val&DAve have created a great bluesy, chillout feel with some challenging music which only aids improvement in everybodys dancing. :clap: I think they said they would do 2 faster songs an hour or something like that.

Hey but each to their own, pesonally i prefer the slower tracks but it is great that ceroc have finally jumped out the box of fast, ramping it up style music they are famous for.

Alice
10th-February-2007, 04:57 PM
I had a great night. Caught up with loads of people I haven't seen in ages, and had some lovely dances :awe: I really enjoyed the music too.
Plus I met some amazing dancers I hadn't come across before:drool: :drool:

Thought the free cloakroom was a great idea, hope it's here to stay:flower:

Had a couple of dances with people who repeatedly attempted to lead closer moves than I would have liked- bit of sensitivity would have been nice. It was the end of the night and I was tired and I didn't know them- nothing sleazy but just a note to the guys- if you lead a close (ish) move and she doesn't respond or gets out of it quickly, just take the hint and don't keep doing it! :flower: Still enjoyed the dances though...

To whoever cancelled, thus freeing up a ticket for me to go, :respect: :wink:

Yogi_Bear
10th-February-2007, 05:09 PM
OOOh I think you may have a point there :yeah: ...As I'm definitely an 'edge' dancer normally, I just feel more comfortable not being hemmed in at all sides :) but last night I found myself dancing in the right in the middle quite a lot..and kev and I had a ball playing silly buggers, hiding and dancing round the pillars :rofl:

I wasn't there but can compare Southport and Camber and likewise I'm definitely and edge dancer, so much so that if someone tries to take me into the middle where all the bodies ard flying about at all angles and speeds I will do my best to avoid it. I feel much safter for my partner and myself on an edge and it gives us a sort of slot to dance in, which is generally what I prefer. I do like the railings at Southport, as they can give opportunities for dancing with added props......
:waycool:

David Bailey
10th-February-2007, 06:17 PM
Actually, I thought the tempo last night was faster than last month - in fact, I could have done with more slow stuff...

SuzyQ
10th-February-2007, 07:46 PM
I loved it ... thought team Utopia did a great job :)

Deliberately kept my expectations under control so that the evening could exceed them ... and it did by loads! I'm not very good at analysing why an evening was good but I thought the floor/gender balancing/music etc was v good. Particularly liked the 'funk' music - right up my street.

Had some blindingly good dances ... so thanks fellas!

Think Dave the Scaffolder should feel totally at ease to say what he thought of the night - I've had the forum bashing before and it is quite unpleasant.

Dave - hope you have a great night next time you go dancing :)

SuzyQ

dave the scaffolder
10th-February-2007, 08:13 PM
I loved it ... thought team Utopia did a great job :)

Think Dave the Scaffolder should feel totally at ease to say what he thought of the night - I've had the forum bashing before and it is quite unpleasant.

Dave - hope you have a great night next time you go dancing :)

SuzyQ
Cheers Suzy all i actually said was, i was dissapointed, i didnt give any reasons. The thing that really makes me mad is non profiled and no photos forumites bitching about everything at every opportunity. We can all disagree without sliding into double meanings on the forum. I really think Franck should not allow anybody to post without a full profile and a photo. That would put a stop to the annonamous bitching.There have been a lot of good and not so good points raised by my post on this venue and the way i see it the information the organizers have gathered from it, they can implement to make it better. End of moan Love you all xxx xxx :respect: :love:

frodo
10th-February-2007, 08:20 PM
It seems quite restrictive to expect to like everything at a night. At a themed night the particular theme is usually catered for in large doses, so if I like the theme I would expect to like the large majority of the music.

I believed the whole idea of Utopia, was to play music that's generally slower and has been advertised as such..
Exactly. A few fast songs such as the two an hour originally advertised doesn't change the theme to a normal Ceroc night, and does cater for those who like slow songs but prefer a small amount of variety on themed nights.

If I go to a salsa night the inclusion of the odd cha track doesn't change the nature of the night.

if they start getting faster and faster, they might as well just be another Ceroc night.True if they generally start getting faster and faster. I'm not clear that anyone was proposing this though.

Lory
10th-February-2007, 09:01 PM
It seems quite restrictive to expect to like everything at a night. At a themed night the particular theme is usually catered for in large doses, so if I like the theme I would expect to like the large majority of the music.

I'm sorry but I'm not clear if your agreeing with me or not?:blush:

And I'm also not sure I understand what you mean by restrictive in this circumstance ... restrictive for who? Me, the organisers or the other punters?

I didn't find it restrictive, as I got what I was promised, so I'm not complaining, as I loved 'all' the music (just to clarify, i enjoyed the choice of fast funky ones too, particularly 'Sexyback' )

The organisers, played the sort of music they'd pre planned and advertised, so, it was a self administered restriction on their part.

As for the other punters, yes, they were restricted, to listening to the sort of music that was advertised, so I can't see the problem..

To use your Salsa analogy, one wouldn't go to a Salsa night and complain there was too much Salsa for ones taste, would they! :flower:

robd
10th-February-2007, 09:15 PM
I really think Franck should not allow anybody to post without a full profile and a photo.

Not sure if I agree with you here or not Dave but I do like the profile photo you have chosen to use :grin:

Double Trouble
10th-February-2007, 09:18 PM
Not sure if I agree with you here or not Dave but I do like the profile photo you have chosen to use :grin:

Isnt that weird, Rob....DTS has a body almost exactly the same as yours...!

Much be like looking in the mirror for you.:D

robd
10th-February-2007, 09:26 PM
Isnt that weird, Rob....DTS has a body almost exactly the same as yours...!

I wonder what your sister would have to say about that?

Trouble
10th-February-2007, 09:48 PM
I wonder what your sister would have to say about that?

I would have to say...I have never seen your body !!! but im sure its as cute as you looked yesterday in your white and blue stripe shirt. :flower: And FYI you can PM me a pic if you would like me to give a true opinion. Shirt off of course. :D

David Bailey
10th-February-2007, 09:58 PM
To use your Salsa analogy, one wouldn't go to a Salsa night and complain there was too much Salsa for ones taste, would they! :flower:
I might :devil:

Trouble
10th-February-2007, 11:05 PM

no they would not but there are many different types of Salsa music as there are blues. If a club was playing R & B Salsa music all night, the Salsa goes would complain because it is an acquired taste to the more original salsa music (not sure what its called).

I found with utopia, the blues music was or appeared to be extremely slow. I am not a great experienced blues dancer but i found it too slow for me, where as the blues room in Southport was a mixture of upbeat blues and slow blues. Do i make sense or not.!! :D

Lory
10th-February-2007, 11:15 PM
i found it too slow for me, where as the blues room in Southport was a mixture of upbeat blues and slow blues. Do i make sense or not.!! :D

Yes, I do understand what your saying :flower:

But, to quote from the Utopia website .......

As regards music speed: The evening will have a general mix of tunes ranging from around 90-120 BPM. This will then slow to an average speed from 80-100 BPM in the last 45 mins of the evening.
And that's what they delivered ;)

Trouble
10th-February-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes, I do understand what your saying :flower:

But, to quote from the Utopia website .......

And that's what they delivered ;)

yes they did and its just not my taste at all.

too much slow for me.!! :love: but then again, im not a practiced blues dancer. The dances i had though were great but i do like a bit of being chucked around in between the slow moves. :yum: :D

Rocky
11th-February-2007, 12:53 AM
General comments >> They were taking down the hallway red netting whilst people were going in and out of the toilets. This looked really bad and should have waitied until we had finished. On top of that one of the wires holding them up nearly decapitated me when he let it go..

Thanks to everyone again for supporting UTOPIA - lets face it the 'Chill out' crowd are probably the most discerning and critical on the circuit, so the fact that we are meeting most peoples expectations is the key factor for us. Most of your points have been covered by other return posts but I do want to cover the taking down of the fabric and the music a little.

This is just pure logistics. It takes us over 2 hours to set the venue up with lighting, fabric, candles, coloured bulbs, sound, projector etc. etc. and around an hour to take it all down again. We are only allowed to hire the venue until 1.45am and most of our dancers like to socialise at the end of the evening - which normally means the last paying customer leaves at 1.30am ish. So here are the choices...
Either we cut 30 mins off the freestyle time OR we herd everyone out the door at 1am sharp OR we simply take down the entrance area kit once everyone is in and the doors are closed. I'm sorry if you felt 'it looked really bad' - but it is, given the choices, the only realistic option.

Overall - not as good as i expected it to be but worth a visit. Too much of the same for my tastes.

As regards music I can't really accept that the music is 'samey'. We play a mix of Blues, Latin, Nu-Tango, R&B, Soul, Funk and Jazz and play a range of beats from 80-120 BPM. Not one song has the same BPM. Amongst some of the songs played last night was Sexyback, Perfidia, Making Whoopee, Slow Hand, Rio De Janeiro Blue, and Superstition. Whilst most of these are slower than the average Ceroc song you would be very hard pushed to say that they were the 'same'. The BPM's are very different as well as the attitude and the style of each song - and of course we never play more than 2-3 songs of any one genre.

What I can accept, however, is that it's not to your taste. That's fine, and as has been said before we don't expect to push everyone's buttons. Thank you also for you positive comments, we do work hard at trying to make UTOPIA a special night and glad you enjoyed some aspects of your experience.

Chef
11th-February-2007, 02:13 AM
For me, Utopia does just what it says on the tin (or in this case, website) and that is just how I like things. Organiser that are upfront give me the opportunity for me to make an informed decision about wether I want to go.

The mix of music means that ability in a wide range of styles of dance, from blues, west coast swing, Tango and latin is helpful in order to enjoy Utopia to its full. In some of these dance styles I can feel comfortable, some competant, but in most I am finding my way. Before Utopia and the rapid rise of teh number of availabe weekenders the only place to get exposure to this music and the styles of dancing that goes with it was at the swing and blues rooms of the three weekenders a year that I could go to. Opportunities to develop were rare.

Funkylush came along, if you lived in driving distance. Now there is Utopia as well. Both events are starting too spread out from their geographical origins to reach a wider audience.

If I have any criticsm of Utopia it is that has been a long time coming but it has arrived not a moment too soon.

All I have to work out is how to arrive at a Friday night dance and not feel dead on my feet by 11:30 thereby giving embarassingly bad dances to partners once my brain fade has set in.

frodo
11th-February-2007, 03:39 AM
I'm sorry but I'm not clear if your agreeing with me or not?
Not sure. That it is intentionally a different night; people like it for that reason and changing it misses the point I completely agree with.

The reason I commented was I thought your reply implied that all the music had to be in keeping with the theme, not just the a large majority.

And I'm also not sure I understand what you mean by restrictive in this circumstance ... restrictive for who? Me, the organisers or the other punters?
I guess restrictive for you to expect as I would have thought it would be very difficult for any organiser Ceroc or Utopian to measure up.

...Blues, Latin, Nu-Tango, R&B, Soul, Funk and Jazz...While much smaller than Ceroc the Utopian niche still isn't that narrow. I might like Blues, Soul and Nu-Tango but hate Latin for example.

I didn't find it restrictive, as I got what I was promised, so I'm not complaining, as I loved 'all' the music (just to clarify, i enjoyed the choice of fast funky ones too, particularly 'Sexyback' )Maybe I'm just excessively picky. It must be wonderful to like all the music at a night :worthy: :flower:

Granted it would be difficult, and impossible to say there was far too much Salsa. But I could complain about the lack of the odd cha track. From Rocky's track list I would have got my cha at Utopia though.

OXO'S
11th-February-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks to everyone again for supporting UTOPIA - lets face it the 'Chill out' crowd are probably the most discerning and critical on the circuit, so the fact that we are meeting most peoples expectations is the key factor for us. Most of your points have been covered by other return posts but I do want to cover the taking down of the fabric and the music a little.

This is just pure logistics. It takes us over 2 hours to set the venue up with lighting, fabric, candles, coloured bulbs, sound, projector etc. etc. and around an hour to take it all down again. We are only allowed to hire the venue until 1.45am and most of our dancers like to socialise at the end of the evening - which normally means the last paying customer leaves at 1.30am ish. So here are the choices...
Either we cut 30 mins off the freestyle time OR we herd everyone out the door at 1am sharp OR we simply take down the entrance area kit once everyone is in and the doors are closed. I'm sorry if you felt 'it looked really bad' - but it is, given the choices, the only realistic option.

As regards music I can't really accept that the music is 'samey'. We play a mix of Blues, Latin, Nu-Tango, R&B, Soul, Funk and Jazz and play a range of beats from 80-120 BPM. Not one song has the same BPM. Amongst some of the songs played last night was Sexyback, Perfidia, Making Whoopee, Slow Hand, Rio De Janeiro Blue, and Superstition. Whilst most of these are slower than the average Ceroc song you would be very hard pushed to say that they were the 'same'. The BPM's are very different as well as the attitude and the style of each song - and of course we never play more than 2-3 songs of any one genre.

What I can accept, however, is that it's not to your taste. That's fine, and as has been said before we don't expect to push everyone's buttons. Thank you also for you positive comments, we do work hard at trying to make UTOPIA a special night and glad you enjoyed some aspects of your experience.

Dave val,vin.and to all the rest of the utopia team an absolute brilliant night from start to finish. Once again the organisation into this music venture is second to none from the time you walk through the door with a lovely welcome.
The music excellant again :respect: :respect: ROCKY SILVERFOX.and the very last track great one you had to work at.
The atmosphere is superb together with the social side to talk to people and get to know.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks OXOS

Eleanor
11th-February-2007, 02:22 PM
It was my first Utopia and I'm still very new to blues rooms and west coast, but I had a totally awesome time. :clap:

Music - big high point for me. It's so nice to hear some new tunes to dance to. I especially loved Silverfoxes's set with some really smooth numbers. PLEASE can you post the play list as I'd love to download some of those tracks.

Venue - Difficult to get to if you don't have a car so I had to hire one for the night to get there! (Err, but then I'm now buying a car for the single purpose of getting to dance venues... I guess I know that my addiction has got a little more expensive than a large selection of dance dresses!).

But apart from that, the venue was excellent and the organisers had made a great effort with lighting etc., to get the right ambience. There was lots of room to dance in and I suspect the organisers could increase the numbers without it feeling at all cramped. Agree the free cloakroom was a nice touch.

Dances - I had some amazing dances including some with people I had never danced with before. Thanks to everyone who patiently are helping me learn West Coast.

It felt like being at a weekender whilst being at home. Can't wait until the next one.

Thank you to the organisers for putting on a great night. :respect:

Trouble
11th-February-2007, 02:40 PM

Thank you for taking the time to answer my little issues.

With regards your answers, i absolutely understand and agree with them.

Overall the night was as most nights, great, but i am not used to a night so slow and laid back. This is my first blues night and not as i expected. I did not know what i was expecting but this was not it.

My dancing to blues needs practice and the only way to achieve this is to have more dances and I will of course be back to try some that. Overall as we can all see, the night was a success and much enjoyed by all including me.:flower: My tastes however, are going to need to adapt.

robd
11th-February-2007, 05:15 PM
I had a fantastic night of dancing at Utopia. I liked the opening of the doors by the bar onto the dancefloor as it stopped a little of the crowding by the tables from the previous event. The music, for me, was absolutely spot on. I don't recall a single track I didn't enjoy all evening and the overall tempo range seemed perfect for the way I like to dance.

If I had to put a finger on the main difference between my perception of this Utopia and the last one (which I enjoyed but more on a social than a dancing level) it was that I felt bang on form with my own dancing - hitting breaks, playing with the tunes, trying different things and it working more often than not. When that happens you can't fail to have a great night. I was helped greatly by some fab partners, some of whom I knew previously and some who were new to me. I even managed to get a dance with Tas which has been on my wishlist for a while now :clap:

When they announce the last 2 tracks and you're thinking 'where the hell did the time go??' then you know it's been a good one.

Well done Utopia team.

HelenB
11th-February-2007, 06:07 PM
I wasn't sure what sort of an evening I would have as I came straight from Heathrow airport, having only landed at 8.30pm.

However, I had an excellent time - even better than last time - with some :drool: dances. It was lovely to dance with those I knew and those I didn't (including some new to me forumites :cheers: and those who were new to blues but still giving it a go)

The absence of the 2 fast tracks per hour played at the last event was a bonus for me and the music all evening was spot on :respect: I had some great slow blues dances where I was lost in the moment :awe: . I think the lack of sleep having been away at a work conference all week added to my blues experience - it was just like a weekender

Utopia is an event I will continue to attend, and make to effort to travel to, for as long as I remember to reserve a place quick enough. Me thinks this might get harder and harder to acheive

Rocky
11th-February-2007, 06:33 PM
Utopia is an event I will continue to attend, and make to effort to travel to, for as long as I remember to reserve a place quick enough. Me thinks this might get harder and harder to acheive

That's great to hear.

As regards bookings: We are increasing numbers a little for the next event but we are unfortunately limited by the venue's capacity.

As a guide, ladie's places normally get booked up within 3 days of the Monday following the Friday dance night (the Monday is when we start to accept mainstream bookings). Guy's are normally gone by the end of the week.

We do however run a waiting list and actually everyone that was on it was offered a place this time around. Of course these only become available in the week prior to the night so invariably some people will have made plans in the interim.

If demand continues to be high we may look for an alternative larger venue or maybe look to run a much larger UTOPIA event on a quarterly or six monthly basis.

There then is of course the new regular UTOPIA nights at Evesham which run on different dates to the main Twickenham event - see the website for details along with details for workshops and the new UTOPIA urban weekender in July (27 spaces booked already).

sapphire
11th-February-2007, 07:29 PM
There then is of course the new regular UTOPIA nights at Evesham which run on different dates to the main Twickenham event - see the website for details along with details for workshops and the new UTOPIA urban weekender in July (27 spaces booked already).

Maybe it is my incompetence, but I cannot seem to view any details regarding the dates and time for the Evesham events or the weekender on the website. However, another thread with a poll about who is going where this weekend suggests that there is a UTOPIA event on at Evesham this Friday. Can someone give me details and do I need to book? Am also interested in the weekender.

Tiggerbabe
11th-February-2007, 07:48 PM
It's all there on the website :) visit utopia website (http://www.utopiadance.co.uk/) and then click on Utopia events on the main menu bar, this then gives you a choice of links for Twickenham, Evesham or the Weekender. (IIRC you don't need to book for the Evesham freestyle but are advised to get there early.)

There is also another link on the main menu bar for workshops.

fletch
11th-February-2007, 08:25 PM
Maybe it is my incompetence, but I cannot seem to view any details regarding the dates and time for the Evesham events or the weekender on the website. However, another thread with a poll about who is going where this weekend suggests that there is a UTOPIA event on at Evesham this Friday. Can someone give me details and do I need to book? Am also interested in the weekender.

Hi babes :flower:

Its on this Friday OXO'S is DJing along with Marc Forster:worthy:

Marc and Rachelle are doing the class :clap:

You don't need to book it would be lovely to see you there bring the lovely Andy with you :drool:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

sapphire
11th-February-2007, 09:26 PM
It's all there on the website :) visit utopia website (http://www.utopiadance.co.uk/) and then click on Utopia events on the main menu bar, this then gives you a choice of links for Twickenham, Evesham or the Weekender. (IIRC you don't need to book for the Evesham freestyle but are advised to get there early.)

Thanks for that. I have now managed to access the info by switching to opening the website with mozilla firefox. I had been trying to get the info using Microsoft Internet explorer and when I clicked on dates, times etc. for Evesham, I just got a blank page.

OXO'S
11th-February-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi babes :flower:

Its on this Friday OXO'S is DJing along with Marc Forster:worthy:

Marc and Rachelle are doing the class :clap:

You don't need to book it would be lovely to see you there bring the lovely Andy with you :drool:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Yes guys, get yourselves down UTOPIA EVESHAM this friday,there is going to be class by the fab MARC & RACHAEL, and myself and marc will be on the decks.
It will be great to see you there:grin: :grin: :grin:

FirstMove
11th-February-2007, 10:12 PM
I had been trying to get the info using Microsoft Internet explorer and when I clicked on dates, times etc. for Evesham, I just got a blank page.

I can't see it in IE5 - because it's written in black letters on a black background! :rolleyes: [ ... a black light comes on on the black control panel to tell you that you are about to fly into a black hole ... ]

If you really want to see it, try dragging the mouse over it to select the invisible text.

WittyBird
12th-February-2007, 01:01 AM
I can't see it in IE5

I can't see it either when I shut my eyes. Try opening eyes and focusing. Works a treat. :D

Sheepman
12th-February-2007, 03:32 AM
Sparkles brought chocolate cake
:what:

Free water
:really:

everything was right - the music, Sparkle's cake,
:really: :what:

It seems there were a few things I missed out on. :tears:

When they announce the last 2 tracks and you're thinking 'where the hell did the time go??' then you know it's been a good one.

Well done Utopia team.:yeah:

I had a great night, plenty of fab dances. Maybe not quite up to the level of the first one, but I think that was down to me and post weekenderitis.

I would agree that there is a fair amount of congestion around the tables, it can be tough to track down that someone you were after dancing with, but I really don't see a way around this, apart from a bigger venue.

VD & V keep up the good work!

Greg

David Bailey
12th-February-2007, 12:09 PM
I would agree that there is a fair amount of congestion around the tables, it can be tough to track down that someone you were after dancing with, but I really don't see a way around this, apart from a bigger venue.
The problem is, that this layout doesn't encourage mingling - so you either sit at one of the seats in the side room, or try to grab a table, then fight your way back in and out.

Which is great if you're arriving with a group and less so if you're arriving by yourself, like myself. I found it very difficult to ask unknown people to dance - they were frequently either engaged in conversation or they clearly were there to dance with their favourites only. There was no "walk around to find someone to dance with" mechanism I could see - for all its faults, Ashtons is very good for that sort of thing.

But I agree, I don't think there's much to be done with the layout, it's difficult to see what can be improved in that way. I suspect the slightly-higher numbers last Friday made it more congested.

So I'd say that Utopia / Twickenham is more "group-friendly" than "individual-friendly"...

Cruella
12th-February-2007, 05:21 PM
Fans helpful but blow your head off if your dancing near them

one of the wires holding them up nearly decapitated me when he let it go.

Do you think someone was trying to tell you something! :whistle:

Paul F
12th-February-2007, 06:10 PM
Unusually for me it has taken me a while to get round to writing a review for Utopia. So here it is.

Possibly predictably.....I love it. The music is just what I am looking for and truly believe it can satisfy the niche requirement of slow, interpretive tunes.

Unfortunately the 2 times I have been were on the back of 2 awful days. The first time I had been up early working on the Friday and this time just gone I was just kicking the nasty flu bug that is going round. Its fair to say that I didnt dance particularly much either night - but not through choice!.
Nevertheless though I found it to be a slickly organised night so my thanks to Val, Dave and Vince.

Good Points
*Boo'tiful music (bit of a Bernard Mathews impression for you :D )
*Ideal level of lighting - not too dark, not too bright
*Efficient entrance procedure (many thanks to Linda)
*Decent floor
*Just a nice size - I am a great fan of 'intimate' venues when it comes to slow music. Too big a venue and you lose the atmosphere. This is the perfect size.
*The laptop thing. I was unsure but I like it.

Other points (I will always try and suggest realistically possible changes)
*The table layout is a little troublesome. If you sit near the back wall it is so difficult to pick up on the 'passing trade' and, indeed, for the passing trade to pick you up :grin: Maybe lose a few tables?

Thats pretty much it. I think its a great event that should go from strength to strength. I know how much work goes into operating a night so my thanks again to the team.

Gentabout
12th-February-2007, 06:12 PM
Well i had a wonderful time, even better than the first, i think this was down to feeling a little more alive than i did the time before.

I thought having the doors open between the floor and the bar was a much better than before, and gave any easy way on to the floor and somewhere to stand and watch.

The music was much more enjoyable and i don't remember a single track that i did not want to dance too. And the last track was a lot of fun.

Dancers, i did not have a bad dance all night (although the ladies may have done with me). There are a few that really did stick in my mind though,

Fletch, was nervous about asking you to dance and was nie on terrified when you asked me to dance but i am really glad you did, will make sure i ask in the future.

Double Trouble, :devil: :devil: :devil: you naughty naughty girl. You are on my list. to hide from :wink:

Dizzy, superb once again, just a shame i could not remember much beyond a sway and a basic.

Frankie, :love: :drool: :love: :drool: :awe: as always.

Can not remember any other names but they were all great. Next time i promise to ask more ladies to dance, i just convince my self that i am going to make a fool of myself and lose the confidence to ask. So next time, Cruella, Witty, Suzy Q and Trouble i will ask you all to dance, and if i don't drag me to the floor please.

Gent.

ElaineB
12th-February-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes guys, get yourselves down UTOPIA EVESHAM this friday,there is going to be class by the fab MARC & RACHAEL, and myself and marc will be on the decks.
It will be great to see you there:grin: :grin: :grin:

Simon and I will be turning up again - looking forward to another great set!

Elaine
:hug:

Cruella
12th-February-2007, 08:00 PM
So next time, Cruella, Witty, Suzy Q and Trouble i will ask you all to dance, and if i don't drag me to the floor please.

How would you prefer that, Hipthrow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throw_%28grappling%29#Hip_throws) or Hammerlock? (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hammerlock&redirect=no)

Adam Plymouth
13th-February-2007, 09:34 AM
:D My first Utopia and what and introduction. Was still recovering from Southport (Southportitis) but felt like I was back there in the blues room. Whilst slightly intimidated by the high standard of dancing but once I got into it I lost myself. Thanks to all those ladies who helped make this the best "single evening" event I have ever attended!:D

David Bailey
13th-February-2007, 08:32 PM
I've moved the "photos" "discussion" to a separate thread.

SuzyQ
13th-February-2007, 08:51 PM
:D My first Utopia and what and introduction. Was still recovering from Southport (Southportitis) but felt like I was back there in the blues room. Whilst slightly intimidated by the high standard of dancing but once I got into it I lost myself. Thanks to all those ladies who helped make this the best "single evening" event I have ever attended!:D

Congrats on your first post Adam :)!

Glad you had a great time!

SuzyQ

Gentabout
13th-February-2007, 11:11 PM
Hammerlock? (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hammerlock&redirect=no)

Sounds Interesting.

Gent

Cruella
14th-February-2007, 12:19 PM
Sounds Interesting.

I presume you're refering to this bit!
are usually more easily performed from a dominant grappling position on the ground such as the mount, side mount

under par
14th-February-2007, 02:28 PM
sadly Mrs Par was unwell and had to be left at our first hotel of the weekend whilst I went to Utopia to see if the standard was as good as the first... I had a great nights dancing and the music was better that the first night IMHO a little less R&B and slightly more latin and definitely more blues.

Loads of great dances loads of fun dances too.

The opening of the doors to the dance floor a definite improvement.

The slick entrance procedure is to be commended , great job Lynda:hug: (and others):worthy:

I for one will endeavour to make as many of these nights as possible as I had a great time.

Well Done Val Dave and Vince and all the Utopia crew:cheers: :yeah:

Gentabout
14th-February-2007, 04:19 PM
I presume you're refering to this bit!

:yeah: :innocent:

SnowWhite
15th-February-2007, 06:28 PM
My usual 'rule' for travelling to venues is that my dancing time should at least equal my travelling time...

My question is, as I haven't yet been - Is Utopia worth a 3 hour journey each way?

:flower:

Cruella
15th-February-2007, 06:31 PM
Yes! :clap:

dave the scaffolder
15th-February-2007, 09:13 PM
My usual 'rule' for travelling to venues is that my dancing time should at least equal my travelling time...

My question is, as I haven't yet been - Is Utopia worth a 3 hour journey each way?

For a dancer of your high standard i would say a BIG YES:respect:
A three hour journey? Seems a bit of an overestimation to me babe it took me about a hour and and a half each way xxx

fletch
15th-February-2007, 09:16 PM

yes :worthy:

:clap:

MartinHarper
15th-February-2007, 09:17 PM

Nah. It's just dancing. Sure, the music is different, and the standard is maybe higher (more so at Twickenham, I understand), but wouldn't you rather spend those six hours dancing rather than travelling?

fletch
15th-February-2007, 09:19 PM
Nah. It's just dancing. Sure, the music is different, and the standard is maybe higher (more so at Twickenham, I understand), but wouldn't you rather spend those six hours dancing rather than travelling?

yes, but where you going to dance for another 6 hours :confused:

why do you think I love weekenders so much:clap:

are you going to save me a dance tomorrow :worthy:

SnowWhite
15th-February-2007, 11:19 PM
Well that's me convinced then... :waycool:

Dai
16th-February-2007, 12:09 AM

Yes, yes, yes!!

Did you get that!!

See you tomorrow
:hug:

Gentabout
16th-February-2007, 10:09 AM

Yes, :respect:

Gent

Simon
16th-February-2007, 12:24 PM
Where's best to park for Utopia Evesham? :flower:

Rocky
16th-February-2007, 12:48 PM
Where's best to park for Utopia Evesham? :flower:

Parking is a little tight depending on what time you get there. Best thing is to ring Debbie direct and ask - her contact details are in the contact section on the main website. Hope you have a great time.

Simon
16th-February-2007, 12:48 PM
Q2: Where's nice to eat near Utopia Evesham? Anyone recommend a restaurant around the venue? :flower:

David Bailey
16th-February-2007, 01:23 PM
My usual rule is "35 minutes max" :)

:eek:
No single freestyle is worth that much travel to me.
It's all subjective, innit.

I suspect that Utopia Evesham will be a "superior Ceroc" evening. Is that worth 3 hours travel? Depends on what you're used to I guess.

Lou
16th-February-2007, 01:43 PM
Q2: Where's nice to eat near Utopia Evesham? Anyone recommend a restaurant around the venue? :flower:
No idea, chum. But if you'll save me a dance for later, it'd be appreciated. :flower:

I suspect that Utopia Evesham will be a "superior Ceroc" evening. Is that worth 3 hours travel?
I'll let you know. :wink: It'll take me nearly 3 hours to get home to get my car, then another hour & half to get to Evesham tonight. :rolleyes:

DavidY
16th-February-2007, 02:01 PM
My usual 'rule' for travelling to venues is that my dancing time should at least equal my travelling time...:yeah:
:eek:
No single freestyle is worth that much travel to me. I'd agree with DJ - apart from anything else, on top of a long day at work, 3 hours travelling would reduce my brain to mush and I wouldn't have a great night even if the venue+music+partners were all perfect.

3 hours is a long way home, too. I left early at the last one because I was getting tired and even 1.5 hours' drive home felt like a long way.

But at the end of the day:

DavidY
16th-February-2007, 02:18 PM
By the way - anyone know if the Evesham tickets for tonight are sold out (in case I do feel like turning up and trying to get a ticket on the door...)?

robd
16th-February-2007, 03:04 PM
My usual rule is "35 minutes max" :)

I suspect that ...

I suspect that a person's perspective on this will differ according to whether they live in London or not.

MartinHarper
17th-February-2007, 02:18 AM
Evesham had good people tonight, and it seemed like there was plenty of space. I got some nice dances with folks I've not danced with for ages, and met some new faces too. All good.

I was less impressed with the music choices. This month we seem to have lost the "two faster tracks every hour" thing, that I felt worked well last month.
Also, I saw a fair proportion of dancers sitting out. My feeling is that last month the DJs were better at taking the dancers on a journey from the comfortable and familiar, through the "groovy" slower stuff, and back to the comfortable. This month was less compromising, and I felt it lacked the same sense of being "eased in" to the less familiar tracks.

Post-Utopia clubbing is very tempting, especially when I heard music as I got into my car to drive home.

fletch
17th-February-2007, 10:07 AM
Evesham had good people tonight, and it seemed like there was plenty of space. I got some nice dances with folks I've not danced with for ages, and met some new faces too. All good.

I was less impressed with the music choices. This month we seem to have lost the "two faster tracks every hour" thing, that I felt worked well last month.
Also, I saw a fair proportion of dancers sitting out. My feeling is that last month the DJs were better at taking the dancers on a journey from the comfortable and familiar, through the "groovy" slower stuff, and back to the comfortable. This month was less compromising, and I felt it lacked the same sense of being "eased in" to the less familiar tracks.

Post-Utopia clubbing is very tempting, especially when I heard music as I got into my car to drive home.

You have summed up pretty much what I was thinking. :really:

I don't remember the to fast tracks been played, and weren't they announced last time or was that Twickenham? I think announcing them worked and this was missing.:sad:

Some of the music was a little obscure even for me, I did like it, but I do like my old favourites and I think especially as 'easing in' was the order of the day some of the slower old favourite could have been played.:flower:

It did seem to empty early, but I think it did last time.:confused:

On a positive note, I never got pulled around once,:clap: all the men there seemed to understand the concept and even if they weren't that good at it, they made a wonderful effort.:cheers: IceBraker your style was so different last night, brill.:flower:

I had some fab dances, Martin I always want to dance with you,:D Stokie WOW! one lesson at WCS and your doing it,:worthy: I think we need to get a closer, we have perfected the arms length move.:na: Twirly Bird I watched your dance with Mr Cool he can be challenging for newbies, he has a very unique style, you looked fab.:worthy: Simon from Bristol more please.:drool: (both Simons from Bristol) ElaineB i'm not drooling over your Simon :innocent: Phil I think you only dance with me to shut me up.:rofl: Mr Cool just wonderful as usual.:worthy:

There were a few faces missing.:(

I had a blond moment and put the wrong venue in my tom tom and after 1 hr and 50 miles wondered why I hadn't seen any sighs for Evesham and getting sighs for Chester.:blush: what a divvey :rolleyes:

What was Marc on i'll have some please he was bouncing around like a bunny rabbit.:clap:

Jamie the pink flared trousers are sooo you, not sure about the black socks and green underpants, I tried to have a Trinney and suzanne moment but he wouldn't let me take them off :whistle: (socks):na:

Dai looking good babes, :flower: your a bit different now doing blues from when you first started.:worthy:

Lovely to see Snow white and Dave i'm not sure if you will do the journey again I will be interested in reading your review.

Norhhans Girlie and Matt will miss you tonight at Derby.:tears:

Was it me or did there seem a lot of talent there last night:drool: (down girl):blush:

Its a lovely venue and set out just perfectly, the floor in very slippy, I ended up in 5 pairs of shoes to find a pair I could dance in....:really: ....i'll keep :trying :na:

Well done to all that organised it very professional and well put together :respect:

in the words or Arnie.....i'll be back :clap:

ElaineB
17th-February-2007, 10:25 AM
Just a quick response, because I am meant to be out house hunting!

Simon and I had a wonderful time last night and for us, the music was brilliant!

As has already been said, some fabulous dancers :love: were there last night for both myself and Simon (Fletch! :wink: ) and we can honestly say that there wasn't a bad one.

Oh and many thanks for the role reversal lead/follow last night from Dai, Jamie and Lou....:hug:

Elaine

fletch
17th-February-2007, 10:26 AM
Stokebloke and Twerly Bird

Me, Northans Girlie and TwerlyBird

Martin Harper and Jamie with IceBraker looking on

StokeBloke
17th-February-2007, 06:54 PM
My first ever blues night, my first ever freestyle (I did get to one in Stoke but had to leave after the first hour to go to work). Wow! What a great night! Thanks IceBraker for sharing the travelling - our turn to drive next time.

I met loads of people, watched some brilliant dancers, learnt LOADS and had some brilliant dances..... of course my favorite dancehall diva fletch:awe: .... you were awesome babe. Thanks for all the dances, and for the encouragement. I think you're right about having the arms length stuff nailed now.... time to move onto the UCP moves :devil: :flower: :devil: :flower: Nice jeans at the end o fthe evening, glad they didn't get sneezed on :D

I had a couple of lovely dances with ElaineB. The evening finished and the lights came on, and the guys started packing away, but they foolishly left the music playing... not wanting to miss a moment I grabbed one final (and fantastic dance) with ElaineB. Thank you so much for being so cool about dancing on a nearly empty floor with everyone milling about. I loved dancing with you and can't wait till I get another chance.

Dai. The hat looked great babe. Thanks for dancing with me. It is always so much fun having you and your snake hips on the end of my arm :D

A couple of spins around the floor with the amazing Rachel. That was sublime, and being asked by you sent my confidence through the roof :D :D :D

Jamie - black socks! Sort it out mate :eek: I had wonderful fun dancing with you, ta for noticing that I'm working on musicality. And thanks for helping me out with that as we were dancing together too. :respect: I lost count of how many spins you managed - at one point I nipped to the bar and got back in time to catch your hand though :rofl:

Oh yes! Hi, to Martin Harper. Saw you dancing follow so I grabbed a chance to lead you only to discover I had been dancing with a forum legend (add some positive rep here :D ). Great dancing with you, I look forward to the next one. I was also pretty cool dancing double trouble with you and Jaime. A big three guy double trouble dance-a-thon with me struggling to follow Jaimie's lead..... sorry Jamie:blush: you were pulling off some really imaginiative stuff and I was staggering about like a gin filled hippo (note to self: follow technique needs serious practice and work).

Hi and thanks to everyone who danced with me and made my very first freestyle so much fun.:respect: :flower: :flower: Not sure if there was anyone I danced with who read/posts here, but there was a girl with dark hair, in a white top and jeans that was dancing with Dai a fair bit - you're a great dancer :) There was a beautiful girl who spent a lot of time sitting out in the corner who told me she couldn't dance jive that I danced with too... that was a really great fun dance we had..... I came off the floor with a huge grin and you followed my MJ lead flawlessly :respect:

It's difficult to give a review, as I really have nothing much to guage against! OXO provided some fantastic tracks to dance to, I didn't recognise any of them, so it made working on musicality a little more of a challenge. Especially when you're in a blues room staring down into the eyes of your partner :rolleyes: A couple of favorites wouldn't have gone amiss - but that is just being nit-picky! The temperature of the room was comfortable, but I'm not sure why the fans were removed from the stage... maybe they weren't doing enough trade at the bar :whistle: It was all laid out very well, looked very sophisticated with the non direct lighting setting a lovely ambient tone to dance under. Free parking on the doorstep and a fun dance class with a teacher who was top notch..... when is the next one????????? :wink:

Twirlie Bird
17th-February-2007, 07:12 PM
My first Utopia. My first blues experience and my first real freestyle. There was a lot riding on tonight. My expectations were huge. I was so excited about it all but really nervous too as I really didn't know what to expect. :sick:

Was I disappointed? NO CHANCE!!!!!!! :nice:

I was so incredibly nervous during the class. I had no idea what was about to follow in the freestyle. (No really you won't imagine some of the images I had managed to create in my mind). The class was really good fun though. The moves were lovely and it was a great opportunity to meet people and say hi. I kept watching Rachel and she looked stunning. Everything about her was a dream. :worthy: Thanks to Martin for dragging me onto the stage and body rolling me. Nifty maneuver by the way!!!!! Shame I didn't get a chance to grab a dance with you. Next time for sure. :wink:

When the class finished and the freestyle started I relaxed and asked myself how I had managed to get so worked up in the first place. It was amazing. A quick hug and chat with Fletch and an introductions to some beautiful forumites really put me at ease. What followed was an incredible night. The lighting was perfect, the dancers were smooth, skilled and a delight. Like Fletch said there was no yanking anywhere. The temperature was perfect. I am so fussy when it comes to temperature but once I got dancing even I couldn't moan about it!!!! Yes it was my first freestyle event of any kind so I have nothing to compare it to but if they are all like that I for 1 would be very happy. :clap: :clap:

In the hope that this doesn't sound like an acceptance speech I want to say hi and thanks to a few special people. :whistle:

I have to mention the gorgeous Fletch first. You are a star. Just knowing you were going to be there last night put me at ease and encouraged me to drive all that way. :hug: :love: :hug:

You looked stunning. How many shoes did you pack last night?????? I would hate (OK I would LOVE) to see what you pack on a weekender. :rofl:

Jamie. You are one hot dancer. How can somebody look so horny in pink flary trousers. Trainer socks would probably have completed that outfit though. Ha ha ha. Seriously I watched you for many dances last night and you were amazing. You span and span with Dai on one dance and I was transfixed. :respect: I loved our dance. You always leave me wanting more!!!!! :whistle:

Dai. You looked gorgeous. That outfit showed you off perfectly. I watched you dance with so many people and you looked a dream. Thanks for our dance. You are one fabulous lady and one fabulous lead. :flower: :worthy:

Mr Cool. Wow. What fun I had with you and thank you for your kind words. I haven't danced with anyone quite like you before and I loved every minute of it. Looking forward to meeting and dancing with you again. :worthy:

OK this really is sounding like a gushing acceptance speech so I will stop. OK I will stop in a minute. I just want to say a big hi and thanks to everyone else I met last night. You all helped make it one amazing night.

Twirlie Bird
-x-

StokeBloke
17th-February-2007, 07:28 PM
Miss... miss.... TwirlieBird's copied my homework! :D

fletch
18th-February-2007, 10:27 AM
I have to mention the gorgeous Fletch first. You are a star. Just knowing you were going to be there last night put me at ease and encouraged me to drive all that way. :hug: :love: :hug:

You looked stunning. How many shoes did you pack last night?????? I would hate (OK I would LOVE) to see what you pack on a weekender. :rofl:

-x-

Thank you honey :hug:

Why do you think I have a people carrier :waycool: :na:

Hi and thanks to everyone who danced with me and made my very first freestyle so much fun.:respect: :flower: :flower: Not sure if there was anyone I danced with who read/posts here, but there was a girl with dark hair, in a white top and jeans that was dancing with Dai a fair bit

That's PawPlay :hug:

We need to see you at more :flower:

Jamie
18th-February-2007, 03:33 PM
Woo, loved Friday at Utopia!

Thanks to everyone for your comments, loved my dances with all of you! Stokie, you're getting a bit good there mister! Thankyou everyone for my dances!

Thanks to Dai for my pink wrap arounds, loved them! I just saw them and thought, omg I want to wear them! So I did! HAHA... Sorry bout the socks tho, I could get away with saying they were a fashion statement!

Will give a more detailed review later, am at Fletch's at the minute! RAR

XXX

Mr Cool
18th-February-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi I had a super night at Evesham great venue,wonderful fast floor and superb lady dancers:flower: Elaine B, Racheal(and her friend), Flech, Northans Girly, Twirlie bird, to name a few wonderful:flower: I also Danced With Jamie what a dancer:respect: (I thought Andy Mcgregor was good):eek: love Oxos music :respect:
I agree with Martin:confused: although I love good slow music a few good faster tracks would give the event a more balanced feel. great event:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
well done Debbie

:waycool: :waycool::waycool:

Andy McGregor
19th-February-2007, 02:07 AM
(I thought Andy Mcgregor was good):eek:One day Jamie and I will make a baby - that baby will be the best dancer ever* :wink:

* although that "love child" will be "gender confused" :confused:

Marc Forster
19th-February-2007, 12:56 PM
Hey Folks. Thanks for a great night. Superb venue and friendly dancers. What more could you ask for. Ahh yes, music. More on that later.

Enjoyed myself in the class. Think we timed it just right by finishing at 9pm. Pleased we brought the extra lights. Setting them up during OXO's set wasn't ideal. Apologies to the lady bending over by the wall. I honestly thought that was the plug socket!

OXO's set came to an end all too quickly, ending on a high. Without knowing what to play, I had a clear idea of the structure. Gently rolling the tempo down to blues room level before rolling back up to a main room pace while making sure that any one genre of music doesn't dominate the flow. Choosing slow tempo songs which sound relatively fast did mean that when the faster tempo songs were played, it was less obvious. Likewise the faster tracks did have a laid back feel. We did get up to 130BPM which on hindsight wasn't enough to give it an extra kick.

I was happy with overall picture, but agree that it could have been painted on a much wider canvas. The Utopia concept has so much potential, the canvas is huge. In preparation for next time, I've reached a Jerry Springer style conclusion.

A good DJ set should be like a ball with spikes. Sharp enough to tingle, soft enough to squeeze. Rather than filing down all the lumps and bumps, the DJ should present their pointy bits with pride. A solid core of music with songs that stand out for different reasons, thus giving everyone a fair chance of hitting a peak of their own.

Take care of yourself...........and each other:nice:

Zebra Woman
19th-February-2007, 01:27 PM
the DJ should present their pointy bits with pride.

I just love your way with words Marc! :awe: :respect:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CJ
19th-February-2007, 02:26 PM
We did get up to 130BPM which on hindsight wasn't enough to give it an extra kick.

Was that when the pc varispeed kicked in, or was that the speed of the track?!?:wink:

Oh the joys of technology!!!!:eek:

Am sorry I missed another one... shall make it soon, tho.

fletch
19th-February-2007, 03:11 PM
Rather than filing down all the lumps and bumps, the DJ should present their pointy bits with pride.

:rofl: :rofl:

Marc I promise not to get rid of my lumps and bumps if you present your pionty bits with pride. :whistle:

:rofl:

see you and Rachel Saturday :hug:

Rachel
19th-February-2007, 03:35 PM

Marc I promise not to get rid of my lumps and bumps if you present your pionty bits with pride. :whistle:

:rofl:

see you and Rachel Saturday :hug:Excuse me, but his pointy bits belong to me!!!

R. xx :wink:

fletch
19th-February-2007, 04:29 PM
Excuse me, but his pointy bits belong to me!!!

R. xx :wink:

absolutely babes :hug:

Jamie
19th-February-2007, 04:57 PM
{snip}I also Danced With Jamie what a dancer:respect: (I thought Andy Mcgregor was good):eek: {snip}

:waycool: :waycool::waycool:

Wow, thanks mate, I enjoyed our dance it was great fun!

One day Jamie and I will make a baby - that baby will be the best dancer ever* :wink:

* although that "love child" will be "gender confused" :confused:

Oh yeah go and tell the world our secret plan!

The child will be desperately gender confused, you're quite right, but at least it'll be the best dancer ever! :rofl:

--------------

Ok, my full comment's now I'm back home from my visit to the midlands this weekend!

We arrived a little late (half 9...!!) but made up for it with some amazing dances to start off with! Dai spun me around the floor several times, in my Bright Pink Wraparounds, and Bright green tshirt (not to mention the lime green boxers..!!)

Had fantastic dances with Stokie, TwirlyBird, MartinHarper, MrCool, ElaineB, DianaS, Fletch, Dai, PawPlay... To name a few.

Had some interesting double troubles, I led Stokie n MartinHarper, how funny was that! Also, Dai pulled off the double halfmoon with me and PawPlay, still waiting on that picture!

TwirlyBird made a funny comment to me the minute I got there... "Jamie, how can you turn up in bright pink trousers and still be sexy!" HAHA... :respect:

Music was good but, I would like a few fast tracks that I can have a good spin to! I think the fast tracks need to be very different, rather than just fast blues.. However, I still enjoyed the music, as I love blues..

Only had one WCS dance all night! Was gutted, couldn't find anyone who did WCS!

Also, I'm gutted that I didn't get a dance with Rachel :( Will grab you another time babe!!

All in all, a good night, enjoyed my dances and again thanks to all those that I did dance with.

Woo!

OXO'S
19th-February-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey Folks. Thanks for a great night. Superb venue and friendly dancers. What more could you ask for. Ahh yes, music. More on that later.

Enjoyed myself in the class. Think we timed it just right by finishing at 9pm. Pleased we brought the extra lights. Setting them up during OXO's set wasn't ideal. Apologies to the lady bending over by the wall. I honestly thought that was the plug socket!

OXO's set came to an end all too quickly, ending on a high. Without knowing what to play, I had a clear idea of the structure. Gently rolling the tempo down to blues room level before rolling back up to a main room pace while making sure that any one genre of music doesn't dominate the flow. Choosing slow tempo songs which sound relatively fast did mean that when the faster tempo songs were played, it was less obvious. Likewise the faster tracks did have a laid back feel. We did get up to 130BPM which on hindsight wasn't
enough to give it an extra kick.

I was happy with overall picture, but agree that it could have been painted on a much wider canvas. The Utopia concept has so much potential, the canvas is huge. In preparation for next time, I've reached a Jerry Springer style conclusion.

A good DJ set should be like a ball with spikes. Sharp enough to tingle, soft enough to squeeze. Rather than filing down all the lumps and bumps, the DJ should present their pointy bits with pride. A solid core of music with songs that stand out for different reasons, thus giving everyone a fair chance of hitting a peak of their own.

Hi folks just my thoughts to EVESHAM friday another very good night.
Nice to see new faces and regulars from before and to the people who made the trips from bristol and that side of the country some excellant dancers.
Yes MARC is right in his comments about the concept of utopia.
I must admit i did take a different direction into the first set that i played in febuary,i did plan this because i want to find out the different roads we can go down with this music. Yes perhaps some people found it more challenging,
and probaly analising now may need to introduce the more challenging music
gently over a period of time,but this is what makes utopia fun and giving me the task of putting even more time into searching for music to compliment the utopia scene its driving me forward all the time to make this a tremendous success and to give people what they want i hope.
Will deliver the taste of the more up beat tracks that people want once every hour at the next event.
It was a pleasure working with MARC once again to his set was superb.
So keep coming and hpe to see more of you at the march venue.
KEEP SMILING KEEP ASKING KEEP DANCING.
Oh me and marc will be at PULSE KIDDERMINSTER this sat where there is a TWO rooms MJ room and a BLUES ROOM.:clap: :clap:

fletch
19th-February-2007, 10:24 PM
So keep coming and hpe to see more of you at the march venue.
KEEP SMILING KEEP ASKING KEEP DANCING.
Oh me and marc will be at PULSE KIDDERMINSTER this sat where there is a TWO rooms MJ room and a BLUES ROOM.:clap: :clap:

I like this comment, it could be my signature :clap:

I will try and get there as the crow flys this time and not via London, Aberdeen, or somwhere else as obscure :sick: :blush:

I WILL KEEP SMILING AND ASKING AND DANCING

Dai
20th-February-2007, 10:50 AM
We arrived a little late (half 9...!!)

and why were we late - oh yes cos we were doing YOUR hair!!

but made up for it with some amazing dances to start off with! Dai spun me around the floor several times, in my Bright Pink Wraparounds, and Bright green tshirt (not to mention the lime green boxers..!!)

In MY, pink wraparound trousers!! :rolleyes:

Had fantastic dances with Stokie, TwirlyBird, MartinHarper, MrCool, ElaineB, DianaS, Fletch, Dai, PawPlay... To name a few.

Had some interesting double troubles, I led Stokie n MartinHarper, how funny was that! Also, Dai pulled off the double halfmoon with me and PawPlay, still waiting on that picture!

Will see what i can do about that - not sure i know how to post a pic - but i'm working on it. :confused:

Ok -so my comments on Utopia -

Arrived a little later than expected - but it wasn't a big deal. First dance with Jamie - what a way to warm up!!

I had some fantastic dances, Jamie, Pawplay, Fletch, Stokebloke, TwirlyBird, Snowwhite, ElaineB, Simon (not sure if he is on the forum), NorthantsGirlie, Matt, Rachel... All in all it was a great night.

I don't think i sat out for more than one dance from 9 til 12.15 - i was totally jiggered.

I think i must have recieved my best compliment ever in ceroc from a woman called Jan, from Swindon - :flower: :blush: Thank you so much - that made my night!!

It was great to see you at a freestyle Stokie and TB, and it was a shame i didn't get to dance with you Icebreaker - next time??

I'm just totally gutted that i am giong to miss the next one :tears:

Oh and Jamie - it's Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! not RAR!!:rofl:

Northants Girly
20th-February-2007, 01:10 PM
Brilliant photos!

I enjoyed Evesham Utopia too last Friday. Was good to see some folk I'd not seen for ages and to meet forumites I'd never met before.

It's a lovely venue with a friendly team on the door and of course great music from Ian and Marc :clap:

fletch
20th-February-2007, 02:24 PM
[

Arrived a little later than expected - but it wasn't a big deal. First dance with Jamie - what a way to warm up!!

I think i must have recieved my best compliment ever in ceroc from a woman called Jan, from Swindon - :flower: :blush: Thank you so much - that made my night!!

Ididn't get to dance with you Icebreaker - next time??

I'm glad I didn't come with you getting there at 8.15 was bad enough :tears:

Fab photos :clap: the black sock didn't go with the pink trousers did they :confused:

please tell me when you are going to dance with icebreaker I would love to see you throw him upside down like Jamie :rofl:

so are you 'the tor' :waycool: :wink:

StokeBloke
21st-February-2007, 11:37 AM
please tell me when you are going to dance with icebreaker I would love to see you throw him upside down like Jamie :rofl:
I would pay to see that! Sorry Icebraker but it's true :D