PDA

View Full Version : blues moves good and bad......

FoxyFunkster
9th-February-2007, 03:47 PM
Only been dancing for a year now and only recenlty learnt to love dancing in the blues rooms at the various venues, i`m wondering what are considered great blues moves to use and what moves if any are frowned upon.......

robd
9th-February-2007, 03:49 PM
Hands on chest (man to lady) tends to be frowned upon if performed without invitation :blush:

FoxyFunkster
9th-February-2007, 03:51 PM
Hands on chest (man to lady) tends to be frowned upon if performed without invitation :blush:

thats one i`ll not be trying tonight then.....:wink:

TheTramp
9th-February-2007, 03:53 PM
The answer, as always, is that no 'move' in itself is frowned on. It's who you do it with, and when, and how......

Watching Silverfox do some moves with one of his harem, and then going off and trying the same moves with someone that you don't know is a good way of guarenteeing a reputation, if not a slapping!

As for great blues moves, just try listening to the music, and dancing to that. Do your basic stuff musically, and it'll be great. Do difficult moves badly, and it won't be so great.

A forum isn't the best place to try to describe that. Try to get to a blues workshop, or even better, get to somewhere like Utopia, and just watch for a while :D

FoxyFunkster
9th-February-2007, 03:58 PM
The answer, as always, is that no 'move' in itself is frowned on. It's who you do it with, and when, and how......

Watching Silverfox do some moves with one of his harem, and then going off and trying the same moves with someone that you don't know is a good way of guarenteeing a reputation, if not a slapping!

As for great blues moves, just try listening to the music, and dancing to that. Do your basic stuff musically, and it'll be great. Do difficult moves badly, and it won't be so great.

A forum isn't the best place to try to describe that. Try to get to a blues workshop, or even better, get to somewhere like Utopia, and just watch for a while :D

keep it simple is the way forward then, i`ll make sure i get there for the class tonight then.....

Caro
9th-February-2007, 04:03 PM

Frown upon: look disapprovingly upon
now is there a word for: look in total disbelief and utter bewilderment upon ? :whistle:

:rofl: I see that somebody's learnt their lesson though

robd
9th-February-2007, 04:04 PM
Watching Silverfox do some moves with one of his harem

That's an interesting way to spell b*tches Trampy!

robd
9th-February-2007, 04:05 PM
Frown upon: look disapprovingly upon
now is there a word for: look in total disbelief and utter bewilderment upon ? :whistle:

I must have the got the 'you can look but you can't touch' maxim back to front :wink:

Lory
9th-February-2007, 04:07 PM
keep it simple is the way forward then, .:yeah: Less is more IMO! :nice:

FoxyFunkster
9th-February-2007, 04:10 PM
:yeah: Less is more IMO! :nice:
Less is more of course doesn`t apply if you happen to be dancing with the no 2 rated west coast swing male.....more is more...more is more...

Chef
9th-February-2007, 04:16 PM
Keep it simple. Most importantly keep it musical (or ar least reflecting the mood of the music). Keep it smooth.

It is most definately not Ceroc done at normal speed (or even Ceroc done very slowly). The music rules, moves are way down the list below attitude. Don't be afaid to stand still if that is what the music is saying to you. Blues rooms are a great place to play and experiment, particularly in close hold (mainstream MJ doesn't give you much opportunity to be in close hold).

Pretzels (of any description, however well they are done) and catapults don't seem to work to slow music

Astro
9th-February-2007, 04:21 PM

:D

So is it up to the lady to indicate to the man that Silver Fox type moves are OK?

Chef
9th-February-2007, 05:31 PM
So is it up to the lady to indicate to the man that Silver Fox type moves are OK?

She usually indicates this by removing all her clothes.

But leaves her dance shoes on.

Sheepman
9th-February-2007, 05:40 PM
what are considered great blues moves to use
Try a dance without any moves, maybe speed up, slow down, stop, if the music tells you to. Works for me, :whistle: though sometimes I'm not so sure if it works for my partners.

Forget Double Pretzels, Catapults, & Columbians!

Greg

David Bailey
9th-February-2007, 05:44 PM
Forget Double Pretzels
Always do.

Catapults
Ditto.

Columbians!
:what: Really? Are you saying linear giros are out? You Evil Monster you! :eek:

(Although there's normally no space for them anyhow)

straycat
9th-February-2007, 06:05 PM
Less is more IMO! :nice:

:yeah:

Bearing in mind though, that after a dance where this maxim holds true, you start wanting more and more less...

Right now, I'm at a stage where I want a lot more less, and a lot less more.... (more or less) :what:

Sheepman
9th-February-2007, 06:29 PM
(Although there's normally no space for them anyhow)
Partly that, but have you ever seen anyone ever look really cool doing one? :devil:

Greg

straycat
9th-February-2007, 06:33 PM
Partly that, but have you ever seen anyone ever look really cool doing one? :devil:

Yep. Al Pacino in Scarface! (he did in loads of Columbians in that)

Beowulf
9th-February-2007, 09:35 PM
:yeah:

Bearing in mind though, that after a dance where this maxim holds true, you start wanting more and more less...

Right now, I'm at a stage where I want a lot more less, and a lot less more.... (more or less) :what:

:rofl: Gets his slide rule out to try and work that one out !! ;) :rofl:

I'm glad to hear less is more.. I know even less blues moves that I know normal ones.. of course I know its more about the feeling than the moves themselves.

David Bailey
10th-February-2007, 10:03 PM
Yep - pretty much any AT dancer will look cool doign a linear giro.

In fact, looking cool is 99% of AT I reckon :)

Yogi_Bear
10th-February-2007, 10:27 PM
Only been dancing for a year now and only recenlty learnt to love dancing in the blues rooms at the various venues, i`m wondering what are considered great blues moves to use and what moves if any are frowned upon.......
If you've been in the 'blues rooms' as you mention, you will already have a pretty good idea. If you're not sure then spend plenty of time watching. Forget MJ moves and start from scratch. Blues isn't a question of moves, it's one of attitude - about responding to the music and your partner. Vary the tempo according to the music and don't be afraid to do so. If in doubt, less is more. If the music isn't doing very much you don't need to either. You and your partner for each dance will establish what feels right and what doesn't. There are very few rules. But strictly no catapaults or recurring pretzel thingummyjigs......

Gadget
12th-February-2007, 02:02 PM
Seen as I've not got round to updating my syg yet...

¤ Online Workshop: Blues & Moves (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9940) ¤

That's got most of my thoughts on blues within it; limit the elastic bounce and orbit that is inherant in MJ and introduce some magnetic attraction. Moves don't matter - it's how you do them.

...Of course there are some moves that lend themselves to this style - hence the 'moves' bit...

Beowulf
12th-February-2007, 03:46 PM
¤ Online Workshop: Blues & Moves (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9940) ¤

I can do a Bluesy YoYo? cool :) I'm ok then :)

Very cool gadget.. will have to get you to demo some of these moves on Tuesday.. I've got until this coming Sunday to "learn the blues" :sick:

Yogi_Bear
12th-February-2007, 03:50 PM
I can do a Bluesy YoYo? cool :) I'm ok then :)

Very cool gadget.. will have to get you to demo some of these moves on Tuesday.. I've got until this coming Sunday to "learn the blues" :sick:
Sorry, but no way can a yo-yo be made to look good in blues :D

Beowulf
12th-February-2007, 03:56 PM

according to the G-man it can :) I'd like to know how to.. as it's one of the few moves I can go ;) Mind you.. Gadget can make ANYTHING look bluesy.. I'm waiting for his next lesson ...

... Lindy hop blues :)

Yogi_Bear
12th-February-2007, 03:59 PM
according to the G-man it can :) I'd like to know how to.. as it's one of the few moves I can go ;) Mind you.. Gadget can make ANYTHING look bluesy.. I'm waiting for his next lesson ...

"You may say that, I couldn't possibly comment". :wink:

I've never knowingly seen him dance, but if he can make the boring old yo-yo look cool and bluesy I'll take my hat off to him. I'd stick to the sway if I were you.

Ghost
12th-February-2007, 04:01 PM
Half speed to the block, pause, then double speed on the turn into a freeze / pose / invite to play (Needs matching music though, oh and a :awe: follow helps too :wink: )

Yogi_Bear
12th-February-2007, 04:04 PM
Half speed to the block, pause, then double speed on the turn into a freeze / pose / invite to play (Needs matching music though, oh and a :awe: follow helps too :wink: )
maybe, on a good night....

robd
12th-February-2007, 04:08 PM

Of course it can. As Ghost said, mess with the timing and accentuate certain parts of it. Granted there must come a point at which it no longer resembles the yo-yo as a ceroc beginner's class would know it but I believe that it's not the moves in and of themselves that look poor in a blues room but the style of the person carrying them out.

Beowulf
12th-February-2007, 05:06 PM
if he can make the boring old yo-yo look cool and bluesy I'll take my hat off to him.

maybe, on a good night....

With his permission I may see if I can't persuade him to demo this move in front of phone video cam on Tuesday.

I'm sure we could arrange a suitably :drool: follower ;) Caro? Genie? Freya? Piglet? all very :drool: :drool:

Yogi_Bear
12th-February-2007, 05:11 PM
With his permission I may see if I can't persuade him to demo this move in front of phone video cam on Tuesday.

I'm sure we could arrange a suitably :drool: follower ;) Caro? Genie? Freya? Piglet? all very :drool: :drool:Sure, get him to do it as you suggested, or his own interpretation, and post a video somewhere we can all se it....
:cheers:

Ghost
12th-February-2007, 05:14 PM

I'm sure we could arrange a suitably :drool: follower ;) Caro? Genie? Freya? Piglet? all very :drool: :drool:
How about 4 versions, one with each :awe:

Beowulf
12th-February-2007, 05:26 PM
Sure, get him to do it as you suggested,

I'll ASK him..I can't TELL him. he and/or his partners may be unwilling to be videoed .. but I'll ask him to do the move and I'll get a consensus of opinion from people watching around him :)

But I've printed off the moves pdf of his, and I plan to try some of these out on Tuesday and the following Sunday :)

MartinHarper
12th-February-2007, 11:47 PM
Gadget can make ANYTHING look bluesy.. I'm waiting for his next lesson ...

Lindy Hop blues already exists. Where did you think MJ blues came from?

In the early 80’s the Herrang Dance camp (Sweden) started, teaching Lindy Hop and Boogie Woogie. As part of the camp they introduced a mid week “Blues” evening ... In 1990 Simon Selmon started teaching at this camp and brought this ‘Blues’ idea back to the UK. ...

Nigel's email is well worth reading in full.
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38193&postcount=38

Yogi_Bear
13th-February-2007, 12:16 AM
I'll ASK him..I can't TELL him. he and/or his partners may be unwilling to be videoed .. but I'll ask him to do the move and I'll get a consensus of opinion from people watching around him :)

But I've printed off the moves pdf of his, and I plan to try some of these out on Tuesday and the following Sunday :)

Sure, ask him to do it and maybe that will get him to do it.....
Or anyone else come to that. I remain to be convinced that a yo-yo has serious blues potential but I have an open mind :nice:

Twirlie Bird
13th-February-2007, 02:49 AM

:respect: What an amazing online workshop. Wow. :respect:

As a complete newbie to blues I so want to learn now. Oh please let me be able to get to Utopia on Friday. :nice:

I want to dance with Gadget even more!!!!! :blush:

Twirlie Bird
-x-

Gadget
13th-February-2007, 02:00 PM
I am on this forum now & again you know :rolleyes:

I can think on... about 12 things you can do to/with/in a standard yo-yo that would "blues it up"; after all, it's all in how you do the move, not what the move actually is.

So are you leading or following then Beo? :devil:

{PS: Twurlie Bird - come up to a Beach Ballroom event some time; I can normally be found lurking* somewhere on the dance floor at these :D}

{*"lurking" may not be 100% accurate :whistle:}

Yogi_Bear
13th-February-2007, 02:14 PM
I am on this forum now & again you know :rolleyes:

I can think on... about 12 things you can do to/with/in a standard yo-yo that would "blues it up"; after all, it's all in how you do the move, not what the move actually is.

Such as?

Genie
13th-February-2007, 02:25 PM

You can do a yoyo? :what:

Genie
13th-February-2007, 02:27 PM

What, all at once? :eek:

Gadget
13th-February-2007, 02:36 PM
Such as?

The entrance: tango attitude: lead the follower to remain in the spot and take yourself to them while folding the arm. Crisp movement and total focus on the follower. Trailing foot comes beside and hold the pose for a beat.

The entrance: smooth: take the weight to the back (left) foot as the follower steps in and then drag your left shoulder with the right hand as the arm is folded out and weight is transfered to the other foot. All the time, following your partner wth your whole head.

The entrance: carress: simply step in real close to your partner so there is just enough room for your hands (still low), heads close. Slowly draw right hand up to left shoulder as if carressing up your left side.

Fold out: dramatic: {this requires the follower to be balanced and have confidence that they will not rip your arm off on finishing it.} Fingers over top of hand so that the follower won't spin off like a hatch-back. Send arm out and mirror with other arm taking a strong stance and look away (slightly left) forlorn.

Fold out: smooth: slowly (over a few beats) take the arm out while maintaining a constant connection. The follower should do a ronde (leg sweep) - this lowers them a bit, so bend the knees and lower to match while following them with your head. Use the spare arm to push the air following your partner (keep the palm down so it's not confused for a signal)

etc.
Most involve timeing and "style" elements, but my lunch is over and I have to return to the treadmill less the power fails.

You can do a Yo-yo?It's a yo-yo Jim, but not as you know it ;)

Yogi_Bear
13th-February-2007, 10:45 PM
Of course it can. As Ghost said, mess with the timing and accentuate certain parts of it. Granted there must come a point at which it no longer resembles the yo-yo as a ceroc beginner's class would know it but I believe that it's not the moves in and of themselves that look poor in a blues room but the style of the person carrying them out.

In which case it ceases to be a yo-yo, which is my point.

Yogi_Bear
13th-February-2007, 10:51 PM
The entrance: tango attitude: lead the follower to remain in the spot and take yourself to them while folding the arm. Crisp movement and total focus on the follower. Trailing foot comes beside and hold the pose for a beat.

The entrance: smooth: take the weight to the back (left) foot as the follower steps in and then drag your left shoulder with the right hand as the arm is folded out and weight is transfered to the other foot. All the time, following your partner wth your whole head.

The entrance: carress: simply step in real close to your partner so there is just enough room for your hands (still low), heads close. Slowly draw right hand up to left shoulder as if carressing up your left side.

Fold out: dramatic: {this requires the follower to be balanced and have confidence that they will not rip your arm off on finishing it.} Fingers over top of hand so that the follower won't spin off like a hatch-back. Send arm out and mirror with other arm taking a strong stance and look away (slightly left) forlorn.

Fold out: smooth: slowly (over a few beats) take the arm out while maintaining a constant connection. The follower should do a ronde (leg sweep) - this lowers them a bit, so bend the knees and lower to match while following them with your head. Use the spare arm to push the air following your partner (keep the palm down so it's not confused for a signal)

etc.
Most involve timeing and "style" elements, but my lunch is over and I have to return to the treadmill less the power fails.

It's a yo-yo Jim, but not as you know it ;)

Well, you've put a lot of thought into that - who knows, you might stand a chance of convincing me of the blues potential of the basic pattern of the dreaded yo yo.....maybe. Not that I will be venturing down that road myself. Anything that takes your right hand to your left shoulder wouldn't get my vote, for a start.

Whitebeard
13th-February-2007, 11:52 PM
I'll ASK him..I can't TELL him (Gadget that is -WB). he and/or his partners may be unwilling to be videoed .. but I'll ask him to do the move and I'll get a consensus of opinion from people watching around him :)

What a pity all Gadgets have been relegated to Sideshow ;-)

robd
14th-February-2007, 11:31 AM
Anything that takes your right hand to your left shoulder wouldn't get my vote, for a start.

I presume you never do a RH comb when Blues dancing then?

Tiggerbabe
14th-February-2007, 11:41 AM
:confused: In a RH comb doesn't the lead's right hand go to their right shoulder?

robd
14th-February-2007, 11:43 AM
:confused: In a RH comb doesn't the lead's right hand go to their right shoulder?

Could go to either I guess. I tend to take it to my left shoulder so I guess it is me doing the combing rather than the follower if that makes sense?

Tiggerbabe
14th-February-2007, 11:46 AM
We can always try it both ways at Utopia next month :hug:

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 11:46 AM
Not unless I've been doing it horribly wrong all these years. You're maybe thinking of the follow's right?

RH on right shoulder is Just Wrong - try it and see what I mean.

Tiggerbabe
14th-February-2007, 11:50 AM
Nope, in all the classes I've seen/heard it taught they say "men lower your right hand to your right shoulder, at the same time placing your left hand on the lady's right arm". Of course, they then let go with the right hand and lead with the left.

Tiggerbabe
14th-February-2007, 11:53 AM
Am now trying it your way David, and I can't get my right hand (behind my neck) onto my left shoulder without my elbow sticking up in the air :na:

Tessalicious
14th-February-2007, 12:08 PM
It's taught to the right shoulder (via the left ear) to avoid unnecessary displays of armpit from smelly guys, I'm told. It's also the way you do it, DJ, so don't pretend it isn't.

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 12:42 PM
It's taught to the right shoulder (via the left ear) to avoid unnecessary displays of armpit from smelly guys, I'm told. It's also the way you do it, DJ, so don't pretend it isn't.
Is it? I dunno, I can't tell my left from my right most days.

( OK, I admit, just wanted to get Tiggerbabe doing funny things with her arms... :devil: )

Tiggerbabe
14th-February-2007, 12:53 PM
( OK, I admit, just wanted to get Tiggerbabe doing funny things with her arms... :devil: )
Dammit :tears: it worked, and now my hair's all mussed up too :respect:

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 01:21 PM
Dammit :tears: it worked, and now my hair's all mussed up too :respect:
My work here is done.

Gadget
14th-February-2007, 02:03 PM
...Anything that takes your right hand to your left shoulder wouldn't get my vote, for a start.
With the follower directly infront of you, I agree: a R-R (or L-L) hand hold forms a barrier between you and 'breaks' the connection I would normally be trying to maintain in blues. But this may be precisely the reason for using it in the first place - to create some contrast with the rest of the dance.

However, to keep the 'blues' feel, the first thing I would want to do is find a way to collect the hand that avoids creating it in the first place:

...A stalking walk into a wrap allows collection of the right, turning them out could end with the hand on the shoulder ready for the open out section.

...A dragging side-step would allow the right to travel accross the follower's body and their arm to catch the right, simply rotating while stepping behind them would allow the lead to take it ti the shoulder for the open out section.

...Looping the lead's right behind the follower's neck and then use the other hand to take the follower's right and transferr it would allow you to spin the follower out and end in a R-R. Move to the left of the follower as they come out of the turn they should stop beside you with the hand positioned for the open out section.

I think that it's this 'open out' (from a side-to side position with a R-R hold) into a 'bounce point' (ie. where movement changes direction) that makes a yo-yo a yo-yo: you can change anything outside of this and it's still a yo-yo or a derivative.
Change the entrance - why start with a step back? as long as your starting point is with the right arm folded and the follower beside you, it's a yo-yo.
Change the exit - why take them back to a block? Why rotate? What would happen if you did something else? I often lead a cattapult exit with the yo-yo start. Or a shoulder-drop exit.
Just add a more blusey entrance and exit and it's 'bluesd up' :waycool:

{BTW if you rotate into your own arm rather than open out, the follower's right ends up coming over your right shoulder and behind your neck where you can release it and collect the hip/back/shoulderblade into a basic blues position again (use left on follower's right hip) - I use this 'blues move' now & again as well.}

Yogi_Bear
14th-February-2007, 06:52 PM
With the follower directly infront of you, I agree: a R-R (or L-L) hand hold forms a barrier between you and 'breaks' the connection I would normally be trying to maintain in blues. But this may be precisely the reason for using it in the first place - to create some contrast with the rest of the dance.

However, to keep the 'blues' feel, the first thing I would want to do is find a way to collect the hand that avoids creating it in the first place:

...A stalking walk into a wrap allows collection of the right, turning them out could end with the hand on the shoulder ready for the open out section.

...A dragging side-step would allow the right to travel accross the follower's body and their arm to catch the right, simply rotating while stepping behind them would allow the lead to take it ti the shoulder for the open out section.

...Looping the lead's right behind the follower's neck and then use the other hand to take the follower's right and transferr it would allow you to spin the follower out and end in a R-R. Move to the left of the follower as they come out of the turn they should stop beside you with the hand positioned for the open out section.

I think that it's this 'open out' (from a side-to side position with a R-R hold) into a 'bounce point' (ie. where movement changes direction) that makes a yo-yo a yo-yo: you can change anything outside of this and it's still a yo-yo or a derivative.
Change the entrance - why start with a step back? as long as your starting point is with the right arm folded and the follower beside you, it's a yo-yo.
Change the exit - why take them back to a block? Why rotate? What would happen if you did something else? I often lead a cattapult exit with the yo-yo start. Or a shoulder-drop exit.
Just add a more blusey entrance and exit and it's 'bluesd up' :waycool:

{BTW if you rotate into your own arm rather than open out, the follower's right ends up coming over your right shoulder and behind your neck where you can release it and collect the hip/back/shoulderblade into a basic blues position again (use left on follower's right hip) - I use this 'blues move' now & again as well.}
Gadget, I have to take my hat off to you for giving this so much thought, I am impressed :cheers:

Gadget
15th-February-2007, 02:06 PM
erm... :confused:... this is how I dance :blush: not much thought required actually

Yogi_Bear
16th-February-2007, 12:05 AM
erm... :confused:... this is how I dance :blush: not much thought required actually
You are too modest....

MartinHarper
17th-February-2007, 03:23 AM
At one Lindy-based blues workshop I went to, we were told to physically connect with our chests/breasts, and keep our lower naughty bits seperated by a few inches. However, at MJ-based blues events, I find some women trying to connect to me through their whole body, including below the belt.

Is whole-body-connection correct in MJ-based blues?

Caro
17th-February-2007, 11:31 AM
At one Lindy-based blues workshop I went to, we were told to physically connect with our chests/breasts, and keep our lower naughty bits seperated by a few inches. However, at MJ-based blues events, I find some women trying to connect to me through their whole body, including below the belt.

I was taught (in an blues MJ workshop) the only bit that needs connecting (apart from the embrace) is the inside of the right knee... (it's actually sometimes easier with the outside (of the lead's right, inside of my left knee) though I find). Then it's up to the follow to decide how much of the rest of her body (thighs, chest, head) she wants to connect with the lead...

Astro
17th-February-2007, 03:15 PM
Then it's up to the follow to decide how much of the rest of her body (thighs, chest, head) she wants to connect with the lead...

Ah, question answered!

Yogi_Bear
17th-February-2007, 05:10 PM
I presume you never do a RH comb when Blues dancing then?

No, and if I did I wouldn't be having my right hand anywhere near my left shoulder anyway, if that is your point.

Gadget
17th-February-2007, 07:51 PM
as Caro said, I've seen it taught where the connection is with the upper thigh/knee, but my opinion is that it's up to the dancers - I've had some blues dances maintaing a fore-arm's distance and others where even the best credit card wouldn't be accepted. If you feel comfortable I would say that it's up to the follower how close they get.

If your upper torso is close, then it allows more AT style and footwork /movement.
If you are close from hips down it allows more arm-wavy style and from a MJ view, it allows moves to be led easier.
If you're not that interested in moving arround the dance floor or leading any moves (hey, it is blues after all ;)) then full body contact is perfect :D

StokeBloke
17th-February-2007, 08:12 PM
This style of dancing should be actively encouraged. It is proper blues dancing ladies... don't be foolish and let anyone try to dissuade you otherwise :devil: :devil: