PDA

View Full Version : Rock Nite?

Mythical
9th-February-2007, 11:34 AM
Any point in hoping? Is there one already?

Don't get me wrong, I'll attempt to dance to anything, I dance because I like to dance. But it'd be great to dance to some err...different music. Some good, old rock n roll, or some of the more mellow vintage rock stylings would just...err....rock as MJ tracks (I'd suggest Disturbed, Panterra and the like should stay at home, lest we get an outbreak of headbangeritis on the floor)

I realise this is like a niche within a niche, and you'd then have to have ceroc RnB nights and ceroc Garage nights, and so on and so forth, but I can't be the only rocker who likes to jive?

marty_baby
9th-February-2007, 11:43 AM
Any point in hoping? Is there one already?

Don't get me wrong, I'll attempt to dance to anything, I dance because I like to dance. But it'd be great to dance to some err...different music. Some good, old rock n roll, or some of the more mellow vintage rock stylings would just...err....rock as MJ tracks (I'd suggest Disturbed, Panterra and the like should stay at home, lest we get an outbreak of headbangeritis on the floor)

I realise this is like a niche within a niche, and you'd then have to have ceroc RnB nights and ceroc Garage nights, and so on and so forth, but I can't be the only rocker who likes to jive?

Funny you should mention that!

Bristol is going to give it bit of a go tonight!
http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1488.msg9247#msg9247

martin :o

CJ
9th-February-2007, 12:44 PM
FWIW, I think rock is a sadly under utilised genre in MJ.

I've kinda gone full circle... Rock is my thing and so, to avoid charges of playing what *I* like, I neglected it as a pool. Then, the Gla dancers started asking me for more and more guitar based music. This has led me to find some great tracks....

(Hmmm... Rock Me.... I wonder if I could play that:what: :rofl: )

As I've DJ'd more blues rooms, there is enormous space for gtr based blues rock: sexy, sleazy, emotional, expressive, rhythmic.... it's all there.

As I've become independant, I am playing with the idea of a gtr based music night: not necessarily all rock... Santana, Beck, etc... some blues, some rocky MJ, even some latin stuff.

Oh, whilst we are at it... Ich Will REALLY works:clap: :clap: :clap:

If you're looking for a good, experienced DJ who knows hos rock, let me know.... (and I'll think of someone:rofl: :rolleyes: )

:worthy:

Lou
9th-February-2007, 12:52 PM

If you're looking for a good, experienced DJ who knows hos rock, let me know.... (and I'll think of someone:rofl: :rolleyes: )
:love: I'll keep it in mind... :wink:

DianaS
9th-February-2007, 12:52 PM
:respect: Hey Mythical if your loooking for a rock chick look no futher! CJs set Saturday night was excellent - do you lead or follow?:wink:

Jamie
9th-February-2007, 01:02 PM
{snip stuff bout rock music}

:worthy:

Ich Will kicks ass to dance to!

Mythical
9th-February-2007, 02:12 PM
Ich Will? well I never! I'll have to pester the DJ in Coventry to give it a try!

How I wish I'd chosen to go to a university in Bristol....I'd be there for sure! as it is, I'm knackered even thinking about getting there!! (don't fancy waiting for a train at 2am!! lol Still, I hope it goes well - maybe it'll catch on, and there'll be one I CAN make it to sometime!

CJ
9th-February-2007, 05:34 PM
maybe it'll catch on, and there'll be one I CAN make it to sometime!

maybe... just maybe:whistle: :whistle: :D

Astro
9th-February-2007, 06:26 PM
FWIW, I think rock is a sadly under utilised genre in MJ.

As I've DJ'd more blues rooms, there is enormous space for gtr based blues rock: sexy, sleazy, emotional, expressive, rhythmic.... it's all there.

In London there has defo been a lot less rock played at ceroc venues last year. I had quite painful withdrawal symtoms.:(

I managed to substitute blues to fill in the lack of rock. Then I read that rock and blues are both 12 beats to the bar. Is this true?

DavidY
9th-February-2007, 08:04 PM
Then I read that rock and blues are both 12 beats to the bar. Is this true?I think it's more likely that they are both (often) made up of 12 bar phrases.

Nigel talked about this in one of his workshops at Southport.

The bars themselves are usually 4 beats, the music is structured in groups of 12 bars together.

Historically blues songs used a 12 bar structure, and many pop songs adopted the same structure.

There's probably a better explanation somewhere but see Wikipedia page on 12 bar blues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_bar_blues).

LittleSal
10th-February-2007, 01:54 AM
FWIW, I think rock is a sadly under utilised genre in MJ

As I've become independant, I am playing with the idea of a gtr based music night: not necessarily all rock... Santana, Beck, etc... some blues, some rocky MJ, even some latin stuff.
Sounds good to me C.J. :nice: would definitely give it a go!

Frankie_4711
10th-February-2007, 04:06 PM
We get very little rock music at the Ceroc venues down here in Kent - it's a real shame, coz there are some great tracks that are very danceable, and I personally would LOVE to hear a lot more.

CJ
10th-February-2007, 09:42 PM
Then I read that rock and blues are both 12 beats to the bar. Is this true?

It can be...

Somewhere else, I have poted this if someone knows how to Harperlink.

Ok, as such there are 4 beats to the bar.
In standard (disco) stuff, the beats are:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
This = 8 quavers, albeit 4 crotchets.

In blues, some rock and shuffle beat, we get:
1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a.
This = 12 quavers, albeit 4 crotchets.
:D

Confused yet?!?:confused:

So, that kind of music lends itself to triple steps more.
It basically is still 4 beats (or 2 jive beats) per bar: it just seperates into a different feel:
think "From Paris To Berlin"
think "Madison Blues", "Sick And Tired" or "Tush" and you'll get the feel.

I hope this helps.:flower:

Miguel
11th-February-2007, 12:47 AM
Could someone please post a short playlist of the danceable rock music they would like to hear. Thanks.

CJ
11th-February-2007, 03:48 AM
Could someone please post a short playlist of the danceable rock music they would like to hear. Thanks.

Should somone define "rock music"?

Astro
12th-February-2007, 05:22 PM
It can be...

Somewhere else, I have poted this if someone knows how to Harperlink.

It is post #3 on the "difficult music" thread. (DJ booth). Can't do a Harperlink. All double dutch to me, sorry.

It was on www.afterfive.co.uk (http://www.afterfive.co.uk) i noticed about the 12 bar connection with blues and rock. Also that website define's CEROC as French for - It's Rock'n Roll!
So why such a dearth?

Astro
12th-February-2007, 06:08 PM
Nigel talked about this in one of his workshops at Southport.

There's probably a better explanation somewhere but see Wikipedia page on 12 bar blues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_bar_blues).

Is there one on rock?
Harrods are hosting a Guinness book of records Axe Jam to "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple - purported to have the best guitar riffs.

Lee Bartholomew
12th-February-2007, 06:45 PM
Are they doing a "sack the DJ" thing at Storm?

Can we try and get a bit of time put by to play some indie / Rock / Emo / Alternative stuff?

I know I would be there if we could.

Paulthetrainer
13th-February-2007, 12:45 AM
We get very little rock music at the Ceroc venues down here in Kent - it's a real shame, coz there are some great tracks that are very danceable, and I personally would LOVE to hear a lot more.

:clap:yes, me too. Wouldn't like to say exactly what though. I'll leave that to the experts.

SeriouslyAddicted
13th-February-2007, 09:31 AM

:clap:yes, me too. Wouldn't like to say exactly what though. I'll leave that to the experts.

You guys need to come to High Rocks. There was loads of rock music last week and hoping for more of the same tonight :D

CJ
13th-February-2007, 09:40 AM
OK, just to keep you in the loop...

Am looking at doing a guitar driven night: well, THREE actually:waycool:

One in Central Scotland
One in W. Mids
One further south, further east somewhere..

Shall let you know how it progresses... Am really looking forward to this...

jacksondonut
14th-February-2007, 04:45 PM
What a brilliant idea. Looking forward to this one!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

.. *thinks back to those rock-chick daze (oops sorry days..) leather, chains, bikes, music, guitars.. etc.,...:drool:

Astro
17th-February-2007, 03:31 PM
The Harrods jam has been cancelled due to noise complaints from the neighbours about other rock events they have hosted this week.

Is rock having a revival?

Plus loads of rock(relatively speaking) played at Fulham on Thursday night. :nice:

Frankie_4711
18th-February-2007, 12:31 AM
... Snip ...
... Snip ...

How about as far South East as you can get ... COME TO KENT!

Mythical
19th-February-2007, 11:25 AM
OOH! I'll be doing all I can to get to at least the one in the w.midlands!!

Is it too early for requests???
I'd like to dance to:
Tush, by ZZtop,
Ace of Spades, by Motorhead:devil: :worthy: (and :worthy: to anyone who can lead that)
CatScratch Fever......by....err....dunno, but that song!! :D
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana

...even...play just one, pretty please!:flower: :flower:

clevedonboy
19th-February-2007, 12:26 PM
Ace of Spades, by Motorhead:devil: :worthy: (and :worthy: to anyone who can lead that)

Blimey I'd love to see someone give that a go - suicidaly fast. i'd be pressed to keep my Balboa steps going (you could cheat I suppose & dance half speed)

Texas Gun Lobbyist & Homophobe - Ted Nugent (I do like the song though) There is a cover by Motorhead as well - Lemmy's vocals are great but the guitar just ain't the same

Lee Bartholomew
19th-February-2007, 12:29 PM
How about as far South East as you can get ... COME TO KENT!

wouldn't it be east sussex?

CJ
19th-February-2007, 03:31 PM
OOH! I'll be doing all I can to get to at least the one in the w.midlands!!

Is it too early for requests???
I'd like to dance to:
Tush, by ZZtop,
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana

...even...play just one, pretty please!:flower: :flower:

Am thinking that "Cat Scratch Fever" is a Ted Nugent song.
After a request in Gla, "Tush" became a regular track for me.
"Ace of Spades"?!? I think the actual jive beat is at a reasonable tempo, but I'll check it when I get home. 3 1/2 thousand songs on my iPod and "Ace of Spades" isn't one of them!!!:eek:

Mythical
19th-February-2007, 03:39 PM
3 1/2 thousand songs on my iPod and "Ace of Spades" isn't one of them!!!:eek:

:eek: What sort of a DJ ARE you??????????????????????
(Not that I'd know....I'm sure you do a better job or it than I would!)

And whilst I'm at it, can I also suggest "Mr Brownstone" by Guns n Roses. Purely for the line "I used to do a little but a little wouldn't do it so the little got more and more, I just keep tryin to get a little better, said a little better than before" I think that applies to about everyone here! It's good to dance to songs that mean something!!:D

fletch
19th-February-2007, 03:41 PM
OK, just to keep you in the loop...

Am looking at doing a guitar driven night: well, THREE actually:waycool:

One in Central Scotland
One in W. Mids

Shall let you know how it progresses... Am really looking forward to this...

I understan it might be at Bromsgrove? I was told you wanted all guitar? so does that me no lyrics?:confused: I think most people find it hard enough me singing down there ear,:eek: with no words to sing I will be chatting to them all the way through,:waycool: mmmm not sure which is worst :na:

I will be there :flower:

CJ
19th-February-2007, 03:42 PM
:eek: What sort of a DJ ARE you??????????????????????

One that plays from a CD collection.:flower:

Mythical
19th-February-2007, 03:45 PM
oh thank gods!
For a moment there, I thought you were limited to 3.5 thousand songs ;)

CJ
19th-February-2007, 03:52 PM
I understan it might be at Bromsgrove? I was told you wanted all guitar? so does that me no lyrics?:confused: I think most people find it hard enough me singing down there ear,:eek: with no words to sing I will be chatting to them all the way through,:waycool: mmmm not sure which is worst :na:

I will be there :flower:

:rofl: The only thing I remember was U screaming in my ear after your icey encounter!!:rofl:

The idea is to play guitar driven music.

Rock, Blues, Latin, R'n'R.

Stray Cat Strut would count.
Samba Pa Ti would count.
Ich Will would count.
House of Broken Love would count.
Peggy Sue would count.
The Kids Wanna Rock would count.
Green Onions would count
Sweet Child O' Mine would count.
Flor D'Luna would count.
etc, etc, etc....
The mix on the night would be dependant on who's there and the vibe in the room, etc....

Yes, I think it would be special if Bromsgrove were the first night hosts.:clap:

fletch
19th-February-2007, 03:57 PM
:rofl: The only thing I remember was U screaming in my ear after your icey encounter!!:rofl:

Yes, I think it would be special if Bromsgrove were the first night hosts.:clap:

I can do screaming no problem :D

every one is talking about you at Bromsgove,:respect: Phil and Yuko were there yesterday :worthy:

LittleSal
20th-February-2007, 02:06 AM
The idea is to play guitar driven music.

Rock, Blues, Latin, R'n'R.

Stray Cat Strut would count.
Samba Pa Ti would count.
Ich Will would count.
House of Broken Love would count.
Peggy Sue would count.
The Kids Wanna Rock would count.
Green Onions would count
Sweet Child O' Mine would count.
Flor D'Luna would count.
etc, etc, etc....:D :D :D
The mix on the night would be dependant on who's there and the vibe in the room, etc....:yeah: :nice:

Hope Rock Me will count!:cool: could be here all night with suggestions...:wink:
Make Scottish one soon CJ.........!

Astro
24th-February-2007, 09:00 PM
Hope Rock Me will count!:cool: could be here all night with suggestions...:wink:

Hot Patootie (bless my soul) - Meatloaf. Would that count?

CJ
12th-March-2007, 12:02 PM
OK, guys...

It looks like it's happening.

Am trying not to plug things, but to provide info to people who are interested...

Midlands will have half an evening of gtr driven music, soon.

Peterborough area will have a dedicated night, very shortly after that.

Scotland is soon to be aving 2 freestyle nights per month, on weekdays, under the "Mariachi" banner.

I hope this helps...

fletch
12th-March-2007, 12:25 PM
OK, guys...

It looks like it's happening.

Am trying not to plug things, but to provide info to people who are interested...

Midlands will have half an evening of gtr driven music, soon.

Peterborough area will have a dedicated night, very shortly after that.

Scotland is soon to be aving 2 freestyle nights per month, on weekdays, under the "Mariachi" banner.

I hope this helps...

any news on Bromsgrove yet :confused:

:flower:

CJ
12th-March-2007, 12:55 PM
any news on Bromsgrove yet :confused:

April 29th: half the evening will be resident DJs, half the night will be "Mariachi". Should be a great night...

fletch
12th-March-2007, 01:15 PM
April 29th: half the evening will be resident DJs, half the night will be "Mariachi". Should be a great night...

I have penciled it in :flower:

Jamie
12th-March-2007, 01:23 PM
Sounds good, I wanna come!! :grin:

fletch
12th-March-2007, 01:28 PM
Sounds good, I wanna come!! :grin:

OK we will get the 'FletchMobile' out and make a party of it :clap:

Are you ready for us CJ :whistle:

Jamie
12th-March-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh bugger, just seen 29th April... I'm in Camber! I'll have to come to a Southern one or a Scottish one :sad:

fletch
12th-March-2007, 01:31 PM
Oh bugger, just seen 29th April... I'm in Camber! I'll have to come to a Southern one or a Scottish one :sad:

Camber? :confused:

I'v just looked i'm in London for the Champs on the 30th :blush:

Yliander
12th-March-2007, 01:43 PM
Camber? :confused:

I thought the Champs were on the 6th May????

FoxyFunkster
12th-March-2007, 01:47 PM
I thought the Champs were on the 6th May????

20th april Ceroc chill in prestatyn
27th april **** In camber
6th may Ceroc champs
11th may ceroc Blaze....

what an amazing 4 weekends to be had.........

David Bailey
12th-March-2007, 01:48 PM

Champs are definitely on the 6th - I've made that mistake myself, so I know how easy it is to do... :blush:

CJ
12th-March-2007, 02:24 PM

The Champs dates sorted, but FYI:

Sat 12th May: Mariachi: 8.00-01.30
Victoria Hall, 39 High St, Oakham, Rutland LE15 6AH

I hope this helps, honeybun!! And yes, there will be LOTS of expressive music, Jamie!!!!:wink:

fletch
12th-March-2007, 02:26 PM

I hope this helps, honeybun!! And yes, there will be LOTS of expressive music, Jamie!!!!:wink:

better stick to Rutland, i'm not sure Bromsgrove are ready for you in 'tampx extra plus mode' :rofl:

Jamie
12th-March-2007, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the info. Yay expressive music! :clap:

jive-vee
12th-March-2007, 03:19 PM
Oooh how about coming down to the South West and bringing with you lots of Kings of Leon, Gomez, Coheed & Cambria (The Suffering or Devil in Jersey City may work) maybe some Bloc Party (Two more years).

Loving the thought of a night like this and if I had a car and knew there'd be like minded people to dance with I definitely travel wherever.

:respect:

jive-vee
12th-March-2007, 03:22 PM
Ooh and Beck - Nausea, Sexx Laws, Devil's Haircut - any of those would be ace.

CJ
23rd-May-2007, 11:26 PM
Did anything come of Lou's rock night?

What/where is High Rocks??

bigdjiver
24th-May-2007, 01:52 AM
If anyone wants a real rock / rockabilly nite, as in vinyl rock, Dave Archer is one DJ to consider. He has been a DJ since he was in his teens.

Lou
24th-May-2007, 08:15 AM
Did anything come of Lou's rock night?
Would still love to do one, but wedding plans and moving house are taking up all my time right now. :)