PDA

View Full Version : Archiespins - travelling and slow and reverse

robd
7th-February-2007, 09:45 PM
CeeCee, look away now, this will not interest you :D

I guess this is the right sub-forum for this even though IC only seems to be read by about 3 people and an unusually literate dog.

1 - Travelling (change of places) Archiespin
Is this now the standard for this move when taught in Ceroc classes? Indeed, has it always been so? Certainly this is the way it was taught at Pboro this way 2 weeks ago and Sparkles told me it was taught at Bow on Monday. If it has changed, I have to say I find it hard to understand. It seems much harder to me to lead what is necessary for the change of places (a forward motion) plus the lead for the archie part that we all know and some love. It is much simpler to do it pretty much on the spot, not least because it doesn't lead to lazy men expecting the follower to do all the travelling in order to change places.

2 - Slow Archiespin
A current favourite move but am working on the best ways to lead it other than saying 'SLOWLY' to my follower as I turn her palm to the ceiling. Squeezing the followers hand a little more firmly than usual certainly gives an indication to the follower that something unusual is about to happen and helped me lead it on some followers last night but not all (thanks to Tessalicious for that tip). Anyone else have any tips to stop the follower going into auto pilot and completing the archiespin in one beat? Of course I could use excessive force to dictate the speed of the archie but am not willing to do so.

3 - Reverse Archiespin
Another I have been experimenting with on faster tracks is what I would class a reverse archie - start archie as usual taking follower's palm upwards to face ceiling but instead of stopping and reversing direction for a normal archie I continue taking their RH up and around so they turn ACW whilst I turn CW. This is working sometimes and not other times partly, I guess as it's unexpected and partly, I guess as the follower is likely to be forward on their RF but I am expecting them to turn ACW which seems wrong. Anyone else use this move? Any hints on making it work better?

Phew, that's enough archie-talk for now!

Sparkles
7th-February-2007, 09:50 PM
2 - Slow Archiespin
Anyone else have any tips to stop the follower going into auto pilot and completing the archiespin in one beat?

As you turn under use your shoulder to block her, deliberately making contact with her shoulder - that should give her an indication to slow down, as she won't be able to race through the move without bumping into you, you can then control the speed of the archie by rolling her around your back at your desired speed.
Taking the hand up fast to begin with and then slower over your head (with a slightly stronger-than-normal grip) should also give her the idea.

:flower:

spindr
8th-February-2007, 01:02 AM
I use a reverse archie spin, but "roll into it" from a previous turn.
For a left-to-right (non-travelling) reverse archie spin, I will lead an anti-clockwise turn (return) and keep the momentum, bringing the hands down, through to the right, and then back up. The great thing is that this move can be led *any* time that you would normally lead a return with a left-to-right handhold :) You don't need to signal the move, but you need to keep a really light handhold -- and be prepared to let go.

For the right-to-left version, I will lead a clockwise turn (top-turn) and keep the momentum, bringing the hands down, through to the left, and then back up.

There's also a right-to-left travelling archie spin-like move, called a bananarama (sp?) -- where the follower changes sides past your left side.

SpinDr

P.S. The signal isn't really necessary for an archie spin -- it's just a lazy way to get you to "prep".

Kev F
8th-February-2007, 09:26 AM
2 - Slow Archiespin
A current favourite move but am working on the best ways to lead it other than saying 'SLOWLY' to my follower as I turn her palm to the ceiling. Squeezing the followers hand a little more firmly than usual certainly gives an indication to the follower that something unusual is about to happen and helped me lead it on some followers last night but not all (thanks to Tessalicious for that tip). Anyone else have any tips to stop the follower going into auto pilot and completing the archiespin in one beat? Of course I could use excessive force to dictate the speed of the archie but am not willing to do so.

Try leading as normal, but hold the followers other hand to stop her accelerating and let go at the relevant point.

The turns can also be made considerably easier by letting her go first and locking in immediately behind her, like a cog, so that you do a slight tandem turn. Locking in slightly behind will give you both more room, as the width of you both shoulder to shoulder will stretch the hand connection.

But hopefully the visual lead of you turning slower may be enough. :waycool:

David Bailey
8th-February-2007, 09:28 AM
There's also a right-to-left travelling archie spin-like move, called a bananarama (sp?) -- where the follower changes sides past your left side.
You know, I'm probably going to burn for this, but I've been playing with something like this occasionally recently.

It's not an Archiespin, it's more like what you'd call an unnatural turn in Cuban salsa (which is where I nicked it from) - basically thr girl turns ACW and I turn CW. For example, on the "step out / back" bit of the first move, simply continue the girl's motion so she does a full turn.

Note the important bit: there's no handhold.

So all the awkward bit about the archie "spin" (how can it be a spin with a handhold?) is removed.

It's quite nice because it's an unusual move - both in MJ and salsa - quite simple, but requires good lead and follow technique to work well.

So that's a "bananarama" then? Hmmm, I have knowledge :D

Trousers
8th-February-2007, 10:25 AM
2 - Slow Archiespin
3 - Reverse Archiespin

Anyone else use this move? Any hints on making it work better?

I like the Archie - two single handed catapults followed straight away by an archie can feel very rock n roll. Slap on a return and a double handed handed archie straight into Teapot walkaround and it feels like christmas.

But if the girl doesn't move (come when I pull her that is) the archie is a bag of spanners - It has to be a travelling move.
The reverse archie for some reason never travels! But I will on occaision try it.

One of my "behave" moves (that I throw in if a lady starts to get pre-emptive) is a double handed archie straight into a double handed flick spin - Ha! pre-empt that I dare you!!

tsh
8th-February-2007, 11:06 AM
It's not a move I use often, being too easy to get badly wrong. I think there were two variations used in the jive classes at southport (2 handed and some right handed thing) both as travelling moves. I think the travel does seem to help with the flow, making it into more of a step turn than a spin. Maybe it makes the move easier to lead, which would explain why i's been adopted for the new way.

TurboTomato
8th-February-2007, 11:13 AM
Is this now the standard for this move when taught in Ceroc classes? Indeed, has it always been so? Certainly this is the way it was taught at Pboro this way 2 weeks ago and Sparkles told me it was taught at Bow on Monday. If it has changed, I have to say I find it hard to understand. It seems much harder to me to lead what is necessary for the change of places (a forward motion) plus the lead for the archie part that we all know and some love. It is much simpler to do it pretty much on the spot, not least because it doesn't lead to lazy men expecting the follower to do all the travelling in order to change places.

We did exactly this in our intermediate class at Southborough last night.

Dan Hudson
11th-February-2007, 10:55 AM
I have just checked my notes... :blush:

its is a Ceroc 'Classic' move. and it is definately travelling....

RobD, maybe you should get your miserable butt to Bow and see it done!! :rofl:

robd
11th-February-2007, 05:02 PM
RobD, maybe you should get your miserable butt to Bow and see it done!! :rofl:

No worries. I have the best feature of a Bow night with me for more than just a Monday evening :D

I would like to hear Taz's DJing though :flower: so maybe if I get an invite and a place to stay for the evening I might be able to make it along. A comedy club should be an appropriate setting for my dancing :grin:

Rhythm King
11th-February-2007, 08:09 PM
Certainly when I first learned the Archie Spin it was always taught as a travelling move. We were also taught a move called the Reverse Archie Spin, which involved a normal Archie, Lead's left to Follow's right, then as you finished, place the Follower's right into your right, sweeping it up in a circular motion and turning yourself clockwise and Follower anti-clockwise to finish.