PDA

View Full Version : Vista Security!

Franck
7th-February-2007, 02:47 PM
Following on Bill Gates claiming that Vista was the safest operating system ever released (I think he meant safest Windows OS ever released :rolleyes: ) you have to love the Apple advert about Vista security:

visit the 'Get a mac' webpage (http://www.apple.com/getamac) to see the new ad (and all the other works of genius), or download the ad below!

StokeBloke
7th-February-2007, 02:55 PM
Following on Bill Gates claiming that Vista was the safest operating system ever released (I think he meant safest Windows OS ever released :rolleyes: ) you have to love the Apple advert about Vista security:

visit the 'Get a mac' webpage (http://www.apple.com/getamac) to see the new ad (and all the other works of genius), or download the ad below!
I NEED ONE OF THOSE PC MEN THINGIES...

You are about to do yet another yo-yo: cancel or allow? :whistle:

ducasi
7th-February-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah, saw this ad last night – classic stuff.

Feel sorry for those people who either through ignorance or compulsion will have to put up with Vista.

Dreadful Scathe
7th-February-2007, 03:18 PM

:rofl: brilliant. You are coming to a sad realisation - cancel or allow :)

Its not a coincidence they look like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs ;)

Got to say I'm almost looking forward to Vista ? Why? because its going to be so restrictive and is so expensive - hordes of people are going to move to Mac and Linux. The only real reason for using Vista is DirectX 10, there really needs to be a strong alternative to that for other OS's :(

Dreadful Scathe
7th-February-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, saw this ad last night – classic stuff.

Feel sorry for those people who either through ignorance or compulsion will have to put up with Vista.

The way Vista will get the new customers and keep windows dominant is through corporate or program necessity or forced install at point of purchase :) Use it OR ELSE!

killingtime
7th-February-2007, 03:23 PM

I liked it. I'm not convinced about the Vista security model. It seems too security through obscurity for my liking... "nothing may see the kernel" because obviously viruses aren't going to find a work around and then the only thing that can't see into the kernel is your virus protection :rolleyes:.

I thought moving to a BSD core was one of the best moves Apple made.

killingtime
7th-February-2007, 03:30 PM
The only real reason for using Vista is DirectX 10, there really needs to be a strong alternative to that for other OS's :(

That was one of two reasons for me. The other was actually using my 64bit system in a non-32bit runtime but since that I can't upgrade to that (http://gary-stewart.blogspot.com/2007/01/windows-vista.html) then I don't think I'll bother.

ducasi
7th-February-2007, 03:54 PM
That was one of two reasons for me. The other was actually using my 64bit system in a non-32bit runtime but since that I can't upgrade to that (http://gary-stewart.blogspot.com/2007/01/windows-vista.html) then I don't think I'll bother.
Does this help (http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/2/6/6932)?

Beowulf
7th-February-2007, 03:56 PM
Sadly.. I'm a PC guy through and through.. I do love the Mac adverts though! so cool.

But all our clients who buy our software are PC and use handheld data collectors which are essentially rugged pocket PC's with "extra bits" .. so we're sort of tied to the whole Gates monopoly I'm afraid.

I do have a linux box at home.. it was being used as a server for my Hamster Cam .. but it's "offline" (i.e. broken) at the moment :)

killingtime
7th-February-2007, 04:00 PM
Does this help (http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/2/6/6932)?

Nah, I own a valid copy of Windows. I suppose I could install an illegal copy of Windows XP Professional 64 bit edition just to replace that with a 64 bit Vista if that is what you are getting at. I'd prefer to tell MS to go stick it though if they are just making it so damn difficult to install the thing in the first place.

EDIT: Read the article (properly this time). Yeah, that would get around it. Still not convinced that exploiting loopholes is the way to install an OS though :D.

Lee Bartholomew
7th-February-2007, 04:38 PM
Have vista disk sitting on my desk. :whistle:

Will install it and let you all know what I think once my extra 1gig memory turns up :what:

Dreadful Scathe
7th-February-2007, 05:22 PM
got a beta of Vista last year and couldn't be bothered trying it - its probably expired now. If I want to upgrade my games PC to take advantage of DirectX 10 it costs £198 for Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. £200 for an operating system to run programs on. How can they justify that ? (and thats from ebuyer, i've heard its more expensive elsewhere) . The ironic thing is ebuyer are advertising Vista ready desktop PCs from £249.99 - only £50 more :)

DavidY
8th-February-2007, 12:21 AM
visit the 'Get a mac' webpage (http://www.apple.com/getamac) to see the new ad (and all the other works of genius), or download the ad below!They're all American adverts though - I prefer the Mitchell and Webb ones (http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/) for the UK...

Beowulf
8th-February-2007, 09:47 AM
The more I read up about Macs the more I think "Ooooh I'd like one" but what would I do with it? I'm too set in my ways I'm afraid and too much of what I do is tied up with Windows OS's :tears:

I feel like the soldier being left behind in one of those clichéd scene's in a war movie.

"Cough.. no I'm done for.. go on without me .. cough.. I'll hold them off as long as I can.. cough.. send my regards to Twirly, tell her.. cough wheeze.. tell her I fought bravely .. but cough... the Windows OS was just too powerful.. cough gasp.... Now go before I change my mind.." :wink:

ducasi
8th-February-2007, 10:00 AM
A good route for the PC-afflicted is to buy a KVM and a Mac mini – dead cheap, uses your existing keyboard, mouse and screen, and if you don't like it, you can install Linux or Windows on it and use it for something else.

Alternatively, buy a Mac laptop for reading email and browsing the web from your sofa or in bed.

You may find you eventually spend more time on the Mac than on your PC. :)

StokeBloke
9th-February-2007, 10:05 PM
It never takes long for the spoofs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQECwm3erEs&NR) to apear. There are a few, I just love the upgrade one... :D

[NSFW: WARNING SOME OF THESE CONTAIN THE F**K WORD]

Mostlysane
13th-February-2007, 10:39 AM
got a beta of Vista last year and couldn't be bothered trying it - its probably expired now. If I want to upgrade my games PC to take advantage of DirectX 10 it costs £198 for Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. £200 for an operating system to run programs on. How can they justify that ? (and thats from ebuyer, i've heard its more expensive elsewhere) . The ironic thing is ebuyer are advertising Vista ready desktop PCs from £249.99 - only £50 more :)

And it's nearly twice the price as if you bought it in the states. £200 here $200 in the us. We're being ripped off with the price. It's the only reason i've not looked at it yet. Sadly, we're going to end up having to use it in a few years.

Dreadful Scathe
13th-February-2007, 11:16 AM
noticed you can get vista home premium for £134 its for the "upgrade" version but it can be used for a full install too - see here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/12/cheap_vista_for_everyone/)

still not cheap though, its only an operating system after all :)

Lynn
14th-February-2007, 02:15 AM
My new laptop is supposed to be Vista 'ready' - should I download it and how do I? Is it Ok and easy to use? Will it mess up my settings?

(No 'Mac is better' comments please, I don't have a Mac, I'm not about to buy a Mac, I'm quite happy with what I have, even if I'm some deluded fool who hasn't 'seen the light' yet.)

pmjd
14th-February-2007, 02:34 AM
If your laptop is marked as "Vista ready" then it means it meets the hardware requirements to run Vista.

Unless your laptop came with a voucher that entitles you to a free upgrade to Vista you'll have to cough up a fair bit of cash for it:really:. I wouldn't upgrade straight away and unless you need to do something that requires you to use Vista I wouldn't bother with it. Most reviews I've read seem to be a case of better than Windows XP but not by much and not worth the money.

Disclaimer: I haven't used it myself so can't really say too much about it and I do own a Mac but I haven't got religious about it yet:wink:

Dreadful Scathe
14th-February-2007, 08:56 AM
My new laptop is supposed to be Vista 'ready' - should I download it and how do I? Is it Ok and easy to use? Will it mess up my settings?

DO NOT INSTALL VISTA :) - you don't need it and it wont become common until 2008. THe only real reason for installing it now is for DirectX10 if you play a lot of games - and even then Vista has driver issues with all your current games and pure DirectX10 games are still very rare.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-February-2007, 09:05 AM
As an extra I would liken "Vista Ready" labels akin to "Double Glazing Ready. Please fleece me" signs on your front door :)

spindr
14th-February-2007, 09:16 AM
Check that all your apps are also Vista ready, e.g. iTunes?

SpinDr

Wuzzle
14th-February-2007, 10:04 AM
I wouldnt put an ipod near vista. Does wonderful things to them at the moment :rolleyes: Less course apple has sorted it out the kinks. Might want to check online about that.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/02/06/apple_vista_ipod_threat/

Anyhow vista is somewhat a challege security wise.

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/virus_news/2007/02_01_FEB_ISSUE.xml

Lynn
14th-February-2007, 10:34 AM
DO NOT INSTALL VISTA :) - you don't need it and it wont become common until 2008. THe only real reason for installing it now is for DirectX10 if you play a lot of games - and even then Vista has driver issues with all your current games and pure DirectX10 games are still very rare.Apparently all laptops you now buy have it installed already though. I'm getting hassle from someone who says if I don't installed it now, I'll lose the option to do so in the 'free upgrade' option and will have to pay for it. He thinks its something everyone will have and I'll miss out.

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 10:39 AM
Apparently all laptops you now buy have it installed already though. I'm getting hassle from someone who says if I don't installed it now, I'll lose the option to do so in the 'free upgrade' option and will have to pay for it. He thinks its something everyone will have and I'll miss out.
He's talking rubbish. It's not life-changing, it's just a new version of Windows. It's highly unlikely you'll miss out on much, at least for the next couple of years, by not upgrading.

There's almost never a reason to pay to upgrade the OS - it's usually better just to wait until you get a new machine, I think. And the rate the prices are coming down, in a couple of years' time, they'll be giving laptops away free with cereal packets.

OTOH, if you've got a chance to upgrade for free now, that's worth considering - but it depends on the spec of your machine; you'll always need a new machine to run a new OS, as a rule-of-thumb.

ducasi
14th-February-2007, 10:49 AM
Apparently all laptops you now buy have it installed already though. I'm getting hassle from someone who says if I don't installed it now, I'll lose the option to do so in the 'free upgrade' option and will have to pay for it. He thinks its something everyone will have and I'll miss out.
Why would you need to "install it now" to get the free upgrade now? If it really is free, get them to send you a disk and stick it in the back of a cupboard until you really need it.

Oh, and not all laptops have it installed already. We (at work) just bought three new HP laptops which came with Windows XP on them. (Ideally, we'd have got them with no OS installed, but despite Microsoft losing the anti-trust case years back, they still don't let their OEMs do that.)

Lynn
14th-February-2007, 11:02 AM
Why would you need to "install it now" to get the free upgrade now? If it really is free, get them to send you a disk and stick it in the back of a cupboard until you really need it. I did think of that, will take a look at the site and see what the options are.

Another option might be to download and save to disc to install later?

Dreadful Scathe
14th-February-2007, 11:24 AM
I did think of that, will take a look at the site and see what the options are.

or take an image (copy) of your machine as it is now

install vista and image that

restore original image of xp

keep vista image until you want to use it - it will make your machine slower and has no specific use at the moment

ducasi
14th-February-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm fairly sure that if it is a download, you'd still need to write it onto a disk before you could install it. So, yeah, get them to send you a disk, or download it and write it onto a disk. Then put the disk at the back of a cupboard until you really need it. :)

Lynn
14th-February-2007, 01:17 PM
or take an image (copy) of your machine as it is now

install vista and image that

restore original image of xp

keep vista image until you want to use it - it will make your machine slower and has no specific use at the moment

Back in blonde mode - how do I take an image?

Dreadful Scathe
14th-February-2007, 02:21 PM
Back in blonde mode - how do I take an image?
ah thatd be software - norton ghost or drive image are good bets - actually fairly easy to do, but i would need to send you the software. I have a cover disc version of drive image ill look up if you want to do this - are you going to go ahead with vista ?

ducasi
14th-February-2007, 04:15 PM
While imaging disks is useful and fun, I don't think it's appropriate in Lynn's circumstances – will she have some where to save the resultant image files? Don't think so...

Lynn
14th-February-2007, 04:35 PM
Sorry guys, I'm lost! :tears:

pmjd
14th-February-2007, 04:56 PM
An image is a snapshot of all the info on your computer. You store it somewhere safe and if something goes wrong with windows or the hard drive on your computer fails and disaster strikes you can put the image back on your computer and return it to the way it was when the image was taken.

It's quicker than reinstalling every program from scratch. Have noticed that itunes doesn't work on vista yet, so if you use it you may want to wait for a newer version of itunes that should be out in a week or two that will work on vista.

ducasi
14th-February-2007, 05:04 PM
Sorry Lynn. :flower:

Thanks PMJD for the explanation. :)

The image file is initially the size of your hard disk, though it can then be compressed. Typically it would be too large to fit on a DVD, though I guess if the imaging software supports it, it might fit on two, or a dual layer one.

Either way, creating a image is a time-consuming process, and restoring one is not a simple task either.

Dreadful Scathe
16th-February-2007, 09:09 AM
imaging is not difficult, in fact new ACER laptops usually automatically image as soon as you first switch them on, so Lynn may already have an image DVD. Norton Ghost is easy to use and the DVD you boot off will give you the option of overwriting your current install with the image. Fairly simple.

Lynn
16th-February-2007, 11:00 AM
imaging is not difficult, in fact new ACER laptops usually automatically image as soon as you first switch them on, so Lynn may already have an image DVD. Norton Ghost is easy to use and the DVD you boot off will give you the option of overwriting your current install with the image. Fairly simple.Yep - there is Acer software that prompted me to do this right at the start - only required 2 DVDs. But I have lots of questions - can I do this again now with the same software? What effect does this have on all my files, email account settings etc. How do I boot off a DVD if need to? The one I did at the start was for (I guess) an emergency if everything crashes. This is a little different.

straycat
16th-February-2007, 11:02 AM

Well - anyone thinking about upgrading to Vista would probably do very well to read this review (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/14/pricey_beta_bugger/) first (and probably a load of other reviews)

Lynn
16th-February-2007, 11:09 AM
Well - anyone thinking about upgrading to Vista would probably do very well to read this review (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/14/pricey_beta_bugger/) first (and probably a load of other reviews)I might not understand everything the reviews say. So I thought I would ask here instead as much wiser people can advise me.

Just being blonde I know. :rolleyes:

Anyone got any more reviews I can read?

Dreadful Scathe
20th-February-2007, 09:55 AM
Yep - there is Acer software that prompted me to do this right at the start - only required 2 DVDs. But I have lots of questions - can I do this again now with the same software? What effect does this have on all my files, email account settings etc. How do I boot off a DVD if need to? The one I did at the start was for (I guess) an emergency if everything crashes. This is a little different.

Yes indeed it is. Your ACER restore DVDs will recover everything to its state on install, simply by booting off the first DVD. Which means you always have a backup but you will, as you say, lose anything you've installed after that.

If you are using Thunderbird for email that there are just 2 folders you need to backup to restore all settings and emails (and if you use Portable Thunderbird (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable) just one folder) not sure about backing up Outlook or Outlook Express as I've never used it (I'm sure the only reason people ever DID use the nasty inbuilt windows software is because they didn't know there were alternatives).

Something like Norton Ghost will create a boot DVD for you and allow you to backup at anytime - Ill have a look but I'm behind in my "send you this" quota for people so bare with me :) ;)

Lynn
21st-February-2007, 12:41 AM
I was asking myself the other day if there was any good reason that I should get Vista. My XP is perfectly OK as it is. Why put myself through bother and hassle just because some people say its the 'next thing you must have'? I think I'll just stick with what I have.

...so bare with me :) ;)Sounds a bit kinky! :really: :wink:

WittyBird
21st-February-2007, 01:21 AM
I might not understand everything the reviews say. So I thought I would ask here instead as much wiser people can advise me.

Anyone got any more reviews I can read?

That makes no sense at all