PDA

View Full Version : Berkhamsted 10 February

JiveLad
22nd-January-2007, 05:26 PM
Its not just dips, aerials that are the problem on a busy floor. You also have the flouncy dancers, the dancers that shove their elbows out and do flamboyant hand movements whilst hitting and shoving you in the body in someway. Last night at Berko ( i must say a lovely venue ruined by being packed to the hilt as usual) i was quite literally trodden on, elbowed and shoved 9 times. They also had the usual ignorant ass's doing the drops but i thankfully didn't see any aerials. Aerials are never appropriate on a dance floor busy or not they should be saved for competitions full stop. Most people think SHOW OFF anyway. :D :D

Hi Trouble - I hope you don't mind me using your quote as the starting point for a new thread - but I wanted to get some more views on Berko.

Berko is becoming a bit of a curates egg: I posted quite a long rant on my (mildly entertaining) blog about this today.

There was right at the end, the sight of someone with partner on shoulders being walked around) - which was a bit dangerous. Anyway - I felt there were a number of other issues (eg. music related) as well as sheer overcrowding (and massive gender imbalance).

I was a bit of an evangelist for Berko - and now the ladies who have come there on my rec. have been mightily disappointed...........:sick:

Anyway - the Blues Room is a positive!

Any other views?

Yogi_Bear
5th-February-2007, 12:29 AM
Anyone going? Is it going to be a good night?

Dai
5th-February-2007, 01:24 AM
Not going to Berko - deffinately not in a hurry - not after all the refusers there - most unfriendly venue i have ever been to.

Small room, packed dance floor - when i did get a dance we got trampled on, hot stuffy little blues room - not an experience i wish to repeat any time soon.

Sorry

stewart38
5th-February-2007, 02:24 PM
Not going to Berko - deffinately not in a hurry - not after all the refusers there - most unfriendly venue i have ever been to.

Small room, packed dance floor - when i did get a dance we got trampled on, hot stuffy little blues room - not an experience i wish to repeat any time soon.

Sorry

Give it a rest , some women dont like to dance with women period

Its not the venue

Icey
5th-February-2007, 02:29 PM

Mr Darcy and I ... probably :nice:

Dai, I did meet you in passing one evening and noted that you danced with girls alot but didn't get a chance to ask. Hopefully next time.

David Bailey
5th-February-2007, 02:45 PM
:confused: I've not found it so - about average I'd say. Nothing like as snooty as Fulham or Hammersmith, in my experience - I've never been refused a dance at Berko, anyway, and I'm not a regular there.

In fact, Berko salsa is the most friendly salsa venue I've ever seen - admittedly that's a low bar to reach - so I doubt it's the area.

Small room, packed dance floor - when i did get a dance we got trampled on
Yeah, it's true it can get packed - it's a victim of its own success, I think.

, hot stuffy little blues room
Is there any other sort? :)

Seriously, Berko's the best regular freestyle I know of, with great music - Marc and Latin Ian, what more could you want?

It's crowded, and the floor quality's pretty poor in the Blues Room, but it's way better than most.

not an experience i wish to repeat any time soon.
So that's a "no" then? :innocent: :na:

stewart38
5th-February-2007, 03:25 PM
Dai, I did meet you in passing one evening and noted that you danced with girls alot but didn't get a chance to ask. Hopefully next time.

There is one , any more for Dai :respect:

DJ you look good in a dress ?? :wink:

David Bailey
5th-February-2007, 03:37 PM
Ooh, you smooth-talking smoothie you... :na:

Cruella
5th-February-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm going. :D I'm having a whole London weekend experience, Utopia Friday, Hammersmith Saturday and Berko Sunday. :clap:

fletch
5th-February-2007, 04:49 PM
Give it a rest , some women dont like to dance with women period

Its not the venue

when your on the reciving end of such negativity its hard not to keep mentioning it, goodness know we have had to listen to you winging enough times when things don't go your way S38 :mad:

There is one , any more for Dai :respect:

i'm not happy with this comment, if its your way of a joke I don't find it funny.

:mad:

JiveLad
5th-February-2007, 05:52 PM

I've written quite a lot about Berko in my blog (eg. the articles 'Why is Berko so good?' - and more recently 'Sunday Blues') and I must admit to having mixed feelings about it. Mostly though, I love it - and in particular look forward to the Blues room - and maybe another dance with Rachel - with Marc spinning some great tunes.

Anyway, I expect I'll be there after checking out the MJ scene in Munich later this week.

Spin dryer
5th-February-2007, 06:52 PM
Berkhamsted is great. I find everyone there to be very friendly and the music is excellent. It'll be a perfect end to the weekend following Utopia on Friday and Hammersmith on Saturday.

David Bailey
6th-February-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi Trouble - I hope you don't mind me using your quote as the starting point for a new thread - but I wanted to get some more views on Berko.
I moved this post to this thread, so we can have all the "Berko: good or bad?" discussions in one area :)