PDA

View Full Version : Self criticism thread?

Mythical
2nd-February-2007, 12:05 PM
I noticed, last time I danced, I was trying to lead and concentrating more on singing along to the music than following.
So next time I dance I promise to let the man lead, and not try to put him into moves he doesn't know, and remember that if I like the tune, I can sing along to it on iTunes when I get home - the dancefloor is not the place.

Anyone else have something they're determined to do better?

DavidY
2nd-February-2007, 12:26 PM
So next time I dance I promise to let the man lead, and not try to put him into moves he doesn't know, and remember that if I like the tune, I can sing along to it on iTunes when I get home - the dancefloor is not the place.I don't see anything wrong with singing along to the music. (I do it all the time. ;))

But you're probably right about letting the man lead.

Also, I think it's better to think in terms of "self-improvement" rather than "self-criticism". :flower:

MartinHarper
2nd-February-2007, 12:38 PM

I'd answer, but I'm trying to cut down on my self-obsession.

Minnie M
2nd-February-2007, 12:47 PM
........So next time I dance I promise to let the man lead, and not try to put him into moves he doesn't know......
:eek: :what:

Mythical
2nd-February-2007, 12:54 PM
I'd answer, but I'm trying to cut down on my self-obsession.
There's nothing wrong with being self obsessed....I myself am totally obsessed with myself 90% of the time!:D

:eek: :what:
What??

jivecat
2nd-February-2007, 08:57 PM
What??

Ah, bless!

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-February-2007, 09:01 PM
Ah, bless!
not quite got the concept really has she :)

Ghost
2nd-February-2007, 09:02 PM
What??
How exactly are you putting him into moves he doesn't know, given that you're following?

(actually I can think of a few ways.....:devil: )

ShinyWeeStar
2nd-February-2007, 09:15 PM
I noticed, last time I danced, I was trying to lead ~snip~ So next time I dance I promise to let the man lead, and not try to put him into moves he doesn't know

not quite got the concept really has she :)

Actually, I think she has... she's noticed what she was doing, realises it's wrong and plans to avoid doing it in future! Not bad going for a newbie... Good for you Mythical! :clap:

jivecat
2nd-February-2007, 09:52 PM
Actually, I think she has... she's noticed what she was doing, realises it's wrong and plans to avoid doing it in future! Not bad going for a newbie... Good for you Mythical! :clap:

:yeah: Sorry, Mythical, didn't mean to put you down. It's good, nay AMAZING, to find someone so keen. If only I could feel one quarter as keen. *sigh*

It's also nice to see an innocent let loose upon this bastion of dance-correctness!:wink:

StokeBloke
2nd-February-2007, 10:33 PM
I noticed, last time I danced, I was trying to lead and concentrating more on singing along to the music than following.
So next time I dance I promise to let the man lead, and not try to put him into moves he doesn't know, and remember that if I like the tune, I can sing along to it on iTunes when I get home - the dancefloor is not the place.

It's good that you are looking at ways to improve what you do. But may I say a couple of things. If I were leading you and you were singing, I would see that as a sign that you were enjoying yourself. This is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

If I was leading you, and my lead was so poor that you ended up doing something other than what I had planned.... who is to blame?

I guess what I am trying to say Mythical is dancing is a two person thing. You can't take responsibility for everything that goes wrong. I just ask for two things from the girls... sorry, I mean, people that I lead - they smile and don't fall over :D

Icey
3rd-February-2007, 12:06 AM
I just ask for two things from the girls... sorry, I mean, people that I lead - they smile and don't fall over :D

Falling over :mad: It's not something we like to do y'know! If it was, we'd do it with a helluva lot more style :whistle:

Mythical
3rd-February-2007, 04:15 PM
:yeah: Sorry, Mythical, didn't mean to put you down. It's good, nay AMAZING, to find someone so keen. If only I could feel one quarter as keen. *sigh*

It's also nice to see an innocent let loose upon this bastion of dance-correctness!:wink:

I read something on here about people having 'favourite partners' and thought 'hey, I wanna be everybodys favourite, too' So it's almost jealousy, as much as enthusiasm :devil:
I also have my favourites, and I wouldn't want to get to the point where they didn't really want to dance with me (I can get away with it now, 'cause I'm new, but what about next month???)

And dance correctness? the way I see it, the guy leading is there to make the girl look good. If he wants to make me look awesome, who am i to stand in his way???:D :devil:

Mythical
14th-February-2007, 01:27 AM
I really ought to give myself 100 lines:
i must not try to back lead
i must not try to back lead
i must not try to back lead (at least until I can do it properly)
etc.

TheTramp
14th-February-2007, 02:28 AM
Might I make a suggestion?

Don't think about it. I don't know if you've been told this already. But don't try to work out what the lead is doing (let's face it, if they're anything like me, they won't know anyhow). Just let your mind go blank (should be easy, you're a girl*), and go with the flow.

If you're trying to think about it, then you'll probably get it wrong, and even if you do get it right, then you'll be a beat behind by then anyhow. You're on a loser before you start.

I often say to followers, "Smile". And they tell me they can't, they're too busy concentrating. And I just tell them to concentrate on smiling. The dancing invariably improves then!

*I am in sooooo much trouble now! :rolleyes:

Twirlie Bird
14th-February-2007, 02:44 AM

If you're trying to think about it, then you'll probably get it wrong, and even if you do get it right, then you'll be a beat behind by then anyhow. You're on a loser before you start.

This is very true. If you try to work out what's coming next you will probably get it wrong. Ask yourself what's the worse thing that can happen during that dance. You may make a mistake? You may do something that the lead wasn't expecting? You may misread the lead?

Relax and enjoy the dance. You will find that the more you relax the more you will enjoy it and the less you will find yourself backleading. :nice:

Just let your mind go blank (should be easy, you're a girl*), and go with the flow.

Oh dear!!! Did you really mean to say that. I will watch with interest when the girls wake up. :rofl:

Twirlie Bird
-x-

TheTramp
14th-February-2007, 03:02 AM
Oh dear!!! Did you really mean to say that. I will watch with interest when the girls wake up. :rofl:

Yeah. I haven't been neg-repped for a few days now. I'm missing it! :wink:

Tiggerbabe
14th-February-2007, 07:49 AM
Yeah. I haven't been neg-repped for a few days now. I'm missing it! :wink:
Tempting, tempting :whistle:

fletch
14th-February-2007, 08:55 AM
If i'm not singing to my partner I chatting :na:

I would be interested to hear if there is anyone that have danced with that I havnt sang or chatted to while dancing. :D

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 09:20 AM
I would be interested to hear if there is anyone that have danced with that I havnt sang or chatted to while dancing. :D
You adjusted your boobs with me, does that count?

Gav
14th-February-2007, 09:36 AM
You adjusted your boobs with me, does that count?

Wow, lucky you, she usually uses her hands :eek: :na: :D

jivecat
14th-February-2007, 11:59 AM
Don't think about it. I don't know if you've been told this already. But don't try to work out what the lead is doing (let's face it, if they're anything like me, they won't know anyhow). Just let your mind go blank (should be easy, you're a girl*), and go with the flow.......

........I often say to followers, "Smile". And they tell me they can't, they're too busy concentrating. And I just tell them to concentrate on smiling. The dancing invariably improves then!
:yeah: To everything Trampy said. My following improved no end when I stopped trying so hard.

But I don't think he realises just how much concentration it takes to keep your mind blank.
:rolleyes:

Lory
14th-February-2007, 12:52 PM

Don't think about it. I don't know if you've been told this already. But don't try to work out what the lead is doing (let's face it, if they're anything like me, they won't know anyhow). Just let your mind go blank and go with the flow.

:yeah: all good advice and may I add...

Definitely DON 'T do what 'I' did when I first started :blush: which was to learn the 'follows' part independently of the lead, and :cringe: would proudly finish the routine all by myself, if the lead got lost :cringe::really: :blush:

My biggest tip now would be, forget what the demo's doing on the stage (apart from the styling) and just follow your partner! :flower:

TheTramp
14th-February-2007, 01:11 PM

See. No-one commented. I'm assuming that the girls are all awake by now, and not lying in bed still, expecting to be waited on! :rolleyes:

And not even a single piece of neg-rep. C'mon. I dare you! :D

Caro
14th-February-2007, 01:34 PM
Just let your mind go blank (should be easy, you're a girl*), and go with the flow.

See. No-one commented. I'm assuming that the girls are all awake by now, and not lying in bed still, expecting to be waited on! :rolleyes:

And not even a single piece of neg-rep.

and why would we comment? that's a perfectly valid statement. My mind is so blank right now that my hair has turned light blond. Must be a good follow. :innocent:

Anyway, what's rep?

*I am sooooo much in trouble now!

feels good?

David Bailey
14th-February-2007, 01:35 PM
My biggest tip now would be, forget what the demo's doing on the stage (apart from the styling) and just follow your partner! :flower:
:yeah:
In fact, close your eyes, and put earplugs on - that way you have to follow, and the man has to lead. :grin:

TheTramp
14th-February-2007, 01:50 PM
and why would we comment? that's a perfectly valid statement. My mind is so blank right now that my hair has turned light blond. Must be a good follow. :innocent:

Well, I enjoyed our dance last night!! :hug: