PDA

View Full Version : Who else has been Spoiled by Ceroc?

Mythical
2nd-February-2007, 11:41 AM
My 'usual' MJ class is Ceroc, but last night, I went along to an MJ class run by another, smaller company. That'll teach me to stick with Ceroc, I guess!
Probably not the fault of the organisers, but I found the evening really frustrating - and spent the night thinking Ceroc is SO much better.

At the Usual venue, the taxi dancers are excellent - once the beginners class is over, they'll be dancing with beginners until the review class, when they take us away and hammer the 4 moves we've ust been taught into out heads till we do them in our sleep! (or at least till the intermediate class is over) then come out and dance with beginners again non-stop until 10.45! I really don't know how they do it!! You don't expect to see them drinking with their buddies during freestyle, or showing off in the review class, trying to load another 4 moves onto the beginners.

The Door staff are lovely, and, on my first night, made me feel really welcome, and didn't send spies over to see if I was from somewhere else!

The teacher is just brilliant, and must give some really fantastic instructions, because I can still remember all the moves I've done so far, and I've never met a beginner, there who's been more than once and can only do 4 moves!!

Somehow, and I'm not sure wether it's down to the organisers, but Ceroc always attracts some REALLY great dancers - I've danced with guys who've made me feel like I can actually dance (which takes some doing, I can tell you!) they seem to be much more subtle about trying to catch you out at ceroc!

So...in Short, Ceroc rocks!

David Bailey
2nd-February-2007, 11:53 AM
My 'usual' MJ class is Ceroc, but last night, I went along to an MJ class run by another, smaller company. That'll teach me to stick with Ceroc, I guess!
Probably not the fault of the organisers, but I found the evening really frustrating - and spent the night thinking Ceroc is SO much better.
Feel free to add to the "What Ceroc does Well (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11338)" thread - it's looking a bit empty at the moment.

Where's your usual Ceroc venue then?

Mythical
2nd-February-2007, 12:10 PM
I already posted on there that Taxi dancers are the best thing since sliced pizza!

My usual venue is Coventry (by Ceroc Leamington Spa)
(i must point out that I'm going to go back to the frustrating place to see if it's better next week!)

SeriouslyAddicted
2nd-February-2007, 02:38 PM
Not sure I have been spoiled by Ceroc as such but definately by my local venue (Salomans in Tunbridge Wells - there quick plug over :wink: ) Nowhere else quite seems to live up to it for me.

straycat
2nd-February-2007, 03:06 PM
Me - I've been spoiled by Herrang.

No other dance weekender / camp has ever come close :tears:

jengerleng
2nd-February-2007, 06:36 PM
I already posted on there that Taxi dancers are the best thing since sliced pizza!

(i must point out that I'm going to go back to the frustrating place to see if it's better next week!)

Long way to go from Manchester to Coventry for a weekly class. Is it that good?

You didn't say what area the non ceroc MJ venue you went to was in.
There are some excellent independent MJ venues around so don't give in, variety is the spice of life.

drathzel
2nd-February-2007, 07:38 PM

Hi there

you said the place was frustrating but you never mentioned why?

Ceroc does rock and i think the whole system ceroc provides makes people feel better about dancing and feel like they can actually dance. My taxi dancers when i started where fab if they hadnt danced with me i might not have come back. They make a good impression and show what ceroc is really like

Baruch
3rd-February-2007, 10:30 PM
I've had the opposite experience in Cardiff. I found the Ceroc class just wasn't up to the standard of my usual Le Roc class. I'm sure some here (BobbyA for example) might disagree with me on that point, but I speak as I find.

Mythical
3rd-February-2007, 10:52 PM
I did say what was bad about the other place in the post, it's just me trying to be subtle!

It wasn't the taxi dancers that made me go back, although being able to dance with the taxis straight away definately gave me the confidence to see the evening out, and some of the other people who were there made me sure I wanted to go back the follwing week!

Trousers
6th-February-2007, 09:51 AM
I did say what was bad about the other place in the post, it's just me trying to be subtle!

Unless I missed the name of the other venue somewhere you failed to mention it.
This does not allow anyone to have any sort of opinion other than to agree
with yours which is a little poor really. Especially as there are a lot of none Ceroc Venues that do a really good job and IMO a number od Ceroc ones that don't. I dance Chester/Manchester quite often and would love to know where you went and such a bad time. Maybe I would have an opinion that reinforced yours possibly I could have one that didn't. But one opinion does not mean that much in it's own right.

This may be a Ceroc Scotland Forum but with respect to Franck, there are more posters south of Hadrians wall than north of it and Ceroc is at the end of the day a trade name of a Modern Jive dance class. So we seem to be allowed to have opinions about none Ceroc Venues even good ones, which I feel is the best way the forum could go.

So if you feel the need to post about a bad night tell us where it was. I would.

:rolleyes:

tsh
6th-February-2007, 12:22 PM
Sorry, but you don't really say what the other place did wrong. Yes, you list lots of 'good' things about your regular venue, but that's not the same. Personally, I will not go to a ceroc class now without some severe arm twisting because I expect to disappointed by the teaching, the music and the intermediate dancers. I know there must be some exceptions (Marc gives an excellent class for example, but I still get my hand twisted too much at MK).

Sean

Mythical
6th-February-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry, I'll make it blatantly obvious.

At the Usual venue, the taxi dancers are excellent - once the beginners class is over, they'll be dancing with beginners until the review class, when they take us away and hammer the 4 moves we've ust been taught into out heads till we do them in our sleep! (or at least till the intermediate class is over) then come out and dance with beginners again non-stop until 10.45! I really don't know how they do it!! You don't expect to see them drinking with their buddies during freestyle, or showing off in the review class, trying to load another 4 moves onto the beginners.
-Becasue the taxi dancers at this other venue stood around drinking beer and showed off in the intermediate class and loaded another 4 moves onto the beginners in the revue class

The Door staff are lovely, and, on my first night, made me feel really welcome, and didn't send spies over to see if I was from somewhere else!
-Because the door staff at this other venue weren't so friendly, and kept sending people over to see if I was from ceroc

The teacher is just brilliant, and must give some really fantastic instructions, because I can still remember all the moves I've done so far, and I've never met a beginner, there who's been more than once and can only do 4 moves!! - meaning that the instructor at the other place was giving instructions is seemed few people could understand, and n one seemed to remeber them into the freestyle

Somehow, and I'm not sure wether it's down to the organisers, but Ceroc always attracts some REALLY great dancers - I've danced with guys who've made me feel like I can actually dance (which takes some doing, I can tell you!) they seem to be much more subtle about trying to catch you out at ceroc!
-Because the more advanced dancers at this new venue were trying to catch me, and the other beginners out
So...in Short, Ceroc rocks!

And no, I'm sorry, I'm NOT going to name names, as far as I'm concerned, unless it was VERY bad, that's just not the thing to do.

Lou
6th-February-2007, 02:43 PM
The Door staff are lovely, and, on my first night, made me feel really welcome, and didn't send spies over to see if I was from somewhere else
Sorry - this makes me chuckle. :D I have visions of the owner of this Mysterious Venue sending their doorstaff over to ask you to "leeeesten vairy carefully.... I shall zay zis ony vunce.... are you from ze Zeroc class?"

Or maybe they sent the Spanish Inqusition? You probably weren't expecting that, I guess? :rolleyes:

You don't expect to see them drinking with their buddies during freestyle, or showing off in the review class.... etc...Yeah. That wretched John Baker doesn't let his taxis have any fun. :na:

Trousers
6th-February-2007, 04:02 PM
Blatently unobvious Mythical

I have absolutely no idea where you are trying to infer is rubbish and inferior to an equally unknown ceroc venue.

This thread IMHO would appear to have no point unless the venues are named so other opinions can be aired.

I dance at venues other than Ceroc and have a cracking time and I also have slated Ceroc venues for their Cliquey crews and to even the score some of my favourite venues are Ceroc. Some of my favourite Teachers work in Black and Orange too.

You really can't come in here and say Ceroc are great and everyone else is rubbish because from my experiences, I would offer a differing point of view.

We all go to venues that we feel were not up to standard and I know there was a huge debate in here about Hammersmith town hall. The consensus then was that HTH was great but I would say in my opinion it is only great once in a blue moon compared to other venues I go to (Hipsters, Bedford and Ashtons). But in naming my comparison venues I offer a yard stick for anyone who knows those venues to compare them and in so the opinion begins to gain weight and counter opinions can be formed based on the same yardstick.

I ask where the yardstick is here with out names?

:mad:

Twirlie Bird
6th-February-2007, 04:22 PM

Does it matter if you dance somewhere else? Is it frowned on to dance at more than one organisation/company? :confused:

Sorry if this question sounds dumb. I was just suprised to read this and as I'm new to all this thought I would ask.

Trousers
6th-February-2007, 04:33 PM
Not at all TB

Ceroc is only one company that we the paying punters can choose to use.

Infact I like the fact that some companies don't teach some moves and others do. Also none ceroc venues seem more likely to have guest teachers which can be good or bad but is always interesting.

Some moves are taught differently and this often explains why simple moves seem to go awry.

Go anywhere, go everywhere, just go

This is just Modern Jive after all.

David Bailey
6th-February-2007, 04:37 PM
Does it matter if you dance somewhere else? Is it frowned on to dance at more than one organisation/company? :confused:
Dunno, I've never been asked where else I dance... (equally :confused: )

Sorry if this question sounds dumb. I was just suprised to read this and as I'm new to all this thought I would ask.
No, I thought it too - of course, we may both be dumb. :D

Anyway, whilst I agree that it's kind of pointless to discuss a venue's shortcomings without actually naming the venue, all this slagging-off-of-some-venue-Up-North is boring, when it's so much easier to slag off the upcoming Hammersmith, for example. :whistle:

LMC
6th-February-2007, 04:45 PM
If you are just a regular paying customer you can dance where and when you like :nice:

(Rules are different for Ceroc teachers and franchisees, and discussed elsewhere.)

David Bailey
6th-February-2007, 04:49 PM
(Rules are different for Ceroc teachers and franchisees, and discussed elsewhere.)
Are they? I thought Ceroc Crew couldn't work for other organisations, but were perfectly free to just dance at non-Ceroc venues as normal punters - has this changed?

ducasi
6th-February-2007, 05:05 PM
Are they? I thought Ceroc Crew couldn't work for other organisations, but were perfectly free to just dance at non-Ceroc venues as normal punters - has this changed?
How many Ceroc employees were at Southport there? How many will be there in June?

Lou
6th-February-2007, 05:10 PM
How many Ceroc employees were at Southport there? How many will be there in June?
Some? :D (just what are you implying, Ducasi? :whistle: )

More to the point - how many of The 10 were there?

David Bailey
6th-February-2007, 05:12 PM
Maybe they were Hiding and Spying, taking names, noting who wasn't bouncing as potential trouble-makers, secretly filming malcontents and distributing their photos on the Secret Ceroc Intranet Thing :eek:

Or, maybe not.
It was just a thought.
I'm bored.

MartinHarper
6th-February-2007, 05:15 PM

The bans work the other way round. Ceroc franchisees have banned people who work for other organisations from dancing at their venues. Also, some non-Ceroc organisations have had similar bans in place. I don't have information about the extent of the problem.

David Bailey
6th-February-2007, 05:19 PM
The bans work the other way round.
I guess it goes to show that there are idiots everywhere.

That's my philosophical contribution for the day :)

Lou
6th-February-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm bored.
No? Really? :na:

(btw... made me giggle, anyway.)

I don't have information about the extent of the problem.

Only hearsay, rumour and scurrilous gossip. :na: I love this forum. :clap: Can we have more of this, please?

Trousers
6th-February-2007, 05:37 PM
Surely the old adage applies

Keep your friends close
Keep your enemies closer.

Well I would but then I don't own Ceroc

But I have seen how some venues feed off each other the more you dance the better you get, the more you then want to dance and venues frequented by good dancers do have punter pulling power.

MartinHarper
6th-February-2007, 05:51 PM
Only hearsay, rumour and scurrilous gossip. :na: I love this forum. :clap: Can we have more of this, please?

Sure, but we should take it to the appropriate thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1168).

Trousers
6th-February-2007, 06:01 PM
You're not the official Thread Splitter Movererer are you MH?

David Bailey
6th-February-2007, 10:48 PM
You're not the official Thread Splitter Movererer are you MH?
He's just showing off his Harperlinking skills... :respect: