PDA

View Full Version : i-question

Caro
1st-February-2007, 12:28 AM
ok I'm new to that itunes thing and I wonder :confused: : once files that are in 'my musique' are converted and stored in i-tunes, can I delete them from 'my musique'? (I'm kinda running out of space now so if having them in i-tunes means in fact storing them twice, it'd make my life easier to delete them...)
Is there any consequence in doing this that I should be aware of ? (for example, are you free to remove tunes from itunes whenever you want and copy them elsewhere as much as you want...?)

(I did run a search on itunes in this section of the forum but didn't find that particular question, so apologies if it's already being asked and answered).

Caro
1st-February-2007, 01:57 PM
hellooo? is there somebody here? or am I not worthy of your geekiness guys :tears: ?

or is the question not making any sense?? please pretty please somebody enlighten me :inexistant eyelash batting smiley: :flower:

ducasi
1st-February-2007, 02:14 PM
Short answer: if iTunes has copied the music to the itunes folder, you don't need it elsewhere.

Long answer involves checking to see if the preferences for iTunes asks it to copy files and whether it has been told to keep its library organised, as well as using the "consolidate library" menu option.

Oh, you can "reveal" where iTunes has a track stored on your computer by selecting it selecting the "Show in Explorer" (that's a guess, but it's called "Show in Finder" on my Mac) option in the "File" menu. You might be able to instead just hit control-R.

pmjd
1st-February-2007, 04:31 PM
To find out if iTunes is set to copy your music do the following

Edit> Preferences > Advanced tab> General tab

Look for the ticked or unticked option "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library"

If ticked then they'll be imported into the iTunes folder which is in the My Music folder in My Documents. If they are imported then you can delete the originals to save space, or leave unticked and leave the originals alone. iTunes doesn't add any copy protection to them, unlike WMP, so as they should be fine for future use. Not so for anything bought from the iTunes store though.

Caro
2nd-February-2007, 02:55 AM
many thanks Ducasi and PMJD :flower: :worthy:
that really helped, I think I understand how the thing works now :clap: (It did cost me a Diana Krall album though :mad: as I totally messed up at some point :tears: )

Andreas
4th-February-2007, 12:54 PM
(It did cost me a Diana Krall album though :mad: as I totally messed up at some point :tears: )
It just means you need to import the CD again ... right? :whistle: :innocent: :na:

Sheepman
6th-February-2007, 01:08 AM
It did cost me a Diana Krall album though :mad: as I totally messed up at some point :tears: )
Have you checked to see if it's in your Recycle Bin? If it was imported/organised into your iTunes library, then when you delete it from iTunes, that's where it will go.

Greg

Caro
6th-February-2007, 07:36 PM
Have you checked to see if it's in your Recycle Bin? If it was imported/organised into your iTunes library, then when you delete it from iTunes, that's where it will go.

Greg

cheers Greg but no it wasn't - was using my ipod as a USB drive, transfered some of the music into i-tunes on my computer thinking that it would copy itself into the i-tunes library (it didn't - which I didn't really understand since it copied everything that I transfered from my music to i-tunes :confused: ), then deleted it from the ipod... wasn't in the recycle bin and couldn't undo when I realised what I had done... but thanksfully somebody really sweet sent me the album :clap: :hug:

Sheepman
7th-February-2007, 12:14 AM
cheers Greg but no it wasn't - was using my ipod as a USB drive, Aha, a dangerous practice, in my experience you can't use the iPod to copy music onto your PC, (not with recent releases of iTunes anyway) Much safer to use a USB pen drive.

Greg

ducasi
7th-February-2007, 09:21 AM
Aha, a dangerous practice, in my experience you can't use the iPod to copy music onto your PC, (not with recent releases of iTunes anyway) Much safer to use a USB pen drive.
You can use your iPod as a USB drive, and manually copy music to on and off of it, though the iPod won't see it as music and offer to play it.

There are also several programs that will allow you to copy music you've put onto your iPod using iTunes back off. Searching for the terms "ipod copy music" on Google produces quite a few options. :)

Caro
7th-February-2007, 09:55 PM
new day, new question... :flower:

I have plenty of dance video clips in .avi format (or whatever windows media player reads) and I just realised itunes doesn't like them (well I guess it's a format that's not recognised).

So what formats are actually valid for i-tunes and is there any simple way (note the key word simple :wink: ) to convert my files into something that i-tune will recognize, store and play?

BigAl
7th-February-2007, 11:24 PM
Try Videora Ipod Converter. Simple interface that queues the files you want to convert. Note that it takes time so leave it overnight. The converted files can be dragged into Itunes videos and updated on to your iPod from there (if set to update)