PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool Competition March 16/17 2007 - Who's attending?

robd
30th-January-2007, 02:13 PM
Am thinking of going to the 2007 UK Open Jive Competition (http://www.achance2dance.co.uk)to spectate and freestyle. I did Hammersmith and Britroc last year so would like to experience this one too in the Vegas of the UK. Who else of you might be there?

Robert

robd
30th-January-2007, 02:24 PM
in the Vegas of the UK.

Oops, spoke too soon according to this story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6312707.stm).

TheTramp
30th-January-2007, 03:07 PM
How about "Yes - in it to have fun - no real aspirations of winning it"? :D

Bill
30th-January-2007, 03:45 PM
For the first time in a few years we won't be going. :(

Starting a new course and with other commitments I just can't make it down. Hope all the Scots and Forumites have fun and go home with a bag full of prizes!!!

Good luck to everyone who is competing. Hopefully make it next year. :cheers:

HelenB
30th-January-2007, 04:45 PM
Not this time :(

Might be going to the St Neot's freestyle on the Friday night instead :D - 2 rooms :clap:

Tinkerbell
30th-January-2007, 05:02 PM

:yeah: :wink:

TheTramp
30th-January-2007, 05:09 PM

I should have added "Though, I do have a fab partner" :D

Tinkerbell
30th-January-2007, 05:12 PM

That more like it :yum:

Cruella
30th-January-2007, 05:14 PM
Where's the option for ' I don't know, i'm still earning points'?:wink:

Sparkles
30th-January-2007, 05:19 PM
What do people usually do about travelling up there and staying over? Do we all descend upon one poor, unsuspecting hotel :devil:?
Also, if there are enough of us going from the south, would a mini bus or coach be a good idea?
I'm still debating on whether to go or not, but if there was likely to be a 'weekender' feel about it, with us all staying in the same place etc, then it would be more tempting...

cheeks
30th-January-2007, 05:24 PM
Yep I'll be there again cheering everyone along and catching us much freestyle as poss yipee! Although continually tooing and throwing with idea of comp as never competed before....but on saying that theres the whole thing with who and there not many weeks left mm....... maybe another year I think!:whistle:

marty_baby
30th-January-2007, 05:55 PM
What do people usually do about travelling up there and staying over? Do we all descend upon one poor, unsuspecting hotel :devil:?
Also, if there are enough of us going from the south, would a mini bus or coach be a good idea?
I'm still debating on whether to go or not, but if there was likely to be a 'weekender' feel about it, with us all staying in the same place etc, then it would be more tempting...

All in Same hotel? Hell Yeah! :D

The Lovely Jackie (Of Mark and Jackie, Cardiff Leroc) Always organises the coach and hotel for us.... Imagine that... all the Welsh and Bristol Crowd in one hotel! :eek:

Last year was my 1st time.... bit of an eyeopener!

Blackpool is a long up north - so the Coach/Minibus is a good idea - especially on the way home! The camarderie is good - and the extra space great, if you just want to go find an empty row, kick your feet up, and sleep!

Martin x

PS:
Have you seen photos of the Tower ballroom??!?! It really looks incredible!.... one of those "must do" things on anyone's dancing list.

pmjd
30th-January-2007, 05:56 PM

:yeah: definitely

maybe another year I think!:whistle:
Go on and give it a go, hoping it'll be a lot of fun:clap: :clap:

Dance Demon
30th-January-2007, 06:33 PM
I'll be there. Not competing this year though, but will be doing a wee stint on the decks:nice:

Achaeco
30th-January-2007, 08:16 PM
All in Same hotel? Hell Yeah! :D

The Lovely Jackie (Of Mark and Jackie, Cardiff Leroc) Always organises the coach and hotel for us.... Imagine that... all the Welsh and Bristol Crowd in one hotel! :eek:

Last year was my 1st time.... bit of an eyeopener!

Blackpool is a long up north - so the Coach/Minibus is a good idea - especially on the way home! The camarderie is good - and the extra space great, if you just want to go find an empty row, kick your feet up, and sleep!

Martin x

PS:
Have you seen photos of the Tower ballroom??!?! It really looks incredible!.... one of those "must do" things on anyone's dancing list.

Dont forget to take some red clothing. Bit of a party on the the Friday with it being RED NOSE DAY.

Sparkles
30th-January-2007, 08:29 PM
I'll {snip} be doing a wee stint on the decks:nice:

Now there's :yeah: a reason to make the trip to Blackpool if ever there was one :waycool: :worthy:

CJ
30th-January-2007, 08:44 PM
but will be doing a wee stint on the decks:nice:

U and me, both, dude:cheers:

Sparkles
30th-January-2007, 11:20 PM
U and me, both, dude :cheers:

Now there's :yeah: a double reason to make the trip to Blackpool :respect:

Mary
30th-January-2007, 11:34 PM
You guys going to Blackpool are sooooo lucky. When it was in the Tower Ballroom a few years ago I had the best time ever. The atmosphere was amazing, and walking onto that dancefloor under those lights really made you feel 'wow, I HAVE to dance'.

Really wish I was going but finances are a major consideration at the moment, and I know I would be itching to get out there and compete.

M

Patrick
31st-January-2007, 02:35 AM

Just tried to book my preferred hotel to find it full already! The organisers offer a package at the Big Blue Hotel on the Pleasure Beach, they have 70 rooms I think. Anyone going to stay there?

It's quite a way to theTower, but there will be a frequent shuttle bus.

Simon r
31st-January-2007, 10:31 AM
Just tried to book my preferred hotel to find it full already! The organisers offer a package at the Big Blue Hotel on the Pleasure Beach, they have 70 rooms I think. Anyone going to stay there?

Nicole and i are booked in to that hotel we did not know that it was part of the offer, our first choice the Hilton is totaly booked and the Grand hotel last year was rubbish.

See you there Si

Patrick
31st-January-2007, 10:53 AM
Nicole and i are booked in to that hotel we did not know that it was part of the offer, our first choice the Hilton is totaly booked and the Grand hotel last year was rubbish.

See you there Si

My first choice was a modest B&B near the tower :blush:

Tiggerbabe
31st-January-2007, 11:31 AM
There's a lovely little hotel called the Deneside, which is close to the venue. I've stayed there a few times when I've gone to the comp. No idea if it's full already for this year though information here. (http://www.denesidehotel.co.uk/) :)

TheTramp
31st-January-2007, 12:41 PM
My first choice was a modest B&B near the tower :blush:

I usually go for the self-catering holiday flats. They're even cheaper! :blush:

(But great if you get back at 2am after dancing, and want some toast!)

marty_baby
31st-January-2007, 01:11 PM
Dont forget to take some red clothing. Bit of a party on the the Friday with it being RED NOSE DAY.

...oh right! didn't realise that! :nice:

...Will there be tickets on the Door for Fri? (I'm pretty sure we only sent off for the Sat entry tickets. The last year we ended up arriving in Blackpool late, and just wanted to eat and sleep. I was lucky enought to find someone looking to buy a ticket for the Friday night.... had to haggle with him mind!.... grrrr! :rofl: .)

Its actually Lyndsey's birthday that week (My Lovely Dance Partner) - so I guess the afterparty and birthday drinkies will be in her room on saturday.... Her roomie Becky dosen't know it yet tho! :rofl:

Hoping to do loads of freestyle that weekend. The ballroom looks brilliant!

Martin :na:

Heather
31st-January-2007, 01:51 PM
There's a lovely little hotel called the Deneside, which is close to the venue. I've stayed there a few times when I've gone to the comp. No idea if it's full already for this year though information here. (http://www.denesidehotel.co.uk/) :)

:yeah:

I've already booked a few of us Dundonians into the Deneside !!!!:whistle:
I don't know if there are any rooms left though!

:hug:
Heather

Achaeco
31st-January-2007, 05:47 PM

You mean a free bus to and from as often as you like if you are on the weekender.

Achaeco
31st-January-2007, 05:55 PM
...oh right! didn't realise that! :nice:

...Will there be tickets on the Door for Fri? (I'm pretty sure we only sent off for the Sat entry tickets. The last year we ended up arriving in Blackpool late, and just wanted to eat and sleep. I was lucky enought to find someone looking to buy a ticket for the Friday night.... had to haggle with him mind!.... grrrr! :rofl: .)

Its actually Lyndsey's birthday that week (My Lovely Dance Partner) - so I guess the afterparty and birthday drinkies will be in her room on saturday.... Her roomie Becky dosen't know it yet tho! :rofl:

Hoping to do loads of freestyle that weekend. The ballroom looks brilliant!

Martin :na:

There will be limited tickets available on the door as bookings are coming in thick and fast.
Keep a eye on the updates www.achance2dance.co.uk i will be adding the update page this weekend.

Yliander
31st-January-2007, 08:55 PM

See you there SiI'm looking at booking the deal set up by the organisers at The Big Blue Hotel - but the cost on my own is a bit steep - anyone need a roomie?

angelique
1st-February-2007, 01:06 AM
A little tale to share with you all.

Took the children for a "cheapie" break for half term to Blackpool a few years back...managed to find a hotel for the 4 of us at the last minute. "Lucky girl" thinks me.
Got there, all seemed OK!
Place not too full despite it being half term.
Dinner on the first night was amusing...waiting 45 mins for food, 3 tired, hungry children getting a bit fed up. Main course , all wrong and cold. Pudding followed after much shouting between the chef and head waiter out in the kitchens, the sound of a plate or 2 getting broken in this arguement. My daughter ordered lemon meringue pie and got cheesecake :( blah blah blah
The week carried on in pretty much the same vain..bit like Fawlty Towers ..only worse! One night, no waiting staff at all as they had all downed tools due to yet ANOTHER row. Got chatting to another older couple who had been going there twice a year for the past 15 years and they couldn't wait to tell me their claim to fame.

Same said hotel had been featured on a documentary in the preceeding year...HOTELS FROM HELL!!!!!! :what: :what:

They were quick to point out to me though, it had had over £100,000 spent on it refurbishing it and now they deemed it to be" cracking"...TAXI!!!

Name of hotel? The President

P.S The ballroom IS to die for though, as is a trip up the Tower and a walk across the glass floor if you can without throwing your guts up! :sick:

ducasi
1st-February-2007, 09:48 AM
I did the weekender package last year and stayed at the Big Blue Hotel. It was fab – I recommend it! :)

marty_baby
1st-February-2007, 11:36 AM
There will be limited tickets available on the door as bookings are coming in thick and fast.
Keep a eye on the updates www.achance2dance.co.uk i will be adding the update page this weekend.

Thanks for that Ach! :na:

Hey, I've just been there - there is a 360% view of the Ballroom - it looks incredible!.... 2 storey Balconys.... whole hall fully Decorated - even the ceilings has paintings.... the dance Floor patterned....

waaarweeee! :na:

...and I thought the place last year was huge and fab!
....Roll on Blackpool - only 6 weeks to go :clap:

martin :respect:

ElaineB
2nd-February-2007, 01:19 PM
You guys going to Blackpool are sooooo lucky. When it was in the Tower Ballroom a few years ago I had the best time ever. The atmosphere was amazing, and walking onto that dancefloor under those lights really made you feel 'wow, I HAVE to dance'.

Really wish I was going but finances are a major consideration at the moment, and I know I would be itching to get out there and compete.

M

Yes, it was great, wan't it!

The venue was so incredible that I lost concentration at one point and started to stare at the ceiling (only in the warm up....).

Our finances are a bit tricky as well Mary and we probaly aren't going :tears: , but to those of you who are, enjoy and good luck!

Elaine

jengerleng
2nd-February-2007, 11:53 PM
Hope to get up to Blackpool Saturday morning to support a fantastic event.

jengerleng
3rd-February-2007, 01:14 AM
Hope to get up to Blackpool Saturday morning to support a fantastic event.

Correct me if I'm missing something here, but is the Blackpool event not advertising? and what determins the difference between saying I hope to get to the 'Blackpool event' on Saturday, after attending my usual monthly freestyle event on the Friday evening?

Tiggerbabe
3rd-February-2007, 01:25 AM
Correct me if I'm missing something here, but is the Blackpool event not advertising?
This thread was started by asking "who was attending" the Blackpool event, Rob D, is in no way connected with the competition or the organisers.

Your post added a direct advert to your own event, which was removed as per the forum rules.

Achaeco
3rd-February-2007, 01:27 AM
Correct me if I'm missing something here, but is the Blackpool event not advertising? and what determins the difference between saying I hope to get to the 'Blackpool event' on Saturday, after attending my usual monthly freestyle event on the Friday evening?

Yes we are advertising........ We are going to as many events - weekenders - freestyles, posting flyers to venue managers, emailing everyone on our database, mail shots to database ECT.

Rhythm King
3rd-February-2007, 11:26 AM
I've been wanting to go to Blackpool for a while now, but things keep cropping up. Last year I had my knee operation and this year I'll be sunning myself in foreign climes, courtesy of work :sad:

Maybe next year I'll be able to attend, or even... compete:eek:

Anita
3rd-February-2007, 03:40 PM
David & I will be there.

We thought we'd give the Airsteps a go this year as well.

Dorothy
4th-February-2007, 01:21 PM
I have just posted my form - entering the lucky dip but that's it, looking forward to a day of spectacular dancing again :grin: :respect:

mikeyr
5th-February-2007, 12:49 PM
Kari & I will be there, hoping to put in a challenge for the top spot, we are really looking forward to it :clap: :clap: :D

Lorna
5th-February-2007, 03:13 PM
I have just posted the form today.

Sam and I will be flying the flag for Scotland along with some others too, I hope.

Have also decided to do Lucky Dip this year, for the first time ever!!

Looking forward to a great day. Was considering taking along my daughter. She is only 5, but she is always asking to come along to my work. Not sure whether,

a) she will be allowed entry,
b) it will be too loud for her, or
c) she will run on to the dance floor to get me mid competition. :eek:

Will there be some nice person amongst the Scottish crew who could entertain her whilst I am on the dance floor?

Whatever, I will have to think about it a lot.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Achaeco
5th-February-2007, 03:23 PM
I have just posted the form today.

Sam and I will be flying the flag for Scotland along with some others too, I hope.

Have also decided to do Lucky Dip this year, for the first time ever!!

Looking forward to a great day. Was considering taking along my daughter. She is only 5, but she is always asking to come along to my work. Not sure whether,

a) she will be allowed entry,
b) it will be too loud for her, or
c) she will run on to the dance floor to get me mid competition. :eek:

Will there be some nice person amongst the Scottish crew who could entertain her whilst I am on the dance floor?

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

There is no restriction on age for a spectator, there is only restrictions on the competitors age.
Im sure you can get someone to look after her, if not let us know and i will get someone to sit with her while you compete.

Yliander
5th-February-2007, 06:52 PM
well I've clicked yes I'm entering - but not sure about about the being in it to win it - more in it to have some fun and get dressed up

CJ
5th-February-2007, 10:15 PM
- but not sure about about the being in it to win it -

:eek: :rofl:

Yliander
6th-February-2007, 01:29 PM
:eek: :rofl::na: I didn’t mean I wasn’t hoping – but remind me how many times are we going to be able to practice before blackpool?:wink:

Yliander
6th-February-2007, 10:24 PM
anyone know what time the Sunday tea dance goes too? just working out trains

cheeks
6th-February-2007, 10:33 PM
*Snip....

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

More than happy to help babe if you decide to take her with you!

Brown Eyes
7th-February-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm entering the 'take a chance' and 'intermediate' competition - I've never been to a competition before so don't quite know what to expect - but hoping to have a fun weekend.

Dance Demon
7th-February-2007, 05:10 PM

With CJ & myself on the decks, can we make it a Red TARTAN Nose party..:D

Achaeco
7th-February-2007, 05:22 PM
anyone know what time the Sunday tea dance goes too? just working out trains

Sunday tea dance will finish at 5pm.

Yliander
7th-February-2007, 05:36 PM
Sunday tea dance will finish at 5pm. thanks for that - sadly :sad: I will have to leave long before the end to ensure that i get home at a reasonable hour as I have to work on the monday

johnah
21st-February-2007, 01:45 PM
With CJ & myself on the decks, can we make it a Red TARTAN Nose party..:D

Hey DD :respect: See you at Blackpool.

ALexyMiss
21st-February-2007, 01:53 PM
I'll be there! :clap: AND I've managed to find a lovely dance partner to compete with too! :nice: Although it's all a bit last minute so we're not exactly 'in it to win it' :na:

Ryanair (currently) has flights for 1p* each way from Stansted, so a few of us are flying up there together :whistle: - the more the merrier!

And we're staying in the weekender organised hotel, so glad it's had good reviews and that there'll be a good-sized group of us staying there

Really looking forward to it! :clap:

*Total cost is £30 return by the time you've paid taxes etc. :rolleyes:

fletch
21st-February-2007, 03:45 PM
I havn't booked it yet but i'm hoping to go, any one know if you can still get tickets just for the freeStyles and 't' dance. :confused:

fletch
21st-February-2007, 03:51 PM
I carn't see anywhere to click to order a ticket :confused: :blush:

ALexyMiss
21st-February-2007, 04:04 PM
As far as I'm aware the only way to book is to print off and send off the application form. :rolleyes:

As of yesterday there were still spaces in the hotel, so I'm sure there'll still be spaces for the freestyle/t-dance.

Will be great to see you there Fletch! :hug:

Achaeco
21st-February-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes Fletch, there are still entry tickets available for both nights and a couple of places left on the weekender package, the tea dance is only open for those on the weekender package.
ALexyMiss is correct (thanks). The only way to book is to download the application form and fill it in and post it off. I hope you do come Fletch, you'll have the best dances of your life, there are some very special dancers coming this year.

fletch
21st-February-2007, 04:55 PM
I hope you do come Fletch, you'll have the best dances of your life, there are some very special dancers coming this year.

:eek:

and I thought you were offering your services :rolleyes: see you bottled it on Saturday :wink: only joking we all have out moments. when your ready :hug:

:flower:

ho! PS do you know anyone that might sneek me into the 't' dance if I get my own accomerdation :whistle: I'm happy to pay :cheers:

Achaeco
21st-February-2007, 05:06 PM
:eek:

and I thought you were offering your services :rolleyes: see you bottled it on Saturday :wink: only joking we all have out moments. when your ready :hug:

:flower:

ho! PS do you know anyone that might sneek me into the 't' dance if I get my own accomerdation :whistle: I'm happy to pay :cheers:

Alas. I was to bring my little girl to her first ever dance venue but she came to me with antibiotics and that would not have been fair to all those who want to be well for Storm.
Not long to wait Fletch :whistle:

Lorna
24th-February-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi guys,

have just read the rules and it would appear that they have changed. :what:

Last year we were allowed 2 lifts per track, but it looks as though we can't have any at all in the advanced section this year.

Can someone verify this for me please. I have heard that, if you put them in, points will be deducted.

Thank you,

a very disappointed (bruised and battered) lorna x-x

Blueshoes
24th-February-2007, 02:18 AM
Will be entering the intermediates with my partner. Not old enough to enter the seniors apparently. Sniff.

rubyred
24th-February-2007, 02:22 AM
Not old enough to enter the seniors apparently. Sniff.

Yeah right :whistle: :rofl: :rofl:

Blueshoes
24th-February-2007, 02:34 AM
Not old enough to enter the seniors apparently. Sniff.
But I know someone who is......:whistle:

fletch
24th-February-2007, 11:47 AM
But I know someone who is......:whistle:

ooooo Blueshoes, thats not very gentlemanly. :eek:

saucer of milk :wink:

:D :flower:

cheeks
24th-February-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi guys,

Last year we were allowed 2 lifts per track, but it looks as though we can't have any at all in the advanced section this year.

Can someone verify this for me please. I have heard that, if you put them in, points will be deducted.

Thank you,

Hey honey from what I can see all rules apply for advanced section ....

Quote from rules

Rule 4: Air Steps will not be allowed; i.e: both feet of the person being lead may leave the floor as long as one foot remains below the waist of their partner.

Hope this helps. :flower:

Anita
24th-February-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you,

David & I have been practicing our mini airsteps only for the advanced. We interpreted it as no major airsteps.

However, this year there is an airsteps category, so you can still use your hard work in this category .....:flower:

Lorna
24th-February-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi,

am concerned about one lift where I end up sitting on his shoulder. Because |I have long legs I think they actually sit just below his waist. (Will need to check this with the camera). Will marks be deducted for this?

Any comments from the chance to dance team would be appreciated, thanks :flower:

L xx

Achaeco
24th-February-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi,

am concerned about one lift where I end up sitting on his shoulder. Because |I have long legs I think they actually sit just below his waist. (Will need to check this with the camera). Will marks be deducted for this?

Any comments from the chance to dance team would be appreciated, thanks :flower:

L xx

Hi Lorna.

As alot of you know achance2dance is owned by three poeple, Sue, Tony and Angelina.
As i just do the donkey work i cant give you an answer to your questions but i have called all three of them and left messages on there phones and as soon as they get back to me i will post your answers (hopefully tonight).

matt

Lorna
24th-February-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi,

thanks for all the replies.

Am at parents for the weekend and won't be meeting up with Sam till Monday. So no real hurry. :flower:

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Anita
24th-February-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi,

L xx

Well, it certainly sounds like a fab step, hope you get to use it.

TheTramp
25th-February-2007, 03:39 AM

Well, I'm not C2D, but here's my 2c anyhow :D

It says quite categorically, "Air Steps will not be allowed". Then goes on to presumably attempt to define that by saying that one foot has to be below the waist, which is a useless definition in that it does allow the girl to be well up in the air, apart from one foot which has to be no more than about 3 foot in the air. Which would definitely be an airstep in my book.

So, I'm not sure in what language a person sitting on the shoulder wouldn't be classed as an airstep. Even if a foot did actually manage to get down below his waist at all times, during the entry, and exit to the move.

Sorry. :flower:

jive-vee
27th-February-2007, 10:01 PM
No option for going to freestyle, support (and make a hell of a lot of noise) and entering take a chance for a giggle (or for reasons I'll fail to think of as it starts:sick: )

x

Dorothy
27th-February-2007, 10:23 PM
L xx
Sounds fair enough - you are braver than me! :sick:
Good luck!

fletch
28th-February-2007, 09:11 AM
As i just do the donkey matt

blowing your own trumpet again :wink: :D

Northants Girly
28th-February-2007, 10:56 AM
So, I'm not sure in what language a person sitting on the shoulder wouldn't be classed as an airstep. Even if a foot did actually manage to get down below his waist at all times, during the entry, and exit to the move.

Sorry. :flower::yeah: absolutely

I can't imagine how anyone could NOT regard a move in which someone sits on their partners shoulders as an airstep!

OXO'S
28th-February-2007, 09:15 PM
I'll be there. Not competing this year though, but will be doing a wee stint on the decks:nice:
HI DD sees you there me old mate:clap: :cheers:

David Bailey
4th-March-2007, 11:31 AM
I can't imagine how anyone could NOT regard a move in which someone sits on their partners shoulders as an airstep!
Depends where the shoulders are at the time I imagine... :innocent:

Achaeco
4th-March-2007, 11:08 PM
C2D (achance2dance) would like to clear up the issue of "are Airsteps allowed in the Advanced Category". In short the answer is No.

If anyone wants to perform Airsteps then we have an Airsteps Category which
all are entitled to enter and we will extend the deadline to 9 March for
bookings in this category.

Full rules of all Categories are shown on our website. If anyone needs
further clarification then please contact one of the team either by email or
phone. All details are on the website. achance2dance (http://www.achance2dance.co.uk)

Each of the advanced competitors will be contacted over the next couple of
days by one of the team to ensure that they are fully clear on the rules for
the Advanced Category.

Look forward to seeing you all at the blackpool comp - all wearing your RED NOSES.

The C2D Team

straycat
5th-March-2007, 01:16 AM
blowing your own trumpet again :wink: :D

The yoga is clearly working then :innocent:

Degodier
7th-March-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm going up to Stanstead from the South - actually J8 M25, and parking at the airport for the weekend. I can fit in a few more southerners if you don't fancy grappling with the trains..... let me know!

Looking forward to my first comp, that banging noise you'll hear will be my knees....:grin:

Lynn
11th-March-2007, 04:28 PM
Just realised this weekend, if I'd planned ahead it would have been nice to pop over for this. Bank holiday weekend for NI and cheap flights from Belfast to Blackpool meant it would have been pretty straightforward.

Best wishes to all forumites competing. :hug:

jive-vee
11th-March-2007, 10:33 PM
Not long now 'til Blackpool. I'm certainly looking forward to it - my aims are to be as supportive (loud :whistle:) as I can be when my mates are competing, stay on my feet and not completely brick it/look like an idiot during DWAS, watch some fab cabarets (loved last year's superheroes :respect: ) and get some great dances during freestyle - maybe with some forumites although I don't really have a clue who anyone is haha.

x

fletch
12th-March-2007, 02:10 PM
- maybe with some forumites although I don't really have a clue who anyone is haha.

x

come and say hi, i'll point 'em out to you :flower:

jive-vee
12th-March-2007, 03:10 PM
Cheers:flower: , I might just do that if I'm feeling brave :blush: (a bit shy at times haha). I'll be with the ginger lot making a lot of noise haha.:yum:

TonyC2D
12th-March-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm going can't wait getting all excited now

fletch
12th-March-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm going can't wait getting all excited now

I bet that's worth seeing :whistle:

:D :hug:

Achaeco
12th-March-2007, 09:17 PM
I bet that's worth seeing :whistle:

:D :hug:

Fletch, its realy not, ive shared a room with him:D

TonyC2D
13th-March-2007, 12:00 AM
Matt you didn't complain, i even cooked your mushrooms how you liked them ........burnt

fletch
13th-March-2007, 09:30 AM
Matt you didn't complain, i even cooked your mushrooms how you liked them ........burnt

did you burn the mushrooms cos you were otherwise engaged :confused:

:whistle:

Patrick
13th-March-2007, 12:24 PM
Who's going to be at the Freestyle/Buffet on Friday night? Hope to catch up with some of you there. :nice:

Might be a little pre-occupied on Sat morning... :really:

Patrick :flower:

Dance Demon
13th-March-2007, 03:04 PM
Who's going to be at the Freestyle/Buffet on Friday night?

CJ and Me will be on the decks on Friday night.....Friday nights are becoming Scottish nights at Blackpool:clap: :clap: ...Remember to wear your red nose:D

fletch
13th-March-2007, 04:08 PM
...Remember to wear your red nose:D

he does permanently :rolleyes:

:D

TonyC2D
13th-March-2007, 06:55 PM
I think I may go on Friday night too, dj's sound good, well chosen line up to whoever did that:whistle:

fletch
13th-March-2007, 06:58 PM
I think I may go on Friday night too, dj's sound good, well chosen line up to whoever did that:whistle:

it mush have been a man with fab taste :wink:

:rofl: :clap:

Lindsay
14th-March-2007, 11:54 AM
GOOD LUCK to all who are competing, 'specially the Jocks!!! Sorry I won't be there, I'll be in Spain, what a bummer, have a good'un! :cheers:

Tiger Pants
14th-March-2007, 12:36 PM
GOOD LUCK to all who are competing, 'specially the Jocks!!! Sorry I won't be there, I'll be in Spain, what a bummer, have a good'un! :cheers:

Blackpool without Lindsay......can't be right...hope you have a great time on holiday and I'll bring u back a stick of rock (or something :wink: )

Charlie X

Dance Demon
14th-March-2007, 12:50 PM
Blackpool without Lindsay......can't be right...hope you have a great time on holiday and I'll bring u back a stick of rock (or something :wink: )

Charlie X

Is that rhyming slang Charlie?.....:wink:

Tiger Pants
14th-March-2007, 01:19 PM

Yeah....you know Linz she's always looking for a new dress :rolleyes:

See you at the weekend John

Dance Demon
14th-March-2007, 01:32 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...see ya Charlie:hug:

fletch
14th-March-2007, 04:15 PM

:eek: i'm shocked

Lindsay doesn't wear 'frocks' she's far to classy for that :worthy:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...see ya Charlie:hug:

don't think we don't know what your talking about :wink: :whistle:

:rofl:

johnah
14th-March-2007, 04:21 PM

Charlie X

Also, Fiona tells me your crowd aren't staying at our hotel this year. Well, since you gatecrashed us a couple of years ago, we kinda look forward to you all being there!

So, you all gonna join us in our exclusive 'club' on Friday night? :whistle:

fletch
14th-March-2007, 04:25 PM
Fiona tells me your crowd aren't staying at our hotel this year. :

i'm in the Grand Metropole Hotle, Britannia, with BRAMPOT, OXO'S and the children any one else in with us :confused:

Tiger Pants
14th-March-2007, 04:53 PM

So, you all gonna join us in our exclusive 'club' on Friday night? :whistle:

you try and stop me.......had such a great time last year I'll definately be there........note to self YOU MUST BE IN BED BEFORE 6.30 ON SAT MORNING....you must.....you must....whatever.....See you Friday J.

Tiggerbabe
14th-March-2007, 04:54 PM
Just you pray you get "Lollipop" in your heat, Charlie :D

Tiger Pants
14th-March-2007, 04:57 PM
Just you pray you get "Lollipop" in your heat, Charlie :D

I just hope I get Lollipop(ed) at some point over the weekend Sheena:wink: :wink:

Tiggerbabe
14th-March-2007, 04:58 PM
With those hips :drool: I'm sure you will :innocent:

Peaches
14th-March-2007, 06:16 PM
I just hope I get Lollipop(ed) at some point over the weekend Sheena:wink: :wink:

hopefully Billy Brown will be there and you can have a lick of his......lollipop:what: :innocent:

Mr Cool
14th-March-2007, 07:45 PM
Well I will be there to watch I guess I won't agree with the judges :really:

Hopefully a few of you northern ladies with serious attitude will give this soft southerner a dance :flower: :flower: :flower:

I'm the one with the Black 1930s flat Hat:whistle:

:waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

LittleSal
15th-March-2007, 12:08 AM
Hope Everyone going has a great time!Would love to be there too but sadly working.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL DANCERS COMPETING :flower: {especially the Scottish Dancers.}:grin: :respect: Must be loyal to the home team !!!:blush:

looking forward to hearing all about it.

Tiggerbabe
15th-March-2007, 01:16 AM
GOOD LUCK TO ALL DANCERS COMPETING :flower: {especially the Scottish Dancers.}:grin: :respect:
:yeah: Have a great time everyone :hug:

Wes
15th-March-2007, 07:59 AM
:respect:
GOOD LUCK TO ALL DANCERS COMPETING :respect:
(especially the Nottingham posse:whistle: )

Minnie M
15th-March-2007, 08:29 AM
Good luck to you ALL
and special hugs to a couple of lovely judges :awe:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Caz
15th-March-2007, 01:32 PM
i'm in the Grand Metropole Hotle, Britannia, with BRAMPOT, OXO'S and the children any one else in with us :confused:

any room for 2 little ones.... lol.... me and jamie coming and hoping to stay over somewhere .....

johnah
15th-March-2007, 02:13 PM
you try and stop me.......had such a great time last year I'll definately be there........note to self YOU MUST BE IN BED BEFORE 6.30 ON SAT MORNING....you must.....you must....whatever.....See you Friday J.

:waycool: :waycool: Blackpool would not be the same, without our Friday night party with our friends from north of the border!!! See you Friday night then, usual place.:clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers:

Ste
15th-March-2007, 04:09 PM
Anyone know of any cheap hotels/ b and b's still available?

TonyC2D
15th-March-2007, 04:49 PM
Chance 2 Dance are using the Metropole for our staff I think they may have some rooms left, Angie and I are staying there so there could be a party in the bar when we finally get back early hours sun morning, in advance ......sorry about the noise

Dance Demon
15th-March-2007, 06:38 PM
:waycool: :waycool: Blackpool would not be the same, without our Friday night party with our friends from north of the border!!! See you Friday night then, usual place.:clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers:

Any room for a couple of gatecrashers once I've finished DJing at the tower:D

TonyC2D
15th-March-2007, 06:46 PM
Any room for a couple of gatecrashers once I've finished DJing at the tower:D

Just make sure you sober up for your next set on Saturday :wink:

ElaineB
15th-March-2007, 07:11 PM
I'd just like to wish everyone the best of luck and hope you dance your best!

To the lovelys from Bristol,Cardiff & Cheltenham;

Mark and Jackie, Marty and Lyndsey, Chris and Sharon, Danni and Jenny, Bex and Graham, Mark W and Jenny, Danni and Frankie, Linn and Alex, Mark and Lizzi, Leslie and her partner - get out there and strut your stuff! :love: I'll be thinking of you!

Elaine

Heather
16th-March-2007, 01:53 AM

:yeah: :yeah: :whistle:

YOU MUST !!!!!!!!:rofl:

Heather
xx

under par
16th-March-2007, 02:00 AM
Good luck to everyone competing, I hope all who attend have a great weekend:yeah:

ducasi
16th-March-2007, 09:27 AM
Good luck to everyone competing, I hope all who attend have a great weekend:yeah:

Never mind if you win or not – just make sure you have fun. :)

Little Em
16th-March-2007, 12:15 PM
Is anybody leaving from Aberdeen today with room for a little one????

x

Lorna
19th-March-2007, 11:04 AM
:yeah: absolutely

Well, the couple who were placed third in this section thought this too as they did a move very similar to ours in their first round.

We decided to stick to the rules after speaking to one of the judges about it on the Friday night, but clearly we could have put it in!!!!:angry:

Lorna xx

Jamie
19th-March-2007, 05:23 PM
I saw this move Lorna, it was complying with the competition rules, one foot has to remain below the partners waist. Just before the Advanced Freestyle section started... The compare said that there had been some confusion as to what was and wasn't an airstep and then proceeded to quote the rules "one foot below the partners waist"

David Bailey
19th-March-2007, 05:35 PM
The compare said that there had been some confusion as to what was and wasn't an airstep and then proceeded to quote the rules "one foot below the partners waist"
Is that just me, or is that a really weird rule? :confused:

I know nothing about airsteps, but I'd assume that a good working definition is "two feet in the air at any time"? Which is what the both the Ceroc Champs (http://www.cerocchamps.com/categories.htm) and the Ceroc Midlands rules (http://www.cerocmidlands.co.uk/CategoryRules.htm) say,

Having said that, the Jivemasters rules (http://www.jivemasters.com/rules.html) also mentions the waist thing, so I guess there's some precedent. Still seems a bit weird to me tho - a very arbitrary judgement...

Mary
19th-March-2007, 05:41 PM

I know nothing about airsteps, but I'd assume that a good working definition is "two feet in the air at any time"? Which is what the both the Ceroc Champs (http://www.cerocchamps.com/categories.htm) and the Ceroc Midlands rules (http://www.cerocmidlands.co.uk/CategoryRules.htm) say,

Having said that, the Jivemasters rules (http://www.jivemasters.com/rules.html) also mentions the waist thing, so I guess there's some precedent. Still seems a bit weird to me tho - a very arbitrary judgement...

Perhaps it should have been classified as "no Major Airsteps" for Blackpool

M

Lorna
19th-March-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the comments guys,

I will reserve judgment 'til I see it on DVD again.

If I am wrong then fair enough. Should I really be that bothered anyway?

Lotsa love lorna x-x

TheTramp
19th-March-2007, 11:24 PM
I saw this move Lorna, it was complying with the competition rules, one foot has to remain below the partners waist. Just before the Advanced Freestyle section started... The compare said that there had been some confusion as to what was and wasn't an airstep and then proceeded to quote the rules "one foot below the partners waist"

I have to agree with DavidJames. It's a stupid rule. OKie. He said weird. But I'm sure that he meant stupid! :flower:

The rule says 'no airsteps'. It then tries to define itself by with a specification that one foot has to be below the waist at all time.

As said before in this thread, I'm not sure in what world someone sitting on shoulders isn't an airstep, even if one foot is somehow kept below the waist (at all times through the move?).

I think that there should be 2 options. No airsteps - 1 foot on the floor at all time. Or airsteps - do what you want.

Personally, I prefer option 1. But then, those people (and judges) that just want to see and do moves will be disappointed.

As a performing seal, I wonder if my partner in the advanced was the only female who kept her feet on the floor the entire time! :na:

Patrick
20th-March-2007, 01:01 AM

The intention of the rules is quite clear - just the wording is weird! Some limit on airsteps is imposed for safety reasons, and to encourage people to enter the airsteps category. The limit varies between competition, category, and keeps changing year by year.

It's just trying to make the distinction between baby aerials (one foot below waist in this case) and major aerials (as high as you like). It was clear that baby aerials are allowed at Blackpool Intermediate and Advanced (Open) categories, and major aerials are allowed in Spotlight (Showcase), Double Trouble and Team Cabaret.

The Ceroc definitions of baby/major aerials are different and are applied differently to the categories... though if the follower does an unassisted jump, it doesn't count as an airstep... If you get it wrong in the Ceroc comps, you invite disqualification, but there is some leeway for accidentally getting a bit carried away...

The Midlands Champs rules were copied from the Ceroc Champs so don't say anything new (no aerials of any kind in the intermediates). However, I noticed several couples at the Midlands Champs Intermediates clearly breaking the rules, and they weren't disqualified AFAIK.

David Bailey
20th-March-2007, 08:57 AM
The intention of the rules is quite clear - just the wording is weird! Some limit on airsteps is imposed for safety reasons, and to encourage people to enter the airsteps category. The limit varies between competition, category, and keeps changing year by year.

It's just trying to make the distinction between baby aerials (one foot below waist in this case) and major aerials (as high as you like). It was clear that baby aerials are allowed at Blackpool Intermediate and Advanced (Open) categories, and major aerials are allowed in Spotlight (Showcase), Double Trouble and Team Cabaret.
Fair enough, I guess - but then, a "sitting on the shoulders" move isn't a baby aerial, is it? Seems to be breaking the spirit of the rules at the very least. One could probably imagine lots of other variations which could keep to the letter of the "waist" rules, but break that intention...

From a practical perspective, it seems as though the wording of the rules was ineffective.

Although, those are the rules of the game - you can't blame people for exploiting the loopholes in the rules, that's arguably good competitive spirit - it's the responsibility of the organisers to get them right in the first place.

Patrick
20th-March-2007, 08:13 PM
Fair enough, I guess - but then, a "sitting on the shoulders" move isn't a baby aerial, is it? Seems to be breaking the spirit of the rules at the very least. One could probably imagine lots of other variations which could keep to the letter of the "waist" rules, but break that intention...

If you have any good ideas for barely legal lifts, let me know!

As with all rules, it's difficult to get them completely unambiguous, though the current wording could be clearer. I quite liked the 'sitting on the shoulders with one leg dangling' move, whatever its called. Like you say, pushing the limit, but inventive. There isn't a very clear distinction between baby and major airsteps - I've done beginners/baby aerials classes which included the Swan lift and other upside down moves, definitely more scary than sitting on the shoulders.

My rep seems to have shot up, such is your power David... :cheers:

ElaineB
20th-March-2007, 08:28 PM
Loads more photos have just been posted under 'Blackpool photos on the LeRoc In And Around Bristol (http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk) forum............

Elaine

Minnie M
20th-March-2007, 08:39 PM
Loads more photos have just been posted under 'Blackpool photos on the LeRoc In And Around Bristol (http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk) forum............

Elaine

What great photos - especially the weather ones !

Shame you can't 'side-show' them, I keep forgetting the ones I have seen

Lory
20th-March-2007, 09:11 PM
What great photos - especially the weather ones !

:yeah: Wow, the pics of the seafront are fantastic! :worthy:

David Bailey
20th-March-2007, 09:14 PM
If you have any good ideas for barely legal lifts, let me know!
If you're looking for constructive suggestions, you've come to the wrong place :rofl:

Actually, no, I don't have any suggestions - if you want to differentiate between aerial types, there's always going to be a grey area with potential loopholes. Although I'm still not sure why you want to differentiate in the first place... :confused:

The simplest rules are the extremes - i.e. any time both feet are off the ground, that's an aerial, and judged accordingly.

As with all rules, it's difficult to get them completely unambiguous, though the current wording could be clearer. I quite liked the 'sitting on the shoulders with one leg dangling' move, whatever its called. Like you say, pushing the limit, but inventive.
Yes - if it's legal, then there's a good case to say that the couple should be applauded for inventiveness. And no doubt variations on it will be used in future competitions.

There isn't a very clear distinction between baby and major airsteps - I've done beginners/baby aerials classes which included the Swan lift and other upside down moves, definitely more scary than sitting on the shoulders.
So why bother to differentiate then? What does it bring to the competition?

My rep seems to have shot up, such is your power David... :cheers:
Ooh, you smooth-talker you :)