PDA

View Full Version : Viewing 3gp files on a PC

robd
30th-January-2007, 11:29 AM
I have a Sony W810i walkman phone and have recorded a few dancing videos on it. Looking at it when connected to a laptop via USB it mounts the memory stick and the internal memory as a pair of drives which is fine for transferring music back and forth but the video files are in 3gp format which I haven't come acoross before. Is it simple to convert these into a format that Windows media Player or Quicktime will run? If so, how do I do it?

Robert

Beowulf
30th-January-2007, 11:33 AM
I have a Sony W810i walkman phone and have recorded a few dancing videos on it. Looking at it when connected to a laptop via USB it mounts the memory stick and the internal memory as a pair of drives which is fine for transferring music back and forth but the video files are in 3gp format which I haven't come acoross before. Is it simple to convert these into a format that Windows media Player or Quicktime will run? If so, how do I do it?

Robert

3GP will play under Quicktime. I think I have the latest version and .3GP files play fine with me.

I didn't download anything special to play them either. Just check your QT version

StokeBloke
30th-January-2007, 11:36 AM
You could give this free app (http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Misc__Sound_Tools/Mobile_3GP_converter_Download.html)a try.

pmjd
30th-January-2007, 11:56 AM
I've used Mobile Media Converter (http://www.miksoft.net/mobileMediaConverter.htm) before and it's worked fine and is free.

Jamie
30th-January-2007, 12:15 PM
It really is just easier to get the latest version of QuickTime...

pmjd
30th-January-2007, 12:26 PM
OK I didn't read the original post in enough detail, I saw the words converter and remembered something useful. I've had some problems in the past viewing .3gp videos and converting them made life easier, so it's just a handy option to know about if things go wrong.

EDIT: sorry Jamie I'm very tired, busy and not taking everything in, didn't mean to have a go

Lee Bartholomew
30th-January-2007, 12:42 PM
Mind you (and I know im going to get ripped by the apple lot) but quicktime seems to have caused problems on every machine I have run it on :what:.

StokeBloke
30th-January-2007, 01:11 PM
Mind you (and I know im going to get ripped by the apple lot) but quicktime seems to have caused problems on every machine I have run it on :what:.
:yeah: QuickTime is the work of Lucifer and all of his demons. Every single last one!

Beowulf
30th-January-2007, 01:13 PM

I am PC through and through, Used an Apple Mac ages ago when I was in High school. So am not one of the "Apple Lot" However, I've never had any problems with quicktime.. The only thing I don't like is it bundling with ITunes. but you can download versions sans ITunes so really no problem there.

What sort of problems?

StokeBloke
30th-January-2007, 02:25 PM
What sort of problems?
Well the fact that it loads itself everytime you boot Windows without asking, and there is no easy way to disable this 'feature' for a start. Nasty, nasty, nasty.... :puke:

Beowulf
30th-January-2007, 02:35 PM
Well the fact that it loads itself everytime you boot Windows without asking, and there is no easy way to disable this 'feature' for a start. Nasty, nasty, nasty.... :puke:

so many other programs do that too. anyway, it's pretty easy to disable. I have a program I wrote that runs at PC shut down and cleans out selected auto run entries in the registry. You can delete them manually if you wish, but some when you run them automatically re-insert them.

But even if it does run it doesn't crash my PC or consume huge swathes of memory. At home I always have ActiveSync running, McAfee, QT, a few other apps both purchased and written by myself all of which run minimised with no problems.

But each to their own. I'm not a fan of some packages myself so who am I to preach :)

I tend to use the best tool for the job. QT , real player and Windows Media all do the job for me.

Jamie
30th-January-2007, 02:35 PM
OK I didn't read the original post in enough detail, I saw the words converter and remembered something useful. I've had some problems in the past viewing .3gp videos and converting them made life easier, so it's just a handy option to know about if things go wrong.

EDIT: sorry Jamie I'm very tired, busy and not taking everything in, didn't mean to have a go

Don't be sorry! Afterall the last time I read this thread was when I last posted so don't know what you were having a go at! Hehe, nevermind eh!

As for StokeBlokes comment, there is a way of getting it to stop loading when windows boots up.. MSCONFIG for a start... But instead of getting too technical, just lookin in options/preferences...

killingtime
30th-January-2007, 05:38 PM
I've used QuickTime for them in the past but VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) apparently supports them if you don't want to use QuickTime and it's free in an open source sort of way.