PDA

View Full Version : Manhattans

Gav
25th-January-2007, 01:49 PM
Well I've searched, read and got frustrated because I keep hearing talk about manhattans in various threads. :confused:

Can someone please explain exactly what they are? :flower:

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 02:07 PM
Cocktail init? I'll have one if you're buying. :D

Jhutch
25th-January-2007, 02:14 PM
Thank you:clap: :clap: :clap:

I thought it was just me who didn't know what they were!:grin:

Only thing i associate it with is a pretty dodgy club back in shrewsbury when i was at sixth form:sick: :sick:

Ghost
25th-January-2007, 02:14 PM
Well I've searched, read and got frustrated because I keep hearing talk about manhattans in various threads. :confused:

Ok you see the couple in your avatar doing those lovely ochoes - start from the basic frame they start in. Lead the lady to take one step back. Then one step forward. Repeat.

That's it. There's variations of course. Oh and don't forget to chat :whistle:

Gav
25th-January-2007, 03:13 PM
Cocktail init? I'll have one if you're buying. :D

Me? Buy drinks? Don't be so ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Ok you see the couple in your avatar doing those lovely ochoes - start from the basic frame they start in. Lead the lady to take one step back. Then one step forward. Repeat.

That's it. There's variations of course. Oh and don't forget to chat :whistle:

so basically you're just stepping backwards and forwards on the same foot over and over again?

David Bailey
25th-January-2007, 03:14 PM
I think Ceroc calls them Mambos...?

I call them forward-and-backs :)

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 03:16 PM
Me? Buy drinks? Don't be so ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Dont worry...i'll buy them...i have plenty of champagne at my house. :na:

Gav
25th-January-2007, 03:17 PM
I think Ceroc calls them Mambos...?

I call them forward-and-backs :)

Ahhhh, I thought Ghost's description sounded familiar.
Thanks to both of you. :worthy:

CJ
25th-January-2007, 03:18 PM
Dont worry...i'll buy them...i have plenty of champagne at my house. :na:

U celebrating?!?!??:confused:

foxylady
25th-January-2007, 03:21 PM
here's a link to a description in a whole database of Mj moves... (http://ccgi.dancecrave.plus.com/bb.php?singlemove=373)

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 03:23 PM
U celebrating?!?!??:confused:

Dont need a reason to get drunk......a scotsman looking for a reason to drink? What is the world coming to. :D

Gav
25th-January-2007, 03:25 PM
Cool, thanks everyone.
Seems I've been doing it whenever the music suits anyway! Just didn't know it was called a manhattan!

Now, about that fizzy wine. Enough for me & CJ? :flower:

Whitebeard
25th-January-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes, I know them as Mambo steps and it has recently occured to me that they would be a good way to add a little introductory bluesiness to my dance.

Gav
25th-January-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't remember if it was the way it was taught or my own bodge, but I lead them with my left hand low at waist level, using a twist of my frame to pull and push through that hand.
Seems to work well enough, but would that be seen as incorrect?

David Bailey
25th-January-2007, 04:03 PM
Yes, I know them as Mambo steps and it has recently occured to me that they would be a good way to add a little introductory bluesiness to my dance.

They're also very good fundamental steps to get you into thinking about slotted dancing rather than circular dancing.

And if you expand them to "X-steps-forward-and-Y-steps-back" moves (where X and Y are greater than 1), and if you can lead a partner into that, without her stopping automatically on (say) 3 steps, you're well into Tango Territory.

I don't remember if it was the way it was taught or my own bodge, but I lead them with my left hand low at waist level, using a twist of my frame to pull and push through that hand.
Yes - stop leading with your hand. :na:

Whitebeard
25th-January-2007, 04:38 PM
And if you expand them to "X-steps-forward-and-Y-steps-back" moves (where X and Y are greater than 1), and if you can lead a partner into that, without her stopping automatically on (say) 3 steps, you're well into Tango Territory.

Sorry, don't wish to go there. I'd rather expand them into slow-slow-quick-quick-slow and glide into Ballroom territory ;-)

Mezzosoprano
25th-January-2007, 05:26 PM

Love that move! Very "tango" and can be Very Dramatic if you hold the pose well at the end!

Gav
25th-January-2007, 05:36 PM
Love that move! Very "tango" and can be Very Dramatic if you hold the pose well at the end!

Do you Tango Mezzosoprano? :cool:

Mezzosoprano
25th-January-2007, 05:38 PM
Only if I'm asked VERY nicely!:blush:

Gav
25th-January-2007, 05:39 PM
Only if I'm asked VERY nicely!:blush:

Is there any other way? :innocent:

MartinHarper
25th-January-2007, 06:18 PM
If you expand them to "X-steps-forward-and-Y-steps-back" moves (where X and Y are greater than 1), and if you can lead a partner into that, without her stopping automatically on (say) 3 steps, you're well into Tango Territory.

Tango territory... or Foxtrot, or Waltz, or Lindy, or....
In fact, is there a dance out there that doesn't have that move?

FirstMove
25th-January-2007, 06:24 PM
Handjiving?

Yogi_Bear
25th-January-2007, 06:36 PM

Leader basically has fixed right foot and steps forward left in front of right and back left behind right, follower mirrors this with fixed right foot and stepping back then forwards right. I think they work well if you start with the first move, swivel round to face as partner passes your right side, continue to step forwards left as above, keeping left hand low and right hand behind partner's back maintains the frame. Definitely a quiet left hand and the footwork is usually enough to lead it. You can also rotate your parner ACW and repeat the step facing the other way.

Mezzosoprano
25th-January-2007, 07:59 PM
Is there any other way? :innocent:

You'd be surprised! I would say I'm probably what could be called an "enthusiastic amateur" when it comes to Tango:flower:

Gav
25th-January-2007, 10:34 PM
You'd be surprised! I would say I'm probably what could be called an "enthusiastic amateur" when it comes to Tango:flower:

Well having had 5 lessons now I'm a bit of a veteran! :eek: :wink: :rofl:

Sheepman
26th-January-2007, 01:52 AM
Definitely a quiet left hand :yeah: It is be perfectly leadable without using the left hand at all, the connection being through your right arm to the back of her shoulder.

Greg

Gav
26th-January-2007, 09:29 AM

Yes - stop leading with your hand. :na:

keeping left hand low and right hand behind partner's back maintains the frame. Definitely a quiet left hand and the footwork is usually enough to lead it. You can also rotate your parner ACW and repeat the step facing the other way.

:yeah: It is be perfectly leadable without using the left hand at all, the connection being through your right arm to the back of her shoulder.

I think (hope?) DJ was taking the p1ss and deliberately mis-understanding. My lead for this move comes from neither hand, I was merely describing their positioning. :na:

Double Trouble
26th-January-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm a bit of a veteran! :eek: :wink: :rofl:

Rubbish....! I saw you eat a hamburger last week.....err...hang on....

TurboTomato
26th-January-2007, 10:18 AM
Rubbish....! I saw you eat a hamburger last week.....err...hang on....

Taxi for DT!! :na: ;)

MartinHarper
26th-January-2007, 10:34 AM
My lead for this move comes from neither hand

For the last manhattan in a series I tend to have some arm-lead. This sets up tension to exit the move. I do the same to prep for an ACW manhattan, come to that.

Gav
26th-January-2007, 10:38 AM
For the last manhattan in a series I tend to have some arm-lead. This sets up tension to exit the move. I do the same to prep for an ACW manhattan, come to that.

Brilliant! Thanks, my exit from these is always a bit ropey. I'll give that a try next time.

David Bailey
26th-January-2007, 11:18 AM
Brilliant! Thanks, my exit from these is always a bit ropey. I'll give that a try next time.
Manhattans are also great for setting up cross-body lead moves, as you've got the follower into a "slotted" mindset.

Actually, they're great set-up moves for lots of things...

Double Trouble
26th-January-2007, 11:46 AM
Taxi for DT!! :na: ;)

I'll get my coat. :tears:

Mezzosoprano
26th-January-2007, 12:18 PM
I'll get my coat. :tears:

Hang on... wait for me! Where's the taxi going anyway?! Night Nurse is fabulous stuff by the way!

Double Trouble
26th-January-2007, 12:32 PM
Hang on... wait for me! Where's the taxi going anyway?!

Inverness....apparently. :whistle:

Mezzosoprano
26th-January-2007, 12:42 PM
Inverness....apparently. :whistle:

Hey there's nothing wrong with Inverness! Well... not that much anyway... It's a lovely day. there's a blue sky. It's not very cold. Tesco's have dropped their diesel price by a penny... what's not to like?!

Double Trouble
26th-January-2007, 12:50 PM
Tesco's have dropped their diesel price by a penny... what's not to like?!

I take it, from that comment, that you are a native, not a visitor to Inverness?
:flower: :wink: :flower:

Mezzosoprano
26th-January-2007, 01:03 PM
Not strictly - I'm from further north but work in Inverness so moved into town to cut down the commute which was doing my head in!

Speaking on behalf of the Scottish Tourist Board (who I don't work for) It is really good here if you can deal with the changing weather and fab if you like the outdoor life. I lived in Brisbane, Queensland for 3 1/2 years and I'd take the rain over the heat and humidity any day.... and they don't have Irn Bru or Bisto Gravy in Australia. Not to annoy our Australian Friends... there are some good things in Australia.... like cricketters for instance

Double Trouble
26th-January-2007, 01:11 PM
Anyway.....manhattans...whats that all about?:rolleyes:

Beowulf
26th-January-2007, 01:39 PM
Anyway.....Manhattan's...whats that all about?:rolleyes:

http://www.skyfall.co.uk/forum/shrug.gif I dunno.. I guess I'll have to ask Freya or Genie (or Trampy or Gadget for that matter) to demo one with me next Tuesday. As although I THINK I know what's going on, I'm not exactly sure I have it going right in my head (am not right in my head in oh so many ways ;) ) http://www.skyfall.co.uk/forum/shrug.gif

David Bailey
26th-January-2007, 01:50 PM
http://www.skyfall.co.uk/forum/shrug.gif I dunno.. I guess I'll have to ask Freya or Genie (or Trampy or Gadget for that matter) to demo one with me next Tuesday. As although I THINK I know what's going on, I'm not exactly sure I have it going right in my head (am not right in my head in oh so many ways ;) ) http://www.skyfall.co.uk/forum/shrug.gif
:what: It's the simplest move on the planet - forward on your left, then back on your right. Doddle.

Whitebeard
26th-January-2007, 02:28 PM
:what: It's the simplest move on the planet - forward on your left, then back on your right. Doddle.

Eh, you sure about that? Or am I just not reading it right.

StokeBloke
26th-January-2007, 02:32 PM
Manhattans are also great for setting up cross-body lead moves, as you've got the follower into a "slotted" mindset.

Actually, they're great set-up moves for lots of things...
I love this move, although I didn't know it was called a Manhattan. My exit is also a bit ropey, being as I nicked the move from something I saw somewhere and I paid more attention to the entry than the exit (stop giggling at the back).

I tend to just move back slightly more on my last one lifting my left arm and using my right hand to turn my partner CW under my left hand. Like I said, ropey but it works kind of OK :rolleyes: It's not exactly a study in the art of graceful dance though and it kind of clashes with the smoothness of the rest of the move - the exit really feels nailed onto the end as an afterthought... ummm I wonder why that could be :whistle:

You speak of these better exits and using them for setting up moves, but as a newbie I'm struggling to understand what else I could be doing with this nice move (I like the idea of 180 degree turn and doing a few more though)... slotted... cross body lead moves... HELP !! :eek:

David Bailey
26th-January-2007, 02:52 PM
You speak of these better exits and using them for setting up moves, but as a newbie I'm struggling to understand what else I could be doing with this nice move
Well, err, anything really. The main point is that they get you into mirrorred and slotted dancing, from which any number of goody good things can be done.

I usually use them as connecting moves in between cross-body lead moves, but you can also do West Manhattan-type moves, pauses, rocksteps, Eskimos... lots of stuff really.

(and don't blame me, I don't make these silly move names up)

StokeBloke
26th-January-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, err, anything really. The main point is that they get you into mirrorred and slotted dancing, from which any number of goody good things can be done.

I usually use them as connecting moves in between cross-body lead moves, but you can also do West Manhattan-type moves, pauses, rocksteps, Eskimos... lots of stuff really.

(and don't blame me, I don't make these silly move names up)Ohhh I guess you could pause and then trundle off in a Columbian, that sort of thing... I really need to try and get more creative. There's just so much to try and remember...... :eek:

Beowulf
26th-January-2007, 05:15 PM

I'm either now doing the splits or walking round in circles?

I'm just confuses as the original description for Gav stated that you start with an Ochoes? .. I don't even know what an ochoe is ;) sounds painful if you ask me.

David Bailey
26th-January-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm either now doing the splits or walking round in circles?
Ooops, b&gger, silly me.

I meant, forward on your left, back on your left, of course :blush:

(I think I was subconsciously thinking of the salsa version, duh...)

I'm just confuses as the original description for Gav stated that you start with an Ochoes? .. I don't even know what an ochoe is ;) sounds painful if you ask me.
Have a look here:
http://tango.smoothouse.com/dance/Ocho