PDA

View Full Version : Australian and English Ceroc Move names?

Crispy
25th-January-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi there, I am a new Ceroc dancer, and recently bought a couple of Australian Ceroc DVDs to help me get to grips with a few moves. They are both beginner and intermediate DVDs.

What I'd like to know is this: Are there significant differences between Australian and English Ceroc, in terms of a) The names for various moves, and b) the technicalities of the moves themselves?

Any help/pointers appreciated!

Dreadful Scathe
25th-January-2007, 01:47 PM
differences between Australian and English Ceroc

Interesting you asked this on a Scottish forum :rofl:

I'm sure the answer is yes, but i don't think we have a glossary for that. Unless Gadget wrote one :)

drathzel
25th-January-2007, 02:08 PM
step under (aus) is the step across (uk)

ask tramp he'll be able to help:hug:

Dreadful Scathe
25th-January-2007, 02:22 PM
he's Welsh so what'll he know ? :)

TheTramp
25th-January-2007, 03:22 PM
he's Welsh so what'll he know ? :)

Usually bugger all.

But on this occasion, yes. There are differences in the names. As Dee has said, they call the "step across" the "step under". Another one that comes to mind is the "man spin", which they call the "man breakthru".

Those are just beginner moves. I'm sure that there's plenty of differences once you get onto the intermediate moves.

Having said that, there's differences in the names between the different jive organisations in the UK - Blitz (and others I'm sure) call the First Move, the Basic (for example).

As for the technicalities. Yes. In some things like footwork; which they teach. Until recently, CMJ (in Sydney - I don't know which companies DVDs you have) taught different footwork for beginners and intermediates. That changed to a single footwork style as of this year. I'm sure that there's other examples too.

David Bailey
25th-January-2007, 03:45 PM
See, the easiest way to not worry about this, is to never do moves :)

(Having said that, I think silly move names are endemic to all dance forms)

NZ Monkey
25th-January-2007, 04:14 PM
See, the easiest way to not worry about this, is to never do moves :)

(Having said that, I think silly move names are endemic to all dance forms)Or music even? Does anyone else snigger when they hear the term hemi-demi-semi-quaver? :na:

Andreas
25th-January-2007, 04:33 PM
There are even variations in names between OZ and NZ, so there will certainly be some between OZ and UK. But as DJ said, don't get hung up on names of moves. At the end of the day you'll be unlikely to call the names out, you'll either lead or follow.

Regarding one example Trampy mentioned: man spin -> break through, in NZ these are two different moves with the difference in the lateral progression being absent (spin) or present (b/t).

DavidY
26th-January-2007, 09:12 AM
Or music even? Does anyone else snigger when they hear the term hemi-demi-semi-quaver? :na:I believe there are geographic differences in naming there too.

While I was brought up with crotchets and semi-quavers, I think the Americans are much more likely to talk about quarter-notes, sixteenth-notes etc.

Alice
26th-January-2007, 06:13 PM
There are even variations in names between OZ and NZ
Heck, there are variations in names within Sydney:whistle:

philsmove
26th-January-2007, 08:21 PM
English - "bowled out" (for 110):tears: :sad: :sick: :blush:

Aus -- ??????

jiveoholic
26th-January-2007, 11:47 PM
Some differences are at http://www.jiveoholic.org.uk/book/book.htm.

Click on dialects and then "turn the page" by clicking the top right.

Sorry - but some say this has the worst properties of a book without any of the benefits of the web!