PDA

View Full Version : Dance as a way of improving skills in other areas

Andy McGregor
25th-January-2007, 10:31 AM
I've just received an email from a lady who started with us recently. Here it is;

I Horse ride three times a week and since starting some more advance riding, struggled somewhat to get to grips and understand it all, since starting to dance again it has improved my riding skills. To ride at a more advanced level you need to watch and listen for signals from your horse, maintain a firm contact without pulling and pushing, keep your balance and to stop a horse as they say "falling in" be able to switch that balance to counteract them falling, then bring yourself and your horse back straight and balanced, maintain rhythm and impulsion!! I now see Billy (my horse, well heathers really) more as a dance partner, move together, listen and watch. Real shame Heathers Husband will not come along, he is an amazing rider, however I am sure Dancing skills would add to his "amazing!"

I was wondering if dancing had brought similar improvements for people in other areas. For me, it improved my balance on the bow of a boat in high seas.

whitetiger1518
25th-January-2007, 11:30 AM
I have been told that I am stronger generally, and even although I have stopped dancing so much since September the strength is lasting. I have unfortunately :( noticed that since I have had to stop coming to classes (About to change - yay :)) my concentration and general mental ability have spiralled downwards.. I think my sleep pattern has evened out slightly too.

Cheers

Whitetiger

(I seem to be correcting more spelling errors lately too ;))

TurboTomato
25th-January-2007, 11:45 AM
For me, it improved my balance on the bow of a boat in high seas.

Hello sailor! :na:

whitetiger1518
25th-January-2007, 11:50 AM
Work distracted me :eek: I should have edited that to say "While I was dancing regularly my sleep patterns evened" - 2.30 am is not a time anyone should be awake for :tears: (feeling slightly dislocated just now :sick: )

Anyway back to topic :)

Whitetiger

PS Work should be banned to prevent it getting in the way of Dancing and The Forum! :rofl: I wish :rofl:

Jhutch
25th-January-2007, 12:05 PM
I would like to say that my improved balance and co-ordination from dancing meant that i took to snowboarding like a natural and was whizzing down the slopes amazing everyone:clap: :clap: :clap: Unfortunately its not true:tears: :tears: :tears:

StokeBloke
25th-January-2007, 12:37 PM
Since starting to dance my juggling has certainly improved. Something else that needs communication between the left and right sides of the brain. I think my dancing has helped with this, as well as my spatial awareness - although I'm sure those who dance near me would disagree :D:D:D

Trousers
25th-January-2007, 12:54 PM
Billy ?

Billy ? ?

Did she really say BILLY THE HORSE!!?

It's six foot tall, wears steel toes caps, can jump high fences, bites people it doesn't like and she called it BILLY?

straycat
25th-January-2007, 01:07 PM
It's six foot tall, wears steel toes caps, can jump high fences, bites people it doesn't like and she called it BILLY?

Would it help if it wore a pair of six-shooters and a stetson?

Dreadful Scathe
25th-January-2007, 01:23 PM
Would it help if it wore a pair of six-shooters and a stetson?
whats a horse going to do with a six-shooter ?

Cruella
25th-January-2007, 01:37 PM
It's improved my riding skills too.

(Is it just me that read the email on another level?):blush:

TurboTomato
25th-January-2007, 01:39 PM

Rob a bank?

Achaeco
25th-January-2007, 02:15 PM

OOERR:whistle:

Double Trouble
25th-January-2007, 02:23 PM

Sicko. :rofl:

straycat
25th-January-2007, 02:29 PM

I was trying to allude to the fact that not all creatures called 'Billy' have a reputation for being gentle and cuddly. Maybe my post was a touch too obscure.

Andy McGregor
25th-January-2007, 03:37 PM
(Is it just me that read the email on another level?):blush:Yes :innocent:

Mythical
31st-January-2007, 11:11 PM
My favourite Horse name is "Binky" as in Death's Horse from the Discworld books....now THAT'S a wierd name for a horse that belongs to the reaper!

Anyway I wonder if my Riding has improved since I started Jive....hmmmm!
I wonder if my Jive has benefitted from my Riding??? I was always told that riders shouldn't dance and vice versa!

I shall have to keep an eye on this!!

Lynn
1st-February-2007, 01:26 AM
Hmm, keeping on the equine theme, balance and core strength are important so I can see dancing helping there or vice versa. I used to stand up on some horses backs while they walked round the paddock etc. (probably not a good idea but you're totally fearless when you're that age!)

I have a friend who was knocked off his bicycle at a roundabout. He quickly threw himself to one side and reckoned that his reflexes were faster because he dances and that otherwise he may have been under the wheels of the car.

SeriouslyAddicted
1st-February-2007, 09:59 AM
balance and core strength are important so I can see dancing helping there or vice versa.

:yeah: also helps me with my trampolining.

It has also helped my posture a lot - probably thanks to Paul the Trainer nagging at me not to hunch up!

LMC
1st-February-2007, 01:35 PM
I told someone off this morning for literally leaning on me on the tube (not just bumping into me, which can't be helped, actually leaning). Despite having a handspace on the rail the fat git was still physically unable to hold his balance on the moving tube so was treating me like the nearest wall :mad:

My posture, balance and core strength still need work, but just standing on the underground makes it noticeable that that they are much better than in my pre-dancing days. I find it quite amusing watching everyone else wobble around while I stay upright. But then I am horrible.