PDA

View Full Version : Competitions: Can Taxi Dancers enter as "Intermediate"?

DavidY
24th-January-2007, 10:06 PM
I just had a thought, following on from my "Formal employment of Taxi Dancers (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11157)" thread.

If I were to apply to be a taxi dancer and receive payment, would that mean I couldn't enter competitions at Intermediate level?

For instance, the rules for Blackpool define a teacher thus:
Definition of a Teacher or Professional - anyone who teaches or has taught in the last two years with payment any form of jive orientated dance.The definition for the Weston Super Mare comp in July is very similar. I couldn't find current rules for Musselburgh, but I found something from a couple of years ago which excludes "Paid teachers" from some categories.

So does that mean taxi dancers (at least in franchises where they are paid) can only enter the "teacher-only" categories? :eek:

What about taxi dancers (or folk doing a similar role with a different title) who aren't paid, but are rewarded in other ways (Admit Ones, Free Admission, etc.)?

TheTramp
24th-January-2007, 10:12 PM
I can't imagine anyone having a problem with taxi-dancers (or local equivalent) dancing in the intermediate.

I would interprete it to mean people who teach from the stage.

Achaeco
24th-January-2007, 10:26 PM
I just had a thought, following on from my "Formal employment of Taxi Dancers (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11157)" thread.

If I were to apply to be a taxi dancer and receive payment, would that mean I couldn't enter competitions at Intermediate level?

For instance, the rules for Blackpool define a teacher thus:The definition for the Weston Super Mare comp in July is very similar. I couldn't find current rules for Musselburgh, but I found something from a couple of years ago which excludes "Paid teachers" from some categories.

So does that mean taxi dancers (at least in franchises where they are paid) can only enter the "teacher-only" categories? :eek:

What about taxi dancers (or folk doing a similar role with a different title) who aren't paid, but are rewarded in other ways (Admit Ones, Free Admission, etc.)?

We at the uk open jive competition have no problem with a Taxi dancer entering as an intermediate as long as you have not been paid to teach as a teacher in any such form.
Full details can be found on www.achance2dance.co.uk under rules.

DavidY
24th-January-2007, 10:40 PM
We at the uk open jive competition have no problem with a Taxi dancer entering as an intermediate as long as you have not been paid to teach as a teacher in any such form.
Full details can be found on www.achance2dance.co.uk under rules.Thanks for that clarification.

I guess my question is really how you tell the difference between a teacher and a "taxi-dancer" type of role, if both are paid and both receive training (albeit in different amounts).

What defines a "teacher" for your purposes?