PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc Exams

Gus
26th-June-2003, 09:43 PM
Having taking a slurp of thinking waters (OK ... so it was a very LARGE Bacardi and Coke but the effect is the same) .... the end to the debate about who is a good or bad dancers is clear!

As Ceroc is able to define what is and isn't a Ceroc move it is only a small step forward to instigate a series of competence assesment exams, as in Music or 'proper' dancing (i.e. Ballroom). All dancers seeking accreditation would simply have to trog down to their local exam board (probably based in London, especially if you're from Scotland) and face a panel of judges and try to pass your grade exams.

Of course, only those passing the requisite exams would be allowed to call themselves Advanced, Super Advanced, DAMN Good etc etc. A sure moneyspinner for Ceroc and an ego booster for everyone else. OK ... when do we start:wink:

Alfie
27th-June-2003, 12:11 AM
O.K so why allow Ceroc the pleasure? Why dont you in your infinate capability as O.D.A. start an independant Modern Jive review examinations board. Based in the north west of England so at least it would be in the middle of the country. Gold medals etc could be handed out at the premier dnace events outside of the M25.

Grant
27th-June-2003, 11:29 AM
I think this is a good idea Gus, as it would give dancers a 'non competitive' route to improve their dancing. And perhaps it would mean that Ceroc intermediate classes would repeat a core group of moves more often rather than trying to work their way through all of the 500 odd at their disposal.

:cheers:
Grant

Chicklet
27th-June-2003, 11:39 AM
It's only gonna work if there are sew on badges awarded for each level.

PeterL
27th-June-2003, 11:56 AM
I have to butt in here, I have read so many threads about competitions and how they are subjective, how would it be a good idea to award levels of proficiency for dancing in a certain way as judged by others.

The whole beaty of ceroc (modern jive) is you can play with the moves, you can make up your own. you can add your own style or incorporate a style from another form of dance.

Gus is obviously trying to play ODA here because I can't seriously think he thinks this would be a good idea.

If you want everyone dancing exactly the same then that would be the way to go, but personally I would very quickly get bored of ceroc if I thought I had to dance each move exactly as was taught.

intermediate and advanced ceroc is more to do with the ability to lead and improvise and you can be a brilliant dancer to one person and the worst dancer to the next.

Please Gus admit it now you are just trying to have a joke with us by suggesting this ridiculous idea.

:wink:

Rachel
27th-June-2003, 11:59 AM
Hmm, interesting idea ....

However, I know many many people would disagree, but I can't for the life of me think why anyone would choose to do an exam for a hobby like this - unless you were aiming to teach or something.

Is it because people want something to aim for/a challenge/need to prove something to themselves? But surely you don't need a certificate/medal to motivate you and tell you how good you are, do you?

The reason I gave up tae kwon do was because I wasn't allowed to do it 'just for fun' and kept being pressed to do gradings. Before the last of my gradings, full of nerves, I suddenly thought - this isn't fun, why am I doing it? So I stopped. Which is a shame in a way because I've never been as thin or as fit as when I did tae kwon do....

Still, having said all that, as long as Ceroc or modern jive exams remained discretionary, then that's fine by me!

Rachel

Dreadful Scathe
27th-June-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by PeterL

Please Gus admit it now you are just trying to have a joke with us by suggesting this ridiculous idea.

Course he's not, Gus is always 100% serious in all his posts - the O.D.A tag is just a cover (that no one ever seems to pay attention to strangely lol) ;)

Sal
27th-June-2003, 12:31 PM
The best thing about being a follower, is that you get to sample many different dancing styles and techniques. Exams would just narrow the syllabus and the styles.

The beauty of ceroc is that it is just for fun. There are many threads on the forum about how awful competitions are. If you dont like them, don't go. Instead frequent the freestyles/classes that you do like.

Gadget
27th-June-2003, 12:43 PM
{I'm sure that this has been covered in another thread somewhere...}

Exams I think are a bad move, but some keepsake or recognition that you have attended specific workshops would be cool: you could get a passport stamped (or a sew on badge for chickie's brownie uniform) to show you had attended it.

I think that people would be even more 'clique-ish' {sp?} if there was a way to discriminate between "Good" dancers and "Beginner" dancers.

Personally I judge my ability by a few milestones: "oh good" when a lady is rotated to me; activly being sought out by a lady; being asked to stay on for another dance; { ... perhaps this is more noteriety than ability...} How can you put these things into an exam?

Sal
27th-June-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
... perhaps this is more noteriety than ability

We are just being polite.

Chicklet
27th-June-2003, 12:58 PM
Gus, these exams need to have an oral as well as a physical. Please make sure this is included.

Sal
27th-June-2003, 01:02 PM
Does the oral have anything to do with your tag line?:devil:

Chicklet
27th-June-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Sal
Does the oral have anything to do with your tag line?:devil:
Gus PMed me and said I could be chairchick of the exam panel.:devil: :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
27th-June-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet

ooh Matron!

Sal
27th-June-2003, 01:12 PM

That's cos you know what your are doing!

Chicklet
27th-June-2003, 01:18 PM
bit out of practice though....might need to organise a workshop to hone the old skills:devil:

this'll be Friday afternoon then:rofl: and just goes to show we don't actually NEED old scooby slap head to lead the smut:sorry

Dreadful Scathe
27th-June-2003, 01:25 PM
we don't actually NEED old scooby slap head to lead the smut:sorry

:rofl: :rofl:

Chicklet
27th-June-2003, 01:35 PM
(don't you go telling him I said that now!!!! he'll be quite hurt if he thinks we're not missing him)

that said, it probably would have been onto its third page if he was here :innocent:

Sal
27th-June-2003, 02:00 PM
Well, some of us have to pretend to be working!

Chicklet
27th-June-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Sal
Well, some of us have to pretend to be working!

oh Sal sorry that wasn't a dig at ALL !!!! just me remembering a couple of times when we went on and on and on and on being REALLY silly and suddenly clicked after a few pages that there wasn't another soul on :rofl:

Sal
27th-June-2003, 02:10 PM
Don't worry, wasn't offended, just looking for the pause button, so you cannot have fun without me!

Grant
27th-June-2003, 02:45 PM
I have read so many threads about competitions and how they are subjective, how would it be a good idea to award levels of proficiency for dancing in a certain way as judged by others.
i think Gus was talking about competency rather than proficiency ie can you do the move in time with the music rather than how stylish you are

The whole beaty of ceroc (modern jive) is you can play with the moves, you can make up your own. you can add your own style or incorporate a style from another form of dance.
If you want everyone dancing exactly the same then that would be the way to go, but personally I would very quickly get bored of ceroc if I thought I had to dance each move exactly as was taught.
Gus didn't suggest that the moves you do in freestyle should be standardised

intermediate and advanced ceroc is more to do with the ability to lead and improvise and you can be a brilliant dancer to one person and the worst dancer to the next.
i agree that this would probably work better at the beginner levels. but it would be nice if we all had a common core of intermediate moves that we could use as a basis for our development and improvisation.

Grant
PS. Sorry for interrupting the oral chain of thought Chickie.

PeterL
27th-June-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Grant

i agree that this would probably work better at the beginner levels. but it would be nice if we all had a common core of intermediate moves that we could use as a basis for our development and improvisation.

I could not disagree more. If we all had a common core of moves then we would all dance the same. The best comments I get when dancing is that the followers haven't got a clue what I am doing. If ceroc became standardised in any way then I would walk away from it and just do my own thing.

those who want certificates of how briliant they are should take up swimming.

ceroc is accessible and non-judgmental, if you started grading people it would lose all that it has going for it.

Chicklet
27th-June-2003, 02:49 PM
i think Gus was talking about etc

I think Gus's "thinking waters" were talking to see who rose to the bait!!:D

Grant
27th-June-2003, 02:55 PM
I think Gus's "thinking waters" were talking to see who rose to the bait!!:D
being ODA is tough work, but he does it well:D

Grant
PS. perhaps he just wanted to see how many postings it took before it became sleazy:wink:

Dreadful Scathe
27th-June-2003, 03:25 PM

PS. perhaps he just wanted to see how many postings it took before it became sleazy:wink:

quite probably - and im sure hes dissapointed :)

Grading is a great idea. Personally I'd like to be able to tell people Im a black belt at Ceroc. I could defend friends and family with a pretzel or foil bank robbers with a hatchback wurlitzer. No less than they deserve I might add :)

Gadget
27th-June-2003, 03:27 PM
I could not disagree more. If we all had a common core of moves then we would all dance the same.
But we do have a common core of moves, otherwise we would not be able to dance with everyone - only the people who knew our (individual) moves.
DO we all dance the same?

Chicklet
27th-June-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Personally I'd like to be able to tell people Im a black belt at Ceroc

This is exactly why we need the sew on badges, cos people need a way of telling if you are talking out of your little blue backside or if you really have achieved these dizzy heights before agreeing to dance with you or deciding to rob a bank in the local environ

Dance Demon
27th-June-2003, 04:25 PM
quite probably - and im sure hes dissapointed :)

Personally I'd like to be able to tell people Im a black belt at Ceroc.

I've got a black belt at Karaoke:D

Gus
27th-June-2003, 08:39 PM
Gus is obviously trying to play ODA here because I can't seriously think he thinks this would be a good idea........ Please Gus admit it now you are just trying to have a joke with us by suggesting this ridiculous idea.

PEOPLE ..... of COURSE I was joking ... I seriously hope that even Ceroc would not want to introduce gradings .... it goes against everything that makes Ceroc what is is!

Who wants some pratt lauding it over you because he's graded advanced level 2 and you are merely intermediate level 3!:reallymad Oh ... come to think of it some people already do that.:tears:

No ... if nothing else I wanted to debunk the theory that you can grade dancers ..... there are too many dimesions to grade dancers ... do you assess their timing, footwork, style etc etc

No ... lets please let the arguments about who is a good or great dancer continue ... its only subjective ...... or is it?

Will
29th-June-2003, 10:59 PM
Another interesting thread!

I might have this wrong, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ceroc in Australia has some sort of grading system, though I thought it was based on dance experience / taxi-demo-teacher status rather than passing exams.

Are there any Aussie readers that can confirm this?

Gus
29th-June-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Will
Another interesting thread!

I might have this wrong, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ceroc in Australia has some sort of grading system, though I thought it was based on dance experience / taxi-demo-teacher status rather than passing exams.

Superb ... does this mean we can start the debate about whther you have to bea good dancer to be a good teacher/taxi dancer again??:devil:

BEFORE we do, speaking from experience ... I would say that the corrrelation is unproven. At the time when my technical teaching ability was at its best (about 6 months after finishing my Ceroc Teaching training) my dancing was at its worst!:sad: Being able to teach accurately actually runs contrary to being able to break the rule sand really dance ..... or would someone like to put forward a counter view:grin:

Gary
30th-June-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Will

Are there any Aussie readers that can confirm this?

I'm just a dancer, not a teacher, so take this with a grain of salt, and apologies if I've misrepresented what's going on:

Ceroc Australia has an "Intermediate" card that you can get by dancing with a taxi dancer, who checks to make sure you're ready to do intermediate classes. You don't need the card to do the intermediate class, but they encourage it.

Ceroc Dance has an "Intermediate/Advanced" (I/A) card. You get the card by dancing with an I/A teacher who gives you feedback and/or the card. On the regular I/A class nights, they split the class into two rotations, and you need the I/A card to join the I/A rotation (although it's not policed very vigorously). They also require the I/A card to sign up for some I/A routines. Similarly there's an Advanced card that's required to attempt Advanced routines. Also, if you've got the I/A card you must compete in Intermediate A in the champs, and if you've got the Advanced card you must compete in Advanced in the champs (even if you feel far from Advanced :( ).

The benefit is that (particularly for the followers) it's good sometimes to know that your partner knows what they're doing. The drawback is that people can feel discouraged or looked-down-upon if they don't have the card. It's also a bit hard sometimes to grab an I/A teacher to get "graded".

Emma
30th-June-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Gus
or would someone like to put forward a counter view:grin:

No :wink: :p

Gadget
30th-June-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Being able to teach accurately actually runs contrary to being able to break the rules and really dance ..... or would someone like to put forward a counter view:grin:
A paralell view perhaps :rolleyes:;
While I concur that being a good teacher does not automatically mean you are a good dancer, I think that you need to be at least a competent dancer before you can be a teacher.
And I also agree that "teaching mode" can degrade your normal dancing, but not enough for us mear mortals who dance with you to notice :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-June-2003, 02:29 PM

And I also agree that "teaching mode" can degrade your normal dancing, but not enough for us mear mortals who dance with you to notice :wink:

I think that depends on the person, teaching shouldn't degrade your dancing - Im sure it improves some people especially with experience or people with natural talent i suppose.

cerocmetro
30th-June-2003, 08:44 PM
As a teacher believe to be a teacher you need to be good at teaching. Sound daft?. Being a good dancer is required.

To be a great teacher I believe you still only need to be a good dancer.

Adam

Gus
1st-July-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by cerocmetro

To be a great teacher I believe you still only need to be a good dancer.

Adam

TOTALY agree .... unfortuntaley, all the Great Teachers I can think of .... Nigel & Nina, Vik and Lydia, Amir, and this young cove Nathanson & Wife also happen to be superb dancers ...... so can someone prove the hypothesis????

Actualy ... I can think of some great dancers who are cr*p teachers ... so maybe the hypothesis does hold true :wink:

Gadget
1st-July-2003, 08:16 AM
Another hypothisis:
The really great dancers enjoy it so much that they want to pass on their knowledge & enthusiasm and therefore become teachers.
Since they have the experiance {style/moves/...} they have more to draw upon to teach, this makes them better teachers.

Of course just because they have a head start, does not automatically make them the best teachers - an excelent teacher who is an OK dancer will make more of an impression than an excelent dancer who is an OK teacher. {IMHO}

Emma
1st-July-2003, 09:32 AM
an excellent teacher who is an OK dancer will make more of an impression than an excellent dancer who is an OK teacher. {IMHO}

I'm with ya on that one, Gadge :)

Lindsay
1st-July-2003, 10:45 AM
...an excelent teacher who is an OK dancer will make more of an impression than an excelent dancer who is an OK teacher. {IMHO}

Totally agree. And excellent teachers who are excellent dancers... are simply awesome! Like Hasse :yum: and Marie from Sweden (boogie woogie). . .

Brady
1st-July-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
Like Hasse :yum: and Marie from Sweden (boogie woogie). . .

Must agree with Lindsay 110% on this one! Hasse & Marie are probably the most energetic/fun/outgoing......teaching couple I've come across. The way they feed off of each other during the class is absolutely fantastic!!! :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
1st-July-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Brady
. The way they feed off of each other during the class is absolutely fantastic!!!

Im restraining myself and staying on topic instead :).

I'd say that a good teacher is a large part attitude, a larger part communication and a lesser part knowledge of the subject. The good pupils always eventually beat the master in all the martial arts films dont they ? So you can teach people to be better than you are by being clever enough to know what you are, and are not capable of and having the ability to see it in them too. Arrogance is NOT a good trait for a teacher :).

Graham
1st-July-2003, 01:34 PM
I think that people would be even more 'clique-ish' {sp?} if there was a way to discriminate between "Good" dancers and "Beginner" dancers. But there already is a way - it's called watching them. As (beyond a point of basic competence) who's good/bad is highly subjective, the gradings would surely also need to be subjective?

Perhaps we could all have little pins that we give out to partners we were really impressed with. They could be in the style of our forum avatars. So when you see a guy with a Lucy and a Tigger, etc, you girls will be queuing up!

What does everyone think?

[If this catches on, please PM me Bill, as I could have a financial opportunity you may be interested in :wink: ]

Dreadful Scathe
1st-July-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Graham
So when you see a guy with a Lucy and a Tigger, etc, you girls will be queuing up!

What does everyone think?

:rofl: nice idea but Bill wouldnt have an inch of space left on his body that wasnt covered with a sticker, and the rest of us would leave in embarassment :)

Sal
1st-July-2003, 01:45 PM
Yup, I don't think Bill would be able to dance under the weight of all those pins!

At the same time we would run the risk of offending people. What about the people you are friends with, but don't enjoy their dancing style?

It would end up that the men would only ask women that had "pinned" them. Would the fact that they were not rated with a pin in the past constitute a good enough reason to refuse the offer of a dance?

Can you tell that I am bored and have too much time on my hands?!?

Dreadful Scathe
1st-July-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Sal
Can you tell that I am bored and have too much time on my hands?!?

I have just the same problem.

:D

So, stickers arent a good idea - everyone moans about the people they'd rather not dance with but all politely still do so when asked, refusing to sticker them would not be a very subtle way of letting them know how you feel, and do we really want to do that ? I'd give up dancing :).

CJ
1st-July-2003, 01:53 PM
I have just the same problem.

So, stickers arent a good idea - and do we really want to do that ? I'd give up dancing :).

Well, it's not ALL bad!!:D :D :D

Gadget
1st-July-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Graham
But there already is a way - it's called watching them.
Just as a small diversion; are the dancers that look impressive the best ones to actually dance with?
I don't think so; while you may see stylish dancers on the floor, you may not 'click' as well with them as their {current dance} partner does - you may have a better dance with someone who is calm, precise and a good lead rather than someone who throws you into wild {but impressive} spins, dips and poses.

Perhaps we could all have little pins that we give out to partners we were really impressed with.
So you would be judging people as you dance with them?? &ltshudder&gt I can ony think on negatives for this scenario.

Pins for bad dancers, stickers for good ones? Would kind of speed up the learning process {"bad dancer!"&ltjab&gt..."good dancer"&ltstroke&gt}

Graham
1st-July-2003, 01:54 PM
everyone moans about the people they'd rather not dance with ......I'd give up dancing :). Don't be so negative, Nik. Not everyone moans about you. :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
1st-July-2003, 01:58 PM
Pins for bad dancers, stickers for good ones?

Good idea - stab the bad ones with a pin - caress the good ones with a sticker. :)

Sal
1st-July-2003, 02:00 PM

Pins for bad dancers, stickers for good ones? Would kind of speed up the learning process {"bad dancer!"&ltjab&gt..."

Be handy for the perpetrators of aerial steps on a crowded dance floor!

PeterL
1st-July-2003, 04:47 PM
In my capacity as worrier I would like to point out there is no such thing as a "bad" dancer.

We ceroc for enjoyment and half our pleasure comes from the pleasure of others, being good in the way it has been discussed on this thread is subjective.

Having enjoyed yourself is not, if you don't like dancing with someone, and they are doing there best, then you haven't really grasped the spirit of ceroc, or maybe it is just the way I view it.

It is as much fun dancing with a "bad" dancer as a "good" one each dance is a different experience and judging people against eachother is fine for people who choose to enter competitions but most dancers go to ceroc believing that they are there to have fun and not be judged as good or bad.

Maybe the above is the ramblimgs of a "bad" dancer but I am passionate about dancing and the acceptance of all "good" or "bad" is part of what makes it so attractive to me.

so giving people pins stickers or anything else is an abhorent suggestion and if you need that sort of validation then just ask people if they think you are "good".

:sad:

Sal
1st-July-2003, 04:56 PM
That was what I was trying to say, but am just not eloquent enough! I am going to find Heather for some english lessons!

Aleks
1st-July-2003, 04:57 PM
if you need that sort of validation then just ask people if they think you are "good".

:sad:

I have been told (frequently) that I'm an "unusual" dancer....whatever that means!

Dreadful Scathe
1st-July-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I have been told (frequently) that I'm an "unusual" dancer....whatever that means!

Id take it as a compliment, i think you're someone that always loooks like theyre having fun.

In my capacity as worrier I would like to point out there is no such thing as a "bad" dancer.[/B]

Indeed. I'd fully expect to get pinned at least as much as I'm stickered. I'd keep score hoping for that magical and elusive 'all sticker' night :).

PeterL
1st-July-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I've been called unorthodox a few times.

TheTramp
1st-July-2003, 05:10 PM
In my capacity as worrier I would like to point out there is no such thing as a "bad" dancer.

We ceroc for enjoyment and half our pleasure comes from the pleasure of others, being good in the way it has been discussed on this thread is subjective.

Having enjoyed yourself is not, if you don't like dancing with someone, and they are doing there best, then you haven't really grasped the spirit of ceroc, or maybe it is just the way I view it.

It is as much fun dancing with a "bad" dancer as a "good" one each dance is a different experience and judging people against eachother is fine for people who choose to enter competitions but most dancers go to ceroc believing that they are there to have fun and not be judged as good or bad.

Maybe the above is the ramblimgs of a "bad" dancer but I am passionate about dancing and the acceptance of all "good" or "bad" is part of what makes it so attractive to me.

so giving people pins stickers or anything else is an abhorent suggestion and if you need that sort of validation then just ask people if they think you are "good".

:sad: Sorry. Have to disagree with you Peter. There are plenty of 'bad' dancers. People who have gone past the beginner stage, but are still exhibiting all of the traits that are generally regarded as not being the general way to dance (thumbs on the back of hands (and death grips), stiff arms, spaghetti arms, bouncing, airsteps, etc etc.) - and who have no desire to improve.

I'd agree that anyone who is looking to improve, shouldn't be labelled as a 'bad' dancer. Maybe you could call them 'beginners'. Even after they've been dancing 4 years :rolleyes:

Steve

CJ
1st-July-2003, 05:29 PM
Id take it as a compliment,

I wouldn't..... have you seen her dancing?!?:wink:

Aleks
1st-July-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
I wouldn't..... have you seen her dancing?!?:wink:

I'll get you later for that - I'll try at least!

DavidB
1st-July-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
There are plenty of 'bad' dancers. People who have gone past the beginner stage, but are still exhibiting all of the traits that are generally regarded as not being the general way to dance (thumbs on the back of hands (and death grips), stiff arms, spaghetti arms, bouncing, airsteps, etc etc.) I'm going to disagree with both Peter & TheTramp.

There is no one right way of doing Modern Jive. But some ways are better than others, and some ways are wrong.

There is only one rule in Modern Jive - don't hurt your partner (or anyone else). So there is only one thing that could be considered 'wrong' or 'bad' - being a danger to either yourself, your partner, or others dancing near you.

Then there are other dancers who are just not very good. I would put in this category the noodle arms, the men who can't lead, the ladies who always backlead etc. (But not beginners - give them a chance first!) They are rarely a danger to anyone - they just take away some of the enjoyment from their partner.

This affects the way I dance.
- If I'm dancing with a lady who backleads for example, then I can adjust my dancing slightly. I can try a few variations that may make her stop. Or I just let her lead everything.
- If I'm dancing with someone who is hurting me, then I start 'defensive' dancing. This is a whole different way of leading - flat hands, isolating my hand from my body, etc. The idea is to minimise the damage she can inflict on me.
- And if the couple next to me are being dangerous, I might start 'offensive' dancing.

David

TheTramp
1st-July-2003, 06:49 PM
Ah.

But David. You missed my main point.

Which wasn't just about the things that people do wrongly. But those people who do things wrongly, and have no desire to stop doing those things, and don't want to improve.

That would be my definition of a bad dancer. People who just do wrong things, because they are new, or because they don't know any better, aren't bad. Just in-experienced.

Steve

Emma
2nd-July-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
I might start 'offensive' dancing.

This conjures such an interesting mental image, David :grin:...do you mean you start *being* offensive (which honestly I can't imagine you doing...erm..rude gestures or something??) or do you go on the offensive? :nice:

TheTramp
2nd-July-2003, 10:43 AM
I know what he means :D

It's when the couple next to you (or usually the guy part of the couple anyhow), starts dancing with no regard for anyone else. Sometimes this means airsteps, but usually just in the way they throw their partner round, and the moves they do, without taking account of the space available.

Usually then, I put myself between my partner and them. And start taking up their space. They want to bounce off me..... fine. I know who'll (usually) win that battle :D Same goes for David too. :D

Steve

Emma
2nd-July-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I know what he means :D
mmmyeah, I knew what he meant too....but the thought of DavidB making rude gestures was entertaining me no end...

..some of us are just easily amused, I guess :waycool: :wink: :grin:

Gary
3rd-July-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by gcapell

Ceroc Dance has an "Intermediate/Advanced" (I/A) card. You get the card by dancing with an I/A teacher who gives you feedback and/or the card. On the regular I/A class nights, they split the class into two rotations, and you need the I/A card to join the I/A rotation (although it's not policed very vigorously). They also require the I/A card to sign up for some I/A routines. Similarly there's an Advanced card that's required to attempt Advanced routines.

Looks like my news was almost immediately outdated.

from latest Ceroc Dance newsletter
We promised them to you and as of Thursday 17th July at Club Willoughby
they're here - the GOLD Level Advanced Classes. Once every 4-6 weeks at a
nominated venue the regular Intermediate/Advanced Class will be replaced
by a NEW Advanced Class open to GOLD Advanced Cardholders and Blue I/A
Cardholders ONLY (ask your teacher how you qualify for either card). While
the Gold Advanced Class rotations (or you can choose to stay with your own
partner) cater for both Gold and Blue cardholders, don't worry if you're
either a Beginner or an Intermediate, there's still a class for you to
enjoy at the same time with your own individual teacher.

The GOLD Level Advanced Classes will take your freestyle dancing to
another level, focussing on dance topics including "playing with rhythm &
syncopations", "fancy footwork", "improvisations", "latin rhythm & cuban
motion", "using music highs & lows", "body lines and extensions",
"freestyling lifts & mini-aerials" and other styling and finishing touch
techniques that separate the GREAT dancers from the good dancers..... If
you'd like to be one of the greats, don't miss these classes.

I'm looking forward to the first gold class, and interested to see how not-so-gold folks react.

DavidY
5th-July-2003, 05:51 PM
Just as a small diversion; are the dancers that look impressive the best ones to actually dance with?
I don't think so; while you may see stylish dancers on the floor, you may not 'click' as well with them as their {current dance} partner does - you may have a better dance with someone who is calm, precise and a good lead rather than someone who throws you into wild {but impressive} spins, dips and poses. I've also wondered the same thing - think I agree with Gadget.
As a diversion to Gadget's diversion - are moves which look good the ones that feel good? Are there some which don't look good to bystanders but are nicer to be led into?

Andy McGregor
5th-July-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
are moves which look good the ones that feel good? Are there some which don't look good to bystanders but are nicer to be led into?

Those sexy moves look good, and usually sexy, unless it's me doing them. But do they feel sexy? Quite a few 'sexy' moves involve lowering your partner over your knees/thighs. When I do that my only thoughts are 'Will I be able to get up from this without my knees creaking or giving way' :what:

Then again, there are loads of moves that look good and feel good. But, unless it's a competition, I always go for feeling good. Who cares who's watching, they should be dancing. That saying 'Dance like there's nobody looking' is my mantra - unless, of course, there's somebody looking:devil: