PDA

View Full Version : First Move Question

JiveLad
21st-January-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi

This is a question about First Move.

At Friday at Chesham, I noticed my partner doing a nice 'glide' in a half circle with her right leg during the First Move as we stepped back.. I then decided to mirror this with my left leg.

I developed this again last night at Stevenage (see m.e.b.) and now I really like doing it and maybe do 3 or 4 in a row - if it is the right music.

Basically my left leg will move out in half circle - perhaps over 2 or more beats (again, music dependent). A further refinement I started was that the foot only needs to be an inch off the floor......(?)

My question is: what is this style element called - and do you have any comments about it?

Thanks.

ducasi
21st-January-2007, 01:59 PM
It's a rondé. Together with a first move, it's known as a first move rondé. :)

It's important that when either you or your partner does a rondé, that it doesn't upset the connection with your partner.

Timing is also a factor – if you're taking two or more beats to do something, you must ensure you lead that fact.

If you're a follower and decide to do a rondé over more beats than the lead has given then this becomes a hijack, and you must make sure the lead knows this. Otherwise, you must keep your rondé within the timing constraints given by the lead.

Oh, one other comment – make sure you're not tripping anyone up with the sweep of your foot.

Lynn
21st-January-2007, 02:13 PM
My question is: what is this style element called - and do you have any comments about it?Sounds like ronde. I do it (if there is space) and I've also had leads pick up on it and mirror.

Drat - Ducasi beat me to it. Didn't know it was a 'move' as such, I just thought it looked nice and was a way sometimes of slowing down part of a move to fit the music.

If you want a really big sweep, you can bend your knee slightly on your standing leg - though be aware this will also drop your height and can therefore affect your connection with your partner.

BeccaB
21st-January-2007, 02:17 PM
That semi-circle is a Rhonde (not sure on the spelling it's french) It's from ballet mostly but is quite nice when added onto a first move, space allowing of course and music.

JiveLad
21st-January-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks all for you rapid and complete responses..........great!:clap:

Unfortunately the +rep does not seem to be working right now.

Good tips - especially the one about needing enough space.......probably not one to do on a crowded dancefloor at Berko tonite.

MartinHarper
21st-January-2007, 06:47 PM
Good tips - especially the one about needing enough space.......probably not one to do on a crowded dancefloor at Berko tonite.

You're describing a sweep on the third count ("twist out"). Another option is to add a sweep with your right foot on the second count ("in together"). This doesn't use up any more space, as you're sweeping the area your partner is about to move into.

Yogi_Bear
21st-January-2007, 07:25 PM
You're describing a sweep on the third count ("twist out"). Another option is to add a sweep with your right foot on the second count ("in together"). This doesn't use up any more space, as you're sweeping the area your partner is about to move into.

Another option is to dance a ronde yourself as you lead your partner past your right side, rotating yourself a half turn CW to follow her round and face. I think ronde variations have been popularised by Australian Ceroc teachers.

David Bailey
22nd-January-2007, 09:27 AM
Another option is to dance a ronde yourself as you lead your partner past your right side, rotating yourself a half turn CW to follow her round and face.
Another option is to to a lapiz (posh name for a ronde) in front of the lady, then trap her foot as she steps back, then move into a barrida :)

(Well, it looked good when Amir did it... :blush: )

Yogi_Bear
22nd-January-2007, 09:34 AM
Another option is to to a lapiz (posh name for a ronde) in front of the lady, then trap her foot as she steps back, then move into a barrida :)

(Well, it looked good when Amir did it... :blush: )

steady on, I don't think MJ has yet hijacked the barrida....

Andy McGregor
22nd-January-2007, 09:34 AM
(Well, it looked good when Amir did it... :blush: )That was probably because Amir looks good in a vest :waycool:

David Bailey
22nd-January-2007, 01:50 PM
steady on, I don't think MJ has yet hijacked the barrida....
Who knows - apparently they've appropriated ochos as part of the 141 new moves, so anything's possible...

Besides, I thought we'd agreed the "Scottish move" is a barrida-ish move?

Yogi_Bear
22nd-January-2007, 02:08 PM
Who knows - apparently they've appropriated ochos as part of the 141 new moves, so anything's possible...

Besides, I thought we'd agreed the "Scottish move" is a barrida-ish move?

Hmm, what's a 'Scottish move'?:innocent:
The ocho has been well and truly assimiliated for some time, in a highly simplified way,

David Bailey
22nd-January-2007, 03:06 PM
Hmm, what's a 'Scottish move'?:innocent:
See here... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11057)

The ocho has been well and truly assimiliated for some time, in a highly simplified way,
Sure - I remember being taught a nifty walk-over ocho move about 8 years ago, and a first-move-into-back-ocho 18 months ago (which pushed me into learning AT funnilty enough).

But now they're calling it an ocho, which may be new - of course, they're not prober ochos like mamma used to make. :whistle: