PDA

View Full Version : Catapult escapes

whitetiger1518
19th-January-2007, 03:11 PM
I have searched for an answer and haven't found one - so here goes:

I just wondered if there was a safe method to escape from/ hijack/ sabotage a catapult move???

The last couple of times I have beeen dancing, several of the leaders have each put me into several catapults.. I quite like the catapult in ones or twos. It was just the cumulative effect that had me reeeling.. :sick:

Is there any move I can go into that would be an approved alternative?

(Obviously talking to each leader only works for that particular dance - as each leader doesn't know what the next leader will dance me into!)

I just want a general trick so that I don't get too many of that move altogether with no recovery time in between.

Thanks

Whitetiger

Gav
19th-January-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure if it's an "approved" method, but I have led a catapult before to find that the lady has let go completely when she's behind me, placed her hands on my hips and wiggled up and down for a bit before turning me to face her and handing the lead back. Maybe not suitable for everyone you dance with, but I liked it. :blush:

Ghost
19th-January-2007, 03:50 PM
As you step forward into the lead's left side keep hold of the lead's right hand and put your right hand (with his) on the lead's right hip. You're now in a similar position to leading a sway.

Have fun :D

killingtime
19th-January-2007, 03:56 PM
As you step forward into the lead's left side keep hold of the lead's right hand and put your right hand (with his) on the lead's right hip. You're now in a similar position to leading a sway.

Ooh... I like. Must remember that when I'm following with intent to steal.

whitetiger1518
19th-January-2007, 04:12 PM
Mmm, That's cool! This gives me two options so far- I'm sure that is enough for me to memorise for the moment - though more proficient followers (than me I mean - not exactly hard to achieve considering the practice I've had lately :( ) might appreciate more variations if there are any more?

Cheers

Whitetiger

TheTramp
19th-January-2007, 04:23 PM
Look him in the eyes after the 5th one, and say, "oh no, not another blooming catapult".

That should work too...

Gav
19th-January-2007, 04:29 PM
Or, you know that slight change of hand hold that tells you a catapults coming? When it happens, steal the lead immediately and lead him into a catapult! :devil:
Then keep doing it until he gets the message. :D

whitetiger1518
19th-January-2007, 04:36 PM
Or, you know that slight change of hand hold that tells you a catapults coming? When it happens, steal the lead immediately and lead him into a catapult! :devil:
Then keep doing it until he gets the message. :D

I'll consider it if anyone trys it ;) but as you well know if you read my plea at the beginning properly that I just meant that each lead was only getting me to do the catapult 2 or 3 times - it was the cumulative effect that made my head spin :sick: :grin:

Cheers

Whitetiger

Gav
19th-January-2007, 04:41 PM
I'll consider it if anyone trys it ;) but as you well know if you read my plea at the beginning properly that I just meant that each lead was only getting me to do the catapult 2 or 3 times - it was the cumulative effect that made my head spin :sick: :grin:

Yeah I got that, but do it anyway, you know you want to! :devil:

BTW, if you ever dance with DavidJames, do it lots to him, he loves being hijacked. :D

MartinHarper
19th-January-2007, 04:46 PM
If it's the spinning, you can slow your spin right down. Or you can spin as normal and not offer your hand for a bit. Or you can spin 1.0 times, ending up with your back to the guy, and then offer your hands to him to catapult him.

This is all sabotagey. A more subtle approach is to end up after the prior return facing the guy, but slightly off-set, so that (from his perspective) you're slightly to his left. This position will act to subconsciously discourage him from leading a catapult, as a catapult is awkward from that position. Alternatively, you can choose to end up with your left foot back rather than right foot back, for a similar effect.

Or you can just practice spinning more.

David Bailey
19th-January-2007, 05:01 PM
BTW, if you ever dance with DavidJames, do it lots to him, he loves being hijacked. :D
It's almost as much fun as being sabotaged.

But I don't think I've done a catapult since the mid-1990s, roughly, so it's not an issue :)

Gadget
19th-January-2007, 06:45 PM
There are two obvious points where the follower has an "escape" (ie the lead is a complete invitation and without the follower taking up that invitation the move cannot proceed as origionally intended by the lead.)

First is when the lead offers the spare hand behind them - you don't have to take it. Do something else - step in behind the follower, place your hand on their shoulder, just stalk forward, release the right hand and take the offered left with your right, ...

Second is from the free-spin exit - do a double, do one half speed, stop with your back to the lead and offer them your hands like a cattapult, ...

etceteras.

{Leading variations to a cattapult and I can give hundreds...:rolleyes:}

Genie
20th-January-2007, 01:48 AM
First is when the lead offers the spare hand behind them - you don't have to take it. Do something else - step in behind the follower, place your hand on their shoulder, just stalk forward, release the right hand and take the offered left with your right...
{Leading variations to a cattapult and I can give hundreds...:rolleyes:}

Mwahahahaha! You've done it now. You do realise you are giving me ideas for Tuesday...

whitetiger1518
22nd-January-2007, 12:25 PM
Lovely - lots of ideas to practice (if I can remember them!! :eek: ) which will result in one of two things - either I will get ALL catapults next time I dance OR there will be NONE! ;) Ah well I will try and remember some of these escapes for whenever a catapult apears.

Thanks

Whitetiger