PDA

View Full Version : Booming Belfast

Dallen
18th-January-2007, 12:16 AM
Just home from the Belfast Class, which tonight was very full, quite a few beginners. Great to see it doing so well, must be very encouraging for Danielle.:clap:
Had a few dances tonight, although with so many on the dance floor doing some of the more elborate intermediate moves wasn't very easy:whistle:
Very tempted to bring my camera with me next week and post a few photos of the Belfast Class. And if any of you folks from across the water ever find yourselves in Belfast on a Wednesday night make sure you drop by at the Belfast Boat Club in Stranmillis for a dance and a bit of 'craic' to use a Belfast expression:grin:

drathzel
18th-January-2007, 12:53 AM
Yes Dallens right we only had a few people short of our best night ever!!!!! I need the venue to have expandable walls. a lot of our regulars were missing tonight but we had a lots of new beginners.

Its lovely to have a full class and its great as dancers have more choice who to dance with and it makes for a fab night. Congrats to all the Ceroc NI bunch (taxi's and dancers) for promoting it so well. I couldnt do it with out you and value you all soo much:clap: :worthy:

Lynn
18th-January-2007, 02:18 PM
Just home from the Belfast Class, which tonight was very full, quite a few beginners. Great to see it doing so well, must be very encouraging for Danielle.:clap:Yep. I arrived during the first freestyle and instantly sensed a 'buzz' about the atmosphere last night. New people mixing in, lots of people up on the floor.

TheTramp
18th-January-2007, 02:48 PM
Looking forward to coming again in April. It's going to be a blast! :clap:

Chef
18th-January-2007, 03:45 PM
Had a few dances tonight, although with so many on the dance floor doing some of the more elborate intermediate moves wasn't very easy:whistle:

For the first few times of it being like this you can look on it as an opportunity to learn "defensive" dancing where you use your body to protect your follower from people who are taking the first steps in their dance journey and are not yet able to keep their own dancing tidy. Of course if you are still having to do this in a few years time it might start to grow tiring.

Still, at least you have new blood coming in and your dance scene is growing in vigour. I remember the years of Lynns frustration of having no MJ scene in NI at all. Glad to hear things are on the up.

drathzel
18th-January-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah and thinking of doing a small floor craft workshop at some point if things continue this busy, or find a bigger hall.

Chef
18th-January-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah and thinking of doing a small floor craft workshop at some point if things continue this busy, or find a bigger hall.

Go for the bigger hall. Dancers have so much to think about when they start. Your big influx of beginners have enough on their plate at the moment. Floorcraft tends to be something that people learn once they have the moves and timing on autopilot and so have spare mental capacity to add another layer to their skills. It would be interesting to hear what reaction you get from putting around the idea of floorcraft to your punters though. It is one of those things that you don't get a big payoff unless everyone does it. You only need a small number of wild ones on a floor to make a major problem for the people around them.

However you look at it it is nice to hear that your events are growing in popularity such that you now have this problem to deal with. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more of the NI contingent at Southport. My partner and I always tried to make a point of dancing with every single one of the dancers from NI at least once on our trips to Southport. This is going to be even harder as the numbers grow.

See you soon.

Lynn
18th-January-2007, 06:06 PM
It would be interesting to hear what reaction you get from putting around the idea of floorcraft to your punters though. It is one of those things that you don't get a big payoff unless everyone does it. You only need a small number of wild ones on a floor to make a major problem for the people around them.They do tend to listen to what Drathzel tells them, so they'd probably be quite receptive. As shown by Dallen's post, its something that he and others are becoming aware of anyway as its getting busier. So I think it would be a good time to introduce it to the intermediates and try to develop a culture of good floorcraft.

drathzel
18th-January-2007, 06:16 PM
Dont know how many at southport but there are 34 in total going, including lynn me and dallen, to Blaze!

Franck fancy doing a floorcraft class at Blaze????

Bigger hall is a possiblity too although The Boat Club is a beautiful dance function room. I dismantled the stage to give us more room too!

Lynn
18th-January-2007, 09:05 PM
Bigger hall is a possiblity too although The Boat Club is a beautiful dance function room. I dismantled the stage to give us more room too!It is a nice venue, and to move from a venue that's well filled into a larger hall with less atmosphere, might not work. If you get a low night it might look too quiet, wheras the Boat Club looks good even with less people. With the numbers last night it looks lively, busy and fun.

I do think you might have to expand the walls at Ardnavalley for the next freestyle night though. Fortunately that's easy enough to do!

drathzel
18th-January-2007, 10:08 PM
It is a nice venue, and to move from a venue that's well filled into a larger hall with less atmosphere, might not work. If you get a low night it might look too quiet, wheras the Boat Club looks good even with less people. With the numbers last night it looks lively, busy and fun.

I do think you might have to expand the walls at Ardnavalley for the next freestyle night though. Fortunately that's easy enough to do!

Yeah i thought that well through!

Problem is we wont get more than 60 in there and it would be nice to have room when we get more. Aiming for that next week....bring a friend :D

Lynn
18th-January-2007, 11:19 PM
Yeah i thought that well through!

Problem is we wont get more than 60 in there and it would be nice to have room when we get more. Aiming for that next week....bring a friend :DYou think I have any friends I haven't invited along?:rolleyes:

Sadly the expandable wall at the Boat Club only gives more seating, not dancing, space.

drathzel
18th-January-2007, 11:39 PM
You think I have any friends I haven't invited along?:rolleyes:

Thats true!!!:wink:

rubyred
18th-January-2007, 11:48 PM
Looking forward to seeing you all at Southport. I would like to come along next time I visit my family, I''m from Monaghan and it would be lovely to call in and have a dance. Could someone please send me some details about dance nights and any forthcoming events. I am planning to go home in March.

Does anyone know if Ceroc has taken off in the South. I have sent my details ages ago to the web site Lynn gave me but not heard anything.

LOL

Rubyred:flower:

Lynn
18th-January-2007, 11:54 PM
Looking forward to seeing you all at Southport. I would like to come along next time I visit my family, I''m from Monaghan and it would be lovely to call in and have a dance. Could someone please send me some details about dance nights and any forthcoming events. I am planning to go home in March. The main night is Wed 7:30-10:30 in Belfast Boat Club, near Stranmillis College. There is a party night on Sat 10th March, also in Belfast, at Ardnavalley Scout Hall, near the Malone Road. It would be great to see you there! Or you can check out Ceroc NI (http://www.cerocni.com).

drathzel
19th-January-2007, 12:42 AM
The website will be up dated with all the workshop goings on hopefully in the next few days. But i have sent you some information on the big weekends we are doing.

drathzel
1st-February-2007, 12:57 AM
can i just say that Belfast had its best ever night tonight of 53 people and we are growing every week. well done to my team who have really brought the dancers in and kept them!:hug:

Tiggerbabe
1st-February-2007, 01:18 AM
Congratulations D, I'll be turning up there one of these fine days :D

drathzel
1st-February-2007, 01:22 AM

wayhay!!!!

if we can get a bigger venue soon then hopefully we can get a good crowd in and you can come and dj for us!

actually dont! They'll feel so dissapointed going back to my music:D

TheTramp
1st-February-2007, 01:27 AM

1st Saturday in April would be a good time :wink:

drathzel
1st-February-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Saturday in April would be a good time :wink:

Sat 7th April:love:

rubyred
1st-February-2007, 01:32 AM
Hi I hope to come to the dance on the 10th March I plan to come up from Monaghan on the saturday. My family have checked out bus times for me so fingers crossed. Hope I can make it now cos I am really looking forward to Modern Jiving in Ireland. :clap:

Lynn
1st-February-2007, 01:37 AM
Hi I hope to come to the dance on the 10th March I plan to come up from Monaghan on the saturday. My family have checked out bus times for me so fingers crossed. Hope I can make it now cos I am really looking forward to Modern Jiving in Ireland. :clap:Great! :D

drathzel
1st-February-2007, 01:49 AM
Its great to have everyones support over here! It will be good to see lots of people over in the next few years!

Lynn
1st-February-2007, 01:55 AM
It was really busy tonight - lots of new people seem to be coming along, really enjoying themselves and bringing friends. I couldn't get round all the beginners tonight for dances as there were so many. I like that venue, easy for parking, nice floor, bar and drinks machine available - but we're going to outgrow it soon!

Lynn
11th-February-2007, 09:44 PM
Fab workshops and party!:clap:

And despite having not one, but two red outfits over the course of the evening, I was completely outshone by our red pirate!

Great evening, good mix of music for the venue - everyone seemed to be up enjoying themselves. Even if I did miss El Tango de Roxanne because I was off trying on a beaded handkerchief, I mean top. :rofl:

drathzel
12th-February-2007, 12:09 AM
I was off trying on a beaded handkerchief, I mean top. :rofl:

snap :wink:

It was a fab day and our pirate was fab. I think our resident photographer was on hand though and pictures were taken so hopefully everyone can see for themselves!

Thanks to Lynn Mikeyr and Micks for the last dance:D :rofl:

Lynn
12th-February-2007, 12:11 AM
snap :wink:

It was a fab day and our pirate was fab. I think our resident photographer was on hand though and pictures were taken so hopefully everyone can see for themselves!

Thanks to Lynn Mikeyr and Micks for the last dance:D :rofl::rofl: That was a lot of fun!

Will
21st-February-2007, 05:42 PM
Looking forward to coming again in April. It's going to be a blast! :clap:

To have a thread called "Booming Belfast" is perhaps a tad unfortunate. However, to then say it is going to be "a blast" is definately not going to sell it to me.

:what:

mick s
21st-February-2007, 05:58 PM
The thought of Sheena DJ ing may even get me back again, especially if you do one of those saus/bacon things again and have some new tunes.

drathzel
21st-February-2007, 06:21 PM
The thought of Sheena DJ ing may even get me back again, especially if you do one of those saus/bacon things again and have some new tunes.

it was a saus and bacon soda!

Lynn
12th-March-2007, 08:34 PM
Another good night at the last freestyle. A few less people along, but everyone having so much fun.:clap:

Hi I hope to come to the dance on the 10th March I plan to come up from Monaghan on the saturday. My family have checked out bus times for me so fingers crossed. Hope I can make it now cos I am really looking forward to Modern Jiving in Ireland. :clap:

Special thanks to Rubyred and Blueshoes for coming along, showing us some of their style and dancing with all the locals. :hug: I know a few folk commented on being inspired to try to take their dancing up a level as a result.:D

drathzel
12th-March-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks to RR and BS for there freestyle it was fab! I think it was good for the class to see them!

I am glad they were inspired and we have workshops next month for everyone to raise their dancing!:clap:

rubyred
13th-March-2007, 12:49 AM
Special thanks to Rubyred and Blueshoes for coming along, showing us some of their style and dancing with all the locals. :hug: I know a few folk commented on being inspired to try to take their dancing up a level as a result.:D

Thanks to RR and BS for there freestyle it was fab! I think it was good for the class to see them!

I am glad they were inspired and we have workshops next month for everyone to raise their dancing!:clap:

Thank you so much for the fabulous welcome , comments and hospitality. It was great to dance in Ireland and people from other venues should give NI a try, especially when there is a day of workshops with a freestyle later. I know Blueshoes and I had a great time and I will be back. Best wishes for your future events, and please keep in touch. :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

WittyBird
13th-March-2007, 12:55 AM
To have a thread called "Booming Belfast" is perhaps a tad unfortunate. However, to then say it is going to be "a blast" is definately not going to sell it to me.

:what:

Deserves Rep :rofl: :worthy: Funniest thing I've read in the last 10 mins :cheers: