PDA

View Full Version : Online dance comp

Lee Bartholomew
15th-January-2007, 06:51 PM
Have been thinking recently. Most people who use this forum are unlikely to meet let alone dance with a majority of the other dancers on this forum.

Were not even likely to be able to watch other dancers dance very often if there is a 500 mile distance between locations.

Then it came to me. Technology.

What if I set up a site that allows people to upload their dancing videos on to the site. But then that's what youtube is for. What can be done different.

What about being able to rate the videos and use it as a online dance comp. Different catagorys and a prize or another for first second third place. They will be scored by a voting system. Voted for by other site users.

I have the ability, domain and time to knock the site up.

Anyone else any ideas or think it's a good idea?

Anyone able to suggest a prize? Maybe a chance for the winners to perform the routine as a caberet at a event?

Let me know asap as have spare time over next day or two to knock a site up.

David Franklin
15th-January-2007, 07:06 PM
What if I set up a site that allows people to upload their dancing videos on to the site. But then that's what youtube is for. What can be done different.

What about being able to rate the videos and use it as a online dance comp. Different catagorys and a prize or another for first second third place. They will be scored by a voting system. Voted for by other site users.It's not a bad idea, if people are brave enough to take part. But think about how you felt when people commented on your video. I'm not sure many people will want to subject themselves to that. There are a lot more critics than performers on here...

I'm happy to be proved wrong though. Ignoring the competition side, it would be good if there was a lot more MJ footage around and available for discussion/dissection.

Lee Bartholomew
15th-January-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't think most people are that bothered by critique.

When I posted the spinning vid, I did get some stick but only from those who were going to give stick anyhow, regardless of the clip. In all, I got a lot of pos. and constructive comments.

I did think about it and thought would give an option when uploading video allowing comments to be posted on the clip or not.

Lory
15th-January-2007, 07:44 PM
It's not a bad idea, if people are brave enough to take part.

:yeah: I think its a great idea :nice: but I'm one who'd fall in the 'not brave enough to enter' catagory :blush: :blush:

Jamie
15th-January-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't like the "comp" idea, but I'd certainly like a site to watch/upload dancing videos...

Lee Bartholomew
15th-January-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't like the "comp" idea, but I'd certainly like a site to watch/upload dancing videos...

I could be voluntery when uploading the vids on entering comp.

Jamie
15th-January-2007, 08:06 PM
I could be voluntery when uploading the vids on entering comp.

That sounds better, I think the idea of a comp will put many people off (even me, and I love to show off! lol) but if it's just a site dedicated to uploading/watching videos of dancing then I'll all for it!

Gav
15th-January-2007, 08:18 PM
maybe someone like Woodface could bring his camera to some of the more popular venues, such as Ashton's etc and offer to video people.
Obviously none done without the dancers permission and you'd probably need permission from the venue.
At least if it's done that way it isn't restricted to only those that have access to a camera.

ducasi
15th-January-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't think the competition thing would work well, so all you'd end up with is a "JiveTube".

littlewiggle
15th-January-2007, 08:21 PM
maybe someone like Woodface could bring his camera to some of the more popular venues, such as Ashton's etc and offer to video people.
Obviously none done without the dancers permission and you'd probably need permission from the venue.
At least if it's done that way it isn't restricted to only those that have access to a camera.

Off thread a little - but the above made me think of Macey's freestyles - I'm trying it for the first time on Friday. They pick dancers for their 'hotspots' where they film you for two dances and give you a free dvd at the end. Anyone been?

TheTramp
15th-January-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm not so sure about the competition thing either. But it would be nice to have videos of people dancing.

Who knows, I might even put one up.....

Lee Bartholomew
15th-January-2007, 08:56 PM
Maybe i'll start it off as a vid post site, Then look at holding a comp later???

Baruch
15th-January-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm happy to take part in real-life comps, but not online via video. The whole point of a competition to me is the enjoyment of the event, the adrenaline buzz, the atmosphere and the excitement. None of that would be present with a video comp, and there would be nothing to temper the criticism that would be given. All in all it would be a bit "flat" to me.

Yogi_Bear
15th-January-2007, 11:28 PM
Off thread a little - but the above made me think of Macey's freestyles - I'm trying it for the first time on Friday. They pick dancers for their 'hotspots' where they film you for two dances and give you a free dvd at the end. Anyone been?

I have been considering Macie's in Bedford on the 28th...could be worth a try.

Paulthetrainer
15th-January-2007, 11:54 PM
Maybe i'll start it off as a vid post site, Then look at holding a comp later???

Good idea Lee.

Andy McGregor
16th-January-2007, 12:11 AM
I've got an even better idea for a dance competition. How about we hire a big hall, with a fab floor and get a crowd of dancers to dance to the same track on the same floor with the same judges - I think that a few events like this, dotted around the country would be popular. It might eliminate all the variables except dance talent :whistle:

However, it would be nice to have an on-line library of people dancing modern jive. There could even be sub-categories for fringe dances like Argentine Tango, Salsa, The Woodface Spin-thing, Lindy Hop, etc, etc. You could even post reviews and give star ratings. I think people would look at it. Although I'm not sure how many people would be brave enough to post their videos.

Andy McGregor
16th-January-2007, 12:14 AM
I could be voluntery when uploading the vids on entering comp.Spelling infraction:angry:

Give me 20 spins.

Lee Bartholomew
16th-January-2007, 01:05 AM
The thing is there would have to be a reason for people to go out of their way and film themselves dancing for the site. How many people on this forum or otherwise would say they would do it but actually get around to doing it.

Getting a site like this done will take a lot of my time and effort and money which I don't mind spending on something that will be used, but I will be gutted if a month later it has had two hits and one video of someone moonwalking.

If I do do it there will be catagorys of different dances and maybe a catagory on lessons, demos etc.

What about filming at venues. As much as I would love to travel the country I don't have the time money or vehicle in which to do so. Are there others that can offer this service?

I think the general opinion is that a site like that would be good for the viewer. My main worry is getting content.

People?

MartinHarper
16th-January-2007, 01:27 AM
canidanceornot?

I think it could be a fun site, particularly if you don't restrict it to any particular dance form. However, I kinda doubt you would get many submissions. I have a vague desire to get a video of myself dancing, but have never motivated myself to get camera + camera operator + partner + self all in the same place/time. Laziness triumphs. Such a site might be seedable from the "video lesson" that some weekenders offer, given relevant permission grants.

Lessons/etc has been done, as exemplified by idance.net, bustamove, and how2dance, and lots of others. I've not seen it done for MJ yet. On the one hand, this is a gap in the market. On the other hand, online dance teaching sites do not appear to be wildly profitable. You may wish to go to some of the existing sites for advice. If you merely want to get teaching vids of yourself online and organised (and possibly paid for), you may do better submitting them to an existing group under a new "modern jive" category.

David Franklin
16th-January-2007, 01:34 AM
The thing is there would have to be a reason for people to go out of their way and film themselves dancing for the site. How many people on this forum or otherwise would say they would do it but actually get around to doing it.Most of the "serious" dancers (who compete and/or perform), video themselves as a matter of course. Without particularly trying, I can think of 10 people on the forum who could contribute videos.

What about filming at venues. As much as I would love to travel the country I don't have the time money or vehicle in which to do so. Are there others that can offer this service?Again, almost any serious dancer will either have a video camera or know someone who does. I don't think videoing at a venue is a great plan - unless you clear the floor, it's very hard to get decent footage without having other people in the shot (who you'd then have to get permission from).

I think the general opinion is that a site like that would be good for the viewer. My main worry is getting content.Well, that's definitely the problem. Do I think it would be great to have footage we could discuss and dissect, saying "That's good, but that's bad"? Absolutely. Am I prepared to put my own dancing up to that scrutiny? Doubtful.

In terms of the effort involved, I'm not really seeing anything that couldn't be done just as easily with a page of links to YouTube. Is there something I'm missing?

Lee Bartholomew
16th-January-2007, 01:39 AM
In terms of the effort involved, I'm not really seeing anything that couldn't be done just as easily with a page of links to YouTube. Is there something I'm missing?

That did cross my mind a few times. I would def want it to be more than just youtube links though. Would want it to be geared towards dancing in general and be able to have full control over it should people have suggestions after the site is up.

Also want to do it from a personal point as need to get a portfolio of fully developed sites together within a month or two.

MartinHarper
16th-January-2007, 01:43 AM
In terms of videoing people at events, I suggest talking to DavidJames, Asif, or some other event photographer for info about the laws and etiquette surrounding consent. On one extreme, I suspect you don't need permission to overtly video a public busk, but I don't know where the border lines are.

David Franklin
16th-January-2007, 01:45 AM
That did cross my mind a few times. I would def want it to be more than just youtube links though. Would want it to be geared towards dancing in general and be able to have full control over it should people have suggestions after the site is up.Yeah, control is an issue. I did actually upload a video of one of our cabaret routines to YouTube, but in the end I decided I didn't want it to be public. Once something's on the internet, it's there for ever, even if you don't want it to be.

On which note, you want to use some kind of streaming tech so it's not trivial for people to copy the videos and reuse/resumbit them.

Also want to do it from a personal point as need to get a portfolio of fully developed sites together within a month or two.Well at least you're honest about it! :rofl:

Andy McGregor
16th-January-2007, 01:50 AM
Well at least your honest about it! :rofl:Whilst this wouldn't raise an eyebrow in a post by woodface and would be considered an improvement in any post by fletch (am I the only pedant to notice the lower-case first letters?), I am horrified that a brilliant speller like David has made this mistake :wink:

No infraction this time but consider yourself warned :devil:

MartinHarper
16th-January-2007, 01:50 AM
Also want to do it from a personal point as need to get a portfolio of fully developed sites together within a month or two.

That's not a realistic aim. Sites with community interaction take work and time. You could maybe get a portfolio of "proof of concept" sites together in that time. However, don't invite your friends to use them, or they'll be disillusioned when the sites collapse after your portfolio has served its purpose.

Lee Bartholomew
16th-January-2007, 01:51 AM
On which note, you want to use some kind of streaming tech so it's not trivial for people to copy the videos and reuse/resumbit them.

Well at least your honest about it!

I don't know. One of my pet pev's about youtube is how much of a pain keeping a perm copy of a video is. I can do the whole convert to flash thing, but is it really worth it? Might start of with normal embedded media files then see how it goes.

Obv don't just want to do it for my own personal reasons. I want to give something back to the dance community :wink:

Lee Bartholomew
16th-January-2007, 01:52 AM
That's not a realistic aim. Sites with community interaction take work and time. You could maybe get a portfolio of "proof of concept" sites together in that time. However, don't invite your friends to use them, or they'll be disillusioned when the sites collapse after your portfolio has served its purpose.

Im a quick worker MH. The site isn't just to serve a portfolio. Playing part of a portfolio is just an added bonus.

Andy McGregor
16th-January-2007, 01:54 AM
Well at least you're honest about it! :rofl:Phew! All well with the world again:waycool:

Andy McGregor
16th-January-2007, 01:56 AM
I want to give something back to the dance community :wink::sick:

David Franklin
16th-January-2007, 02:02 AM
I don't know. One of my pet pev's about youtube is how much of a pain keeping a perm copy of a video is. I can do the whole convert to flash thing, but is it really worth it? Might start of with normal embedded media files then see how it goes.I would be a lot more wary about providing footage to a site if that footage could easily be copied. Because even if I change my mind about making the footage public, there are going to be lots of copies going around that I don't control.

Do you think that "Star Wars Kid" (Star Wars Kid - ebaumsworld.com) would have ever made the video if he'd realised just how much it would have got copied around?

(Obviously, the YouTube protection can be got round, so there's still a risk. But at least it's not as trivial as right-clicking and choosing "Save As...")

I want to give something back to the dance community :wink: :sick: Admit it, you're thinking herpes, aren't you Andy?

Lee Bartholomew
16th-January-2007, 02:07 AM
(Obviously, the YouTube protection can be got round, so there's still a risk. But at least it's not as trivial as right-clicking and choosing "Save As...")

Admit it, you're thinking herpes, aren't you Andy?

Don't talk to Andy about herpes. Bit of a sore spot with him at the moment.

Your right about the copy protection thing although it will prob be low down on the list of things to be done to get the site up and running, it should be done.

Been jotting down all the stuff I need to do and working on a layout. Hope to have something up by next week.

SteveK
16th-January-2007, 07:29 AM
I would be a lot more wary about providing footage to a site if that footage could easily be copied. Because even if I change my mind about making the footage public, there are going to be lots of copies going around that I don't control.

http://www.dubayou.com/mytube.php does make it almost as easy as right-clicking and choosing "save as..."

Andy McGregor
16th-January-2007, 08:44 AM
Admit it, you're thinking herpes, aren't you Andy?Actually, I was thinking something quite unfunny. I thought everyone would get it. I'm always on my guard when somebody says they want to 'give something back'. In my experience, they mean nothing of the sort, often they actually want something from you.

From what I've seen, woodface is quite competitive and a bit of a show-off (did I say I wasn't?). Giving "something back" and showing everyone that you're better than them are not really the same at all.

N.B. I would be more of a show-off but, nowadays, I'm just too tired/in the wrong place/too old/not good enough/etc - I'm teaching so I can give something back ...:whistle:

spindr
16th-January-2007, 09:23 AM
Lessons/etc has been done, as exemplified by idance.net, bustamove, and how2dance, and lots of others. I've not seen it done for MJ yet. On the one hand, this is a gap in the market.
MJ has also been done
http://www.gingerjive.com/pages/learning.php
http://www.danceyourselfdizzy.com/

Cheers,
SpinDr

MartinHarper
16th-January-2007, 10:53 AM
Im a quick worker MH.

Quick work isn't enough. Sites with community input take time and patience to develop. The whole point of a community is other people, who work on their own priorities and timescales, not yours.

Feel free to learn this yourself if you don't believe me.

Lee Bartholomew
16th-January-2007, 11:07 AM
Don't worry MH, I know exactly how much hard work and time these things take.

Caro
16th-January-2007, 01:22 PM
I think the idea of having an online place where you can place your videos to receive, if you want, critiques, is not a bad one (personnally not interested in the competition aspect of it).

However, I have to admit, I'd be very picky about who I'd like to be critised by... :whistle:

Gav
20th-March-2007, 09:31 AM
I think the idea of having an online place where you can place your videos to receive, if you want, critiques, is not a bad one (personnally not interested in the competition aspect of it).

However, I have to admit, I'd be very picky about who I'd like to be critised by... :whistle:

You'd have to have a thick skin and just choose to ignore the criticism of the people whose opinion you don't value.

fletch
20th-March-2007, 09:56 AM
Have been thinking recently. Most people who use this forum are unlikely to meet let alone dance with a majority of the other dancers on this forum.

I'm doing my best to get around them all :na:

Spelling infraction:angry:

:eek: what's that then :confused: I have never had one :na:

In terms of videoing people at events, Asif,

I will let you know what I think when we get the Beach Boggie DVD we have only been waiting since August :whistle:

Gav
20th-March-2007, 10:06 AM
I will let you know what I think when we get the Beach Boggie DVD we have only been waiting since August :whistle:

What would we do without you Fletch? :cheers: :rofl: :love: