PDA

View Full Version : 2 Q's

CJ
15th-January-2007, 02:11 PM
1) Am looking for something, some one or some tune to reignite my enthusiasm for Ceroc... Any ideas?

2) Would competing help and, if so, does anyone fancy it?

under par
15th-January-2007, 02:13 PM
need a hug CJ?

here have a few:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope you find what you want!:hug: one more for luck!

Double Trouble
15th-January-2007, 02:14 PM
1)Any ideas?

Get your hair cut. :D

robd
15th-January-2007, 02:36 PM
1) Am looking for something, some one or some tune to reignite my enthusiasm for Ceroc... Any ideas?

As good a topic as any for a 1000th post :grin: I have tried to stick on 999, managed it for a month but realised it hasn't actually resulted in me being more productive at work (one of the intentions with the hiatus) and I still spend just as much time browsing as I ever did :blush:

Back on topic:

1 - Everyone will have different stimuli for their dancing and the enjoyment they get from it I guess but one lesson I learned before Christmas is that the enjoyment I get from an evening's dancing is often directly proportionate to the attitude I go with and the effort I put in once there. 'Don't expect other people to make your night for you' is the point I am trying to make here, I suppose. As a leader, once you get to a reasonable standard then you really don't have to put the effort in. You can sit back and be sure that you will get asked to dance sufficient times - there are almost always more women than men and the ratio of good women to good men is stacked even higher in our favour. However this doesn't always make for a satisfying evening - sometimes it's nice to be in control (take note Msfab :devil: ) and be the one choosing your partner rather than being chosen.

2 - Don't know. Haven't competed (other than local DWAS comps) and no current intention to do so (for a variety of reasons). It will certainly give your dancing a focus that it currently may lack.

Robert

Dreadful Scathe
15th-January-2007, 02:39 PM

A sexy leotard, Dale Winton and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" ..the William Shatner version. Should do the job really :)

Sure. Ill lead or follow - I'm equally poor either way:)

Freya
15th-January-2007, 03:05 PM
I've found that if I get comfy and don't put alot of effort into something or don't have an aim that I want to acheive then I won't get alot from something. With dancing I feel that I'm not progressing well at the moment and that I'm not getting alot out of it. Yes I'm still enjoying it but feel at the end of a night I've not acheived very much or not progressed.

I've found that If I have an aim to acheive at the end of the night even if its something as silly as by the end of the night I will ask that really really good lead that I'm scared to ask to dance and I do it then I'll have a better night and be on a high. Unless it goes tits up and actually it was a really rubbish dance and I'll feel I made a fool of myself. Ok not a brilliant example but you get the jist.

Another thing I've found helps is that if I set myself a goal for a couplke of months time!

Something like competeing may help especially if you get a partner that you bond well with and progress with at a steady rate. Your aiming for something and you have someone to bounce off of and drag you to things...practice, freestyle etc!

Ok I get the feeling I'm whittering now! So I'll shut up!

Gadget
16th-January-2007, 01:52 PM
You could try finding another dance style and see how it can be addapted... AT is sort of passe now, I think "hop-hop" would suit you. :wink:

Or try putting together a routine or finding a song to make a showcase of and really disecting it.

Or asking someone to tear appart your dancing so you can work on putting it back together again.

2) Would competing help and, if so, does anyone fancy it?[/QUOTE]
I think that the "partner" thing would help; practice and one-on-one time with someone, but it would help no matter if you were competing or not.

:shrug: hope you find the spark again soon :hug:

Jamie
16th-January-2007, 01:57 PM
I think competing will wreck any enthusiasm you have left CJ... It'll turn dancing into something a lot more serious...

I think the question you need to ask yourself is "why did I start in the first place?"...

Hope you get yourself sorted out!

Dai
16th-January-2007, 03:27 PM
:yeah: like wot jamie said innit!!

No seriously - if you put pressure on yourself to compete - you will find it more of a chore than an enjoyment.

Try the new style thing, or a new venue.

Hope you get your enthusiasm back

drathzel
16th-January-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi CJ

Think back to that last spark of enthusiam you had about a year and a half ago and think what made it then? What was it that made dancing come alive for you. I know you competed with isabel and i think that helped as well so maybe the competition thing helped for you.

:love:

David Franklin
16th-January-2007, 04:06 PM
1) Am looking for something, some one or some tune to reignite my enthusiasm for Ceroc... Any ideas?Another suggestion, given your music background, might be to try to choreograph a routine of some sort. I'm sure you could come up with an interesting music choice and some original interpretation. It is bloody hard work though! (I don't think anyone ever realises how much work it is until they do it themselves).

CentrAlex
16th-January-2007, 04:10 PM
Another suggestion, given your music background, might be to try to choreograph a routine of some sort. I'm sure you could come up with an interesting music choice and some original interpretation. It is bloody hard work though! (I don't think anyone ever realises how much work it is until they do it themselves).

:yeah:

But choreographing something can really get you going sometimes and you find yourself sitting at work/driving/in bed just thinking about what other stuff you can put into the routine...hopefully that will get you more enthused rather than pulling your hair out in frustration!!

Good luck!

Caro
16th-January-2007, 06:51 PM
Another suggestion, (...) might be to try to choreograph a routine of some sort.

Actually I've been thinking about doing that too... I'm up for it CJ if you are... :wink:

dave the scaffolder
16th-January-2007, 06:59 PM
[quote=Ceroc Jock;329899]1) Am looking for something, some one or some tune to reignite my enthusiasm for Ceroc... Any ideas?

Hey CJ you big stud muffin why dont you try and be a follower for a while i am trying it with Trouble and bugger me it is hard. You will get a better understanding of spins etc anyway must go i am washing my hair. See you soon my man xxxxx. Ps us Welsh can drink you Scottish boys under the table with our eyes closed XXXXX :cheers:

TheTramp
17th-January-2007, 02:58 AM
Hey CJ you big stud muffin why dont you try and be a follower for a while i am trying it with Trouble and bugger me it is hard.

Did anyone else have to read this 3 time to stop the tears that came into their eyes?

Dreadful Scathe
17th-January-2007, 09:09 AM
Did anyone else have to read this 3 time to stop the tears that came into their eyes?
all i can say is :eek:

Andy McGregor
17th-January-2007, 09:43 AM

2) Would competing help and, if so, does anyone fancy it?My advice is to take a complete break from dancing for a few weeks. Go to the cinema, see a few bands, read a few books, go swimming, go shopping, learn origami, etc, etc.

You might realise you miss dancing while you're away, you might realise how much you enjoy it when you return. You might even decide, God forbid, that dancing has done it's job for you. Don't be afraid to quit, but, before you do, find something you're going to replace it with.

On the subject of competing. If you take it seriously, it is hard and it's emotionally draining, especially if you put in loads of work and then get knocked out in the first round :tears: In my experience, it's the competing, preparation, cameraderie, dressing up, teamwork, etc, that's fun, getting the medals is what makes your mum/kids proud of you but there's nothing clever about walking up to someone and being given a ribbon, a cheap medal and an envelope - IMHO, the receipt of all this is more about who wasn't there to beat you. I My answer is to enter, treat it as a bit of fun, have a laugh and then forget it. Take ages working out what to wear rather than hours working out what's wrong with your dancing that you need to fix for a competition.

straycat
17th-January-2007, 10:02 AM
My advice is to take a complete break from dancing for a few weeks. Go to the cinema, see a few bands, read a few books, go swimming, go shopping, learn origami, etc, etc.

:yeah:

I've done that a few times (sometimes stopping for months), and generally come back refreshed and enjoying it much more.

The other thing I've done (more recently) is to focus on other dance forms - that's helped my MJ more than anything else I've done - both in terms of enjoyment, and improving my dance.

Shodan
17th-January-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm having the same problem with Jive. I'm just not progressing and actually finding it boring for the most part.
I still go along to classes though as its the only time to see my dance friends.

I've found to spice it up a bit, I dance with all the beginners. I know it may seem strange but I find helping them and watching their faces light up because they are learning is rather rewarding.

For myself though, I've started learning Tango. And fortunately I have a Tango Partner who I dance with very well (and shes cute, so that helps with the enthuasiam :blush:)

Trouble
17th-January-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey CJ you big stud muffin why dont you try and be a follower for a while i am trying it with Trouble and bugger me it is hard. You will get a better understanding of spins etc anyway must go i am washing my hair. See you soon my man xxxxx. Ps us Welsh can drink you Scottish boys under the table with our eyes closed XXXXX :cheers:

ITS NOT THAT HARD DAVE..:whistle:

pawplay
17th-January-2007, 04:14 PM
Think back to that last spark of enthusiam you had.......think what made it then? What was it that made dancing come alive for you.

Obviously apart from dancing with me!!!:whistle: :whistle: Also, i find if my personal life changes, my expectations of dance change. For example i want every dance to be great and just end up frustrated when work is getting to me.
Dance and the dance scene is so very varied and as complex or simple as you make it. Work out what you want from ceroc/dancing, then you'll find it. In the mean time, be patient, this period of transition may be the quiet before an amaizing storm!!
:hug:

TheTramp
17th-January-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm having the same problem with Jive. I'm just not progressing and actually finding it boring for the most part.

It must be terrible to get so good at something that you find you just can't progress any further.

I wish I could get there.... :flower:

straycat
17th-January-2007, 10:47 PM
ITS NOT THAT HARD DAVE..:whistle:

Bet you say that to all the guys...

Shodan
18th-January-2007, 04:03 PM
It must be terrible to get so good at something that you find you just can't progress any further.

I wish I could get there.... :flower:
Hehehe. No, its not that. I'm just very forgetful - I don't remember new moves very well and can only do a few that I can remember. Thus I'm not making any progression and stuck at my own level.

TheTramp
18th-January-2007, 04:29 PM
Hehehe. No, its not that. I'm just very forgetful - I don't remember new moves very well and can only do a few that I can remember. Thus I'm not making any progression and stuck at my own level.

Worry less about learning new moves, and just work at dancing the ones that you do better?

I'm not saying that you don't do them well of course, just that we can all improve, and improvement very rarely means more moves...

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
20th-January-2007, 10:49 PM
I have been having trouble getting the spark back into my dancing, i've only just returned to Ceroc these past couple of weeks (and that's only been the freestyle). I've not really danced properly in about 2 or so months, thus I guess the almost disapearance of me from the Ceroc forum radar. I haven't been enjoying myself as much as I used to because I guess my confidence has dipped a bit as it has been so long! It's tough I gotta say, anyone any advice? I thought trying to get back into the routine of coming to the beginners class might help. I also don't feel as close to all of my Ceroc mates which makes me :sad: hope it passes soon as I think you are all the greatest :respect:

Dance Demon
21st-January-2007, 10:18 PM
CJ.......get the paint brushes & rollers out, and do a spot of decorating.....:wink:
you'll enjoy your dancing a lot more when you can use it as an excuse to get out of doing up the house......

MartinHarper
22nd-January-2007, 01:36 AM
I found taking a dance break was helpful, because it cleared out a lot of the dance-related mush in my head. I came back to the hobby remembering the stuff I could do well, and forgetting all the stuff I couldn't do well. I think that was a better basis for further progress.
The other thing is that, after a break, I got a great sensation of progress because I was initially rusty and then got back into it. Totally illusory, but oddly satisfying.

CJ
22nd-January-2007, 09:41 PM
CJ.......get the paint brushes & rollers out, and do a spot of decorating.....:wink:
you'll enjoy your dancing a lot more when you can use it as an excuse to get out of doing up the house......

Having recently bought, you know.... decorating might just be the answer.:D

Double Trouble
23rd-January-2007, 03:47 PM
Having recently bought

What? A paint brush?

CJ
23rd-January-2007, 03:53 PM
What? A paint brush?

a tumble dryer.:D

... for my new house.:rolleyes:

Trouble
23rd-January-2007, 03:54 PM
a tumble dryer.:D

... for my new house.:rolleyes:

oooooooh a new house.. Ark at you.!!! - when is the house warming then :love:

CJ
23rd-January-2007, 03:59 PM
oooooooh a new house.. Ark at you.!!! - when is the house warming then :love:

(have been in 6 months, but it needs decorating) House warming was fab!! Did we not tell you about it?!?:eek: Must have iphone owners only!!:rolleyes:

DD, you got any spare time to help?!?

CJ
6th-February-2007, 01:46 AM
All good.....:D

The decorating has started, and the cinema/multimedia room is finished.:D :clap: :D (remember guys... he who dies with the most toys, wins!!!:waycool: )

Dancing.... Hmmmmmm....:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I have too many people to thank, too many new experiences to share, but am back. And it feels fantastic.

Beowulf
6th-February-2007, 11:24 AM
the cinema/multimedia room is finished.:D :clap:

DTS 5.1? 6.1? What size sub woofer? How big the screen? HD DVD :clap: or Blueray :sick: HD LCD wide-screen or Projector?

*starts looking feverish*

sorry.. you mentioned home cinema.. am more of a movie buff than I am a dancer.. and my home cinema is my pride and joy.. I just wish I had more money to make it even <S>louder</S> erm.. I mean.. Better

(ps... great Test DVD. Der Untergang (downfall) DTS ES.. if you can get it.. the sound is superb.. that and the Canadian version of Brotherhood of the wolf (Again DTS) superb audio rendering)