PDA

View Full Version : PC a little on the big side??

Beowulf
15th-January-2007, 12:29 PM
I just love this dinky little device (http://www.our-picks.com/archives/2007/01/15/worlds-smallest-pc/)

as one of the comments states it's probably designed for industrial monitoring but I still think it's pretty cool.

and no.. it wasn't me who made the comment about the Beowulf Cluster :waycool: :D

David Franklin
15th-January-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, it is a big large. If you want to save space, you might want to get one of these (www.picotux.com). (For sense of scale, the socket is a real size Ethernet socket).

andystyle
15th-January-2007, 12:44 PM
*adopts snooty attitude*

It'll never catch on!

*serious now*

But I'm only saying that because I've just spent considerable time and effort researching, buying and building a new system.

I do like the idea of attaching your 19" widescreen and a little box dangling off the lead.

"What's that?"

"My computer..."

ducasi
15th-January-2007, 01:22 PM
I do like the idea of attaching your 19" widescreen and a little box dangling off the lead.
My computer (http://www.apple.com/imac/) is inside my 20" widescreen monitor.

David Franklin
15th-January-2007, 01:31 PM
My computer (http://www.apple.com/imac/) is inside my 20" widescreen monitor.They are nice, but the screen's a bit small for entertainment use. I wonder if there's a market to do the same thing with 32"+ LCD screens? As I posted elsewhere (can't be bothered to HarperLink), I did debate getting a MacMini to plug into the TV, but one thing that put me off was the relatively "underpowered" Mac you end up with. But with a 32" screen, you'd have a fair bit more room to stick in a Conroe CPU and a decently sized HD.

andystyle
15th-January-2007, 02:14 PM
OK, this may be off thread...I'll start a new one if people want me to...but what do people think of the TV versus media centre option? I'm currently turning my system into a media centre - next step is a TV adapter - but I have no experience with this sort of thing.

ducasi
15th-January-2007, 02:31 PM
They are nice, but the screen's a bit small for entertainment use. I wonder if there's a market to do the same thing with 32"+ LCD screens? As I posted elsewhere (can't be bothered to HarperLink), I did debate getting a MacMini to plug into the TV, but one thing that put me off was the relatively "underpowered" Mac you end up with. But with a 32" screen, you'd have a fair bit more room to stick in a Conroe CPU and a decently sized HD.
I think the current Core Duos in the Mac mini are good enough for entertainment use, though the graphics chip is a bit under-powered. I hope Apple will upgrade them soon. (I'm thinking of buying one as a "home server", and would attach faster firewire drives to it in that case – you can get ones that match the mini case. :))

There's also the AppleTV, which does look rather neat, if you're prepared to fit in with iTunes' format limitations.

But yeah, I'm sure there would be a good market for 32" (and larger) screens with all the normal video inputs and a Mac built-in.

ducasi
15th-January-2007, 02:48 PM
OK, this may be off thread...I'll start a new one if people want me to...but what do people think of the TV versus media centre option? I'm currently turning my system into a media centre - next step is a TV adapter - but I have no experience with this sort of thing.
What it comes down to is, what do you want to do, and what is the easiest way of doing it?

I don't want my main computer in my lounge, but I would like to play back "media" stored on it on my TV.

I'd quite fancy being able to watch some TV on my computer some times, but I don't want to use my computer as a PVR – the complexities of getting it to work with my cable box would be too much, and again, it's in the wrong room. Better I think to get a PVR that can sit underneath my cable box and knows how to change channels on it. Or even better, hope that ntl will hurry up and make their own pvr system available.

So-far a "media" computer attached to my TV isn't looking worth it, but maybe something like the AppleTV (which works with Windows computers too!) would be good for me.

andystyle
15th-January-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't want a PC in the living room either! Although I was at a flat where this was the case, and it workes surprisingly well.

Na, I flat-share so the PC is in my room and space is a premium. Hence why I'm going that way...think I've just answered my own question. I was curious if anyone else had done so and what their experiences of this were.

Ideally I'd like a server system. A ma-hoo-sive drive somewhere where all my media is stored. A media box in the main room that taps into this, the same in the bedroom. A smaller one in the kitchen for music while you cook (I'd would say me, but my gf does all mine :innocent: ). Data points for laptops. Why? I can't really answer that, but the fact I'm in the Geek's Corner should be answer enough! Can't get enough of technology...

Yeah. Might as well wish for that Learjet while I'm at it...

BeccaB
15th-January-2007, 04:37 PM
http://www.metku.net/index.html?path=mods/whiskypc/index_eng4

I don't know if this link will work, but for all you gadget fans, and for people saying they don't want their PC in the living room, it's amazing what you can fit a PC into! So it can be disguised as an everyday item.

philsmove
15th-January-2007, 05:10 PM

Doesn’t an Xbox allow you to do this with Windows media or Vista ??

David Franklin
15th-January-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't want my main computer in my lounge, but I would like to play back "media" stored on it on my TV.This is the ideal, but I think for most people the networking side is the problem. Most people advise that trying to stream video over 54g is asking for disappointment, but on the other hand, who wants an ethernet cable trailing around. There are workarounds (I know one person who just takes his external drive downstairs when he wants to watch something on it!), but it's a long way from the ideal. As you say, who wants to tinker with a PC just to get something to play in the living room; it needs to "just work".

From personal experience, I've tried sticking my old PC into the TV just to see what it's like, and over wireless it's nowhere near usable for decent quality video. (Though part of the problem is that the main (server) PC only has a wireless link to the router as well - so we're using 2 wireless connections to stream video). It's possible converting everything to DivX or similar might reduce the bandwidth to something workable, but all of a sudden it does feel like a lot of hassle again.

I'll probably have another look when the prices for 54n and variants goes down.

ducasi
15th-January-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.metku.net/index.html?path=mods/whiskypc/index_eng4

I don't know if this link will work, but for all you gadget fans, and for people saying they don't want their PC in the living room, it's amazing what you can fit a PC into! So it can be disguised as an everyday item.
Like it! Often computer "mods" are done to make boring boxes look more exciting (typically by putting blue LEDs in them – see example from the same page), so I like the understatement in this one.

Anyway, I don't want my computer in my living room, not for aesthetic reasons, but because I want to use it at a desk in another room. :)

ducasi
15th-January-2007, 06:54 PM
This is the ideal, but I think for most people the networking side is the problem.
This is exactly why Apple created the AppleTV.

Though networking isn't a problem for me, but I guess I'm unusual in having Cat5 sockets in all my rooms... :whistle:

I also wonder what the Slingbox and in particular the new SlingCatcher is/will be like...

Lee Bartholomew
15th-January-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah but an apple? Get a media PC.

Last apple I had (imac) got turned in to a fish tank with CD player in the bottom (will post pics if I can find them)

andystyle
15th-January-2007, 07:06 PM
Yeah. PC all the way. :wink:

*sits back and awaits flaming from all the Apple fans*

andystyle
15th-January-2007, 07:08 PM
Oh, and... http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/onyourpc.html

I'd be wary about trying to stream TV from the internet too, especially as I also have wireless - anyone been playing online and suddenly been presented with 'Disconnected from Server'? :angry:

Beowulf
16th-January-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm still thinking about getting one of these.. if just for novelty value ;)

ducasi
16th-January-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm still thinking about getting one of these.. if just for novelty value ;)
What would you do with it?

How much did it cost again?

Beowulf
22nd-January-2007, 11:06 AM
What would you do with it?

Now you see.. that implies that I have a reason for getting one. I don't I'm a geek , I'd get one just to be geeky and have one. As for what I'd do with it? The Answer is.. "What ever I could !!" Depending on power supply constraints I could do all manner of things with it.. A webcam server which is smaller than my webcam perhaps :) with the addition of some flashing lights, some coloured perspex I could (perhaps) fashion my very own (mostly) working ORAC (from Blakes 7) .. the nerdy geeky schmuckery I could get up to with it knows no bounds :)

How much did it cost again?

Not too expensive ($300 or $400 IIRC) but too expensive just to get one to play with :)

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-January-2007, 11:30 AM
a mere £209 for the cheapest version of this (http://www.jadeintegration.com/jackpc.php)

ducasi
22nd-January-2007, 01:22 PM
a mere £209 for the cheapest version of this (http://www.jadeintegration.com/jackpc.php)
Now that is a cute idea... :)

Lory
22nd-January-2007, 01:53 PM
I thought this thread was talking about Underpar :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-May-2007, 12:35 PM
I thought this thread was talking about Underpar :whistle:

leave underpars willy out of this

anyway - for anyone that wants to buy a small pc here are the BUY screens

"linux mini" (http://www.picotux.com/ordere.html) and
"windows ce wall and mini" (http://www.jadeintegration.com/prices.php?m=chippc)