PDA

View Full Version : London classes for other dance styles

ALexyMiss
15th-January-2007, 12:14 AM
[Insert usual apology if this has already been asked previously]

I want to start doing more classes in other (i.e. not Ceroc) dance styles e.g. Ballroom, Tango, west-coast swing, street-dance. I know of a few classes that I've heard are good, but was wondering if people could enlighten me on what the options are in London...

Ones that I know a little about are:

- Jango: Amir's classes were fantastic :respect: , but no regular classes (apart from the demo teams) at the moment I don't think
- West-coast swing: Wednesdays in Twickenham, I'm going to try this as I've heard good things about it
- Tango Federico: anyone been or know any more?

What else is out there in London?
(preferably central, W, SW or NW London)

and if you can say a bit about the set-up? E.g. Is it a course of classes that you have to start on a certain date? Do you need to pre-book? Do you need to bring a partner? What's the gender balance like normally? Is there any 'freestyle' time afterwards? How sociable/ friendly are the people there?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :flower:

Gav
15th-January-2007, 02:04 AM
Excuse me for being biased, but having recently started learning Argentine Tango and having read the reviews of London classes, you've got to give it a try.
There's tons to do in London (just ask CeeCee or DJ) and having danced with you, I'm sure you'd cope with it (even if it is exceptionally hard to do!).
There's about a thousand posts to go through at http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7420 or PM CeeCee or DJ and I'm sure they'll tell you where to look.
BTW, be careful it's more addictive than MJ!
:flower:

David Bailey
15th-January-2007, 09:33 AM
I'll answer the AT side of things, I know nothing about ballroom however...

- Jango: Amir's classes were fantastic :respect: , but no regular classes (apart from the demo teams) at the moment I don't think
There are still workshops I think, but they get booked quite a long way in advance.

Yes.... :sick:
Don't go to a Federico class.

What else is out there in London? (preferably central, W, SW or NW London)
As Gav has said, read through the "Learning Tango" thread, there's loads of London venue reviews there.

and if you can say a bit about the set-up? E.g. Is it a course of classes that you have to start on a certain date? Do you need to pre-book?
It depends - most classes are "drop-in", however.

Do you need to bring a partner?
Nope, but the amount of "moving round" varies from class to class.

What's the gender balance like normally?
More women, on average - like Ceroc, in other words.

Is there any 'freestyle' time afterwards?
It varies - see the class reviews for details.

How sociable/ friendly are the people there?
More so than salsa, less so than Ceroc.

Sheepman
15th-January-2007, 04:29 PM
- West-coast swing: Wednesdays in Twickenham, I'm going to try this as I've heard good things about it

Monday & Thursday nights Amir is busy with the Jango demo routines for the next couple of months. Of course there are still the monthly Jango workshops, though you need to book up about 3 or more weeks in advance, as they all sell out!

I've heard of a Tango class in a local pub (in Wandsworth) on Tuesdays, I haven't plucked up the nerve to go yet, but I know the beer's good!

And for WCS there are also the classes in Esher on Monday's, run by Ceroc Surrey.

Greg

David Bailey
15th-January-2007, 04:38 PM
I've created a "list of AT classes" thread here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11142) - hopefully this will be useful.

Msfab
15th-January-2007, 04:59 PM
This (http://www.danceweb.co.uk/net/ui/f1.aspx?ds=8&et=&dt=0&li=0&ls=0&lf=0&sv=&ra=dance&g0=6) is where Ive found some of the classes Ive tried.

Ballroom queen
15th-January-2007, 09:38 PM
I want to start doing more classes in other (i.e. not Ceroc) dance styles e.g. Ballroom,

Kensington dance studio - at the polish club - google it for more detail,
also Anton du beke at Expressions in kentish town - again ask google, but too many women go there!

good luck

frodo
15th-January-2007, 11:48 PM
I want to start doing more classes in other (i.e. not Ceroc) dance styles e.g. Ballroom, Tango, west-coast swing, street-dance. I know of a few classes that I've heard are good, but was wondering if people could enlighten me on what the options are in London...
The Monday night Ballroom & Latin classes at Chiswick Town hall, were for me just about the most useful/worthwhile classes I've ever attended, well worth the journey.

Haven't been in about a year so not sure that they're like now.

Ballroom Queen originally pointed them out in earlier threads, and may well have a reason not to have them on her list now.

The website has which dances they're teaching on which days.

http://www.hannesamy.com/

Miguel
16th-January-2007, 12:20 AM

I chose the Ballroom/Latin path (IDTA) for the interesting variety. You learn waltz, tango, quickstep, foxtrot, cha-cha, rumba, samba and jive. Plus some club dances like merengue, salsa and mambo. Evening group classes £4/£5 or private classes which aren't hugely expensive - £22/£24 an hour. Plus all important freestyle evenings. The school is in Wimbledon: http://www.acwdancestudio.com/sb/Displaycompany.do?p=homepage&id=SB0001508178000060

Hope this helps, Mike.

Seahorse
16th-January-2007, 02:44 PM
also Anton du beke at Expressions in kentish town - again ask google, but too many women go there!

...too many - two to three women to every man... and with it being a small studio, it can get very cramped. The moves are routine based - i.e learning set moves over and over again. In it's defense, Anton is good fun and teaches well.