PDA

View Full Version : How do I make the quotes used Bold

nessie2611
21st-June-2003, 12:23 PM
I seem to have a problem when I use a quote from another person. Everyone else seems to be able to use a quote that is in BOLD and under lined and also be able to use multiple quotes in the one reply. Am I thick? :confused: I don't seem to be able to work out how to do this. :tears:

Any advice :sorry

Nessie

DavidY
22nd-June-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by nessie2611
I seem to have a problem when I use a quote from another person. Everyone else seems to be able to use a quote that is in BOLD and under lined and also be able to use multiple quotes in the one reply. Am I thick? :confused: I don't seem to be able to work out how to do this. :tears:

Any advice :sorry

Nessie

Dear Nessie,

I'm pretty sure others have explained this elsewhere (probably better than I'm about to) but I'll have a go anyway:

The secret is in those words in the square brackets (like [this]), which are called tags, which are instructions to the forum software to tell it how to format text, indent it as a quote, change colour, etc.

There are 2 types of tag - one tells the forum where to start the formatting, and another tells it where to end the formatting. The end tags are like the start tag, but have an extra '/'. Every start tag eg. has to have a corresponding 'partner' end tag eg. .

If a tag doesn't have a partner, it doesn't do anything, so start tags on their own don't format anything (and just look lost at the top of a message). For example If you accidentally delete the [/B] tags at the end of a quote, it will lose the bold formatting and there will be a spare at the top of the message.

To add a quote, you can use
, then put your text in, then use to end it.

If you want it to be in bold, use
[B] and then end it with

Other tags you can use (eg. for italics, change font etc.) are listed on the forum's vb help page here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/misc.php?action=bbcode#buttons)

Personally, if I want to do multiple quotes, I use the Quote button on the post I'm replying to, which puts the whole previous message into a quote. I then add pairs of
and tags thoughout the message to split it up, and type my text in between.

If you don't fancy typing all those tags in when writing a post, you can use the various buttons in the vb Code section of the screen (just above the box you type the text into) which can add tags as you go along. However these buttons always add tags to the end of the message, which can be annoying..

Hope this helps a little,
David

nessie2611
22nd-June-2003, 12:31 PM
Thanks for that Dave, I'll give it a go

Is this the sort of thing you mean

I obviously missed the post that explained it before

When I actually looked at the vb code area it made perfect sense :sorry

Again many thanks Nessie

DavidY
22nd-June-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by nessie2611
Thanks for that Dave, I'll give it a go

Is this the sort of thing you mean

When I actually looked at the vb code area it made perfect sense :sorry

Again many thanks Nessie No problem - glad to be of help

I obviously missed the post that explained it beforeThis isn't surprising - I don't think they're in the most obvious places. For example there are some explanations tucked away in the crime saga that is Death By Chocolate - but it's hardly the first place you'd look.

David

PS will try and find you for a dance next time I'm at Wythall/ Solihull etc. I've been to Wythall a couple of times before but the next freestyle there clashes with a Leicester one. Decisions, decisions...

jivecat
26th-November-2003, 06:11 PM
Nessie, I have every sympathy with you. At the risk of appearing even thicker, I'm still wondering why my computer has got round bracket keys, but no square ones. Duh!

jivecat
26th-November-2003, 06:21 PM
[olour=deep pink]When I actually looked at the vb code it made perfect sense. [color]

Let's see if it works for me.

jivecat
26th-November-2003, 06:24 PM
When I actually looked at the vb code area it made perfect sense.

Last try.

jivecat
26th-November-2003, 06:25 PM
Yay!