PDA

View Full Version : Help! - Saturday 20th January: Herts?

JiveLad
10th-January-2007, 05:58 PM
A friend is visiting on this day - (to go dancing) - and I have been extolling the virtues of the St. Albans location and the multiplicity of venues within 30 mins.

.....However, when it comes to Jan 20th it looks a bit sparse - like Guildford is the nearest at about 50 mins (nothing to the likes of Fletch I know).......but closer would be better

I tried to suggest to Jilly at Berko that it could be a good night for business - nothin doing yet there. (Saturday freestyles at Berko are always great in my experience).

Has anyone got any other ideas (or insider knowledge)?

Is there a reason why there seem to be so few venues with freestyles on Saturday? From a business perspective surely it will be the optimum night: no teachers to pay/taxis to organise. Likely to be more business/more drinks etc.....and you can charge more.......??!!

TheTramp
10th-January-2007, 06:53 PM
Nothing on that night in Scotland either. At least there's the tea dance on the 21st in Aberdeen to look forward to....

Wonder what's on at the cinema! :rolleyes:

fletch
10th-January-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm going to Chester :na:

:D

Minnie M
10th-January-2007, 09:15 PM
.....However, when it comes to Jan 20th it looks a bit sparse - like Guildford is the nearest at about 50 mins (nothing to the likes of Fletch I know).......but closer would be better..........

I think Ashtead is closer (although not much closer) but Sheepman :worthy: is DJ'ing so worth the trip :yeah:

The Rivoli is on too - but it would take you as long to get there as it is South London

OR /and ......... you could spend your day giving out free hugs :flower:

under par
10th-January-2007, 09:33 PM
I am so glad Mrs Par's works do at the local Hilton hotel is on 20th Jan..:clap:

I don't feel so aggrieved at missing a nights dancing now!:tears: :tears:

Sheepman
11th-January-2007, 02:10 AM
I think Ashtead is closer (although not much closer) but Sheepman :worthy: is DJ'ing so worth the trip

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lynda!
But unless you know something I don't, I'm not DJing there on the 20th January. Currently it's a night off for me. (As I'll be DJing in Oxford on Friday 19th, and then WCS at the Putney Club on Sunday 21st.)

Maybe you're confused with the 10th February? The Valentine's Ball at Ashtead, when I'll be DJing the WCS room.
But if Colin has told you something that he forgot to mention to me, please let me know!

Greg

JiveLad
11th-January-2007, 02:36 PM
Well......at Stevenage last night, they announced that January 20th they would have a Freestyle. I screamed out "Yeeesss!" and a few people looked at me.

So the only question now is: is the pull of one of the other venues: Guildford/Ashtead greter than Stevenage?

Anybody been to all 3??

Any views on venue/music (in addition to previous DJ comments)?

Bluey
12th-January-2007, 04:27 AM
Well..... January 20th
So the only question now is: is the pull of one of the other venues: Guildford/Ashtead greter than Stevenage?

Anybody been to all 3??

Any views on venue/music (in addition to previous DJ comments)?

Ashtead LeRoc normally get 200 dancers from all over, theres some I know that even come up from Southampton, one makes it up from Exeter each time, good dancers seem to come from all over too.

I think they have been there since 2002. Its got an established Blues. Swing/ WCS room there plus a big Modern Jive main hall. Friendly reputation, sprung dance floors, great music is played by djs Colin, John, Alex , Greg too. Even has a cheap bar, gives out free tea, coffee and cake towards end of night, has free car park along side hall. Plus they have mega big fans all over the place plus the halls ones. Real cool place even on a hot night!! Even got a third hall for chiiling out in!!

Plus they get some big names there too. I see Greg(Sheepman) is there at the LeRoc Valentine Ball playing WCS in 2nd hall on 10th Feb (I checked, no Greg you are not there on 20th). They have billed Darren & Lana from Strictly Fever teaching WCS and then Cabaret show in evening. So Greg and great WCS too!!
Hope that was enough I can tell you about that venue & music, sure others could say more, it had cracking recent christmas party. Any one elses got any views?