PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to Utopia on Friday?

Cruella
10th-January-2007, 01:49 PM
So who was lucky enough to get booked up before it sold out? I want to know who i am going to get UCP with. :D
For those who have been on Mars lately and haven't heard of it, look here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10859&highlight=utopia)and here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10686&highlight=utopia)

Gav
10th-January-2007, 01:52 PM
I got my booking really early! :clap:

and I had to cancel it 'cos now I can't go. :tears: :tears: :tears:

Little Em
10th-January-2007, 01:55 PM
looks like its me and you then?
:wink:

fletch
10th-January-2007, 01:58 PM
i'll be there :clap:

carn't weight :cheers:

jammy
10th-January-2007, 02:01 PM
ill be there now!:grin:

and happy to hear as i know there is going to be a lot of people there who understand me when i talk.

hehe

David Bailey
10th-January-2007, 02:03 PM
So who was lucky enough to get booked up before it sold out? I want to know who i am going to get UCP with. :D
Is one dependent on the other then? :na:

HelenB
10th-January-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm going :clap:

Managed to plan a meeting in London for the same day so work can pay for my travel :D

I'll be turning up on my own though (and don't know too many fellow forumites at the moment :blush: ) so please feel free to ask me for a dance :flower:

mikeyr
10th-January-2007, 04:08 PM
I'll be there....:cool:

fletch
10th-January-2007, 04:14 PM
I'll be there....:cool:

yearrrrrrrrr :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have missed you mikeyr :flower:

how was the skiing :confused: I hope you didn't 'pull' anything while you were away:whistle: we need you fit and ready to dance :wink:

:D

under par
10th-January-2007, 05:14 PM
Mrs Par and I will be in attendance .... really are looking forward good night... staying in local Travelodge too.:yeah:

Dizzy
10th-January-2007, 05:22 PM
I didn't manage to book in time :tears:. (Really living up to my name recently!! :blush: )

If anyone knows of a spare female ticket, please let me know :flower:.

Zebra Woman
10th-January-2007, 05:27 PM
I hear the dance floor at the Winning Post may be a little bit slow.

So I will be there with a collection of my slippiest shoes...

See you all there! :grin: :clap: :cheers:

ZW

David Bailey
10th-January-2007, 05:31 PM
I hear the dance floor at the Winning Post may be a little bit slow.

So I will be there with a collection of my slippiest shoes...

Better not bring any White Powder or the Floor Police will get you :wink: :eek:

Zebra Woman
10th-January-2007, 05:46 PM
Better not bring any White Powder or the Floor Police will get you :wink: :eek:

Hang on! Are you expressing an opinion about an event you're not actually intending to attend David? :rolleyes:

No need to bring your own, I think the floor police will be administering the white power. :wink:

Cruella
10th-January-2007, 05:49 PM
No need to bring your own, I think the floor police will be administering the white power. :wink:

Cool, it saves me having to contact my dealer!

Minnie M
10th-January-2007, 05:51 PM
I hear the dance floor at the Winning Post may be a little bit slow........
:confused: it was fine when I was there last month - not a fast floor, but certainly not sticky

Rocky
10th-January-2007, 06:39 PM
:confused: it was fine when I was there last month - not a fast floor, but certainly not sticky

Actually Minnie is right - it's not a sticky floor generally, but it's not the fastest floor either. They are however, completely re-doing the floor in April and up until then we will have no other option but to talc it up like a baby's bottom!

Cruella
10th-January-2007, 06:41 PM
we will have no other option but to talc it up like a baby's bottom!

Well make sure you use Johnsons then! :drool: (I love the smell.)

fletch
10th-January-2007, 06:49 PM
we will have no other option but to talc it up like a baby's bottom!

I was going to wear black :sick: just hope i don't get droped :na:

will there be room to slide :confused: I have visions of the Hipperdrome :what:

foxylady
10th-January-2007, 08:16 PM
I'll be there and am hoping for lots of UCP action to help me forget I am a year older...

TheTramp
10th-January-2007, 08:18 PM
Wish I could make it. Maybe later in the year!

Hope it all goes well though :D

Tessalicious
10th-January-2007, 09:05 PM
Where's the option for 'Don't really fancy it, not my thing, but I'll be there anyway...'?

:whistle:

Cruella
10th-January-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm planning to get to the venue early with Jive P. We are going to have a meal downstairs in the pub restaurant. Anyone fancy joining us? Probably around 6 - 6.30 ish

Minnie M
10th-January-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm planning to get to the venue early with Jive P. We are going to have a meal downstairs in the pub restaurant. Anyone fancy joining us? Probably around 6 - 6.30 ish

Next door actually :wink:

I recommend the food - have often eaten there, they have a good carvery (plus their turkey baguettes (sp?)are very very yummy:drool: )

By the way, if you can't get in the car park there is street parking at the back of the building.

WittyBird
10th-January-2007, 10:42 PM
Probably around 6 - 6.30 ish

Can't get there that early don't finish work until 5.30 in Watford

Andy McGregor
10th-January-2007, 11:07 PM
Can't get there that early don't finish work until 5.30 in WatfordPull a sickie :devil:

drathzel
11th-January-2007, 01:00 AM
Where is the i might be if i can get there option? I am possibly going If that spare place that was offered to me is there:D

SuzyQ
11th-January-2007, 01:03 AM
I didn't manage to book in time :tears:. (Really living up to my name recently!! :blush: )

If anyone knows of a spare female ticket, please let me know :flower:.

Me too ... if there are 2 spare female tickets I'll take the second (dream on!)

tiger
11th-January-2007, 01:31 AM
Im surprised there is a thread about this. Surely it will be the usual suspects from the various blues room venues. You all know each other dont you?:wink:

TheTramp
11th-January-2007, 01:54 AM
Nah. I hardly know anyone... :blush:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2007, 08:56 AM
Nah. I hardly know anyone... :blush:Who are you? Never heard of you :confused:

Frankie_4711
11th-January-2007, 08:59 AM
Gentabout and I will be there. Really looking forward to it.:clap:

under par
11th-January-2007, 09:12 AM
Who are you? Never heard of you :confused:

Yes Andy :yeah: the cheek of these beginners these days:wink: ... just don't know there place do they:whistle:

fletch
11th-January-2007, 09:19 AM
Can't get there that early don't finish work until 5.30 in Watford

weight for meeeeeeeeeeeeeee :tears: i bringing pizza for later :drool:

Pull a sickie :devil:

oooooi you stop it,:mad: i'll be on my own if Witty goes early :hug:

You all know each other dont you?:wink:

do i know you tiger :confused: will you be with us :flower:

Nah. I hardly know anyone... :blush:

well you need to travel a bit more :na: you might get to meet people :na:

Who are you? Never heard of you :confused:

I think he is a newbie, be nice :flower:

I have heard he is OK for a begginer :rofl:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2007, 09:21 AM
I have heard he is OK for a beginner :rofl:And very attractive :sick:

David Bailey
11th-January-2007, 09:21 AM
Hang on! Are you expressing an opinion about an event you're not actually intending to attend David? :rolleyes:
Nope.

Where's the option for 'Don't really fancy it, not my thing, but I'll be there anyway...'?
Well if you insist. ;)

Cruella
11th-January-2007, 09:26 AM
Well if you insist. ;)

Umm, I'm writing to Franck about your misuse of power! It now looks like I used sarcasm when making my poll when i would never do such a thing!!
I'm going to get you an infraction!

Gentabout
11th-January-2007, 11:01 AM
Gentabout and I will be there. Really looking forward to it.:clap:

:yeah: :hug:

Mary
11th-January-2007, 11:43 AM
We are sooooo out of touch I only heard about this a few days ago from Silver Fox. Sounds like it should be a good event and tickets have sold out. Way to go Vince, Dave & Val, it promises to be a storming opening night. :respect:

M

MartinHarper
11th-January-2007, 06:09 PM
(slightly off-topic, but) Regarding Utopia Evesham, talking to various people at Ceroc-Wythall, Ceroc-Worcester, CDC-Bromsgrove, even Lindy-Staverton, the question seems more to be "who isn't going to Utopia?".

OXO'S
11th-January-2007, 06:15 PM
See you there guys.Black a white ali??:grin:

SuzyQ
11th-January-2007, 06:18 PM
(slightly off-topic, but) Regarding Utopia Evesham, talking to various people at Ceroc-Wythall, Ceroc-Worcester, CDC-Bromsgrove, even Lindy-Staverton, the question seems more to be "who isn't going to Utopia?".

Rub it in!!!

Missy D
11th-January-2007, 06:36 PM
Still cant decide whether to go or not:confused:

Rhythm King
11th-January-2007, 06:39 PM
Rub it in!!!
:yeah: I was abroad when it was announced and missed the chance. Might be away for the next one too :sad:

Still cant decide whether to go or not:confused:

You have a ticket and don't want to use it? :eek:

Missy D
11th-January-2007, 06:43 PM
:yeah: I was abroad when it was announced and missed the chance. Might be away for the next one too :sad:

You have a ticket and don't want to use it? :eek:

I have discovered life outside Ceroc. Having lots of fun in other dancing! Decisions! decisions!

fletch
11th-January-2007, 07:18 PM

i'm going to Evesham Martin, save me a dance or three
:clap:

WittyBird
11th-January-2007, 07:51 PM
i'm going to Evesham Martin, save me a dance or three
:clap:

:yeah: don't forget little me :grin:

fletch
11th-January-2007, 08:03 PM
:yeah: don't forget little me :grin:

are you coming :clap:

Zebra Woman
11th-January-2007, 09:34 PM
See you there guys.Black a white ali??:grin:

As it's such a special occasion, yes. I will be in black and white. :D

Save me some dances OXO. :hug:

ZW

Achelous
11th-January-2007, 10:05 PM
Regarding Utopia Evesham, talking to various people at Ceroc-Wythall, Ceroc-Worcester, CDC-Bromsgrove, even Lindy-Staverton, the question seems more to be "who isn't going to Utopia?".

Can anyone help with what to expect? The website sort of implies it is "elite/hotshot" only sort of event - well it sort of gives that vibe. My partner wants to go to the Evesham one which you don't need tickets for -she's a far better dancer than me and can hold her own with the hotshots. I'm much more pedestrian and I've only done a beginners blues workshop. Should I refuse to go?:confused:

Gav
11th-January-2007, 10:15 PM
Should I refuse to go?:confused:

wow, refusing to even turn up! Does that make you a super hotshot? :D

David Bailey
11th-January-2007, 11:16 PM
Can anyone help with what to expect? The website sort of implies it is "elite/hotshot" only sort of event - well it sort of gives that vibe.
Possibly - well, obviously, it does, as that's how you feel about it.

It may be worth PM-ing Rocky or SilverFox, however, to see if there's anything specific that makes you feel unwelcome - "gives that vibe" is a bit vague...

My partner wants to go to the Evesham one which you don't need tickets for -she's a far better dancer than me and can hold her own with the hotshots. I'm much more pedestrian and I've only done a beginners blues workshop. Should I refuse to go?:confused:

If you want to go, then go.
If you don't want to go, then don't go.

To paraphrase Yoda, "There is no 'should'!"

It's supposed to be fun; if you don't fancy it, don't go. Simple.

And one more thing - hotshots aren't good dancers, they just think they are. Most hotshots don't progress to be good dancers - the really good dancers dance with everyone.

Rocky
11th-January-2007, 11:51 PM
Can anyone help with what to expect? The website sort of implies it is "elite/hotshot" only sort of event - well it sort of gives that vibe. My partner wants to go to the Evesham one which you don't need tickets for -she's a far better dancer than me and can hold her own with the hotshots. I'm much more pedestrian and I've only done a beginners blues workshop. Should I refuse to go?:confused:

I'm sorry that you got the impression from the website that it may be elitist - we obviously failed misreably as that is not what we were trying to convey!:blush:

The idea of the guest list etc. (for Twickers only because of the limited capacity) is to have about half seasoned blues dancers and also around half for people who love the music and/or who want to learn more about slower dancing.

Our hope is that the mix of inspirational dancers and newcomers will inspire people and encourage more dancers into the chill out scene - that's why we are running a class at the beginning of every evening.

I do sympathize though, I know it can be daunting - but the only way to learn is to jump in with both feet and commit to really giving it a go. Like all things worthwhile, learning to adapt your style of dance is difficult but it is very rewarding - it also helps to improve your normal MJ dancing as you learn to listen to the music more and this will therefore help you to start to interpret all types of music.

The great thing about blues style is actually the guy doesn't have to be a great dancer to look good! (Especially if your partner is a good dancer). You just have to learn to give the lady some space and time and she will play around with the music and make you look like a star - it works for me!

It's not an overnight process though and does take some commitment - please try Evesham, 'cos you won't know until you go. If you do, come and say hello, Vince and I will also be Djing on Evesham's opening night and I would be happy to chat more with you if you want to.

WittyBird
12th-January-2007, 12:00 AM
I will also be Djing on Evesham's opening night and I would be happy to chat more with you if you want to.

Oooh yes please :D Can we chat about anything? :whistle: Infact you and Vince can chat about nothing and I'll speak about the important stuff with your missus :rofl:

MartinHarper
12th-January-2007, 01:04 AM
Can anyone help with what to expect? The website sort of implies it is "elite/hotshot" only sort of event - well it sort of gives that vibe.

Judging from the people who I've spoken to who've said they're going, I'm expecting the average standard to be above that of a standard Ceroc night, but certainly not "on another level". I also don't expect the place to be packed full of seasoned blues dancers: I know several people who don't have much blues experience who are thinking of attending for a change of pace, and just to see what it's like.

drathzel
12th-January-2007, 01:18 AM
i cant go:tears: Jake is going to be in brighton and wont be back til 10. So i cant get there or back. I'll just have to either find something local or relax in the hotel and watch dvd's!

does any one know of anything going on in central london tonight night?

frodo
12th-January-2007, 01:42 AM
I'm sorry that you got the impression from the website that it may be elitist - we obviously failed misreably as that is not what we were trying to convey!:blush:

The idea of the guest list etc. (for Twickers only because of the limited capacity) is to have about half seasoned blues dancers and also around half for people who love the music and/or who want to learn more about slower dancing.

Our hope is that the mix of inspirational dancers and newcomers will inspire people and encourage more dancers into the chill out scene - that's why we are running a class at the beginning of every evening.

I don't think the website makes it look particularly elitist - I thought the focus was more on the music, and the mention of a class certainly makes it much more accessible (doesn't mention class time or rough duration though). Based on the website I really liked the look of it.

The guest list thing does look very elitist, and was for me a definitive reason to avoid it, but I didn't learn about that from the web site.

frodo
12th-January-2007, 01:50 AM
i cant go:tears: Jake is going to be in brighton and wont be back til 10. So i cant get there or back. I'll just have to either find something local or relax in the hotel and watch dvd's!

There is obviously normal nights in/around London (except Twyford).

If you're staying in London within the Travelcard sort of area I'd be surprised if Twickenham was unreachable.

Minnie M
12th-January-2007, 08:43 AM

Want a lift ?

David Bailey
12th-January-2007, 09:45 AM
You shouldn't have put that "hotshots only" caveat thing on the front page, I knew it'd cause trouble :na:

fletch
12th-January-2007, 10:26 AM
[

And one more thing - hotshots aren't good dancers, they just think they are. Most hotshots don't progress to be good dancers - the really good dancers dance with everyone.

:yeah:

I almost rept you for this :worthy: I didn't want to waste my vote though:na:

Achelous,

I suspect Evesham will be similar the 'Pulse' thing in Kidderminster, it was fab, not intimidating at all.:flower:

come and please dance with me,:hug: I dance with everyone,:clap: well I try to, and if a move doesn't work well what the hec, no one watching anyway, there to busy doing there own thing,:rolleyes: and if they are, well we are the ones dancing and having a go,:na: do you watch people and think, gosh there rubbish,:eek: NO,:flower: and no one is doing it to you,:hug: if I find someone that's a bit different with a strange quirky style, all the better,:worthy: it makes it fun and I will have a go at anything. :yeah:

Lou
12th-January-2007, 10:39 AM
I dance with everyone,:clap:
True - you even danced with me once - and a fab dance it was too.
:clap: I'm still planning to get to the Evesham one, so hope to get some lovely dances in... :D

fletch
12th-January-2007, 11:25 AM
True - you even danced with me once - and a fab dance it was too.
:D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

did we :flower: I bet I asked you :na:

where ? did I know it was you?

I hope we dance at Evesham :hug:

TheTramp
12th-January-2007, 11:56 AM

If you're staying in London within the Travelcard sort of area I'd be surprised if Twickenham was unreachable.

Twickenham is hardly the ends of the earth from Central London. Especially if Jake can pick you up afterwards - why can't you get back if he's home by 10? :na:

Lou
12th-January-2007, 12:27 PM

:rofl: I asked you, yer muppet! At Breeze. :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl::rofl::flower:

fletch
12th-January-2007, 01:20 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I hope we dance at Evesham :hug:

well?

:rofl: I asked you, yer muppet! At Breeze. :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl::rofl::flower:

:tears:

:wink: :na:

drathzel
12th-January-2007, 04:47 PM

Twickenham is hardly the ends of the earth from Central London. Especially if Jake can pick you up afterwards - why can't you get back if he's home by 10? :na:

cuz he has been up since about 5 am and the last thing he wants to do it trek across london to pick up his girlfriend from a fun night out that he would have missed. Not that he is into blues and the like, he much prefers the upbeat pop-y stuff :rolleyes:

I have had two lovely kind offers thank you but i am going to opt for going to the casbah for an hour then spending the rest of my energy on my darling boyfriend.

:clap: :devil: :innocent: :blush:

Missy D
12th-January-2007, 06:53 PM
everyone[/B].

I know some hotshots that have won competitions so does that mean they are crap dancers and are good friends with the judges?:whistle:

I shall be coming tonight be coming along to Utopia tonight:clap:

Achelous
12th-January-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm sorry that you got the impression from the website that it may be elitist - we obviously failed misreably as that is not what we were trying to convey

Sorry - I didn't really mean to criticise the website - in fact it is unusual because it looks so professional - often ceroc or MJ sites appear pretty homespun (not cerocscotland obviously) - but this one looks as if was done by a webdesigner or someone who knows something about design - of course that just reinforced my fear that it would be an elite event - you just can't win.

Anyway I've been told I'm going!

fletch
13th-January-2007, 04:43 AM

Anyway I've been told I'm going!

ooo goodie us girls like a man that nows his place.:flower:

save me loads of dances, babes. UCP :yum:

WittyBird
13th-January-2007, 06:51 AM
ooo goodie us girls like a man that nows his place.:flower:

save me loads of dances, babes. UCP :yum:

:yeah: save me a dance too please :D

fletch
14th-January-2007, 12:40 PM
Can we add this Friday to the Poll please :flower:

Cruella
14th-January-2007, 01:07 PM
Photos from the night are here http://www.danceportraits.co.uk/gallery2/v/utopia

David Bailey
14th-January-2007, 01:07 PM
Can we add this Friday to the Poll please :flower:
I think it's probably best to start a new thread, otherwise it'll get very confusing.

And yes, I know, I should be shot for suggesting it - but this is David-as-Moderator speaking, not David-as-person. :)

David Bailey
14th-January-2007, 01:10 PM
Photos from the night are here http://www.danceportraits.co.uk/gallery2/v/utopia

Blimey, it's "Beer Kareoke" (http://www.danceportraits.co.uk/gallery2/v/utopia/20070112_0033.jpg.html) :)