PDA

View Full Version : Clubs, bars and restaurants where you can dance

Spin dryer
10th-January-2007, 01:17 AM
I thought I'd start this thread so we can share our knowledge of non dedicated dance venues where it is possible to dance.

Last Saturday I was at the Pigalle Club on Piccadilly. http://www.vpmg.net/pigalle/
They regularly have swing bands on such as The Jive Aces and King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys.

Other venues in London where you can dance include the 100 Club on Oxford Street http://www.the100club.co.uk/ and the Dover Street Wine Bar in Mayfair http://www.doverst.co.uk/.

Any other suggestions?

Sheepman
10th-January-2007, 02:10 AM
Here's a wine bar that has music every Friday & Saturday night suitable for MJ/WCS/Blues, from 9:30 to 3 a.m. (if there are enough people left at that time.) Free entry.
"Blues, smooth swing and a touch of Latin at the TBA WINE BAR, rear of 21 Cornmarket, THAME, Oxfordshire, OX9 2BL"
The floor's not perfect, a bit sticky, but there's decent space for a few jiving couples.

How do I know this? 'Cos I'm DJing there in a couple of weeks :whistle: (26th January.)
It would be good to see some non muggles on the floor, but be prepared, it is a smoking venue.

There's also the "Ain't Nothin' But The Blues" bar, not far from Oxford Circus, with blues bands playing into the not so small hours. I've never been, but I'm told it's tiny, so dancing is restricted to bluesing.

Greg

Tessalicious
10th-January-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm told it's tiny, so dancing is restricted to bluesing.Shame. I can't imagine why you're bothering to tell us lot about it then... :whistle:

fletch
10th-January-2007, 09:59 AM
Here's a wine bar that has music every Friday & Saturday night suitable for MJ/WCS/Blues, from 9:30 to 3 a.m. (if there are enough people left at that time.) Free entry.
"Blues, smooth swing and a touch of Latin at the TBA WINE BAR, rear of 21 Cornmarket, THAME, Oxfordshire, OX9 2BL"

How do I know this? 'Cos I'm DJing there in a couple of weeks :whistle: (26th January.)
It would be good to see some non muggles on the floor,

There's also the "Ain't Nothin' But The Blues" bar, not far from Oxford Circus, with blues bands playing into the not so small hours. I've never been, but I'm told it's tiny, so dancing is restricted to bluesing.

Greg

I have Bedford corn exchange down for the 26th, I don't think they are that far from each other? do you think I could get to both, what time is your set?

:flower:

ducasi
10th-January-2007, 10:05 AM
I've never been to a club where it wasn't possible to dance, though I guess it depends on how crowded it is... I was dancing in Tiger Tiger's club in Glasgow last week.

Likewise, lots of pubs play danceable music and have dance floors, or somewhere suitable for dancing. Last Thursday I went with a bunch of folks after the Rutherglen Ceroc night to a nearby pub, where there was a wooden floor and a DJ playing good music. We danced there until midnight.

OK, so usually for these options you've got to like dancing to pop and "dance" music, but what do you expect in a club or bar?

I've never seen a restaurant where dancing would be a good idea.

Adrian (DJ)
11th-January-2007, 01:05 AM
We might be hosting a Gotan Project gig in April, so I suppose for one night only, Snafu in Aberdeen will be suitable for MJ dancing.

Sheepman
11th-January-2007, 01:59 AM
I have Bedford corn exchange down for the 26th, I don't think they are that far from each other? do you think I could get to both, what time is your set?
Hmm, 44 miles apart, I'll be playing from 9:30 till I'm told to stop (maybe at 3 a.m.?) So if you were really thinking of doing it, best call me when you leave in case it's a quiet night leading to an early finish.

Greg

TheTramp
11th-January-2007, 02:13 AM
but be prepared, it is a smoking venue.

Yeah. You English people are so uncivilised.....

Lee Bartholomew
11th-January-2007, 07:20 PM
Nigh on any nightclub that is playing decent music.

It's amazing how may people will ask you to dance with them in nightclubs. Great for pulling.

Sheepman
22nd-January-2007, 03:52 PM
You English people are so uncivilised..... No, it's 'cos we're more civilised, so we procrastinate longer before changing the status quo...:whistle:

Greg