PDA

View Full Version : PCMCIA cards

Clive Long
8th-January-2007, 10:41 AM
Anyone?

I have two PCMCIA wifi cards. One is 11b, NetGear, that works in "old" IBM T21 laptop and "newer" "noname" laptop. The other card is a 3COM 11g that is "seen" by the "old IBM T21" but is "not seen" by the newer laptop. There is a (perhaps significant, perhaps not) difference between the cards in that the 3COM 11g card has a metallic (brass?) strip just above the "Connector" end of the card.

When I write "seen" by the newer laptop, when I physically insert the 11b PCMCIA card in the new laptop, it is detected by Fedora and appears as device eth1 (eth0 is the in-built "on-board", UTP, NIC). When I insert the 3Com 11g card, the device is not detected as eth1.

I have read some vague references to "newer" PCMCIA formats but I would have thought that the newer laptop would have no problems "seeing" any PCMCIA cards that can be seen by the older IBM T21.

Any ideas why the newer laptop cannot "see" the 3COM 11G card?

Clive

David Bailey
8th-January-2007, 11:07 AM
We should rename this area the Clive Long Support Forum... :na:

Trousers
8th-January-2007, 12:15 PM
Or maybe more accurately the Clive Long No Support Forum..

ducasi
8th-January-2007, 12:27 PM
PC cards with bumps along the connector plate (the brass plate) are 32 bit. Those without are 16 bit.

What is the old laptop running as an OS? Perhaps Fedora doesn't have compatible drivers for the 11g card?

Clive Long
8th-January-2007, 01:50 PM
We should rename this area the Clive Long Support Forum... :na:
He needs all the help he can get.

Alternatively, consider it a free education service.

David Bailey
8th-January-2007, 02:05 PM
Alternatively, consider it a free education service.
Coming soon to a TV channel near you: "What Not To Geek"... :na:

Clive Long
8th-January-2007, 03:56 PM
Coming soon to a TV channel near you: "What Not To Geek"... :na:

Ooooh ... that reminds me ... has anyone used a Freecom Digital TV DVB-T USB Stick Freeview receiver under Linux?