PDA

View Full Version : Dance Shoes

StokeBloke
5th-January-2007, 10:26 AM
Being a lucky bloke I was given a pair of dance shoes for Christmas. This has made me a little more aware of people who do and don't wear dance shoes - although some are indistinguishable from regular shoes. It seems to me that far more girls wear them than guys. As curious minds need answers, I thought I would start a poll to find out :wink:

Do you regularly wear dance shoes?

Juju
5th-January-2007, 10:31 AM
I think you need to add a poll at the top.

You could ask the moderators to edit one in for you maybe?

... and as if by magic!

Gav
5th-January-2007, 10:45 AM
I was lucky when I found a bloke who went out and bought all the gear, then tried ceroc and didn't like it. Hey presto a new pair of Bloch's for £5! (I don't know if he knew that his wife was only asking a fiver for them).

Lynn
5th-January-2007, 11:45 AM
It took me about 8 months of dancing to get my first pair of dance shoes - but wow! First pair were trainers. A few months later strappy suede soled sandals. The difference they made to my dancing and how I felt about my dancing was great.

I rarely dancing in anything but dance shoes now. I wore street shoes a few times at some local (non MJ) venues 'cos the floor was too dirty (think spilt beer, broken glass etc) and it felt horrible, my knees started to ache etc.

I went to a wedding party a while back and got up to dance at first in my gold, strappy, but very comfortable, party shoes. Ugh! Very quickly changed into my gold, strappy, dance shoes!

But then again, I really love dance shoes. I get a lot of joy out of owning and wearing them, so any excuse really.

Groovemeister
5th-January-2007, 11:48 AM
Very personal taste dance shoe's. I didn't wear dance shoes for a long time and only wore trainer's. I have had shoes that I danced in before but they were just normal shoes that I liked the syle of and felt good when I danced in them.

I would never wear dance trainers either as I am a bit of trainer freak and really don't like there styling.

The main reason I wouldn't buy dance shoes in the past is because of there general styling especially as I normally wear jeans when I am dancing. I really didn't see anything I thought would look good.

I eventually found 2 pairs I like though a pair of freed ballroom training shoes which are great for flat floors and a pair of Aris Allen swing shoes. My best dance shoes are my Tap shoes though (Miller and Ben).

I would recommend getting the right shoes to anyone but feeling comfortable and relaxed in them is what it is all about it's no good buying something that you feel self-concious about when wearing them.:)

Shodan
5th-January-2007, 11:49 AM
When I started dancing I danced in my normal trainers and thought nothing of it. But then I came across Blochs and bought a pair. They go with me to every dance now - I find I can't dance as well and my feet end up with blisters and hurt like mad if I try dancing in my trainers again.

If ever I forget my dance shoes, I dance in my socks instead as its way more comfy. Amuses everyone on the dancefloor too. :rofl:

TA Guy
5th-January-2007, 11:57 AM
I never had a use for dedicated dance shoes since I always found that mens smooth leather soled normal shoes were perfectly fine.
However, I did buy a pair of snazzy black Capezio dance trainers to give them a try a coupla years ago. To be honest, they were not as good, for moving or spinning, as the leather soled shoes. So they remain very lonely under the bed.

I guess it's a personal thing and depends on how you dance etc.

straycat
5th-January-2007, 11:58 AM
If ever I forget my dance shoes, I dance in my socks instead as its way more comfy. Amuses everyone on the dancefloor too. :rofl:

One fine Beach Boogie, I sunburned the tops of my feet on day 1. To the extent that even socks were out of the question... so I did all the lessons, and some freestyling, with bare feet. NOT to be recommended (spinning hurts)... except for the fact that it really really makes you pay a lot of attention to floorcraft...

clevedonboy
5th-January-2007, 12:19 PM
If you were doing a sport you would (I hope) buy appropriate footwear - that's how I see it with dance

Tried dance trainers - didn't like
Supadance ballroom shoes - too little arch support
Rumpf two tones - nice but the leather soles don't suit all floors but always handy for dressy occassions
Heavenly dance shoes - very nice + suede soles = excellent (I use them for latin / ballroom)
Two pairs of Dunlop Green flash (one white pair one black) with suede soles added are my favourites - I've let the suede on these get mucky and polished so they're really slippy (can get too slippy sometimes)

Dai
5th-January-2007, 12:24 PM
Two pairs of Dunlop Green flash (one white pair one black) with suede soles added are my favourites - I've let the suede on these get mucky and polished so they're really slippy (can get too slippy sometimes)

Yes i have done the same with a pair of converse - they are my faves too - took them to camber for their first use, and wow - what a difference they made, they are completely flat - so no more cramps in my arches, and good to spin in!! Comfort meets dance shoe!!

Lynn
5th-January-2007, 12:32 PM
One fine Beach Boogie, I sunburned the tops of my feet on day 1. To the extent that even socks were out of the question... so I did all the lessons, and some freestyling, with bare feet. NOT to be recommended (spinning hurts)... except for the fact that it really really makes you pay a lot of attention to floorcraft...I've danced barefoot very occasionally - usually when I've been asked to dance wearing flip flops. (Dancing in flip flops is not only uncomfortable but I dance on the balls of my feet a lot, imagine someone standing on the loose part of the flip flop while I was wearing it - ouch!). Spinning is out.

Beowulf
5th-January-2007, 12:41 PM
"I am a guy and I DON'T wear dance shoes to dance."

but would like to.. At the moment I dance in the MOST INAPPROPRIATE footwear imaginable, either a pair of tatty old trainers or my equally tatty old dress shoes. Neither of which have a smooth sole and it's either those or my even more inappropriate steel toe capped boots or my "dress" boots ;) :blush:

The problem is I really don't know what to get. I would probably be more comfortable in Dance trainers but then if I was going to something a "bit more posh" then I'd be back to square one as I couldn't really wear my dance trainers with my smart togs. Ideally I should get a pair of shoes AND a pair of trainers but they are so expensive I cannot really justify this at the moment.

Looking at dance shoes I've been scared by the prices but also dismayed by the range available in my shoe size (am a size 11) and I have a very high instep and need quite a broad fit too.

Any suggestions ?

Gav
5th-January-2007, 12:46 PM
Any suggestions ?

Go to a dance shop and try on both trainers and dress shoes to make sure you've got the right size (dance shoe sizes are different to normal shoes).

Then go home and look on eBay. There are often trainers going on there that have barely been worn or brand new dress shoes from the far east at less than £20 and about £10 postage (but do make sure you're getting the right size, measure your foot in mm and everything). I got a pair of dress shoes from eBay from the far east and they appeared to be very good quality and lovely looking, Just a shame I didn't take the time to measure my feet before ordering! :o

MartinHarper
5th-January-2007, 12:54 PM
Any suggestions?

What's wrong with your current shoes? Is it just that they're tatty?

Groovemeister
5th-January-2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.dancestore.com/1aacaptoewide.html

Here's what I bought I have wide feet with a high instep which is why I went for these. They have your size (1/2 size bigger for american to english shoe size) £40 plus £10pp ain't bad for a good quality pair of shoes. The qulaity is superb. Just if the styling is right for you

TurboTomato
5th-January-2007, 02:04 PM
Can't really vote as I dance in both (though not at the same time)

Like a lot of people I started dancing in trainers, and I still do from time to time (I did this wed). I mainly use a pair of smooth, leather soled shoes to dance in now - they're not specifically made dancing shoes, but are most suitable from what I have. Only problem is they tend to get dusty very quickly and so need polishing quite often

SeriouslyAddicted
5th-January-2007, 02:13 PM
I wear both Blochs and dance shoes depending upon whether or not I want to wear a skirt. Psychologically I feel more the part in them than normal shoes or trainers so tend to have a better night. Isn't it funny how bigger a part psychology plays in your physical ability to dance!

Rachel
5th-January-2007, 02:36 PM
I did Ceroc for about 4 years before I got a pair of dance shoes. I don't think it had even occurred to me to get any. Even then, I only got the dance shoes because I had to - my very first Camber weekend the heel broke off the only pair of shoes I had with me. So I bought my first proper, leather-soled dance shoes. And God, what a difference - it was incredible!

I'd absolutely recommend everyone gets proper dance shoes - yes, they are expensive, but so worthwhile and they last for years. I'm still wearing Freed Marisas that I got 4 years ago and use probably 4 or 5 nights a week.

Like Aleks & Heather, I've never been able to wear trainers - either normal or dance ones. My feet feel claustrophobic in any kind of big, laced up, all-enclosing footwear and I just have to get them off. However I do like to wear flat jazz shoes for a change at weekenders, to give me a break from heels.

Love the idea of using tap shoes. I'm sure my ballet teacher used to wear her tap shoes to Ceroc. Without the taps, obviously!

R.

... Psychologically I feel more the part in them than normal shoes or trainers so tend to have a better night. Isn't it funny how bigger a part psychology plays in your physical ability to dance! :yeah:

Lynn
5th-January-2007, 03:00 PM
Psychologically I feel more the part in them than normal shoes or trainers so tend to have a better night. Isn't it funny how bigger a part psychology plays in your physical ability to dance!Yep - how confident you feel plays a bit part in how well you dance. If you feel more confident in dance shoes then you will dance better. If you feel good you will dance better too I think.

Anyone have a comfy, old, 'wear all the time' pair of dance shoes? I have a pair of Marissa (the same as Rachel's) that seem to work well on any floor and are so old and 'my feet shaped' that I end up reaching for them more often than any other pair. I love them so much that when I had the option to buy an identical pair on sale earlier this year I did!

TurboTomato
5th-January-2007, 04:00 PM
Like Aleks & Heather, I've never been able to wear trainers - either normal or dance ones. My feet feel claustrophobic in any kind of big, laced up, all-enclosing footwear and I just have to get them off

The trainers I wear are basically dinky little racing shoes (Puma Speedcats) - great for driving in as they have very thin soles, so you can be very precise with the pedals and you get a lot more feedback than normal shoes (and you can attempt heel and toe-ing in them, which isn't a dance move btw ;) ). They suit dancing well from my experience, for exactly the same reasons :)

Rachel
5th-January-2007, 04:14 PM
The trainers I wear are basically dinky little racing shoes (Puma Speedcats) - great for driving in as they have very thin soles, so you can be very precise with the pedals and you get a lot more feedback than normal shoes (and you can attempt heel and toe-ing in them, which isn't a dance move btw ;) ). They suit dancing well from my experience, for exactly the same reasons :)Sound nice! I always drive barefoot. Like you, I like to feel the pedals. Same with dancing - you have to be able to feel the floor.
R.

Lethe
5th-January-2007, 06:41 PM
When I started ceroc I wore ordinary leather shoes but they had rubber soles so didn't spin very well. I now wear ghillie shoes (Scottish dance shoes bit like ballet shoes) which are much easier to dance in and I can definately feel the floor. However, this week at least 2 people told me that I now spin too fast :blush: so I might have to get some proper dance shoes with a bit more control.

littlewiggle
5th-January-2007, 08:21 PM
Well I now have 10 pairs of dance shoes :blush: and can honestly say I'm not happy with any of them! They feel fine to begin with and I think "oh yes, these are so much better than the ones I bought before" but they never are!

Juju
6th-January-2007, 12:15 PM
Surprised to discover that I'm the only girl so far who doesn't wear dance shoes, whilst 19 have said yes. Interesting.

Lynn
6th-January-2007, 01:38 PM
Surprised to discover that I'm the only girl so far who doesn't wear dance shoes, whilst 19 have said yes. Interesting.Do you have/have you ever had dance shoes but just prefer to wear other shoes?

Several of us on this thread have said that it took us a while to buy our first pair of dance shoes - but once we started wearing dance shoes then didn't go back to wearing other shoes.

In fact once I started buying dance shoes I've hardly bought any other sort of shoes! Like Littlewiggle I have about 10 pairs or so, but I love them all! I'm pretty fussy about shoes and getting them to fit well and be comfortable, maybe that's why I love dance shoes so much.

Baruch
6th-January-2007, 02:08 PM
When I started dancing I just wore leather-soled dress shoes. I got my first pair of dance trainers after about 6 months of dancing. It took a while to get used to them but then they were so comfortable and I used them so much that I pretty much wore them out! I bought another pair last year.

However, for me the best shoes are my Werner Kern dance shoes that I got from Kingdom of Dance last year. Suede-soled (which means a bit of brushing, but it's worth it) and really comfortable, yet giving a good connection with the floor, something you don't really get with dance trainers.

I very rarely dance in anything but my Werner Kerns these days, so I expect I'll wear them out too before long.

Juju
7th-January-2007, 08:49 AM
Do you have/have you ever had dance shoes but just prefer to wear other shoes?

Nope, never had any dance shoes of any description. (Partly it's simply due to lack of storage space! Easier to have shoes with more than one function.) Who knows, I might get round to buying some one day!

Lynn
7th-January-2007, 04:55 PM
Nope, never had any dance shoes of any description. (Partly it's simply due to lack of storage space! Easier to have shoes with more than one function.) Who knows, I might get round to buying some one day!You'll probably find that if you do start wearing dance shoes you'll then always want to wear dance shoes.

They don't take up that much space - well, one pair wouldn't!

Little Monkey
7th-January-2007, 11:04 PM
My absolute all-time favourite dance shoes are my Katz 'jive hoppers' with cuban heels. Got them after doing ceroc for 3 months (but used to dance and wear dance shoes before then). They've got leather soles, so they're fast and great for spinning, they're lace-ups, so they stay securely on the foot, and the heel is just big enough to give my posture a little 'lift', but not so high they wreck my back. Oh, and they're black and white, and scare beginners.:rofl:

I've tried Bloch trainers (I have a pair that Monika gave me for free!), but normally find them too big and lumpy, and too sticky. They did save my life one Southport weekend though, as my back was very bad, and they made it possible for me to go to classes without being in too much pain afterwards. I can only wear them on VERY fast floors, though!

I also love my black and silver glitter Heavenly dance shoes, that I got made last year. Having a bad back means I can't wear high heels, and it's nearly impossible to get pretty, glittery shoes with low heels. And I will absolutely not wear a dress with completely flat shoes, my black and white shoes, or with trainers!:sick: These Heavenly shoes are really pretty, very glittery, and with just the right amount of heel to be a bit dressy (I think they're 1 1/2 inches) and very comfortable to dance in all night.

Oh, and I used to loooooove my flat leather-soled jazz shoes, which is what I first started dancing in. Unfortunately they've literally been worn to shreds, and I can't find new ones that have leather soles! They all have suede or synthetic soles.:( Would really like another pair, though, so any advice on where to get them would be great!

Beowulf
8th-January-2007, 11:49 AM
This is an interesting thread. but I'm actually less sure about dance shoes now than I was when I first started reading ! I can understand the need for a smooth bit on the soles when spinning but reading above it seems to suggest to me that the majority like very slippy suede soles? Now perhaps this is the (permanently resident) newbie in me, but I would have thought that slippery soles would be detrimental to dancing. I know myself if a floor is a little slippy (fast i guess you lot would call it) then I find my dancing suffers.

Also many of you seem to mention that you prefer thin soles so you can feel the floor. Why? what to you expect it to do? I prefer a sole that provides some cushioning otherwise my feet get sore. I don't "feel" the floor per se, but don't really see what disadvantage that gives and what I would gain from having more of a connection with the ground?

again (in my noobish capacity) I find the floor quite useful in one thing... it stops my continual descent downwards due to the affects of gravity ;) it's something to stand on and nothing else, knowing it's there doesn't affect my dancing in any way. I don't need to feel the floor, as long as I'm not plummeting downwards at 9.8 m/s<sup>2</sup> then I assume I'm standing on something and don't worry about it. I mean it's not as if I can stand on things any lighter than I have to. (otherwise next time I stood on my bathroom scales they would say 12st.. and not 14!)

I understand i'm being silly here, but can someone explain to me why feeling the floor is so important and why having shoes that (to me appear to) cut down the amount of grip you have with the floor are a good thing?

My dancing is "ok" these days.. but don't want to spend a lot of money on shoes that will make it less than "ok" again.

What is the real benefit of dance shoes over say.. my tatty trainers (apart from obvious aesthetic properties that is)

TurboTomato
8th-January-2007, 11:57 AM
Beo says stuff

Beo, if you're comfortable dancing in your trainers then don't change!

Personally, I find trainers with small, thin soles (as I described earlier) help me control my feet better than larger clumpy 'fashion' trainers that I have. Same goes for the leather soled shoes as well, they just allow me to turn more smoothly (and look better ;) ). But if it ain't broke don't try to fix it! :)

Never been tempted to by those Bloc trainers and don't think I ever will tbh

Groovemeister
8th-January-2007, 12:02 PM
It is down to your dance style whether you will get any improvement from wearing dance shoes. If you want to develope your dance style further then get them.

If you move or spin alot then you will notice the difference if you don't then probably not. This is why the "ladies" (other than buying shoes for aesthetic reasons) will swear by them.

Floor feeling again is for the more controlled dancer (I am not saying you are not by the way) but if you want more control of your feet, body position then you need to be able to feel the floor. More contact, as with most activities you do, the better.

Beowulf
8th-January-2007, 12:08 PM
Ah ! therein lies the rub.. at the moment I don't spin..at all.. if I can help it. I do a very good 180<sup>o</sup> but ending up facing away from your partner is never a good move for improving connection.

on rare occasions I have managed a 270<sup>o</sup> and the subsequent falling over.. but only if I really push myself. :wink:

MartinHarper
8th-January-2007, 01:10 PM
Many of you seem to mention that you prefer thin soles so you can feel the floor. Why?

Personally I'm happy in thick soles, and I didn't notice anything spectacularly different when dancing in my thinner suede soles. However:

The "feel the floor" thing is (AFAIK) about being able to do things with your feet to maintain balance and change direction. Try this exercise: stand barefoot on one foot. If that's too easy, close your eyes. You'll probably notice yourself wobbling a bit. One of the things your body does naturally to keep you upright when wobbling is to transfer your weight to different parts of your foot. So, if you wobble to the left, you'll roll your foot outwards to catch its left edge, and push out with that to get back in balance.

It seems to suggest to me that the majority like very slippy suede soles? ... I would have thought that slippery soles would be detrimental to dancing.

Slippy soles are good for spins, slides, footwork, and technique. I love them. Spins and slides should be obvious. It's possible to spin on grippy soles, but that's not good for the knees if you do it regularly.

I mention footwork because, while it's possible to do fancy footwork in grippy shoes, that requires fully transferring weight and physically lifting the other foot off the floor. This is tiresome: slippy shoes allow me to be lazier. Also, some neat footwork options require twisting or sliding of the foot, so again I don't want too much grip.

On the technique front, slippier shoes require me to decide where I want to move earlier, prevent me from changing directions very quickly, and mean that my body reflects the way that I'm moving. These are the kind of limits that go together with good leading. When I'm leading I don't want to change direction on the drop of a hat, because that gives my partner no warning, and might jerk her off balance.

One compromise between slip and grip is to buy shoes with slippy material under the ball of the foot, and grippy material under the heel and round the edges of the shoe. For example, I wear Etonic Blue Flame bowling shoes, which work very well:
http://www.amazon.com/Etonic-Blue-Flame/dp/B000AA4XVW

----

Overall, I'd say that feeling the floor is very much optional, but most leads should avoid dancing in very grippy soles after the first six months or so.

Lynn
8th-January-2007, 02:47 PM
I can understand the need for a smooth bit on the soles when spinning but reading above it seems to suggest to me that the majority like very slippy suede soles? Suede soles actually aren't slippy - they have more grip than leather soles. Unless you never brush them and allow the suede to get flat and shiny - they they are slippy. But if brushed every so often they retain an element of 'grip' which makes them easier to wear on slippy (often referred to as 'fast') floors. But not so much grip that its hard to spin.

I only have two pair of leather soled shoes - b&w's which are pretty dirty owing to being worn (once) in a salsa venue and at some swing nights - and my tango shoes - because you need a very smooth sole for all the pivots in tango. Though one of my suede soled pairs now are pretty worn and smooth - good as a tango practice pair and for slower floors.

Now perhaps this is the (permanently resident) newbie in me, but I would have thought that slippery soles would be detrimental to dancing. I know myself if a floor is a little slippy (fast i guess you lot would call it) then I find my dancing suffers.Everyone I guess has their own comfort level of how fast they like a floor - really fast is bad because you can slip and fall - but slow is awful as you can't spin. Spinning on sticky floors or in grippy shoes can damage your knees, as well as feeling uncomfortable.

If going to a new venue, or one that has a variable floor depending on other uses through the week, many dancers take several pairs of shoes so they can wear ones with a sole that feels most suitable for the speed of the floor.

Baruch
9th-January-2007, 12:13 AM
I would have thought that slippery soles would be detrimental to dancing. I know myself if a floor is a little slippy (fast i guess you lot would call it) then I find my dancing suffers.
I find that sometimes it's necessary to wear different shoes to match the type of floor. I have 3 pairs: suede-soled, leather-soled and dance trainers, to cope with all eventualities. The trainers are best when the floor is a bit too fast for other shoes. Usually I'm happy with my suede soles, though.

Also many of you seem to mention that you prefer thin soles so you can feel the floor. Why? what to you expect it to do? I prefer a sole that provides some cushioning otherwise my feet get sore. I don't "feel" the floor per se, but don't really see what disadvantage that gives and what I would gain from having more of a connection with the ground?
I thought like that too until I bought my suede-soled Werner Kerns. In fact, I quickly discovered that my feet get much less tired in them than they do in trainers. They're a lot lighter and feel a lot less bulky. As for feeling the floor, I agree with what Martin said. It helps your dancing to feel more stylish, which in turn hopefully helps it to look a bit better as well.

MartinHarper
9th-January-2007, 01:04 AM
As for feeling the floor, I agree with what Martin said. It helps your dancing to feel more stylish, which in turn hopefully helps it to look a bit better as well.

I didn't feel any more stylish in thinner soles. Mostly I just got colder feet.

StokeBloke
9th-January-2007, 01:44 AM
I got dance shoes for Christmas, and I think that wearing dance shoes raises your partner's expectations. You really do need to concentrate hard and raise your game or you run the risk of looking like someone with 'all the gear - no idea'!

Baruch
9th-January-2007, 02:18 AM
I got dance shoes for Christmas, and I think that wearing dance shoes raises your partner's expectations. You really do need to concentrate hard and raise your game or you run the risk of looking like someone with 'all the gear - no idea'!
Not necessarily. Not all dance shoes look different to ordinary shoes. Mine don't (http://www.kingdomofdance.co.uk/item.aspx?pid=615&item=shoes). They just look like black dress shoes.

Lynn
9th-January-2007, 04:14 PM
I got dance shoes for Christmas, and I think that wearing dance shoes raises your partner's expectations. You really do need to concentrate hard and raise your game or you run the risk of looking like someone with 'all the gear - no idea'!Not for me. Firstly, I don't notice men's shoes that much. Sorry guys, but they're not quite as exciting as ladies dance shoes. Secondly, someone wearing dance shoes just says 'I love dancing' to me.

killingtime
9th-January-2007, 06:32 PM
Looking at dance shoes I've been scared by the prices but also dismayed by the range available in my shoe size (am a size 11) and I have a very high instep and need quite a broad fit too.

I know that feeling. I'm a size 12 and therefore I tend to have to have my shoes mailed in from the supplier. This makes it difficult to just "try on" shoes. I've got one pair of shoes that took nearly 6 months to arrive. When I got them I didn't really like them but didn't send them back (I might wear them one day, maybe for Tango).

I pretty much stick to my dance trainers. I like 'em a lot. Indeed it was a good indication of how much I enjoyed a party night and forgot my shoes and decided the party was "worth it" (thankfully I did get them back though).

Now perhaps this is the (permanently resident) newbie in me, but I would have thought that slippery soles would be detrimental to dancing.

My dancing is "ok" these days.. but don't want to spend a lot of money on shoes that will make it less than "ok" again.

Well I find my balance can be affected if I have too slippery shoes mixed with a slippery floor but I can (most of the time) adjust. I found wearing my leather sole shoes was detrimental to my dancing as they felt too slippery. Someone suggested I persist however as after I've adjusted I'll find turning easier and my dancing smoother. I believe him but generally I don't have space in my bag for two pairs of shoes along with everything else otherwise I'd bring then and "adjust into them" for bits of the night.

Astro
9th-January-2007, 08:33 PM

I stamped my foot forgetting I was wearing suede soles, instead of my usual trainers, and hurt the ball of my foot. Luckily it was the last dance.

Trainers have 'shock absorbers' which are great on a hard floor like the Casbah.

Dai
9th-January-2007, 08:35 PM
I can understand the need for a smooth bit on the soles when spinning but reading above it seems to suggest to me that the majority like very slippy suede soles? Now perhaps this is the (permanently resident) newbie in me, but I would have thought that slippery soles would be detrimental to dancing.

Yes - there is a fine line between slippy and too slippy. As lead - you need to make sure you have sufficient grip so when doing assisted spins/drops/leans... you can ensure the safety of the person you are dancing with.

True - thin sole you would have thought = sore feet. However thin soles are brilliant for women who require control, or anyone following for that matter. Its not quite so vital for leading, but then leads tend to do less spins (apart from the woodface legendary 7 spins that i have read about!! - no offence intended)

I understand i'm being silly here, but can someone explain to me why feeling the floor is so important and why having shoes that (to me appear to) cut down the amount of grip you have with the floor are a good thing?

I have several pairs of dance trainers - bloc, freed, sasha, and an adapted pair of converse. The bloc have bulky soles, they make me feel clumpy, and are my last resort if all else fails. The freed were fantastic when i first bought them, lower arch, less cramps, but due to the amount of useage, the sole has pretty much gone. The sasha were a whopping £25, with a very thin amount of suede on the sole, (both toe and heel). They are almost the same as the blocs, but less bulky, and obviously the suede makes a huge difference. Finally - the converse - just a pair or trainers i bought, and then had a sole added to them for £10. Comfort meets dance shoe. I now would choose to wear these trainers at every venue possible, they are awesome. The dance sole allows me to spin comfortably (well as comfortably as i can spin) while still having enough grip to ensure the safety of who i am dancing with. I have also found that with the slippy soles, when i do drops i can slide forwrds into a lunge, and the slide back up again - making the move a lot smoother for the lady.

My dancing is "ok" these days.. but don't want to spend a lot of money on shoes that will make it less than "ok" again. What is the real benefit of dance shoes over say.. my tatty trainers (apart from obvious aesthetic properties that is)

Like i said - my trainers were converted for a huge £10. So if you prefer to dance in your trainers - you could do the same. However if you are happy as you are - then why worry. If you have a friend with the same size shoe - why don't you borrow them for a couple of dances - see how it feels. But it often takes a while to get used to a new pair of dance shoes, so a couple of dances may not be enough.

FunkyAngel
10th-January-2007, 03:31 PM

I think some of it is a personal thing but I like to be able to feel the floor because it makes me more aware of my balance and exactly where on my foot my weight is located (eg more weight on big toe, ball of the foot, inside of foot etc).

I like fast shoes with as little grip as possible. My preference is smooth leather soles and a nice fast floor (eg Twyford or Finchley). As a follower I don't have any particular need to grip the floor and I like to be able to spin or slide with as little resistance as possible. I don't find balance a problem but then again I can ice-skate :wink: . I've yet to find a floor that's too fast for my liking - but any suggestions out there would be interesting to follow up on...

I don't find the lack of cushioning a problem unless I'm dancing something involving jumps. I'm more likely to get sore feet from too much spinning on a sticky floor.

And like Little Monkey I'd love some leather soled jazz shoes (or even some leather soled ballroom shoes instead of having to doctor all of my suede soles to make them more leather like).

FunkyAngel

P.S. I do like to wear different shoes when leading though as I do need more stability and grip on the floor.

Frankie_4711
10th-January-2007, 07:09 PM
I wear dance trainers to dance in, and nothing else (well, not literally nothing else - clothes too, obviously!!) and have done for about a year and a quarter of the two years I've been dancing. Once I'd tried them, I wasn't going back to 'normal' shoes, and have had trouble finding flat 'girly' dance shoes (can't wear heels) although will admit I've not spent a lot of time looking ... yet.

Just ordered myself a new pair of trainers and am looking around again for some more feminine flats, as it would be nice to be able to wear the odd skirt or dress, especially for some of the posher dos.

Went to a black tie and posh frocks birthday party last weekend and knew in advance that only about 20 of the 100 or so guests were Cerocers, so didn't want to arrive in my trainers or change into them too early, so started dancing in my normal shoes. It was really difficult to begin with (especially as the floor was tiny and not that good), but I actually forgot about them after and while and it wasn't until almost the end of the night that I realized I still hadn't changed my shoes. Won't make that a regular thing though!

Lynn
10th-January-2007, 08:02 PM
Went to a black tie and posh frocks birthday party last weekend and knew in advance that only about 20 of the 100 or so guests were Cerocers, so didn't want to arrive in my trainers or change into them too early, so started dancing in my normal shoes. It was really difficult to begin with (especially as the floor was tiny and not that good), but I actually forgot about them after and while and it wasn't until almost the end of the night that I realized I still hadn't changed my shoes. Won't make that a regular thing though!It feels so strange doesn't it? Even with shoes that I used to wear dancing in pre-MJ days, I now find it so uncomfortable to dance in non-dance shoes. I always end up changing into my dance shoes pretty quickly, so don't know how it would feel if I perservered.

I have danced in boots a few times, mostly because I've changed into them to leave the venue and am asked for a dance. But wouldn't want to make a habit of it.