PDA

View Full Version : What's the dominant emotion in Ceroc?

MartinHarper
4th-January-2007, 06:28 PM
I once read a comment saying that the emotion characterising blues dancing was sexiness, whereas the emotion characterising Lindy dancing was exuberance.

So I wondered: what emotion is most associated with Modern Jive?

Lee Bartholomew
4th-January-2007, 06:29 PM
Modern Jive or Ceroc?

SuzyQ
4th-January-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm a Psychologist and even I don't have an answer to that one!

Trouble
4th-January-2007, 06:35 PM
It would appear how good they are in bed looking at the other threads :respect:

Tortoise
4th-January-2007, 06:37 PM
Maybe due to the fact that Jive/Ceroc incorparates many different styles of dancing eg:Latin, Lindy, Salsa, Ballroom ect we can see it in many different forms. I have to say this is evident at Southport when walking from one room to another. Latin room - slow, sensual, passionate dancing. Main room - Lots of bouncing and a usual dance night going on and in the blues a mixture of chilled and sexual dances. Music i feel holds the key into how we express within our dance:wink:.

Ghost
4th-January-2007, 06:38 PM
Joy :clap:

(Closest I can get to "freedom" and "fun")

Dreadful Scathe
4th-January-2007, 06:40 PM
Modern Jive or Ceroc?

He said modern jive, just answer the question in the post :)

The dominant emotion is "spangly"

Lee Bartholomew
4th-January-2007, 06:43 PM
Also are you talking about whilst dancing or in other events like the forum or days out etc.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-January-2007, 06:54 PM
Also are you talking about whilst dancing or in other events like the forum or days out etc.
that gives me an idea for a "GRAND FORUM PICNIC"...who's coming ? :)

Lou
4th-January-2007, 06:56 PM
It would appear how good they are in bed looking at the other threads :respect:

who's coming ? :)

The people on the other threads?

The dominant emotion is "orange"

Frankie_4711
4th-January-2007, 06:58 PM
Joy :clap:

(Closest I can get to "freedom" and "fun")

Pretty much my first thought.

StokeBloke
4th-January-2007, 07:00 PM
I once read a comment saying that the emotion characterising blues dancing was sexiness, whereas the emotion characterising Lindy dancing was exuberance.

As a new lead I would say 50:50 - fear:excitement - :eek: : :clap:

David Franklin
4th-January-2007, 07:10 PM
I once read a comment saying that the emotion characterising blues dancing was sexiness, whereas the emotion characterising Lindy dancing was exuberance. Not to rag on Lindy hoppers, but in an awful lot of footage I see, exhuberance is almost the last thing that comes to mind. They seem to take themselves so d*mn seriously! It may of course be selection effect - only serious dancers end up on YouTube...

(Criticism could equally be applied to a lot of MJ or WCS dancers, but I'm not sure they'd claim "exhuberance" in the first place).

So I wondered: what emotion is most associated with Modern Jive?Social MJ: "fun" - look at a general group of dancers, and they may not be the greatest dancers, but they are all enjoying themselves.
Competition MJ: "flash". I love you, but we only we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth! (Sorry Barry :blush:).

fletch
4th-January-2007, 07:13 PM
Modern Jive or Ceroc?

Isn't Ceroc, Modern Jive ?

bit like Hoover and Vacume

The dominant emotion is "spangly"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree, i'm sure Andy Mc will agree also :na:

ME
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

JiveLad
4th-January-2007, 07:15 PM
The dominant emotion is "orange"

Is that like Tango orange?

http://www.airshows.co.uk/orangeman.jpg

Tortoise
4th-January-2007, 07:16 PM
Picnic - yep put my name on that list. Maybe when the weather warms up don't fancy frozen barms. lol

TA Guy
4th-January-2007, 07:39 PM
Not sure 'Fun' is an emotion, so I'll go with simple 'Pleasure'. I'm too old to claim 'happiness' :)

Not sure, in the Blues rooms I've peeked into, the immediate emotion that sprang into my mind was 'Sexiness' tho :)

straycat
4th-January-2007, 07:45 PM

Personally, I'd have said that the emotion characterising great blues dances for me is one of intensity and togetherness. In fact - the same holds true for Lindy and MJ.

Exuberance - I'd say that's a individual style thing, rather than a Lindy characteristic. Likewise sexiness / blues.

Miguel
4th-January-2007, 08:44 PM

BLISS!!! (Also breeze, swish, storm, chill, blaze and splash).

David Bailey
4th-January-2007, 09:27 PM
Isn't Ceroc, Modern Jive ?

bit like Hoover and Vacume
Nope - one's a business, the other is a dance form.

To quote the ceroc.com website:

The style of dance taught at a CEROC class is a fusion of Jive & Salsa which is easy to learn, sociable, fun, and can be danced to any style of music.

In other words, you can learn Modern Jive at a Ceroc class.

(Or a "CEROC" class, even :rolleyes: )

SeriouslyAddicted
4th-January-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm too old to claim 'happiness' :)

I'm not so happiness gets my vote!

TurboTomato
4th-January-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm not so happiness gets my vote!

That'll do for me as well :D :hug:

LemonCake
4th-January-2007, 11:38 PM

Picnic! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I like picnics. Am very bad at catering - I always end up with twice as much food as actually needed.

Unless you're all planning to join me in Sydney (gorgeous picnic weather today :waycool: ) I suggest we wait a few months after I get home!

Now what was this thread about? Oh yes, emotions. Excitement. Sense of fun. Exhilaration when a dance goes 'just right'. :clap: Frustration when a dance goes all wrong :(

Gav
5th-January-2007, 12:49 AM
Exitement and joy. :D

Juju
5th-January-2007, 01:40 AM
Exuberance - I'd say that's a individual style thing, rather than a Lindy characteristic.

Funnily enough my style has been described as "exuberant" by someone who then went on to tell me I would suit lindy.

Dai
5th-January-2007, 01:59 AM
Surely it would be fair to say the music plays a large role in the emotions of the dancers - you dance according to the music, slow and sexy for the blues, and wind it up again for the faster tracks, were as tango tracks have more feeling, almost as if more emphasis on the moves.

But ultimately the emotions felt will be happiness, enjoyment, satisfaction... all positive and feel good, otherwise why would we all be spending this much time and money on it? Obviously there are times when people feel frustration (for not being able to lead/follow a move properly, or ending up with a person you dislike dancing with at the end of the class, when the person next to you is dancing with your favorite dancer), annoyance (can't find anyone to dance with ad this is your fav track) anxiety/nervousness (can't pluck up the courage to ask a dancing guru to dance with you)

Its not possible to select just one emotion, but the overridding emotions are surely positive, happy ones, unless of course you have just had a bad night, or you have been to a naf venue.

Dreadful Scathe
5th-January-2007, 08:42 AM

You can also learn Ceroc at a Ceroc class, or a modern jive class for that matter, especially if its a Ceroc Teacher at a modern jive class :) Fletch was right it IS like Hoover / Vacuum, as despite what Ceroc.com says, people DO use it as the name of the dance too. A bit like Coke being a generic term when it is actually a trademark of Coca-Cola - i always ask for Cola :)

straycat
5th-January-2007, 11:43 AM
Back on to Blues - just came across the following page (http://www.fridaynightwaltz.com/Blues.html), which has one of the best descriptions of blues dancing that I've seen. Shame the class is in the US :(

To quote a key chunk:

Some who have tried to pick up blues dancing simply by observation overlook the nuances of the dance beyond its “sexy” side. The sensual appearance may overshadow the basis and structure of the dance. Some of the best blues dancing is rooted in subtle physical communication, and is almost impossible for anyone to learn simply by watching.

Blues dance enables intense individuality in expressing the music. It really is all about communication, emphasizing that the music, not the dancer, leads the dance; we are simply the interpreters. Blues dance demonstrates the passion of the entire range of human emotions, not just the sensual ones. If you don’t have a visceral reaction to the music, your partner, and the environment, then you are missing the wonders of dancing blues.

Shodan
5th-January-2007, 11:44 AM
He said modern jive, just answer the question in the post :)
Just to be terribly picking - the thread title says "Ceroc", but then in the first post's text its then changed to "Modern Jive" :wink::nice:

I think my emotion for Modern Jive / Ceroc would be along the lines of "casual", "playful" or "social". MJ is a nice social dance that all can easily enjoy.

MartinHarper
5th-January-2007, 11:50 AM
Ultimately the emotions felt will be happiness, enjoyment, satisfaction... all positive and feel good, otherwise why would we all be spending this much time and money on it?

I dunno: people spend lots of money being frightened by movies, for example.

straycat
5th-January-2007, 11:53 AM
Just to be terribly picking - the thread title says "Ceroc", but then in the first post's text its then changed to "Modern Jive" :wink::nice:

It's a cultural thing (except that in this case, I think it's artificially induced by some brainwave-altering gizmo pioneered at Modern Jive Central.) You know - the way many Japanese can't tell the difference between an L and an R - an increasing number of people literally cannot tell the difference between the two phrases, even when written on the page, staring them in the face. So if the two distinct phrases: "Ceroc" and "Ceroc" are starting to look similar, or even identical to you... it's time to worry.

Luckily, as a Lindy dancer, I'm immune to this kind of blatant and shameful manipulation :cool:.

whitetiger1518
5th-January-2007, 12:16 PM
Some of the feelings I get on an MJ dance floor:

Amazement: I can actually do the (previously seeemingly impossible) move that my lead has just put me into it :clap: :clap:

Exhilaration and Joy: At achieving the said moves, not tripping myself, my partner, or anyone else up. :rofl:

Awe: For all the magnificent dancers that are leagues ahead of me :worthy: :respect: :worthy:

Pure Enjoyment and Happiness: Dancing well to these tracks with those leaders :yum: :innocent: Mmmmm :drool:

Cheers

Whitetiger

Dreadful Scathe
5th-January-2007, 01:16 PM

Don't worry, you're not being "terribly picking". The question was about modern jive .....as people put far more importance on what they type in a post, its the only sensible one to base your answer, unless you're a weird cheese eating surrender monkey :)

Had to get that phrase out at least once today :)

Nick M
5th-January-2007, 04:05 PM
The dominant emotion should be set by the music, surely? So it depends on the track.

Happy bouncy tracks - happy bouncy emotion
Sexy bluesy tracks - sexy sultry emotion
etc

No point in being bouncy and happy to Tango in Harlem, or slinky and sultry to "Can't get you out of my head"

TheTramp
5th-January-2007, 04:08 PM
Last night, the dominant emotion at Ceroc was tiredness!

Tinkerbell
5th-January-2007, 04:11 PM
Last night, the dominant emotion at Ceroc was tiredness!

:yeah: so true, I think Rock Me just about finished me off!

TheTramp
5th-January-2007, 04:34 PM
:yeah: so true, I think Rock Me just about finished me off!

And you didn't even dance it with me! :yum:

MartinHarper
5th-January-2007, 05:15 PM
No point in being bouncy and happy to Tango in Harlem..

Though people do try to be sultry to it. Isn't it about an attempted mugging?

littlewiggle
5th-January-2007, 08:46 PM
exhilaration - caused by feeling free to creatively express and anticipation not knowing what I'm going to get!

Lynn
6th-January-2007, 12:02 AM
Though people do try to be sultry to it. Isn't it about an attempted mugging?Like a lot of songs, it depends if you are dancing to the lyrics or the music. (eg Mack the Knife) I do tend to 'sing along' to a track fairly often but I'm still dancing the music and am more likely to use the lyrics as another instrument to express most of the time, than trying to interpret the lyrics.

Paulthetrainer
6th-January-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm a Psychologist and even I don't have an answer to that one!

I'm an opinionated know-it-all, and even I'm stuck on this one! :D

Blueshoes
6th-January-2007, 03:12 PM
Is forgetfulness an emotion?

When I dance, nothing else matters. Everything else going on in my life (good or bad) disappears and all that's left is me, my partner and the music. When I have a good dance there are only two people left in the world, no one and nothing else exists.

Getting back to the real world afterwards is sometimes hard!

straycat
6th-January-2007, 07:15 PM

No - but it is a sign of ageing! :devil:

When I dance, nothing else matters. Everything else going on in my life (good or bad) disappears and all that's left is me, my partner and the music. When I have a good dance there are only two people left in the world, no one and nothing else exists.

:yeah:
I don't see that as forgetfullness - more as a kind of meditative state. Not that I get this all the time, but when I do, it's an incredible feeling. One that often robs me of my powers of speech, for some reason. Which is one of the reasons I don't like talking while dancing...

That too.

fletch
6th-January-2007, 09:32 PM

To me this totally sums up someone that understands 'the dance'

I can do this with lots of people and try with all, New Years Eve at Berko I had two dances with a guy some what older than me (tactful) much smaller to any one else we would look and odd couple, but, wow! what dances, we even got a round of applause from the people sitting watching,:blush: we were both totally lost in the dance, at the end i kissed him on the cheek said thank you and walked off, ...:hug: .......yes back to reality :(

MJ in the USA
7th-January-2007, 05:46 AM
Nope - one's a business, the other is a dance form.

To quote the ceroc.com website:

This is really just a legal ploy. Ceroc used to say they taught you how to Ceroc - even on their web site.

The problem is that if the dance is called Ceroc then anyone can set up a Ceroc class in the same way that anyone can set up a Lindy Hop, Waltz, Tango (or whatever) class.

The only way to protect the name is for Ceroc to state formally that Ceroc is simply the business name - as they now do on the web site - and that they teach something else.

Beowulf
9th-January-2007, 12:27 PM

Was going to say forgetfulness too.. but for completely different reasons :blush:
("Erm.. yoyo.. yoyo.. erm.. yoyo .. aha! man spin.. comb.. erm.. yoyo! Yoyo..")

forgetfulness and/or panic perhaps :wink:

CJ
9th-January-2007, 11:25 PM
Ceroc, the dance? serenity...
OR Ceroc, the organsation? meglamania?!?

Double Trouble
9th-January-2007, 11:35 PM
Ceroc, the dance? serenity...
OR Ceroc, the organsation? meglamania?!?

:rolleyes: its the riddler :rolleyes: Just answer the question :love:

By the way...I think happy is only emotion I feel when dancing. Unless its with a stinker. Wiffy...! :what:

Lindsay
10th-January-2007, 01:20 AM
a weird cheese eating surrender monkey

Please explain :-)
I'll use that...

emotion n. A mental state that arises spontaneously rather than through conscious effort and is often accompanied by physiological changes;