PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 'Find' Error sounds

Shodan
4th-January-2007, 02:33 PM
How do I turn them off?

The sounds I mean are the annoying sound made when you do a CTRL+F "Find" in Firefox and then type in a word that doesn't exist on the webpage you are viewing.

Scared the heck out of me when I forgot I had left my pooter speakers up loud.

I've looked through the "Tools-Options" section to no avail and looked through all the other menus to see if it mentions it. Can't find any reference to it.

Any help appreciated, exception "humourous" comments of:
"turn your speakers down"
"ignore it"
"turn your speakers off".
etc etc

For reference, its the latest version of Firefox as it did an auto-download-install-update thingy only a few days ago.

Thankyou. :nice:

Tessalicious
4th-January-2007, 02:40 PM
Go into the 'Sounds' menu in your control panel (I'm assuming Windows user, if Mac I can't help you I'm afraid). The Sounds option box, then the bottom panel is Program Events. about fifth on the list is 'Default Beep' - I think this is the noise that is played under the circumstance you mention. Go to the drop-down box and select 'None' for this event. This (or a different event if I've got the wrong one) will prevent the sound from being played, but will also stop any equivalent error sounds, so be wary if there are any similar you would want to continue hearing.

Hope that helps. :flower:

JivingJohn
5th-January-2007, 01:51 AM
Sorry Tessalicious but the Windows "Default Beep" is a sort of "Ding" bell sound. The Firefox Find failure noise is a rather ugly squelch sound.

Also it seems to be unique to Firefox.
Google for Firefox config will bring up lots of info.

Basically type about:config in the Firefox address (URL) bar and press enter.
A large page of configuration choices will appear.

In the new Filter bar which appears type sound and press enter.
Only two items appear
Double click on the top one ending in enablesound
and the Value will change to false

Close Firefox and restart and the squelch sound is gone.

Google some more for ways to speed up Firefox and you will find lots you can do from about:config.

Hope this helps

Shodan
5th-January-2007, 11:56 AM
Owww!!! Thankyou very much JivingJohn, I'll try that when I get home. :clap::worthy:

Thanks also to Tessalicious :nice: - but its deffo not the Windows Sound stuff, as I have them all turned off (No Sound Scheme) as I hate any Beeping / Chirped / Dinging sounds coming from my computer. Its one of those things that irritate me tons. I mean I'm listening to MP3s at a goodly volume, the last thing I want is a big Windows "DING!" making my head explode. :rofl: