PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile offer

Paul F
4th-January-2007, 12:18 PM
Just wanted to post details about, what I think is, a really good deal.

Recently I have been looking to get a new mobile phone but I have also had an inclination to buy a PDA.
After doing lots of research I came to the conclusion that there were 2 frontrunners for me - the Nokia N95 (due for release in March) or the HTC Tytn.

I decided in the end to go for the HTC TyTn (this is the monufactureres model) in the form of the T-Mobile Vario II (this is the specific network model).
The reason I did this is because of the excellent offer from t-mobile.

The Vario II is essentially one of those smartphones with a slide out QWERTY keyboard so internet access is assumed.

The t-mobile plan I signed up with is for £42 per month and gives you:
-£180 per month to spend on calls, texts and picture messages (breaking it in half calculates to 450 minutes of anytime/any network calls and 900 texts). Thus is flexible though so if you need to spend more on calls one month and texts the next month you can.
-Unlimited internet usage (note, this is full internet usage, excluding VoIP, and not simply browsing which you can get for £30 per month). This particular phone comes with high-speed connection too which can operate upwards of 1.8Mbps and often has realistic speeds of 1.2Mbps - on a phone!!

I WAS paying £30 to O2 for 200 minutes and around 200 texts.

To me this is a great deal so i thought I would share.

Clive Long
4th-January-2007, 12:25 PM
I went for the same deal plus £7.50 Web and Walk. Don't know how they do it as mobile data tarrifs are pricey - they got to be losing money on this. Note: 18 month contract. I guess if you use it as a 3g modem for your laptop TMobile will slap you with the £19/month data tariff.

Now I have calendar sync working, apart from the occasional device freeze, it works great.

3g (yes, yes, coverage patchy), stable fall back to GPRS, wifi, crappy camera.

Does the job for me.

If you want to go T-Mobile, quote me as your contact and I get free money :D. If you want to go O2, device is XDA mini-S (I think) contact me as well :D .

Clive

P.s. I must , I must insure this device. Very expensive to lose ....

Paul F
4th-January-2007, 12:42 PM
I guess if you use it as a 3g modem for your laptop TMobile will slap you with the £19/month data tariff.

Im a little confused by this as the exlanation for my price plan says

"Flext + web'n'walk Plus plans
Use your phone as a modem with your laptop and access streaming media, download files, use instant messaging on the move. And for your voice needs, Flext constantly adapts to give you minutes and texts when you need them, on a 18 month contract."

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?paymentPlanType=pmt&menuid=ctl_phones_details&nmid=fl_phones_plans&pmid=7297&selectPhoneUse=webNwalk

Please tell me i havnt gone wrong :sick:

Clive Long
4th-January-2007, 12:58 PM
Im a little confused by this as the exlanation for my price plan says

"Flext + web'n'walk Plus plans
Use your phone as a modem with your laptop and access streaming media, download files, use instant messaging on the move. And for your voice needs, Flext constantly adapts to give you minutes and texts when you need them, on a 18 month contract."

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?paymentPlanType=pmt&menuid=ctl_phones_details&nmid=fl_phones_plans&pmid=7297&selectPhoneUse=webNwalk

Please tell me i havnt gone wrong :sick:

Try it and see.

It all depends whether they reconcile data usage against tarrif. Maybe if the 3G network gets saturated with people downloading TV they'll build an application to limit it or send you a "fair-use" email. I doubt mobile browsing will generate muchos traffic. Using it as a laptop modem will - but then you'll probably be bumped up to the same tarrif as other network operators - so no worse of for choosing TMob. Although I haven't done it, many have, try and find a wifi hotspot - Starbucks do it for the price of coffee. Better performance than 3G. I have used wifi on the train. It works but coverage is erratic.

Roll-on metropolitan area wi-fi. HSDPA blah, blah. Streamed mobile content. :awe: :drool: :rofl: