PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma - Blues on Sat 27th Jan 2007

SuzyQ
4th-January-2007, 01:12 AM
What a dilemma! 2 fantastic events on the same night.:what:

Swinging the Blues at Chiswick Town Hall
FunkyLush Rhythm & Dirty Blues Ball

Dare I ask who is going where?!

I'm afraid I've booked a ticket for Swinging the Blues (sorry Toby - really gutted to miss your Funky Blues ball :sad:)

TheTramp
4th-January-2007, 01:41 AM
What a dilemma! 2 fantastic events on the same night.:what:

Swinging the Blues at Chiswick Town Hall
FunkyLush Rhythm & Dirty Blues Ball

Dare I ask who is going where?!

I'm afraid I've booked a ticket for Swinging the Blues (sorry Toby - really gutted to miss your Funky Blues ball :sad:)

Paris, for WCS with a couple of reasonably well known teaching couples! :rolleyes:

FoxyFunkster
4th-January-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm told the Big Ceroc Teacher Gathering thing is on that day - I presume they'll all be at Hammersmith like last year, cliqueing away :).

Methinks the teachers gathering will take place at Hammersmith of the 13th actually!

Cruella
4th-January-2007, 10:44 AM
Methinks the teachers gathering will take place at Hammersmith of the 13th actually!

Didn't i just say that? :confused:

WittyBird
4th-January-2007, 10:58 AM
Didn't i just say that? :confused:

Just proves nobody listens to you anyway :na: :na: :na:

under par
4th-January-2007, 03:53 PM
So how come this thread about the 27th ends up discussing the 13th so quickly .... then becomes a pantomime:angry:

MODERATOR !!! SORT it out

I will be going to Funky Lush at Hatfield and have booked a £15 Travelodge there too,

AND its MY BIRTHDAY on the 28th :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Anyone else for a travelodge party!!!!!

Minnie M
4th-January-2007, 04:00 PM
I'll be at Bognor - Franco's JiveTime Gathering ................. so annoying that FOUR great things all the same weekend :tears:

SuzyQ
4th-January-2007, 04:50 PM
Hmmm .... not that kind of doctor - sadly! Though very good at handing out tissues, plasters and headache pills (was a girl guide in a previous life!).

Well, DJ ... Ceroc normally had its teacher gathering on the same day as Swinging the Blues until Swinging the Blues went over to the 'orange side'. It is now a Ceroc event! How/ why did that happen?!

Mary
4th-January-2007, 07:21 PM
These days there's always be a dilemma on which event to go to, however, for me there is no contest - Hatfield, Funky-Lush R 'n' DB :clap: :clap: - even though it's a bit of a hike for us. :cool:

M

Minnie M
4th-January-2007, 08:00 PM
I'll be at Bognor - Franco's JiveTime Gathering ................. so annoying that FOUR great things all the same weekend :tears:

Moderator - could you please add "Swing & Blues Room at Bognor" please - I need to vote :sad:

thank you :flower:

Yliander
5th-January-2007, 11:10 PM
WAAAA!!!:tears: I want to go to funky lush but can't - going to be in Flying back from a day in Tuscany

Minnie M
5th-January-2007, 11:34 PM
Moderator - could you please add "Swing & Blues Room at Bognor" please - I need to vote :sad:

thank you :hug:

Northants Girly
6th-January-2007, 02:33 AM

thank you :flower:Moderator - please could you add "being presented with my ballroom certificate by Victor Simone" :waycool:

thankyou :flower:

:na: :na: :na: :na: :na: :na: :na: :na:

Lynn
6th-January-2007, 01:23 PM
Moderator - please could you add "being presented with my ballroom certificate by Victor Simone"So who's he? Vincent's brother? :na:

Andy McGregor
6th-January-2007, 03:11 PM

thank you :flower:And "The Brighton Ball" at Hove Town Hall, please.

This is a very popular weekend for dances. I wonder if we all thought the same when booking our dates.

"They'll have got over the excesses of Chrismas"
"They'll need a dance to cheer them up in the dead of winter"
"They'll have been paid"
"Bognor is the weekend before so our dance doesn't clash" ...

.. well, it didn't when we booked our venue :tears:

Maybe we should have thought "will everyone else be thinking the same and booking venues for the end of January?".

I'm sure that every dance would be much better attended if Franco hadn't changed the date for Bognor. I understand Franco's reasons for the change and he has been in touch to apologise and explain. In my eyes this means Franco is one of the good guys. And it raises the question, would I have received the same treatment if it had been a Ceroc weekender that had changed its date?

The good news is that we'd sold over 100 tickets before the end of 2006 and they're still flying out of the door :clap: Quite a relief when you've made a commitment to an expensive hall and then find you clash with a massive weekender which is being held on your doorstep :eek:

Lynn
6th-January-2007, 03:52 PM
This is a very popular weekend for dances. I wonder if we all thought the same when booking our dates.Yes, I've just been invited to another freestyle that night north of London. But I've already got my name down for Funky Lush so hopefully my friend will come along to that instead.

Minnie M
6th-January-2007, 05:16 PM
And "The Brighton Ball" at Hove Town Hall, please................
Are you having a 'Blues' room at the Town Hall as well ??

Hove Town Hall is only 45 mins away from the Bognor event, so I might do both :clap: :clap: I could be back at Bognor at 1am to boogie the night away :clap:

Anyone want a lift ???

Andy McGregor
7th-January-2007, 02:54 AM
Are you having a 'Blues' room at the Town Hall as well ??

Hove Town Hall is only 45 mins away from the Bognor event, so I might do both :clap: :clap: I could be back at Bognor at 1am to boogie the night away :clap:

Anyone want a lift ???You'd have to leave a hour before the end to get back to Bognor for 1am. The Brighton Ball is on 'til 1am. I will be playing loads of bluesy, swingy tracks with a smattering of Latin. Modern pop music will be played earlier in the evening and will be completely absent for the last two hours :whistle:

Limpy Tink
7th-January-2007, 11:30 AM
Paris, for WCS with a couple of reasonably well known teaching couples! :rolleyes:

Me too :clap: :clap: - along with a few "snoots" :D

What is the point in having a poll - if you can't vote on it?! :wink: (LT runs off to stamp her feet in the corner "I want to vote - and I want to vote NOW!")

SuzyQ
7th-January-2007, 12:58 PM
Sorry Limpy Tink ... the dilemma (hence poll) was with regards to blues on Saturday 27th ... not anything else :).

You could do another poll about the whole weekend if you want to!

SuzyQ

CJ
23rd-January-2007, 12:19 PM
Yes, I've just been invited to another freestyle that night north of London. But I've already got my name down for Funky Lush so hopefully my friend will come along to that instead.

Shall see you there, petal:flower:

fletch
23rd-January-2007, 12:23 PM
I hope I will be dancing the 'Blues' but it will be 'Up tut North'

Knutsford

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dai
23rd-January-2007, 03:05 PM
Me to me to me to!!!!

Lynn
23rd-January-2007, 03:31 PM
Shall see you there, petal:flower::D :flower:

David Bailey
23rd-January-2007, 04:14 PM
I hope I will be dancing the 'Blues' but it will be 'Up tut North'

Knutsford

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I see they're doing a Tango workshop there... :wink:

fletch
23rd-January-2007, 04:28 PM
I see they're doing a Tango workshop there... :wink:

Yes DJ your piont is :rolleyes:

:sick:

David Bailey
23rd-January-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes DJ your piont is :rolleyes:

:sick:

Do Tango, you know you want to... :)

Cruella
23rd-January-2007, 04:48 PM
Fletch you would be great at Tango, I believe it's led via the chest! :whistle:

fletch
23rd-January-2007, 04:52 PM
Do Tango, you know you want to... :)

well, picture this scenario.

you travel 200 miles to get to a high profile guest listed venue on its opening night, the best of the best are there, and your asked to dance, as you are lead to the floor you notice two familiar faces from you local venue sat in the corner keeping a low profile, and what does your dance partner do ...............Tango's you around the floor till your legs are in knots and you look like a complete twonk! :tears:

sound familiar :wink:

ho! and your dentures go green :sick:

fletch
23rd-January-2007, 04:53 PM
Fletch you would be great at Tango, I believe it's led via the chest! :whistle:

I had more than enough of that at ice thanks :na:

:rofl:

Dai
23rd-January-2007, 07:32 PM
i had a fletch and jamie ice style dance at Utopia last week :eek:

David Bailey
23rd-January-2007, 09:18 PM
and what does your dance partner do ...............Tango's you around the floor till your legs are in knots and you look like a complete twonk! :tears:
It's impossible to look like a twonk doing tango - well, OK, it's impossible to look like a twonk in front of non-tangoers, at least.

Remember how impressed non-dancers are with even a simple MJ routine? MJ-ers are like that with Tango, trust me :innocent:

ho! and your dentures go green :sick:
That was just the spinach in my teeth :blush:

Minnie M
23rd-January-2007, 09:29 PM
twonk :confused:

Is that a northern name :confused:

TheTramp
24th-January-2007, 01:23 AM
Remember how impressed non-dancers are with even a simple MJ routine? MJ-ers are like that with Tango, trust me :innocent:

Yeah. Absolutely*! :rolleyes:

*Well, ok. I did enjoy watching Mark & Karen's :D

David Bailey
24th-January-2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah. Absolutely*! :rolleyes:
Well, obviously, wonderful aerial-teacher-seal-gods excepted.

wicked blue
25th-January-2007, 03:56 PM
AND its MY BIRTHDAY on the 28th :yeah: :yeah: :yeah!!

Happy birthday Under Par, :flower:

Sorry i wont be there to celebrate with you

wb xx

Bluey
25th-January-2007, 05:24 PM
Moderator - please could you add "being presented with my ballroom certificate by Victor Simone" :waycool:

thankyou :flower:

:na: :na: :na: :na: :na: :na: :na: :na:

and your top acheivement was, please tell us..............

Bluey
25th-January-2007, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Andy McGregor;326907]And "The Brighton Ball" at Hove Town Hall, please.

T/QUOTE]

can I still buy on door?? that a be Handy

Could you let us know?? many thanks Andy

CJ
27th-January-2007, 03:40 PM
Hatfield, I know.

Does anyone have any other info re FL??:confused:

Times, address or post code would be good.:worthy:

Thank you.:flower:

Lory
27th-January-2007, 03:46 PM

8pm till 1am

De Havilland Campus, Hatfield Business Park, Hatfield, Herts AL10 9EU.
A1(M) Junction 3.
Maps: http://www.hertssportsvillage.co.uk/...tact_main.html
http://www.herts.ac.uk/newcampus/campus_maps_main.html

Mary
27th-January-2007, 03:48 PM
Hatfield, I know.

Thank you.:flower:

Starts at 8pm.

De Havilland Sprts & Social Club,
de Havilland Campus,
Hatfield Business Park,
Hatfield,
Herts,
AL10 9EU

A1(M) J 3

Or check the Funky Lush website.

See you there, and save a dance or 2 for me please? :flower:

M

under par
27th-January-2007, 04:38 PM
looking forward to loads of scrummy musi:cheers: :yeah: :yeah: c and dancing at Funky Lush tonight..and maybe a wee celebration tipple after at the travelodge nearby...mmmmm!

WittyBird
27th-January-2007, 04:42 PM
looking forward to loads of scrummy musi:cheers: :yeah: :yeah: c and dancing at Funky Lush tonight..and maybe a wee celebration tipple after at the travelodge nearby...mmmmm!

Sounds good to me! Save me a few dances everyone :D

Twirly
27th-January-2007, 04:45 PM
Sounds good to me! Save me a few dances everyone :D

So are you over your cold then?

WittyBird
27th-January-2007, 04:49 PM
So are you over your cold then?

Blame Lavender and Camomile :D But not 100% yet, getting there though! The lovely Lory is driving me to Hatfield, so we can have a good gossip in the car! :clap:

fletch
27th-January-2007, 06:55 PM
getting there though! The lovely Lory is driving me to Hatfield, so we can have a good gossip in the car! :clap:

good :flower:

i'll ring you tomorrow for an update :wink:

Lory
27th-January-2007, 06:58 PM
i'll ring you tomorrow for an update :wink:

Well I hope Witty's got some gossip, cos I haven't got any :confused:

WittyBird
27th-January-2007, 07:14 PM
Well I hope Witty's got some gossip, cos I haven't got any :confused:

Oooooooooh loads for you to digest :wink:

SuzyQ
28th-January-2007, 10:44 AM
Hope FL was excellent - and Happy Birthday to Under Par!

Swinging the Blues was BRILLIANT ... 3 rooms - blues, 'normal' and Utopia ... music in all 3 was brilliant and I wanted to dance to it all!!! If only it was possible to be in 3 places at once. No hotshottery or cliques whatsoever. Lots of men to dance with.

Nigel/Ceroc London - WELL DONE - best night in ages!

Sparkles
28th-January-2007, 12:17 PM
Funky Lush was an excellent night.

Music, as always, was superb and the new venue was a great size and had a lovely floor - just a shame it was a bit tricky to find, but :respect: to Simonr who went and stood out in the cold and directed people to the dance hall :hug:.

Nice to have a full bar, and there was even a snack bar too (serving chips and burgers and so on) :cool:. Shame a few more people couldn't make it, but with so much choice for this weekend I guess people were a bit thin on the ground, and Hatfield is quite a way out of London, but the quality of dancers was superb and I didn't have a bad dance all night.

Looks like Funky Lush is going from strength to strength :worthy:

Cruella
28th-January-2007, 12:39 PM
Nice to have a full bar,

:yeah: as i didn't have to drive for a change.:whistle: I loved the venue and the floor was perfect, nice and fast and large. Had quality dances and music all night,thanks Toby. I'll definately be back!
RobD's birthday cake was :drool: (Thanks to Sparkles)

Zebra Woman
28th-January-2007, 03:44 PM
I had a brilliant night at Funky Lush.:D

The music really flowed, and I had excellent dances all night, some were simply incredible :respect: :drool: . It was such a luxury to have so many great dancers, a fabulous floor, and space to really dance....AND there were chips too! :drool: .

The only improvements I can think of would be to have a few more people (I'm sure that won't be a problem as this was a busy weekend), air conditioning turned up a bit, and a little bit darker :devil: .

ZW

Roll on the next FL :clap:

Mary
28th-January-2007, 07:09 PM
I had a great time at Funky Lush last night. Given it was such a busy weekend with so many other 'big' events I am amazed that there were so many fantastic dancers there. Every dance was a pleasure.

I love the venue. Once you know the campus layout it's easy, but a bit of adventure if it's your first time. The floor and layout works really well, and the bar sells a reasonable glass of white wine.

It's a bit of a long drive for me (not nearly as far as the distances some people are willing travel) but well worth it for 5 hours of dancing with so many great partners to the Kenobe 'music experience'. :respect:

M

Gus
28th-January-2007, 07:36 PM
Went to Swinging the Blues on Saturday. Whe I get my head into gear I'll email Nigel/Bradders my feedback, but the one thing that I did think odd was the near TOTAL absence of Ceroc instructors. Given it was the first year that Ceroc was running such a prestigous event, you'd have thought they would have made sure they rolled out some of the big guns. As it was, the standard of dancers was a bit dissapointing. There were some truly lovely dancers, but no comparison to last year.

Is this a backlash against the 'Ceroc (tm)' brand? If so its a shame as the event was mainly well managed and the standard of DJs was beyond compare (with the excpetion of Messr Phiips absence :( )

tsh
28th-January-2007, 07:45 PM
Hatfield has to be my favorite venue - thursday nights there is very friendly, then Funky Lush comes along and takes it to the next level and then slightly further.

Great to put a few more faces to forum names as well.

Sean

HelenB
28th-January-2007, 10:39 PM

Swinging the Blues was BRILLIANT ... 3 rooms - blues, 'normal' and Utopia ... music in all 3 was brilliant and I wanted to dance to it all!!! If only it was possible to be in 3 places at once. No hotshottery or cliques whatsoever. Lots of men to dance with.

Nigel/Ceroc London - WELL DONE - best night in ages!

:yeah: I had a great time :D

I went to the workshops as well and there was superb teaching all day :respect:

Of the forumites I know I danced with in the evening ( in no particular order... DavidY, Miguel, Jester, KevF & Silverfox) - thanks for the lovely dances :drool:

Lynn
29th-January-2007, 02:16 AM
I had a brilliant night at Funky Lush.:D

The music really flowed, and I had excellent dances all night, some were simply incredible :respect: :drool: . It was such a luxury to have so many great dancers, a fabulous floor, and space to really dance.:yeah:

Had a lovely evening, nice to see some folk I hadn't seen for a while, meet a few new folk and have some truly scrummy dances. Venue and music both great.

under par
29th-January-2007, 02:44 AM
Well the new venue for Funky Lush was very impressive. The floor was lovely cheap bar.. food as well.

Cracking music as only the Tobymeister knows how:respect:

My very first ever Birthday dance...thankyou everyone who made it so special.

Loads of other really great dances thankyou everyone:worthy:

Seeing so many familiar faces and a few new ones including TSH from the forum nice to meet you.:cheers: Pleasant suprise to find CJ and Lynn present too coming from such distant lands... such dedication...

If there was any downside, the event could have done with a few more dancers attending (even though it was fun have so much dancefloor to play around) but the abundance of other events booked for the same weekend will be the man cause of thet I think.

The signposting to get into the event could also be improved although now most of us have now been it will be easier next time.

I personally had a real problem locating the entrance to our Travelodge Hotel,
it took me 1 hour 40 minutes to get to Hatfield... I could see the hotel but due to closed roads it took another 30 minutes to find the right road to get into the car park.:angry: :angry:
It turns out the hotel is really new, still a building site around it and all the roads from the main road that could take you to the hotel are fenced across.

But once in the hotel was great and the £7.50 breakfast (eat as much as you want!) was fab:clap: :clap:

For future events the hotel is a 3 minute drive from the University campus... it is one of their newly built hotels and has a nice restaurant and a bar which was still really buzzing a 0200 hours when we returned. And all for £15....:whistle: Great value:yeah:

Groovemeister
29th-January-2007, 09:53 AM
From Bedford on Friday to Funky Lush on saturday a bit of a contrast.

Some excellent dances to great music.

Not to far for me to go either so makes it all the better for future events.

Tessalicious
29th-January-2007, 10:03 AM
Went to Swinging the Blues on Saturday. Whe I get my head into gear I'll email Nigel/Bradders my feedback, but the one thing that I did think odd was the near TOTAL absence of Ceroc instructors. Given it was the first year that Ceroc was running such a prestigous event, you'd have thought they would have made sure they rolled out some of the big guns. :confused: were we at the same event, Gus? (well, ok, I know we were, cos we danced). What are Dave and Val if not Ceroc teachers? Tas, who taught with Nigel, is a Ceroc teacher, as is Marc - that's over half the teaching team for the day, which I think is a pretty good balance.

If your complaint is that not enough teachers attended the event, then that's just silly - no-one can tell the teachers where they have to be. Maybe the tickets just sold out before the teachers could get hold of them?

As it was, I really enjoyed the evening. It was really nice to have a choice, not only between mainstream and blues but also between different types of blues, and all five DJs did a really cracking job.

robd
29th-January-2007, 01:08 PM
Agree with all that's been said about Funky Lush. Lovely floor and a good sized hall together with great people ensured a top night for me. I have yet to attend a Funky Lush that is anything less than excellent. For consistency, I think it's still the number one event of its type. Utopia may or may not usurp it (and I accept the organisers of both events have some different aspirations for their nights but the constituency of dancers attending is quite similar) but whilst FL continues to be as enjoyable as it has been I will continue to want to be there. What I really can't work out is why, if I dislike Latin dirge so much (and I do), I enjoy FL so much given the amount of Latin music that is played there :confused:

wicked blue
29th-January-2007, 05:52 PM

Had a really great evening, lots of room to dance unlike other venues like Fulham where you can't move! Had some really lovely dances, special thank you to Kev F :nice:

HelenB
29th-January-2007, 07:41 PM
STB photos are about...

http://www.danceportraits.co.uk/gallery2/v/swingingtheblues/

Sparkles
30th-January-2007, 12:32 AM
STB photos are about...

http://www.danceportraits.co.uk/gallery2/v/swingingtheblues/

You sure this isn't confused with the 'hug day' thread? :whistle: ;)

Gus
30th-January-2007, 09:27 AM
:confused: were we at the same event, Gus? (well, ok, I know we were, cos we danced). What are Dave and Val if not Ceroc teachers? Tas, who taught with Nigel, is a Ceroc teacher, as is Marc - that's over half the teaching team for the day, which I think is a pretty good balance. .Ahem ... thats about 3 CTA ... and some indepedant events get a lot more! I was sort of expecting to see the likes of Howard & Nicola, maybe Mike, Wenger etc ... some of the CTA stars .... Not a major point, just thought it was interesting. If CTA guys and gals don't think that a prime CTA event is worth getting out of the bath for ... why should punters? (OK, last comment was ODA, not really what I believe but similar to a comment made to me on Sunday)

Oh ... hate to be luvvy ... but your Blues dancing has come on leaps and bounds :) :) :drool: