PDA

View Full Version : I'm Kicking Off 2007 at .....?

StokeBloke
1st-January-2007, 09:15 PM
It's time to work off that Xmas pud! Everywhere seems to be taking a break for the New Year.

I will be dancing at Walsall tomorrow night (can't wait, I'm getting withdrawl) - what about you... where will you be shaking your thang for the first time in 2007?

Katie Kicks Ass
1st-January-2007, 11:46 PM
I'll probably be starting 2007 at Nantwich tomorrow. If not its stoke next monday.

DJ Beccy
1st-January-2007, 11:55 PM
Knutsford on Wednesday

:cool:

Wouldbe
2nd-January-2007, 12:11 AM
It's time to work off that Xmas pud! Everywhere seems to be taking a break for the New Year.

In the end I went to a Ceroc New Year event (Bromley, Kent) and I don't think I've danced so hard in my life! Certainly sweated more than any gym session has caused! I think I've worked off a whole Christmas pud in advance.

I will be dancing at Walsall tomorrow night (can't wait, I'm getting withdrawl) - what about you... where will you be shaking your thang for the first time in 2007?

Gotta be Salomons in Tunbridge Wells on Wednesday, if I can still stand!

Lynn
2nd-January-2007, 12:17 AM
Belfast on Wed night, then freestyle party on Sat night. :D

Gav
2nd-January-2007, 02:30 AM
the bar, because I can't remember a worse start to a year. :sad:

FoxyFunkster
2nd-January-2007, 08:46 AM
started the new year off at the ice ball(ceroc metro) on new years day at finchely, diehard forumites everywhere!!!!

Little Monkey
2nd-January-2007, 11:42 AM
started the new year off at the ice ball(ceroc metro) on new years day at finchely, diehard forumites everywhere!!!!

So did I.

Absolutely not worth it. It was........ The usual over-crowded London ceroc party, with absolutely no chance of having a dance without sustaining some kind of injury (elbow in head, high heels crunching down on toes, ladies' heads bouncing off you as they are put into dips or drops on a crowded floor by their imbecile dance partners, kicks in the shins..... The usual stuff.:mad: )

The venue was pretty awful, too, but maybe I only noticed this as I sat out most of the time, as I didn't want to commit suicide by attempting to dance in that mad, bouncing crowd..... The floor was brilliant, though! Just such a shame you couldn't enjoy it.:rolleyes: Oh, and the music wasn't too bad.

One thing I'd like to ask, is: Have most people never ever heard of FLOORCRAFT? It's not acceptable to do things like dips and drops on a crowded floor. Walking across the middle of the dance floor to get from one side to the other is an absolute no-no. Standing in the middle of the floor taking up lots of space, chatting to your friends, when people are desperately trying to find some space to dance is WRONG. Bouncing your partner off all other dancers around you, with no regards to her or other dancers' safety, is BAD! And the list goes on....

Oh, and just because you're a good dancer doesn't mean you own the floor, and don't need to take notice of other dancers, either.... In fact, that sort of behaviour makes you a BAD dancer in my eyes, and I don't wish to dance with people like that.

Rant over.

Happy New Year.

LM :rolleyes:

PS - nice to meet some new forunites, though. You're all bonkers!:D

FoxyFunkster
2nd-January-2007, 12:53 PM
PS - nice to meet some new forunites, though. You're all bonkers!:D
more addicted than bonkers methinks, on the subject of floorcraft, it`s not easy to develop skills like dancing on a packed dance floor when the said circumstance only happens a few times per year, the floor was clearing by midnight so the last hour was dips,drop and seduces time! happy dancing to y`all.......i`m off to moonglow tonight.......anyone coming???

SuzyQ
2nd-January-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm starting the year off at my regular venue Fleet and then at Hipsters on Friday!
Yipee!

CentrAlex
2nd-January-2007, 04:08 PM
I was at Ice too...ice to meet you little monkey..and trouble..tiggerbabe..freya..rhythmking..and everyone else that I cant remember...sorry!! too drunk!! :yum:

Apart from little monkeys rant as above, I had a really good night...I managed to find some space sometimes and I think I managed to not chuck my partners into anyone...I was trying to dodge the masses! Sorry to anyone who i did bump into though and for those of you that trod on me...grrr :angry: lol...forgiven!

wicked night...mad one at wittys after...not much sleep had by all :clap: ...except me...I kept everyone awake with my snorig so they tell me but I think they are lying!!

Anyways...speak to you soooon peeps xxx :worthy:

Dai
2nd-January-2007, 04:27 PM
Well i thought Ice was brilliant - i had a great night - lots of dances with some of my fav dancers. I managed not to get trodden on, and dance with lots of new people too!!

it was really good to meet all the forumites too.

Hope to see you all soon

Lou
2nd-January-2007, 04:39 PM
.....Maybe Shenley. Tonight. Anyone else?

Paulthetrainer
2nd-January-2007, 05:09 PM
Wednesday night at Salomons.

TurboTomato
2nd-January-2007, 05:16 PM
Wednesday night at Salomons.

:yeah: Looking forward to it :D

cheeks
2nd-January-2007, 05:47 PM

Have some hugs hun

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Mine is a long vodka then babes!!!!

JiveLad
2nd-January-2007, 05:59 PM
I was at Ice - and you can see my report at http://ceroc.blogspot.com/

Fletch did end up borrowing my wig - and I thought she looked quite alluring with jet black hair. Some of the stories she told me were definitely for the upstairs section.

Yes it was very crowded - and the best time to dance was when everyone piled out to get a cup of tea.

:nice:

PS And I realise that I must change my name on this forum as it is unpronounceable. Is that possible?

Frankie_4711
2nd-January-2007, 06:41 PM
Sittingbourne on Wednesday will be my first this year (apart from the after midnight bit at the Bromley NYE do)

SeriouslyAddicted
2nd-January-2007, 09:23 PM

Poor you - here have a :hug:

I shall be dancing at Salomans tomorrow - meant to be dancing tonight but got the back to work blues so sitting here feeling sorry for myself instead

littlewiggle
2nd-January-2007, 09:32 PM
Kicking off 2007 at Peterborough on Thursday :nice:

Happy New Year everyone and I'm looking forward to some fab dances.

Double Trouble
2nd-January-2007, 09:35 PM
I cant get out until Friday 19th :tears:

Anyone got any suggestions for that night? I dont suppose Ashtons is on that night is it?

Trouble
2nd-January-2007, 09:54 PM

Anyone got any suggestions for that night? I dont suppose Ashtons is on that night is it?

Im sure something will be on but wherever you go, i'll be following, removing blunt spoons and forks from my head for the evening.... :D

My first day for 2007 dancing was spent at Ice last night, Whetstone or whatever its called. Must say found the whole thing a bit of a nightmare, floor was packed to the hilt and extremely uncomfortable.

Highlights of the night though were meeting Tor (Dai) and centralex amongst a load of new forumites that i have not met before. It was lovely to put some faces to the names but i must say, I was treated by Tor with the best female lead i ever had and that is no exageration. Made my night and she says she is shy to ask women PLEASE DONT BE, YOUR DEPRIVING THEM OF A FANTASTIC DANCE....:respect:

I also had the great opportunity of danicng with Alex, which i must say was lovely. :flower: (thanks Becs for the intro's again)

Hope to see you all again soon.xxx :flower: :flower:

fletch
2nd-January-2007, 11:46 PM
Highlights of the night though were meeting Tor (Dai) I was treated by Tor with the best female lead i ever had and that is no exageration. Made my night and she says she is shy to ask women PLEASE DONT BE, YOUR DEPRIVING THEM OF A FANTASTIC DANCE....:respect:

:

:yeah:

I don't think Dai should ask any other girls :D and then we can keep her to ourselves, thats IS there loss :worthy:

Dai
3rd-January-2007, 12:00 AM
:blush: :blush: Awwwwwwwwwwwwww you guys:blush: :blush:

Thanks

Spin dryer
3rd-January-2007, 01:39 AM
I spent the first 90 minutes of 2007 at Berko. Fab.

Tonight I'll be at Kensington Dance Studio for a ballroom and latin class, followed by the freestyle at Wessex House, Battersea. All this is a warm up for the best of all the regular nights, Fulham on Thursday.

Caz
3rd-January-2007, 01:39 AM
I was at Ice too...ice to meet you little monkey..and trouble..tiggerbabe..freya..rhythmking..and everyone else that I cant remember...sorry!! too drunk!! :yum:

wicked night...mad one at wittys after...not much sleep had by all :clap: ...except me...I kept everyone awake with my snorig so they tell me but I think they are lying!!

Anyways...speak to you soooon peeps xxx :worthy:

Spent night at Ice too with CentrAlex, Witty, Fletch, Dai, Jamie, and too many other people to mention!

Met loads of forumites - as above - thanx CentrAlex for listing them all for me!! great to meet so many fellow dancers - hope 2 c u all again soon xxxx:cheers:

Dai
3rd-January-2007, 02:25 AM
I don't think Dai should ask any other girls :D and then we can keep her to ourselves, thats IS there loss :worthy:

You can have me all to yourself anytime you like - just need to know when and where!! :wink:

Jamie
3rd-January-2007, 02:50 AM
But Dai!! I'll get jealous!! You're one of my favorite men! :love:

Dai
3rd-January-2007, 02:56 AM
and you are one of my favourite women!!

Sheepman
3rd-January-2007, 03:14 PM
on the subject of floorcraft, it`s not easy to develop skills like dancing on a packed dance floor when the said circumstance only happens a few times per year, So how come the former taxi at that venue that I danced with told me she doesn't go there any more, because it is always so crowded? Anyway I don't think you need a packed venue in order to develop the skill of looking where you're sending your partner before you lead her there, or checking behind before you step back. :mad:

Anyone got any suggestions for that night? A bit further afield, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of dance space at Oxford that night, where Jive+ are running a night with 2 rooms, Nigel DJing in the main room, and me in the "blues/WCS/latin/whatever the crowd that turns up wants" room!

Greg

Leila
3rd-January-2007, 03:55 PM
Ill be at Peterborough tomorrow (thursday) have been getting withdrawl symptoms!

David Bailey
3rd-January-2007, 04:04 PM
A bit further afield, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of dance space at Oxford that night, where Jive+ are running a night with 2 rooms, Nigel DJing in the main room, and me in the "blues/WCS/latin/whatever the crowd that turns up wants" room!

Hmmm, if it's anything like Aylesbury a couple of months ago, it'll be weirdo fast lindy music all night... :sad:

StokeBloke
3rd-January-2007, 04:06 PM
Hmmm, if it's anything like Aylesbury a couple of months ago, it'll be weirdo fast lindy music all night... :sad:
Did you ask for any requests David? The DJs sometimes play them :wink:

David Bailey
3rd-January-2007, 04:15 PM
Did you ask for any requests David? The DJs sometimes play them :wink:
Yeah, I asked them to stop playing weirdo fast stuff.
They didn't.

Little Monkey
3rd-January-2007, 10:34 PM

Not if Sheepy's djing...........

Oh, and thanks to all the people who have given me rep for my big rant lately. Unfortunately I only know who one of you are, as only one person signed their rep comments! I'm glad there's lots of you who thought ICE wasn't very good, and agree with me on the lack of floorcraft.:rolleyes:

Yogi_Bear
3rd-January-2007, 10:43 PM
...probably not until Sunday the 14th at Pudsey (will be in Leeds for the weekend anyway)...unless I get withdrawal symptoms this weekend. Then on the 27th there are too many choices, including Swinging the Blues in Chiswick and Funky Lush at Hatfield....

MartinHarper
3rd-January-2007, 10:49 PM
Am I the only one who's not danced yet in 2007?

I don't think you need a packed venue in order to develop the skill of looking where you're sending your partner before you lead her there, or checking behind before you step back.

I think I do. If there's lots of space, nobody will be behind me when I step back. If there's lots of space it's easy to lead my partner away from other dancers. If there's lots of space I never need to learn to dance small. If there's lots of space I won't be consciously thinking about floorcraft (probably consciously thinking about leading, or music, or my partner instead).

Gav
4th-January-2007, 12:48 AM

Well I was with you until tonight. Just had my first AT lesson ever followed by catching the freestyle at a ceroc venue. :cool:

Tortoise
4th-January-2007, 12:58 AM

Your not alone i have not managed to get out and try my new shoes either as yet.

Dai
4th-January-2007, 01:50 AM

Your not alone i have not managed to get out and try my new shoes either as yet.

I've had two dances - Monday at ICE and tonight in Nottingham :na: :na:

Tiggerbabe
4th-January-2007, 02:12 AM
3 for me :D Monday Ice, Tuesday Jumpin Jaks, Glasgow and tonight Dundee Ice Arena :clap:

TheTramp
4th-January-2007, 06:00 AM
4 for me. Monday Ice, Tuesday on the Wirral, Wednesday in Newcastle, Thursday in Glasgow.

Friday I get home, and sleep :D

Cruella
4th-January-2007, 10:53 AM

Nope. I haven't either. But just think how much more you'll enjoy it when you do. A bit of abstinence does you good. :wink:

jivecat
4th-January-2007, 08:32 PM

No. First dance of 2007 will be the tango practica on Saturday. Might go to Bulwell on Saturday night. Might not.

Lynn
4th-January-2007, 10:16 PM
Belfast on Wed night, then freestyle party on Sat night. :DJust made it down for the last 50 mins last night but was glad I did. Lots of fun dances, nearly ended up sitting down mid dance with Drathzel 'cos I was laughing so much! (At myself, not her)

Due to various circumstances, I was really, really ready for some dancing and chill out time. Looking forward to Saturday now.

Beowulf
5th-January-2007, 12:45 PM
Had a bit of a bad night at Ealing on NYE and it left me a little unsure if dancing was really for me.. but I know that t he best thing to do is to stick in more and work though this, so I'll be back dancing as normal on Tuesday 9th in Aberdeen.

I need a LOT more practice. taking these dancing breaks is not doing me (or my poor partners) any favours. :rolleyes:

Marc Forster
5th-January-2007, 02:05 PM
St Neots tonight. We figured on booking both halls for the freestyle. Smooth Latin and Blues upstairs from 9.15 to 12.15. If it works, this could become a regular fixture.

TurboTomato
5th-January-2007, 02:07 PM
Had a bit of a bad night at Ealing on NYE and it left me a little unsure if dancing was really for me.. but I know that t he best thing to do is to stick in more and work though this, so I'll be back dancing as normal on Tuesday 9th in Aberdeen.

I need a LOT more practice. taking these dancing breaks is not doing me (or my poor partners) any favours. :rolleyes:

Aye Beo, get back on that horse mate! We all have nights where you think your dancing has gone to pot, but stick at it :hug:

FunkyAngel
5th-January-2007, 02:29 PM
I spent the first 90 minutes of 2007 at Berko. Fab. Tonight I'll be at Kensington Dance Studio for a ballroom and latin class, followed by the freestyle at Wessex House, Battersea. All this is a warm up for the best of all the regular nights, Fulham on Thursday.

So far the very beginning of 2007 was at Berko (just lovely), ICE (fab floor but too packed for me until the last hour or so), Windsor on Wednesday (quiet but had some lovely dances).

And Fulham for the first time ever this Thursday (well, first time this decade). Despite all of the dire warnings I've heard, I had a lovely night - loads of nice dancers, got asked to dance plenty of times and didn't get turned down once.:grin: Which is pretty unusual for any venue. So either it's all vicious rumours or all of the hotshots were having a night off.

FunkyAngel

StokeBloke
5th-January-2007, 02:33 PM
Aye Beo, get back on that horse mate! We all have nights where you think your dancing has gone to pot, but stick at it :hug:
Couldn't agree more!!! Wednesday I just kept going blank! It was horrible, and the more I tried to concentrate the worse it seemed to get :tears: :tears: :tears:

Yesterday however, I turned up to the Pavilion in Wolverhampton with my dance shoes and a lump in my throat... but I need not have worried. I had a blast - great beginner and intermediate routines that I picked up real easy and I even got to dance with Juju :D :D

P.S. Come to Wolverhampton Pavilion on a Thursday night it's great fun :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: