PDA

View Full Version : First weekend of 2007 - 5th/6th/7th - London & SE

SuzyQ
1st-January-2007, 02:53 PM
So what are we all up to?!

I'm thinking along the lines of hipsters on Friday and Twyford on Saturday ...

Anyone else?

SuzyQ
1st-January-2007, 03:04 PM
Is it me or are there not many options for this weekend in London/SE?! If I've missed any ... can they be added later?!

Miguel
1st-January-2007, 04:42 PM
Is it me or are there not many options for this weekend in London/SE?! If I've missed any ... can they be added later?!

Also:
Fri 5th - Chimes
Fri 5th - Casbah
Sat 6th - Watford Freestyle
http://www.ceroclondon.com/diary.htm

Sorry, don't know how to add them.

Double Trouble
1st-January-2007, 04:53 PM
Cheshunt is on, on Friday.....It's a great night if you like the smell of moth balls.

Average age.........136.

It's my favourite venue. :D

Trousers
2nd-January-2007, 05:03 PM
Fri 5th - Casbah

Does anyone still go to the Casbah?

The times i went (quite often as well) it was a war zone.
The average punter had the floor craft of five legged Hippo and I just got totally naffed off with it.

Having said that there are a number of HotShots that frequent Hipsters and Ashtons freestyles that dance their moves regardless of space and bodies around them, but those venues stay on later and the numbers do drop eventually!

Shame that never gets any better, year in, year out.

:eek: :tears:

jockey
2nd-January-2007, 09:00 PM

The times i went (quite often as well) it was a war zone.
The average punter had the floor craft of five legged Hippo and I just got totally naffed off with it.

Having said that there are a number of HotShots that frequent Hipsters and Ashtons freestyles that dance their moves regardless of space and bodies around them, but those venues stay on later and the numbers do drop eventually!

Shame that never gets any better, year in, year out.

:eek: :tears:
Last time I was there (uhm 18 months) it was 16 men on..!! And, yes, floorcraft non existent. However I had a great dance there with Carol (has partnered Viktor, et al) once so has special place..

under par
3rd-January-2007, 04:54 AM
Mrs Par and I will visiting BFF at Ealing on Friday night (so long as my car is back on the road!!)

But on Saturday I will be flying solo to Bookham .......

under par
3rd-January-2007, 08:26 AM
Mrs Par and I will visiting BFF at Ealing on Friday night (so long as my car is back on the road!!)

But on Saturday I will be flying solo to Bookham .......

I have just checked my e-mails and it is BOOKHAM this weekend and not Leatherhead until next weekend could the moderators please amend the poll.

SuzyQ
3rd-January-2007, 02:57 PM
Ah UK jive was wrong when I looked then!

Sheepman
3rd-January-2007, 02:58 PM
I have just checked my e-mails and it is BOOKHAM this weekend
Have you got your place booked Paul? This weekend's Bookham is combined with a private birthday party, so the number of places is very limited.

Greg

under par
3rd-January-2007, 03:43 PM
Have you got your place booked Paul? This weekend's Bookham is combined with a private birthday party, so the number of places is very limited.

Greg

Yes thankyou Sheepy ..... sent my e-mail a few days ago... see you there:cheers:

marty_baby
3rd-January-2007, 04:59 PM
The average punter had the floor craft of five legged Hippo

:rofl: That is funny!

Must try to remember that phrase! :D

under par
5th-January-2007, 11:28 AM
Its gonna be a very quiet weekend in London with only 13 voters from forum expecting to go out on Friday and Saturday..... unless some of you are sitting on the fence (ouch it hurts!).... waiting for someone else to decide eh!!:whistle:

fletch
5th-January-2007, 02:12 PM
NO I have used up all my baby sitters this weekend :tears:

I won't be a ealing this Friday, 1st one I have missed in ages :sad:

I am going to Bromsgrove 't' dance Sunday with the children so i will get a dance at some point this weekend :clap:

Don't have toooooo much fun without me :cheers: :wink:

WittyBird
5th-January-2007, 02:15 PM
Don't have toooooo much fun without me :cheers: :wink:

If it's any help, Ealing was a pile of poo, the BBC didn't film any of us and It was only women that turned up thinking it was a star trek convention.

:innocent:

OoooOOooOoOOOO I can't wait getting excited now, just need to make a decision on which combats to wear:whistle:

fletch
5th-January-2007, 02:24 PM
If it's any help, Ealing was a pile of poo, the BBC didn't film any of us and It was only women that turned up thinking it was a star trek convention.

:innocent:

OoooOOooOoOOOO I can't wait getting excited now, just need to make a decision on which combats to wear:whistle:

Beam me up scotty :D

I think you should wear pink :wink:

every one is stopping in cos they have no money after Xmas :rolleyes: I need to keep telling myself it won't be good:sick: I had such good dances over Xmas and New Year I don't wan't to loose it :tears:

stewart38
5th-January-2007, 02:39 PM
Its gonna be a very quiet weekend in London with only 13 voters from forum expecting to go out on Friday and Saturday..... unless some of you are sitting on the fence (ouch it hurts!).... waiting for someone else to decide eh!!:whistle:

Berko looks to be my first new year dance , not on there, i assume its on ?

Dai
5th-January-2007, 02:41 PM
I can't go either - i was going to try to make the ealing ones this year - having only recently discovered them, hopefully next month.

Rachel
5th-January-2007, 02:46 PM
Berko looks to be my first new year dance , not on there, i assume its on ?Yes, it's on - we'll be there.

every one is stopping in cos they have no money after Xmas :rolleyes: ...Don't say that - I'm desperate for somewhere to go on Saturday & can't find anywhere I fancy. (Really wanted to try Bookham for the first time, but it's fully booked ... :tears: )

Have a great time at Bromsgrove, though, Fletch. See you soon!
R. xx

Rhythm King
5th-January-2007, 04:46 PM
Definitely going to Hipsters- haven't been for ages. Hope to go to Twyford, depending on the transport situation.

fletch
5th-January-2007, 04:48 PM
Don't say that - I'm desperate for somewhere to go on Saturday & can't find anywhere I fancy. (Really wanted to try Bookham for the first time, but it's fully booked ... :tears: )

Have a great time at Bromsgrove, though, Fletch. See you soon!
R. xx

I did notice you were thinking of going to Wythall if I could have got a sitter i would have gone there, I think BARMPOT will go to Wythall

see you soon Rachel

xxxxx:hug:

Yliander
5th-January-2007, 05:21 PM
Twyford for me - nice and close to home

JiveLad
5th-January-2007, 05:53 PM
All being well, should be:

Fri: Cheshunt
Sat:Watford
Sun: Berko

Making a nice 5 nights out of 7 in the 1st week of 2007.

How do I recognise fourmites or forurmettes and the odd forumista at Cheshunt?

I seem to remember so famous ones go there........?

SuzyQ
5th-January-2007, 06:26 PM
Warning everyone going to Hipsters tonight - apparently there is going to be a BBC film crew there!!

David Bailey
5th-January-2007, 09:53 PM
I shall wear my finest black T-shirt.

You can usually tell who knows this in advance, they're the ones who glam up :rofl:

under par
6th-January-2007, 09:36 AM
Warning everyone going to Hipsters tonight - apparently there is going to be a BBC film crew there!!

Quite inobtrusive a single camera man with a hand held wandering around the dance floor taking shots from all angles, looked like lots of shots of feet and footwork ... apart from that I hardly noticed him.

Lucky for Cruella he was looking the other way whislt we danced eh!!:blush: :blush:

SuzyQ
6th-January-2007, 12:41 PM
Hmm some people glam up ... some deliberately don't ... then find themselves managing to flash their bra every 5 mins ... oops! Think I escaped the camera - wouldn't have been a good night to make my TV debut!!

Was quite a good night, but it was a lot more crowded than previous months (ooo wonder why that was?!). Had some terrible rip your arm off dances .. which put me in such a bad mood!!

Had a few lovely dances though ... glass half full, glass half full ...

under par
7th-January-2007, 11:55 AM
Excellent night last night at Bookham, nice to see a few forumites there too.

2 rooms with John Miller and our very own Andy Mc on the decks...

plenty of room in the swing and blues room though why anyone would want to play Zoot Suit Riot :confused: whistle:

and a pleasant surprise the price of drinks a 2 litre bottle of Evian water 75 pence.... result!!!! ... I bought 2.

NOW who is going to BERKO tonight ??? Mrs Par and I may well be up that way!

Cruella
7th-January-2007, 12:20 PM
Quite inobtrusive a single camera man with a hand held wandering around the dance floor taking shots from all angles, looked like lots of shots of feet and footwork ... apart from that I hardly noticed him.

Lucky for Cruella he was looking the other way whislt we danced eh!!:blush: :blush:

But I got a starring role later in the evening. :blush: Franco asked if i would partner him during his interview. Autographs will be given to all those that ask nicely. :rofl:
I had a fantastic night, one of my best ever at Hipsters. Jons music was much more to my taste than it had been lately. I don't think it was as busy as it has been in the past, :confused: I didn't seem to get bashed like I normally do. Although I was part of a duel between 2 great men fighting over the same space. They spent the whole track having a dance off, which was fun (far better than getting stroppy with each other)
It always amazes me, how we can be at the same venue but have such different opinions of the night. :rolleyes:

SuzyQ
7th-January-2007, 12:52 PM
Hipsters: I watched on as all my favourite men danced with everyone else apart from me (with the exception of one or two including under par - thank you!!!) ... and graciously put up with having my arms ripped from their sockets by the others.

Twyford: Some fantastic dances and most of my best dancing friends were there ... so brilliant all round. Ended the evening with a big grin on my face :D

Yipee for Twyford!

SuzyQ

Freya
7th-January-2007, 03:46 PM
I had a fantastic night at Hipsters! Was dancing all evening and only had one very strange dance with one guy!!!!

It was great to see so many familiar faces in one place!

Thanx for all my dances people! :hug:

Oh and I got home to Aberdeen safe and sound!

Andy McGregor
7th-January-2007, 04:02 PM
though why anyone would want to play Zoot Suit Riot :confused: whistle: I was just following the brief, I was told it was a swing and blues room and to play some tracks for the Lindy Hoppers and Balboa dancers - I've never played Zoot Suit Riot before and hadn't even listened to my version all the way through! Luckily it worked :phew: Also, I did get on the microphone and ask if anyone wanted me to play it - quite a few people shouted "YES". In my defence, I was asked to step do this gig on Thursday night so I didn't get much time to prepare for the Lindy Hoppers, etc. Of course, playing swing and blues for MJers is easy - I just play the music I love.

However, I did notice that UP stayed in my room most of the night - you couldn't miss him :wink: This does illustrate that well known phenomenon of playing a great set with one track somebody doesn't like. What do they mention first, the one track they didn't like :tears:

To be fair, I also played Safronia B and a few other mental tracks :whistle:

Lynn
7th-January-2007, 04:41 PM
plenty of room in the swing and blues room though why anyone would want to play Zoot Suit Riot :confused: whistle: Drathzel played it as the bonus track last night after the lights had gone up and we were the only ones dancing. I just about made it to the end of the track!

under par
7th-January-2007, 05:17 PM
I was just following the brief, I was told it was a swing and blues room and to play some tracks for the Lindy Hoppers and Balboa dancers - I've never played Zoot Suit Riot before and hadn't even listened to my version all the way through! Luckily it worked :phew: Also, I did get on the microphone and ask if anyone wanted me to play it - quite a few people shouted "YES". In my defence, I was asked to step do this gig on Thursday night so I didn't get much time to prepare for the Lindy Hoppers, etc. Of course, playing swing and blues for MJers is easy - I just play the music I love.

However, I did notice that UP stayed in my room most of the night - you couldn't miss him :wink: This does illustrate that well known phenomenon of playing a great set with one track somebody doesn't like. What do they mention first, the one track they didn't like :tears:

To be fair, I also played Safronia B and a few other mental tracks :whistle:

I hope you're not getting all defensive on me Andy, I didn't even say you were the culprit:whistle:

I enjoyed both rooms and only moved out of the Swing and Blues room when fast swing was being played generally.
I haven't quite got the energy or footwork nor does that genre "do it" for me personally. You and John both played sets that I would travel a distance to hear so :na: :na: :na:

Mostlysane
7th-January-2007, 07:15 PM
I had a fantastic night at Hipsters! Was dancing all evening and only had one very strange dance with one guy!!!!

I hope you're not talking about our "bouncy" dance. :grin: That is such hard work. Knowing our luck, that'll be the one they show on the Beeb.

Brilliant to see you again, such a shame you couldn't stay down for Twyford on Saturday. Now that was a GREAT night out.

I guess that means it must be my turn to come and visit you next.

Mr Cool
7th-January-2007, 07:30 PM
I had a great night at Bookhams as always great DANCE music. I Missed John Ford great DJ I love Swing and blues but Andy was superb and played
played a great set:respect:
Bookhams is such a friendly venue great to see Under Par there:cheers: (sorry didnt get chance to wish you happy new year too busy dancing) sorry I missed Zoot Suit riot. a dancers classic :mad: personally I prefer a good mix of slow medium and fast music designed for dancing myself. rather than one pace R&B all night :cheers:
:waycool: :waycool: :waycool: