PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano

Lucy Locket
28th-December-2006, 12:33 PM
Have mastered downloading music, but can someone explain adding contacts, thought it would be a good idea to have all my mobile numbers stored somewhere else in case i ever lose my phone.

And how do the radio, calendar, notes work please ???

Dreadful Scathe
28th-December-2006, 12:57 PM
no idea, iPods are beautifully crafted evil :)

ducasi
28th-December-2006, 01:15 PM
As a Mac-using iPod owner, I can't really help much – for us it uses your "Address Book" contacts, and iCal calendar.

For Notes, you need to "enable disk use" on your iPod using iTunes, if you haven't already, and then use can use NotePad to create notes and save then in the "Notes" folder on the iPod.

For a radio, you need the radio remote (http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodnano/accessories.html) – and as I don't have one, I can't help further.

Hope this helps some. :)

FoxyFunkster
28th-December-2006, 02:26 PM
Have mastered downloading music, but can someone explain adding contacts, thought it would be a good idea to have all my mobile numbers stored somewhere else in case i ever lose my phone.

Your best bet is too download to relevant software for your mobile phone onto your laptop/PC then you can automatically download your contacts from your mobile and store them on your PC....hope that helps

Clive Long
4th-January-2007, 12:08 PM

Ah. Address Book Backup. Happy memories ... :whistle:

Anyway.

Some options.

Probably the simplest. What phone handset do you have Loose?

if your handset is relatively recent there should be a "PC Suite" you can install on your PC. Then connect the phone using IR, Bluetooth or a cable. Then in the PC suite you should be able to back up the contacts to a simple file or sync with the suite's address book or sync with Outlook

I prefer using the phone based contact rather than the SIM as the capacity is higher and the range of attributes for the contact is richer than on a SIM card. With the larger range of attributes, synchronisation between phone and Outlook becomes a useful thing to do. Of course, back up your PC data to a memory stick or CD or DVD or external hard drives (lots of good advice somewhere on the forum for that - I'm too busy to search).

A newer, standards based alternative is SyncML but I haven't looked at the product set.

If you have a Windows CE/Mobile/ Todays label device then ActiveSync (4.1 or later) will do the job. Seems like a MSoft proprietory ( :rolleyes: ) alternative to SyncML to me - I'm sure someone will point out the minute errors in that claim.

A retail shop for the operator of your phone might have the kit to back up your SIM or phone and store online. The pain is everytime you add a contact its back to the shop. Not viable if you ask me.

PhoneSync did the job well but their site seems to be "inactive" and I can't find the O2 site link to them.

If you use Yahoo mail have a look at http://sites.mobile.yahoo.com/clife. Maybe other Web-based mail services do similar things.

Work out whether you just want to back up your phone contacts (a good thing) or to integrate and "synchronise" all your contacts across multiple devices, in near-real time (a better thing in theory - but maddeningly complex in practice when dealing with different data stores and record formats).

Oh yeah. I would recommend a particular network operator but this post would be expunged for advertising.

Good luck. Let me know what you did and how well it worked.

Clive

killingtime
4th-January-2007, 03:57 PM

Contacts and calendar only support Outlook as the program to fetch from. No help to me. If you enable disk usage you can copy notes and maybe contacts and calendars directly (if you have .ics files littering your system :/). Haven't tried directly adding those though so I'm not sure.

killingtime
10th-January-2007, 01:17 PM
Contacts and calendar only support Outlook as the program to fetch from. No help to me. If you enable disk usage you can copy notes and maybe contacts and calendars directly (if you have .ics files littering your system :/). Haven't tried directly adding those though so I'm not sure.

Replying to myself, sad.

I looked into it and you can indeed enable disk usage and copy calendars and contacts directly. I was going to write a script that fetched my gmail calendar and put it on my iPod but I doubt I'll be able to attach that to a "when the iPod is connected" event. You can just do it manually though and if your contacts are relatively unchanging then this might be a way to go about it.

Simon
17th-February-2007, 05:09 PM
One annoying thing that I can't seem to fix is that when I manually change the order of tracks in the playlists stored on the Nano (whilst it's plugged into iTunes) these changes don't seem to be saved to the iPod itself with the track orders remaining unchanged when I unplug and scroll through the iPod. Has anyone else encountered or solved this? :flower:

WittyBird
17th-February-2007, 05:50 PM
One annoying thing that I can't seem to fix is that when I manually change the order of tracks in the playlists stored on the Nano (whilst it's plugged into iTunes) these changes don't seem to be saved to the iPod itself with the track orders remaining unchanged when I unplug and scroll through the iPod. Has anyone else encountered or solved this? :flower:

Are you manually updating the iPod also?
When you changed the tracks round, right click on Devices and goto Sync - it should then update the iPod with the changes made, it then will only switch them if you put it on shuffle/random

HTH :flower: