PDA

View Full Version : New Posts since your last visit

TheTramp
21st-December-2006, 02:21 PM
Hiya Franck

Would it be possible to have 'unread posts'. Rather than new posts since last visit. Or both.

Does anyone else think that'd be more useful?

David Bailey
21st-December-2006, 03:15 PM
Does anyone else think that'd be more useful?
I don't understand - don't you get that anyway, with the two sections in the "New posts" display? :confused:

What are you looking for?

Lory
21st-December-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't understand - don't you get that anyway,

:yeah: That's what I get :)

Lynn
21st-December-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't understand - don't you get that anyway, with the two sections in the "New posts" display? :confused: I presume Trampy means the one at the top with the number of new posts. If there have been 9 new posts since my last visit and I go and read 5 of them - if no more new posts have been made it still says 9 new posts.

Ie it lists all the new posts, regardless of whether you have read them, or even made them, yourself.

TheTramp
21st-December-2006, 03:36 PM
Sorry. Meant the number of posts. At the top of the front screen....

David Bailey
21st-December-2006, 03:47 PM
I presume Trampy means the one at the top with the number of new posts. If there have been 9 new posts since my last visit and I go and read 5 of them - if no more new posts have been made it still says 9 new posts.

Ie it lists all the new posts, regardless of whether you have read them, or even made them, yourself.
Oh right - yes, I get that too.

I believe that's what techies call a "bug" :)

My workaround is to click "mark forums read", that resets the counter.

ducasi
21st-December-2006, 03:51 PM
It's not a bug – it's simply easier for it to calculate how many "new posts" there are, rather than how many unread posts there are.

Not as useful, but there you go... :)

David Bailey
21st-December-2006, 03:57 PM
It's not a bug – it's simply easier for it to calculate how many "new posts" there are, rather than how many unread posts there are.

OK, then, it's not a bug, it's a "usability inconsistency" between the "new posts" number listed, and the number of "new posts" provided when you press the, err, "new posts" button.

TheTramp
21st-December-2006, 04:03 PM

Indeed. That's why I wondered if it could be changed to something a little more useful... :flower:

ducasi
21st-December-2006, 04:26 PM
OK, then, it's not a bug, it's a "usability inconsistency" between the "new posts" number listed, and the number of "new posts" provided when you press the, err, "new posts" button. Not really, because it's not the the number of "new posts", it's the number of "new posts since your last visit."

Indeed. That's why I wondered if it could be changed to something a little more useful... :flower: Consider the case of someone with "new posts" in maybe one hundred threads... (Not unreasonable, considering there is normally around that number of active threads over a few days.)

In order to calculate the number of new posts it needs to examine each one of those threads and figure out how many posts you have not read. So that will be one hundred complex database queries to perform for *every* page you visit.

In comparison, calculating how many "new since ..." posts is a single query.

If you want the forum to run a hundred times slower, perhaps we can put a feature request in to the authors. :)