PDA

View Full Version : SDF Axed

David Bailey
21st-December-2006, 01:15 PM
From here (http://www.lse.co.uk/TVNews.asp?Code=RP126144J&headline=strictly_dance_fever_axed) - no more Graham Norton taking the mickey out of dancers, alas.

I'll wipe away my tears, yet somehow find the strength to carry on living regardless. :D

Mind you - the bookies have him as one of the favourites to replace Bruce on SCD next time :eek: :sick:

Lynn
21st-December-2006, 01:30 PM
Mind you - the bookies have him as one of the favourites to replace Bruce on SCD next time :eek: :sick:No, no, no! He's almost the worst person to host a dancing show. Is there some appeal we can sign to stop the BBC even comtemplating this?

Dreadful Scathe
21st-December-2006, 01:43 PM
From here (http://www.lse.co.uk/TVNews.asp?Code=RP126144J&headline=strictly_dance_fever_axed) - no more Graham Norton taking the mickey out of dancers, alas.

It was dire, the first series was pretty good overall but spoiled by dodgy camera work. The second one I gave up after the 1st show as it seem to have become the demon child of the x-factor with all the good things from the 1st series stripped out. Maybe it got better, I dunno, I didnt care to find out :)

Graham Norton isnt the best choice for any serious program and Bruce has 10 times the gravitas ;)

COME ON THE BRUCE!! :)

TheTramp
21st-December-2006, 01:55 PM
Scarily, I have to agree that even Bruce would be better....! :eek:

Lynn
21st-December-2006, 01:59 PM
Graham Norton isnt the best choice for any serious program and Bruce has 10 times the gravitas ;) And, if you saw SCD last night, the dancers like him as he knows something about dancing and really understands and appreciates the hard work they put in.

ducasi
21st-December-2006, 03:54 PM
Perhaps Nigel and co. can bring "So You Think You Can Dance" to the UK...

djtrev
21st-December-2006, 04:04 PM
I have a feeling that I am going to be on my own on this one,never mind
,hey ho.

I think Bruce Forsyth is dreadful.
He has had his day,he cant do anything without cue cards and his delivery is shocking.He is a condescending,patronizing,egotistical has been.

TheTramp
21st-December-2006, 04:05 PM
He has had his day,he cant do anything without cue cards and his delivery is shocking.He is a condescending,patronizing,egotistical has been.

:yeah:

But he's still better than Graham Norton.... :flower:

Sparkles
21st-December-2006, 04:07 PM

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
And he's a dirty old man to boot!

Maybe GN wouldn't be the best person to replace him, but I'm sure there would be someone out there much more suited to the job than either of these two people... :rolleyes:

marty_baby
21st-December-2006, 04:16 PM
Oh thats actually a real shame!

It was a chance for people from all walks of life, without any kind of classical dance upbringing to "give it a go." Would I "give it a go" - no way! :rofl: But I admire those that do! :)

Shame SDF is going. It was a program that gave people a chance to live their dancing dream - and for the mass public to share the journey with them .....and if Darrien and Holly are anthing to go by - Nice down to earth people at that!

Darrien and holly did a showcase at the Western Ball This month - it was fab!

They were a lovely couple - not hotshots at all. Its so nice to see top dancers loving dancing - with anyone and to whatever music!

Gareth (One of the bristol Dancers) had the balls to ask Hollie for a dance - she was smilling and looked liked she was having a whale of a time.... that started the avalanche.... all the rest of us boyos started asking - I'm don't know if she left the dance floor again for a while! :hug:

...my pennies worth on SDF
.... I'll close the door on my way out.... :rofl:

Martin x

David Bailey
21st-December-2006, 04:17 PM
Who would you rather have?

Bear in mind the current front-runners are Vernon "floppy hair" Kay and Graham "Dance-killer" Norton.

We may look back on Bruce's tenure as the Golden Age...

I'm trying to think of anyone who could do a good job, and who's had any involvement with dancing. And I can't.

If Bruce goes, chance are it'll be given to a random "TV presenter" who has no discernable skills or interest in dancing.

My ideal replacements would be Anton Du Beke and Angela Ripppn.

Any other suggestions?

TheTramp
21st-December-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm trying to think of anyone who could do a good job, and who's had any involvement with dancing. And I can't.

Is the implication here that you don't think that Anton and Angela would do a good job? Or that you'd changed your mind by the time you'd written the line that used to be in between those....

Sparkles
21st-December-2006, 04:22 PM

It scares me that our minds work in simlar ways :eek: - I was just about to mention these two myself (although I think Anton would prefer to be on the dancefloor 'dancing' rather than 'talking' - actually, scrap that, as long as he's on the TV I don't think he'll be too bothered :rolleyes: ).

Natasha Kaplinsky didn't do too bad a job standing in for Tess in the past, maybe she'd be a good person to host it?

Dreadful Scathe
21st-December-2006, 04:23 PM
I have a feeling that I am going to be on my own on this one,never mind
,hey ho.

takes one to know one, eh ;)

he still manages the odd good ad-lib, though I dont think he can read the autocue as fast as he used to be able to.

I vote Phillip Schofield :)

djtrev
21st-December-2006, 04:31 PM
I cannot see why the presenter has to be an 'entertainer' because they will all have a tendancy to take over the show,when the real stars are the dancers.
The other point with SCD is the judges.How can you have four internationally known judges that contradict each others opinions so much and still expect the general public to take any real notice of what they say.Contrived television at its worst.Thank heaven for the contestants.At leasty their effort,committment and ability is genuine.

djtrev
21st-December-2006, 04:49 PM
takes one to know one, eh ;)........

I am not sure what you are getting at here DS.I might have missed something me thinks.

Yes I suppose I would have to agree that I can be somewhat patronizing but definately not egotistical.
If some of the posts on this forum are a benchmark I would say that I am not a very good DJ nor a very good dancer.
I prove on a weekly basis that I am not a good golfer.
There is not alot left that I do for me to get egotistical about.Well maybe one but we will leave that for now.....

Dreadful Scathe
21st-December-2006, 05:08 PM
stuff

You forgot "sensitive" :) It was a joke. I have no reason to think you are egotistical :)

FirstMove
21st-December-2006, 05:44 PM
I vote for John Barrowman. Torchwood is rubbish, he can sing, dance and he's presented stuff in TV and stage in the past.

straycat
21st-December-2006, 05:46 PM
You forgot "sensitive" :) It was a joke. I have no reason to think you are egotistical :)

You're just angling to get negrepped back to 1337, aren't you? Think that ship has sailed... :cool:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-December-2006, 05:53 PM
You're just angling to get negrepped back to 1337, aren't you? Think that ship has sailed... :cool:
I cant bring myself to properly insult people.

you tit.

pawplay
21st-December-2006, 06:41 PM
It was a chance for people from all walks of life, without any kind of classical dance upbringing to "give it a go."

Ask Alex about his experience of this!!! Mine was a fun day but i KNOW i don't want to be a professional dancer.....which is what they are looking for!

David Franklin
21st-December-2006, 06:47 PM
It was a chance for people from all walks of life, without any kind of classical dance upbringing to "give it a go."And get humiliated...

If you look at the couples who make it onto the show proper, about three quarters of them are full-time dance students. Graham Norton says "It doesn't matter if you've had training, come and have a go", but his microphone inexplicably cuts out before he can add "so we can all have a laugh at you"...

Ask Alex about his experience of this!!! Mine was a fun day but i KNOW i don't want to be a professional dancer.....which is what they are looking for!Be more interesting to ask Viktor, I think.

To be honest, I think it's a nasty, mean-spirited show, in contrast to the original SCD which really showed the joy of learning to dance. (I think SCD is getting the same mean streak now, unfortunately...)

TheTramp
21st-December-2006, 06:56 PM
I asked James McLauchlan (of James & Claire from the 1st series) if he'd recommend doing it.

The answer was a resounding no!

David Bailey
21st-December-2006, 08:46 PM
It was a chance for people from all walks of life, without any kind of classical dance upbringing to "give it a go."
Um, no.

It was a chance for Graham Norton to take the p1ss out of people with an actual, you know, talent.

Ask Alex about his experience of this!!! Mine was a fun day but i KNOW i don't want to be a professional dancer.....which is what they are looking for!
:confused: So, it wasn't a chance for people from all walks of life?

I am, as you can tell from my 91 (!) posts on the SCD thread, a big fan of that programme. But SDF turned me right off - it was nasty, negative, patronising and condescending, and we don't need that kind of programme on telly. I'm glad it's gone.

And it was axed because a lot of people felt like me, and didn't watch it. Which kind of restores some faith in the taste of the viewing public.

Before SDF, I mildly disliked GN. After it, I loathed him.

And I resent my taxpayer money paying his massive salary.

Apart from that; it was a great programme :innocent:

ducasi
22nd-December-2006, 01:14 AM
Despite all the faults of SDF, I think the publicity it gave to dancing was positive. I also think that the basic idea was sound, just that the implementation was flawed.

TheTramp
22nd-December-2006, 02:06 AM
I am, as you can tell from my 91 (!) posts on the SCD thread, a big fan of that programme. But SDF turned me right off - it was nasty, negative, patronising and condescending, and we don't need that kind of programme on telly. I'm glad it's gone.

And it was axed because a lot of people felt like me, and didn't watch it. Which kind of restores some faith in the taste of the viewing public.

Before SDF, I mildly disliked GN. After it, I loathed him.

I don't think that it was that bad. Not much worse than any of the other shows of that type. Of which there seem to be 100's these days. Models, West end shows, football players, business people. Soon, we're going to have a Ceroc teacher recruited by this method!

However, I do agree that GN was particularly bad at hosting it. It would have worked much better without him. Maybe with someone who wasn't so patronising, and actually knew something about dancing. Even Craig would have been better at hosting it....

Lynn
22nd-December-2006, 02:50 AM
He has had his day,he cant do anything without cue cards and his delivery is shocking.He is a condescending,patronizing,egotistical has been.That would be why so many of the people he worked with on the show were singing his praises on ITT last night. I think the most commonly used phrase was 'very professional', though of course they also pointed out how good he was at making people at ease and comfortable and at quickly ad libbing when things go wrong, as they do with live TV.

David Bailey
22nd-December-2006, 09:41 AM
That would be why so many of the people he worked with on the show were singing his praises on ITT last night. I think the most commonly used phrase was 'very professional', though of course they also pointed out how good he was at making people at ease and comfortable and at quickly ad libbing when things go wrong, as they do with live TV.
I don't like the way Bruce delivers the "jokes" - those naff one-liners you can see coming 10 miles off. I also don't like the way he says "nice to see you..." etc. at the start, that's quite egotistical. And I agree that he occasionally seems a bit hesitant with all these cue cards etc. - it's not his natural style.

But:

The man's a dancer; at least he clearly has an interest and ability in that area, far beyond that of any other presenter AFAIK. So he knows what he's talking about.
He's sympathetic to competitors, not belittling (as GN is) - usually standing up for them to make them feel good.
He's very good at dealing with "live show" problems - look at the way he handled Mark and Karen's salsa problem, for example, that was classic.

I can't think of anyone who could do a better job.

As for SDF, whilst I agree it was no worse than your average reality show - that's the point, most of them are just rubbish, trash TV. I don't want to see a trash TV dance show.

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-December-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't like the way Bruce delivers the "jokes" - those naff one-liners you can see coming 10 miles off. I also don't like the way he says "nice to see you..." etc. at the start, that's quite egotistical. And I agree that he occasionally seems a bit hesitant with all these cue cards etc. - it's not his natural style.

Yeah I agree about the naff one liners, but theyre not ALL misses. I DO like the "nice to see you" its a catch phrase he has always had and i find it ironic that presenters are criticised for being egotistical, they HAVE to act that way for us to remain interested. The TV programme actually DOES revolve around them. How organised would it be if there was no presenter? hmm

I can't think of anyone who could do a better job.

Agreed. I could think of some who could be as good, but why bother. Hes been the face of SCD for some time.

As for SDF, whilst I agree it was no worse than your average reality show - that's the point, most of them are just rubbish, trash TV. I don't want to see a trash TV dance show.

I'd disagree with that slightly. The first series was positive, in that, even in the early stages it was about getting the best people and a big deal was not made out of the bad/deluded/wooly dancers like Sheepman ;). The 2nd series was negative from the beginning with the proper judges criticising people who were never ever going to get through. This was handled fine the 1st year with the "scouts". Call me cynical, but its almost as if they look for the bad dancers so they can THEN send them before the judges knowing full well they will be ridiculed. :rolleyes:

straycat
22nd-December-2006, 10:37 AM
you tit.

Cheep cheep?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.holt/digiscope/bluetit/blue-tit.jpg

Little Monkey
22nd-December-2006, 12:22 PM
The first series was positive, in that, even in the early stages it was about getting the best people and a big deal was not made out of the bad/deluded/wooly dancers like Sheepman ;).

:rofl:
:what:
:mad:

Are you calling Sheepy a bad, deluded and wooly dancer? Hhhhrrrrmph! Wooly, yes, that can't be denied. But bad? I think interesting is the word you're looking for. Besides, I think he's doing remarkably well for a sheep, and had they known at the SDF auditions that he's actually a sheep, I'm sure his talents would have been recognised, and he'd won the show.:D As to his delusions - why don't you just let the old boy have his dreams and fantasies..... He ain't hurting anyone. Leave him in peace. I'm sure when you reach his grand age, you'll have a few delusions of your own.:wink:

:whistle:

*Runs to hide in case Sheepy reads this post*

:rofl:

PS - love you really, Oh Wooly One!

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-December-2006, 01:10 PM
I have plenty of delusions already :)

anyway, the / implies an OR not an AND. He isnt anything but wooly, but the implication is funny ;)

So , although I wasn't insulting him, it appears you just have. He may have to spank his monkey as soon as possible.

er...

djtrev
22nd-December-2006, 04:01 PM
That would be why so many of the people he worked with on the show were singing his praises on ITT last night. I think the most commonly used phrase was 'very professional', though of course they also pointed out how good he was at making people at ease and comfortable and at quickly ad libbing when things go wrong, as they do with live TV.

Come now Lynn,they are hardly going to appear on ITT and slate the man!!
This is the world of 'lovey' entertainment we are talking about.

Juju
22nd-December-2006, 08:52 PM
Now that's a cute tit. Seriously. I've spent my afternoon chasing the local squirrels with a loaded water pistol because they were raiding my bird table and scaring off the tits et al. Today I'm an off-topic bird brain. :D

Lynn
22nd-December-2006, 09:02 PM
Come now Lynn,they are hardly going to appear on ITT and slate the man!!
This is the world of 'lovey' entertainment we are talking about.Believe me 'condescending, patronising and egotistical' make great TV entertainment - I've seen it with the judges, but not Bruce in SCD. Maybe he just leaves all that to GN.

ElaineB
23rd-December-2006, 11:01 AM
I was lucky enough to get to SCD last year and Bruce was fab! I really didn't like him until then, but seeing him in the flesh, so to speak, changed my mind. He is very witty, especially when something unexpected happens. He also thew in an impromptu (which I expect he does every week :D ) song and dance routine to keep us punters happy. As someone else said, sack the writer, but not Brucie.

VHe is a very talented man - I now look at him with respect! :respect:

Elaine

PS - Re SDF - damm, I was sooo looking forward to Simon and me being the 'Old gits' in the house. :rofl: