PDA

View Full Version : Dancing around non-dancers

Gav
18th-December-2006, 03:58 PM
They're so easily impressed aren't they?

Went to my work xmas p1ss up on Saturday night. Awful xmas music during the meal, then one of my collegue's celidh band for 1/2 hour.
Then the DJ got on and people started dancing.

My friend, Ali, who introduced me to dancing 11 months ago was there and although we never really danced much before and now she's moved away we don't get to dance at all, we've always had a connection.
We danced for about 3 or 4 tracks and it was great. Then I noticed that hardly anyone was still on the dance floor and those that were, were just stood there watching us.
Later I had at least 1/2 a dozen people ask where we learnt to dance. People who didn't know us commenting that we must have been dancing together for years. Apparently a couple of girls tried to copy us later on and I managed to get someone's wife to have a go too.
Someone commented that it was like Strictly Come Dancing. Hehe, shows how little they know, 'cos we're certainly not of that standard! I suppose though, that to your average nightclub dancer, it might look a bit flashy.

We were really showing off once we realised that everyone was watching :blush: I now know that given the opportunity, I love showing off! :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced that anyone will be converted by our little display, but you never know.

Lee Bartholomew
18th-December-2006, 04:08 PM
I used to go clubbing with some people after our MJ classes on a friday night.

Used to get asked all the time to dance with the girls. The amount of blokes that were trying to get their GF's to dance was suprising.

Was great recruitment for local dance club.

Lynn
18th-December-2006, 04:30 PM
Mixed feelings about this. I was at a non-dancers dinner dance but there were several of the Ceroc folk there and I was dancing with them. I tried to find the balance between wanting to give my partners good dances and letting people see how much fun MJ is - but not intimidating people so that they didn't feel able to get up on the dance floor and enjoy their dancing, their way - after all its their evening, not an MJ party.

Gav
18th-December-2006, 04:40 PM
Well there was only the two of us, and the wine was flowing so we didn't hog the floor for too long :blush:

Lynn
18th-December-2006, 04:49 PM
Well there was only the two of us, and the wine was flowing so we didn't hog the floor for too long :blush:Yep, if it was only me and someone else (as it has been sometimes) its not so bad. There were about a dozen MJers at the dinner dance I was at so there could have been the risk that we 'took over' the floor.

Easier for the leads too as they can get non-MJer ups and lead them through some basic moves and I know some of our guys were doing this.

Trouble
18th-December-2006, 04:51 PM
Well there was only the two of us, and the wine was flowing so we didn't hog the floor for too long :blush:

u fibber, i bet you and her were hogging the dance floor all night, you little show off. :whistle: :whistle:

ps: LOVE YOU xx :awe:

Frankie_4711
18th-December-2006, 07:18 PM
I went to a Ceroc friend's work Xmas do last week - he invited me so that he would have someone to dance with. We were up as soon as we could, but started off on a quiet carpetted area by the bar (but being watched by quite a few people) as the dancefloor was being used for the food trolleys at that point. Then the DJ announced that there'd be a couple of tunes to get us warmed up for the cabaret and that anyone was welcome to get up and dance if they wanted 'especially our two jivers'. So we did ... and were the only ones on the floor. After the cabaret, we carried on Cerocing, but by that point the floor was packed and we had to cram ourselves into one little corner, because Muggles have no concept of space or floorcraft! Don't think we got in anyone's way or that anyone felt intimidated by us, but it was nice to show off a bit for a while.

Double Trouble
18th-December-2006, 08:34 PM

Went to my work xmas p1ss up on Saturday night. Awful xmas music during the meal, then one of my collegue's celidh band for 1/2 hour.
Then the DJ got on and people started dancing.

My friend, Ali, who introduced me to dancing 11 months ago was there and although we never really danced much before and now she's moved away we don't get to dance at all, we've always had a connection.
We danced for about 3 or 4 tracks and it was great. Then I noticed that hardly anyone was still on the dance floor and those that were, were just stood there watching us.
Later I had at least 1/2 a dozen people ask where we learnt to dance. People who didn't know us commenting that we must have been dancing together for years. Apparently a couple of girls tried to copy us later on and I managed to get someone's wife to have a go too.
Someone commented that it was like Strictly Come Dancing. Hehe, shows how little they know, 'cos we're certainly not of that standard! I suppose though, that to your average nightclub dancer, it might look a bit flashy.

We were really showing off once we realised that everyone was watching :blush: I now know that given the opportunity, I love showing off! :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced that anyone will be converted by our little display, but you never know.

Strictly Come Dancing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh I forgot, they don't get out much around your way do they Gav. LMFAO.....!!!

SeriouslyAddicted
18th-December-2006, 08:44 PM
Don't really think that it is a problem dancing at a non MJ event as long as you are aware of the "non-dancers" around you. After all not really any different than someone at Karaoke that can actually sing!

I am off to a non MJ event on Sat with some fellow MJers and intend to dance. I'm really an extrovert and so would feel awkward if people stopped to watch us but still intend to dance anyway.

Live and let live - as long as everyone has fun.

tomboh
19th-December-2006, 12:47 AM

I had this at my friends' wedding earlier this year. While talking to people I vaguely knew, it turned out one of them had done some Ceroc. So, despite having drunk a bit, we decided to give it a go.

Half way through the song, we realised everyone else on the dance floor was stood in a big circle around us. Great fun! Unfortunately, I fell flat on my back after a step across, which left me a little dazed. I vaguely realised it would look bad if I stayed on the floor with people watching, so I leapt back to my feet and carried on.

Despite my clumsiness, people still told me it looked good, and I felt a little flattered even though I'm sure it didn't. But it was fun showing off: I guess that's the main thing.

SeriouslyAddicted
19th-December-2006, 09:28 AM
Don't really think that it is a problem dancing at a non MJ event as long as you are aware of the "non-dancers" around you. After all not really any different than someone at Karaoke that can actually sing!

I am off to a non MJ event on Sat with some fellow MJers and intend to dance. I'm really an extrovert and so would feel awkward if people stopped to watch us but still intend to dance anyway.

Live and let live - as long as everyone has fun.

Just seen the error in my post - I was actually meant to say I am not an extrovert :blush:

Dreadful Scathe
19th-December-2006, 09:45 AM

Most people see dance as "moving about a bit when music comes on" and then usually when theyre drunk, they have no concept of "practicing dance" and how long it would take to learn the basics. Any continous partner connection, no matter how good or bad, is likely to impress :)

Shodan
19th-December-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I've noticed this as well. First time was at a friends wedding. Her Aunt had done a little bit of jive. So I took her onto the dance floor and we had some nice dances.
Everyone else there thought we were pros and had been dancing for years.

In actual fact I had only been doing MJ for about a year and I was VERY VERY VERY drunk. :cheers::rofl:

I've noticed though at Salsa parties and events, if a Salsa track comes on that is also MJ-able and I start dancing MJ (I'm more confident at it) with my partner then all the Salsa people look really impressed.
First was at my local Salsa bar and I got comments off Salsa Teachers that I was doing fantastic at Salsa and they didnt realise I knew so much. I was actually MJing with a Salsa style. :rofl:

At the Latin Explosion Salsa/Jive weekender at the start of December this year, it was a combined Salsa & Jive event. I went with my Salsa friends. Took them into the MJ room for a bit to show em what Jive is and again they thought I was some ultimate dance god. :rofl:

So yeah, it can be funny seeing "Muggles" (see above post) watch you dance. Gives me a bit of a buzz giving them some entertainment. :nice:

SteveK
20th-December-2006, 04:22 AM
I was at the company christmas do last year, and got chatting to a colleague from a different office, and it turned out that she had done a bit of Ceroc in the past. I'd only been going dancing for several months, but the live band was playing MJ'able music, so we gave it a go. There were a reasonable amount of other people on the dancefloor, but we found a suitable space. However I will never forget the reaction when I did my first minor drop - I could hear the surprise. I'm not normally that extrovert, but did realise that lots of people were watching us, but still had fun dancing. Lots of people asked me afterwards where I had learnt to dance - so it has to be a good advert for MJ.

I made the effort to ask some other women to dance as well - I guess it is easier for a leader in these situations; especially if you do simple two-handed moves, you can have a reasonable dance with most people willing to have a try.

The awkward question is whether your dancing well is likely to intimidate other people and keep the dancefloor empty, or people are too intimidated by an empty dancefloor, and are more likely to join in if you are already there? Or do you just give in & see who has the most fun doing the movements for YMCA :wink:

TurboTomato
24th-December-2006, 08:26 PM
SeriouslyAddicted and I danced MJ last night at a non-MJ event and we got a round of applause. I was a little embarrassed! :blush:

SA was fab though, we had some great dances :worthy: :respect:

Gav
10th-June-2007, 11:13 AM
Hehe! Done it again. :blush:

Myself, DT, Trouble and DTS went to a family do last night. It was their brother's (1/2 trouble?) 10th anniversary party.
Apart from a dodgy Elvis impersonator (and he was terrible), the music was fantastic. All 70's and 80's soul and funk.

There was the usual mix of Disco diva's, embarrassing uncle/dad dancers and pissed "wave your arms about randomly" people, but no-one 'proper' dancing.

Well the 4 of us had a great time showing off and got the usual mix of reactions, from a thumbs up and clapping from one bloke, a couple asking us where they can get lessons and lots of lemon-sucking expressions. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

On top of all this, I've found the music that really "does it" for me. I always suspected, but soul and funk really gets me going. I didn't even have dancing shoes with me (sticky, grippy shoes are less than ideal :sick:) but I felt on top form because the music just made me want to dance.

Oh, and Double Trouble wiped the floor with them when it came to solo dancing. What an amazing dancer! I could watch her strut her funky thang all night. :awe::awe::awe:

Tessalicious
10th-June-2007, 12:07 PM
Good for you guys!
Oh, and Double Trouble wiped the floor with them when it came to solo dancing. What an amazing dancer! I could watch her strut her funky thang all night. :awe::awe::awe:As long as it wasn't woodface watching her strutting her funky thong in front of a camera...

fletch
10th-June-2007, 12:23 PM
Good for you guys!As long as it wasn't woodface watching her strutting her funky thong in front of a camera...

I think you might find she has more taste :na:

Gav
10th-June-2007, 03:50 PM
I think you might find she has more taste :na:

Indeed! You only need to look at me to see that :rolleyes:.

Twirlie Bird
10th-June-2007, 06:59 PM
We went to our daughter sports presentation evening on Friday night. It was weird. :really: There was a dance floor filled with kids and adults and none of them were dancing. :really: They were kind of moving a little to the music with their arms rigged by their side. Freaky. :confused:

Our daughter wouldn't let us dance. :rofl: However after a little bribing from her coach she said it was OK. :rofl: We didn't really give it our all as the music was beyond a joke. Wish I could Fly - R Kelly? :sick: Anyway once her friends spotted us and said how great we were our daughter was suddenly keen for us to keep dancing. :clap: Dad if you have enough room do an aerial!!!!!!! :rofl:

Of course we didn't. :whistle:

Double Trouble
10th-June-2007, 07:38 PM
Wish I could Fly - R Kelly? :

I think you will find that was Keith Harris and Orville:na:

Unless you were thinking of 'I believe I can fly':rofl:

You're showing your age TB.:wink: :D :wink: